Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RELIEVE JAY GRUDEN OF DUTIES

TK

21 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

That article suggests they're not even close. As much as Bowser wants the Redskins back, she also wants the RFK land to be used for more than just a losing football team. Her political opponents would have a field day if that space is used exclusively for that and she knows it.

I assume that Bowser and Snyder are working on a larger, multipurpose commercial project like what the Rams are doing in Inglewood. It's how you can sell a project like this to a skeptical electorate (and keep the business donor bucks flowing).

3 hours ago, dc1 said:

Would you have preferred that Jay wasn't fired?

And please answer the question because all of us would have preferred 5 or more Superbowls within the last 20 years (and all of the competence that comes with it).

I'm not sure what good firing a coach 5 games into a season does. Particularly the brutal early schedule the Redskins had. Even the most optimistic of fans would likely have taken 2-3 as an absolute best case scenario, and even that seems wildly optimistic. So you knew the team would start slowly. If you're going to fire Gruden, it should have happened in the off-season. Otherwise, you might as well ride out the season. Unless Gruden was actively hurting the team (and as much as some don't like Jay, I don't think anything has really changed from the last few years).

I tend to think firing coaches mid-season in the NFL is an exercise in futility. It's not like other sports. Systems take months to implement and no one taking over will have any real ability to change much. So it's basically being a caretaker for someone else's bad team. If anything, it heightens the possibility this all spirals out of control and the team completely craters (and no, that has not happened yet). Which at least gives them a high draft pick. But it generally does nothing for 2019. Everyone's in limbo without any real boss around. That generally does not go well and riding that wave for 11 more weeks is risky.

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'm not sure what good firing a coach 5 games into a season does. Particularly the brutal early schedule the Redskins had. Even the most optimistic of fans would likely have taken 2-3 as an absolute best case scenario, and even that seems wildly optimistic. So you knew the team would start slowly. If you're going to fire Gruden, it should have happened in the off-season. Otherwise, you might as well ride out the season. Unless Gruden was actively hurting the team (and as much as some don't like Jay, I don't think anything has really changed from the last few years).

I tend to think firing coaches mid-season in the NFL is an exercise in futility. It's not like other sports. Systems take months to implement and no one taking over will have any real ability to change much. So it's basically being a caretaker for someone else's bad team. If anything, it heightens the possibility this all spirals out of control and the team completely craters (and no, that has not happened yet). Which at least gives them a high draft pick. But it generally does nothing for 2019. Everyone's in limbo without any real boss around. That generally does not go well and riding that wave for 11 more weeks is risky.

I know, all of that sounds awesome.

Things are only going to get worse, and with Jay out of the way, all the media attention will spotlight Bruce, who is the bigger problem. He won't be able to hide behind Callahan, who is obviously an exercise in futility. 

We need to crater. 

7 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The team has "not performed up to expectations"? Yes it has. 

That's how out of touch our leadership is. They expected this would be a good team. 

I disagree.  I think the team has fallen far short of expectations defensively.

There is some talent there.  There is at least enough talent there not to be the worst defensive unit in the NFL.  

What's mind boggling is that it's guys who have been around who just don't know what they are supposed to do.  Mixups in the secondary between guys who have been here.  That's on coaching.  And while it might not be directly on Jay for the defensive side of the ball, it's on Jay to hire the right coaches and then hold the coaches AND the players accountable for their mistakes.  

The constant "yeah, we've got to go look at it and we'll work on it and get it corrected" which has been the line for 5.25 years just wasn't working.

And I'll be honest, I really believe that between Nicholson, Dunny, Moreau, Collins, and yes, even Norman, there should not be defensive mixups in the secondary.  Which happens week after week after week.  I could understand if "the people's corner" didn't get a call right, or blew something, he's a rookie, and that's expected.  The rest of the guys are not, and all have had some degree of success in the league.

I'm not saying that those guys might not get beat 1:1 because they lack talent.  But at least they should be in the right spot to get beat, rather than allowing a guy to run wide open down the middle of the field, and then all looking at each other like, "wait, I thought you had him?"  

The biggest thing Jay lacked as a leader was the ability to hold anybody accountable for anything.  Some can say that starts with Dan and Bruce.  And I agree.  But Jay was the head coach.  He has the authority to hold players and coaches responsible.  

Even after this loss, in the press conference, he was asked if there were any changes coming, and he said no. "I don't see the benefit of making any changes right now, in season. We're not going to be able to implement an entirely new defensive scheme."  Or something like that.  Well, maybe not.  But if your team keeps making the same mistakes, you have to try SOMETHING.  Anything.  Just a change from the status quo.  It almost doesn't matter what it is and if it works.  You're 0-5 and have the worst defense in the NFL.  Just do SOMETHING to shake things up.  

It's the very definition of insanity.  Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  

Jay is a likable guy, and a good passing game designer.  But he lacks the intestinal fortitude to hold people accountable for their mistakes. 

Belichick cost his team a better shot at a SB by benching their best corner because he broke team rules. (I don't remember the specifics, honestly). Made it damn clear it wasn't injury related by playing him on ST.  That might be extreme, and it's possible only Belichick can get away with it because of his track record, but the message is loud and clear: you do your job, or we don't need you.  

Jay allowed players and coaches to not do their job with no repercussions.  Ever.  Moses can't stop false starting?  "Hey Morgan.  Why don't you just come and stand next to me for a game or two until you figure that out. We're going to see if somebody else can do better."  Norman keeps getting beat like a drum?  Bench him.  Try something else.  The results can't be worse, so what's the harm?  

I have no illusions that Callahan is going to be any better than Jan.  He might be worse.  And firing Jay without an overhaul of the entire FO and coaching staff is pointless.  As I have pointed out.  

However, this team did not perform to it's level of talent. At least defensively.  If you pressed me, I could almost give a pass offensively because of the QB situation and the injury situation.  (Though I do think a better coach could maximize the talent more than Jay did, I'm not sure if it would be enough to really argue about.)

But the defense under-performed.  And there has been lack of discipline and no accountability for anybody.  And Jay wasn't able to figure out how to even try and right the ship.  

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Are you Dan snyder?

I'm not.

I will say that the buc stops with him (without question), but he gets entirely to much blame.

A large majority of our problems have been coaching and QB play synergy.

Impatience is not an issue here.  No team or owner would have had the patience that the Skins had with Jay.

Lastly, remember that no one talked about the greatest of Kraft or Bill until there was a Tom and Bill.   

This can turn, folks can learn and grow.

I'm taking this one step forward with a smile and will judge the rest of the season base on what we learn from it and how we react during the office season.

Should have Bruce but Danny never gets it right. Speaking of never getting it right found this on Haskins.

From what I’ve learned from talking to the football side of the organization, Haskins is struggling to identify defenses, and he’s really having a hard time calling plays in the huddle. So in terms of him being ready at this point, I’m told he’s not. In fact, one coach said to me, ‘Not only is he not ready right now, but it could be a year, maybe even two more years, before Dwayne Haskins can actually be a starter in Washington.’

9 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Should have Bruce but Danny never gets it right. Speaking of never getting it right found this on Haskins.

From what I’ve learned from talking to the football side of the organization, Haskins is struggling to identify defenses, and he’s really having a hard time calling plays in the huddle. So in terms of him being ready at this point, I’m told he’s not. In fact, one coach said to me, ‘Not only is he not ready right now, but it could be a year, maybe even two more years, before Dwayne Haskins can actually be a starter in Washington.’

Same problems as Robert. 

If he can't read defenses, he's gonna get killed out there. 

Insanity indeed. 

13 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Sounds more like a scouting problem.  Which equals a front office problem.  None of our issues will get fixed under this front office.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I disagree.  I think the team has fallen far short of expectations defensively.

There is some talent there.  There is at least enough talent there not to be the worst defensive unit in the NFL.  

<edited out the rest of the comment. not because it isn't good stuff but for thread hygiene's sake>

Fair enough. Maybe I'm over reacting when I say this team is playing right where I expected it to be. I also expected them to be better. But I betcha, Bruce and Dan expected a playoff team and I think they are nowhere near that. I think they have the rosiest or glasses on, which is no good.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I heard on the radio that the Skins are trying to find a way to not pay Gruden the remainder of his contract.  I'm sure that has something to do with the leaked videos.

Probably didn't want a new interim coach to go up against the Patriots.  Can't set up a guy for failure much more than that.

Losing to NE isn't really failure.  Losing to Miami on the other hand...

3 hours ago, RememberOsaka said:

Know someone who works for Pepco who told me months ago that the groundwork has been laid for a return to DC.  Danny thinks this will be his saving grace and legacy.  Right now it's Vinny, Bruce, and losing.

Dan is delusional. At best, Dan will get opening day of the new stadium.

The fan base will further erode. The stadium will be full of other team's fans. The Skins will decline even more in ratings.

His legacy will be, the utter elimination of the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Fair enough. Maybe I'm over reacting when I say this team is playing right where I expected it to be. I also expected them to be better. But I betcha, Bruce and Dan expected a playoff team and I think they are nowhere near that. I think they have the rosiest or glasses on, which is no good.

Yeah, this was never a playoff team.  But they also shouldn't be 0-5, and they shouldn't have the worst rated defense.

They should probably be a 7-9 team with a middling defense and a struggling offense.  

But they are a train wreck defensively.  And that's a problem.  

8 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Same problems as Robert. 

If he can't read defenses, he's gonna get killed out there. 

Insanity indeed. 

To think these guys even considered drafting him when his hand was held at Ohio State with everybody wide open with minutes to stand in the pocket and throw and played QB only one season and then even considered drafting him just pizzas me off. How stupid can you be? Bruce is incompetent. Why wasn't he fired? Why????????

They fired Jay after losing to the Patriots. Can you believe that? The Patriots. Just goes to show the jazz backwards thinking those two ( Danny and Bruce ) are capable o0f and actually do.

11 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

I'm not calling you out on this as I believe you posted it in good faith, but I urge anyone to think about the sources before fully believing the content.

First there is no mention of the original writer, and he/she claims to have information from "the football side of the organisation" and then went on to quote "one coach".

I realise that writers like to protect their sources, but I it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the validity of the information.

1 minute ago, theTruthTeller said:

Losing to NE isn't really failure.  Losing to Miami on the other hand...

Losing to any team is a failure.  Just some are more expected than others.

You wouldn't want the first thing your interm coach does is to play a juggarnaught like NE.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dan is delusional. At best, Dan will get opening day of the new stadium.

The fan base will further erode. The stadium will be full of other team's fans. The Skins will decline even more in ratings.

His legacy will be, the utter elimination of the fanbase.

Maybe.  Maybe not. Always changing, the future is.

The NFL, and sports, are littered with examples of bottom dwelling franchises which caught a break and took off.  The Saints were the 'Aints for decades.  They make the right coaching hire, MAYBE the right GM hire (Loomis?  I dunno, that guy is pretty sketchy also), get a franchise QB, and whammo.  

The Bidwells are awful owners.  They got Ariens and Warner and got to a SB.  

The Pats were atrocious for basically their entire existence.  Now they are the model franchise.  And people thought Kraft was a complete looney tune for trading picks for Belichick, who was under contract with the Jets.  

Hell, even the damn Yankees were a disgrace for a number of years until the Joe Tore era.  

I'm not saying it WILL happen.  Just that it COULD happen.  

8 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm not calling you out on this as I believe you posted it in good faith, but I urge anyone to think about the sources before fully believing the content.

First there is no mention of the original writer, and he/she claims to have information from "the football side of the organisation" and then went on to quote "one coach".

I realise that writers like to protect their sources, but I it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the validity of the information.

On ESPN’s Get Up, Russini reported that a coach from the organization told her that Haskins has trouble identifying defenses at the moment, and he’s having a hard time calling plays in the huddle. She's Mike Greenberg's girl. It's valid. No reason to think otherwise either.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Firing Jay for cause based on a video from years ago would be unprecedentedly low. And for this group, that’s saying something.

What's even worst is that Bruce got Jay because of the Tampa connection.

If they go on this way, you can talk about the definition of "Loyalty' to Bruce Allen...

Archived