Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RELIEVE JAY GRUDEN OF DUTIES

TK

20 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

Would this be the earliest any head coach has been fired in-season? Can't be much in it if not. Says more about the brain trust that couldn't recognise he was not the solution at the end of last season than anything else.

I tried to look it up and did find that the 2000 Bengals "lost" Bruce Coslet after three games (0-3). But he technically resigned. That seems to be the "modern" record. Funny enough, I actually remember it now. I watched his last game as the Bengals were playing the Ravens. I remember have some Bengal in fantasy football and the Ravens were up big by half time, so I figured I could get some garbage time fantasy points. Instead the Bengals kept running the ball for zero yards over and over and ended up with roughly 100 yards passing. It's like they literally gave up and didn't even try to score. Coslet resigned the next day. So I guess he did give up.

But there were some other close contenders: the 2008 Rams dumped Scott Linehan after 4 games (0-4), which is exactly how long the the 2008 Raiders gave Lane Kiffin  that same year (1-3). The 2005 Rams Mike Martz got axed after 5 games (2-3).

50 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

Would this be the earliest any head coach has been fired in-season? Can't be much in it if not. Says more about the brain trust that couldn't recognise he was not the solution at the end of last season than anything else.

As soon as I saw this, I thought of this...

98AB9F25-5831-4BE5-9A17-EB9870933BA5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

This is pretty much what I was trying to say, but I feel this puts its more eloquently

100% this.  During the offseason you have the chance to evaluate your team, their chances, and what needs to be done for them to compete.  This tweet is the reason Gruden couldnt fire Manusky, because of how it reflected on him.  It would say "I am such a bad judge of anything football that I couldnt figure out he was trash, and if I admit that 5 weeks into the season, I admit he should have been fired in the offseason and Im terrible at my job and should be fired".

So Bruce Allen, by firing Gruden in week 5 has said ""I am such a bad judge of anything football that I couldnt figure out he was trash, and if I admit that 5 weeks into the season, I admit he should have been fired in the offseason and Im terrible at my job and should be fired".

No wait, Bruce said "We all have to take responsibility for this, we have a great culture here, so many great guys, great coaches, great players, if we just had fans who werent terrible, we could be as great as that one AMAZING time we were, that one year we were 5-2 with Alex Smith once.  Remember that?  I made that unbelievable magic happen!  I did that!  But WE havent done good enough here, yet.  Sorry, what was the question?  Something about what color I want to paint the walls, dear?"

2 hours ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

There is not a coach in this World that can be successful under Snyder and Allen. They don't have a clue how to build an NFL team

We would also have accepted a house out of Lincoln logs, a sandwich or a sand castle

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Irony: if Jay had hired a better DC, he might still have a job.

The biggest issue this year has been the under-performance of the defense, with multiple breakdowns and what not.  I think even Jay believes there was more talent on the defense than the production would indicate.

Manusky really got Jay fired.  All the offensive stuff and McCoy vs. Case vs. Haskins is secondary to the collapse of the defense.  

This will mean nothing if they don’t take the rest of this year to try and see what KO has as a play caller and the chemistry he and Haskins have.

Otherwise this move is completely pointless.  

I agree with this. I am still flabbergasted Manusky survived after the Giants loss week 14 of last year. How they couldn't have found anyone to take over DC in the off season is amazing. 

I believe Case is the best option moving forward with Haskins sprinkled in as needed or ready. Hopefully he will be able to slowly  move into the starting position.  Colts weenie arm is not an answer except for 0-16

I am heading to bed praying I wake up to find Allen was relieved of duties

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

This is pretty much what I was trying to say, but I feel this puts its more eloquently

I agree, but I would play devil's advocate and say that these last 5 games (4.5 I guess) were some of the worst played games in franchise history.  I was pessimistic on Gruden coming into the season - but he and the team really out did itself.  Another ****ty unprepared soft start with Jay begging to be fired pretty much from the jump.  I don't absolve Allen for anything (included the initial hire which seemed based on the Tampa connection) - but Gruden really forced their hand even this early.

I have a heard time believing Jay was really passionate about keeping his job. Why else didn't he release a starter or two (Moses would have been a good one) to send a message about accountability the way GIbbs used to, or fire Manusky for being a useless turd? At least it would have shown he was willing to be the bad guy to shake things up and demand better effort out of everyone. 

I think Snyder was patient with Jay to a fault. He really gave him the benefit of the doubt for the last 2 seasons being sabotaged by so many players going on IR. But change had to come. None of us will miss Jay's inability to get plays into the huddle on time, or his resistance to make halftime adjustments.  

12 hours ago, Burgold said:

I suspect that is true, but it's also a matter of degree. Pretty much every rookie QB struggles with the speed of the game and reading defenses when they first get on the field. I wonder how much this is reality vs. excuse making.

After all, did Haskins with no starter snaps really look that much more lost during his start than Colt did yesterday?

TBH I didn't think Haskins looked "lost" vs the Giants on most snaps. I just watched all of his passes again from that game and for the most part he looked pretty poised and decisive. That doesn't mean he made all the right decisions, but I didn't get any feeling of confusion or panic when watching him. That's something you can't really teach. He still needs plenty of work but at this point I'm more inclined to believe it's just getting more experience, reps, and familiarity with NFL defenses. The talent is obviously there and the poise seems to be there as well. Many rookie QBs as unprepared as Haskins was would have let their nerves get the best of them when thrown into that situation but he looked pretty calm. 

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have said before that hiring Barry, if it didn’t work, by itself was a fireable offense. 

It took a while, but I think you can draw a line from that decision to Jay’s ultimate demise.

The line began the day he was hired by his buddy Bruce Allen, who also coincidentally just happened to be buddies with guys like Berry, Calahan, Williams, AJ Smith (Kyle's Dad). Somehow Gruden just randomly hired guys that Bruce would have hired. What a coincidence!

Calahan being shoved into the fire today, is next on the firing line. Williams has been given no access to fire (yet). Kyle seems to be holding his own small niche.

Gruden being fired wasn't a Bruce decision. If he had it his way him and his buddies would go on collectively sucking together in perpetuity. He's the Team president, GM, etc but Dan Snyder still makes the decision to hold the wrong people accountable. Bruce isn't accountable because how would Dan continue this charade without him?

Bruce was responsible for hiring Gruden, Hazlett staying, and more than likely Berry, Calahan, and Manusky being hired. Yet he is still hanging on. The reason he hangs on is because Dan requires the image, or marketing, that this team is being run by somebody who gives the appearance of being qualified (while Dan plays fantasy football in the background).

Dan gets fed up with the predictable disfunction and orders his puppet to knock off a few of his buddies. Bruce plays along but he's running out of buddies. Nobody seems to understand why Bruce is still here despite having just about the worst run of 10 years in team history.

It couldn't be more obvious. Dan hides in the closet. He's not speaking because Bruce is. Those are Bruce's actual words.

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe.  Maybe not. Always changing, the future is.

The NFL, and sports, are littered with examples of bottom dwelling franchises which caught a break and took off.  The Saints were the 'Aints for decades.  They make the right coaching hire, MAYBE the right GM hire (Loomis?  I dunno, that guy is pretty sketchy also), get a franchise QB, and whammo.  

The Bidwells are awful owners.  They got Ariens and Warner and got to a SB.  

The Pats were atrocious for basically their entire existence.  Now they are the model franchise.  And people thought Kraft was a complete looney tune for trading picks for Belichick, who was under contract with the Jets.  

Hell, even the damn Yankees were a disgrace for a number of years until the Joe Tore era.  

I'm not saying it WILL happen.  Just that it COULD happen.  

Sure, it could happen but Dan isn't changing his stripes.   We could get lucky and go on a winning streak and ride it all the way to a Superbowl.  It would be a fluke season, if that happens.  Dan Snyder will never field a consistent winning team.

I am just amazed of just how stupid he is.  He so easily believes the crap that Brucifer is telling him. Doesn't Dan realize; he is losing a generation of fans.  Once we older fans, who remember the Gibbs glory years die off; who is Dan going to have? He stupidly believes a new stadium will solve everything.  No it won't.   Instead of crap at FEdex, it will be crap in a shiney new stadium.   He thinks that will be his legacy?  Building a new stadium?  No, his legacy will be taking a beloved franchise and destroying it.  The Skins are completely irrelevant in a town; where they used to be king.  

Guarantee you, Bruce is here next year and the fanbase will dwindle to nothing.   When Brucifer is then fired in 2-3 years; there won't be much a fanbase left.   It's going to take the Skins probably making the playoffs 3 straight years to recover some of the fanbase.  As some have mention here before, it's doudtful the Skins every recapture the fandom during the 80's glory years.

Snyder has been an owner for 21 years.  He's seen what the successful teams do. Why doesn't he want to emulate those teams?  Doesn't he realize; he will be the toast of the town; if the Skins were a consistent playoff team.  The occasional Superbowl birth say every 4-6 years?

I don't think we are anywhere near rock bottom.  I was watching some discussions on the potential replacements and I was laughing.  Urban Meyer, Mike Tomlin, Lincoln Riley, Eric Bieniemy, Josh McDaniels, Mike Mccarthy, Jim Harbaugh, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Jason Garrett, Mike Pettine, Wade Phillips, Greg Williams, etc..

Maybe the last 3 would consider it if offered.  I don't see any quality coach coming here with Bruce still on the team.  So, I fully expect a Jim Zorn type hire and in 2-3 years; we are here again.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't think we are anywhere near rock bottom.  I was watching some discussions on the potential replacements and I was laughing.  Urban Meyer, Mike Tomlin, Lincoln Riley, Eric Bieniemy, Josh McDaniels, Mike Mccarthy, Jim Harbaugh, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Jason Garrett, Mike Pettine, Wade Phillips, Greg Williams, etc..

Maybe the last 3 would consider it if offered.  I don't see any quality coach coming here with Bruce still on the team.  So, I fully expect a Jim Zorn type hire and in 2-3 years; we are here again.

If history is a guide (and can repeat itself) Dan fired Vinny the first time because the coach he really wanted (Marty) demanded it as a condition of his hiring. If Snyder really wants a coach that might spell the end of Allen's tenure. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

If history is a guide (and can repeat itself) Dan fired Vinny the first time because the coach he really wanted (Marty) demanded it as a condition of his hiring. If Snyder really wants a coach that might spell the end of Allen's tenure. 

That is not true. Marty came here then fired Vinnie.  Snyder got pissed and rehired Vinnie and fired Marty.  

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Dan also fired Vinny again  because he hired Zorn, and there was nobody at the KC game, and Dan realized he had up do something.

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That is not true. Marty came here then fired Vinnie.  Snyder got pissed and rehired Vinnie and fired Marty.  

I think this might be semantics. The fact is that Marty wanted somebody else, and Dan chose Marty over Vinny. 

Archived