Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think okudah, Simmons, and jeudy will all have strong draft processes, and it will come down to teams deciding positional preference.

I also think espinosa is a 4-3 d end, and Simmons a will olb in the 4-3, so different position.

That being said, young vs jeudy / delpit / Espinosa is an interesting debate.  Swap in okudah for jeudy, and you get your pass rusher in addition to upgrades at FS and CB which many believe should be a priority.  Or Simmons being a stud and filling our olb need.  Simmons / lamb / Espinosa would be a good haul as well.

Maybe this will come down to how close Simmons is to Young as an NFL prospect and how he fits into what JDR likes to do on defense? If the gap isn't that far between the two then maybe they do trade out and go with Simmons and however many other players they get in a deal? But if Young is just that far ahead they stay put. 

• Like 1

I posted this on the draft thread but it fits here, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chase-young-best-player-in-college-football-154802867.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The first overmatched victim of Ohio State defensive end Chase Young flashes on a projector screen in the Buckeyes football facility. Defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley hits pause to single out an offensive tackle from Florida Atlantic, frozen in game-film infamy amid an autopsy of Young’s sacks.

Hafley see-saws the film until it stops in the precise place that shows Young vaulting a half-step toward the quarterback an instant after the snap. There’s a tone of pity in Hafley’s voice, as the Florida Atlantic linemen are still lined up perfectly still like a row of folding chairs.

A half-step advantage for a defensive lineman is like a 10-yard cushion for a wide receiver, and Young appears poised to bull-rush past the line with the ease of fans flowing through a turnstile.

“Not one of the offensive linemen is moving,” Hafley said, shaking his head. “It’s. Over. Doesn’t it look like he’s running out of the blocks in a track meet?”

When the film resumes, Young proceeds to barrel around the edge virtually unimpeded for one of his 9.5 sacks, a total that’s tied for No. 1 in college football. The frozen moments of singular dominance have come in flourishes through seven games, as the image of Young’s blond dreadlocks splayed out behind him as he mauls helpless quarterbacks has seemingly played on a loop this season.

Young is a 6-foot-6, 270-pound freak who appears to be darting toward greatness like, well, a sprinter coming out of the blocks. Former Buckeye Nick Bosa compares Young’s skill set to elite NFL rush ends Khalil Mack and Von Miller, two generational pass-rush talents. “That type of get-off,” Bosa told Yahoo Sports recently. “He has that speed first, power second.”

Young’s potential invokes the hyperbole of an athlete that can change the paradigm of the position. Along with consistently mangling quarterbacks, he can also fluidly drop back into coverage, block kicks and has an imposing physique that one NFL scout likens to LeBron James.

• Like 7

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Maybe this will come down to how close Simmons is to Young as an NFL prospect and how he fits into what JDR likes to do on defense? If the gap isn't that far between the two then maybe they do trade out and go with Simmons and however many other players they get in a deal? But if Young is just that far ahead they stay put. 

Either way, I hope they keep their plans close to the vest and make their rounds of phone calls to see what the asking price is for the pick.  Even if they internally know they are staying at 2, it could help for similar situations in the future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Either way, I hope they keep their plans close to the vest and make their rounds of phone calls to see what the asking price is for the pick.  Even if they internally know they are staying at 2, it could help for similar situations in the future.

Personally, I hope somebody snip their phone lines because that's how bad I want Young on this team but I understand where you're coming from.

• Like 1

We're gonna have to spend the next three months contemplating these scenarios and listening to wild unfounded rumors, its going to be torture.

I'll say this, if we had the 5th the 12th and the 26th pick in the first round and we traded them all for an edge rusher I think I'd be pretty frustrated especially considering we're a 3 win team with a whole new staff top to bottom.

Seems like a pretty good time to have 3 first round picks, with that said if Miami offered us that I'd have to take it, it's the smart thing to do even if it doesn't land us the sexiest player available. 

Draft capital like that should only be used for quarterbacks and even then you aren't guaranteed anything as we all know.

I don't know why anyone would want to give up Chase Young for three additional picks.  No way!  My reasoning is the Niners.  Bosa, paired with Ford has made them elite.  Aaron Rodgers again was reduced to mediocrity in the first half.  INT's, fumbles.  And it all started with the rattling of him upfront.  And when you hear what Nick Bosa says about Chase, IMO the guy is worth two top 10 picks.

Sean Taylor, for us, as one example was an elite player that elevated our D and made them special.  Chase Young, in terms of talent and potential, is the closest we have come to signing an equivalent player.  He is the closest we have come to a piece on the board that can radically change a game.  Rattle a QB.  A player that needs to be accounted for. Someone like him can take the most important piece, the QB,  and make them look pedestrian.  Look at what happened again to Aaron Rodgers.  With Bosa and Ford, they did it to him in week 12 and they did it again during the NFC championship game.

It is not said that defenses win championships for nothing.  ELITE D's can make solid QB's with serviceable lines look very bad.  The Niners are elite on the D side of the ball now.  Just two years ago they were average.  Now they are young, strong and fast.  We need that.  You start with a major piece like the Niners did signing Nick Bosa, pair that player with a proven FA, like Ford and watch what happens.   Sherman looks good cause the guys upfront make it very hard for the opposing O lines and thus the QB's, to make poor or average throws.

Build your D with a strong FA signing this year, after you take Chase, and then add another piece in next years draft.  With patience and wise choices the Skins have a chance to look like the Niners IMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

It is not said that defenses win championships for nothing.  ELITE D's can make solid QB's with serviceable lines look very bad.  The Niners are elite on the D side of the ball now.  Just two years ago they were average.  Now they are young, strong and fast.  We need that.  You start with a major piece like the Niners did signing Nick Bosa, pair that player with a proven FA, like Ford and watch what happens.   Sherman looks good cause the guys upfront make it very hard for the opposing O lines and thus the QB's, to make poor or average throws.

Just for arguments sake, lets say those three picks were all on the Oline? Do you think it would be worth it to sacrifice Young for a young, complete and powerful Oline? 

Not asking for any particular reason, just that I know you have an opinion on this kinda stuff and im curious. 

41 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I think Greenlaw at LB is a very underrated aspect of their ability to pressure with their front. 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

We're gonna have to spend the next three months contemplating these scenarios and listening to wild unfounded rumors, its going to be torture.

I'll say this, if we had the 5th the 12th and the 26th pick in the first round and we traded them all for an edge rusher I think I'd be pretty frustrated especially considering we're a 3 win team with a whole new staff top to bottom.

Seems like a pretty good time to have 3 first round picks, with that said if Miami offered us that I'd have to take it, it's the smart thing to do even if it doesn't land us the sexiest player available. 

Draft capital like that should only be used for quarterbacks and even then you aren't guaranteed anything as we all know.

I'm kinda with ya here bud, especially when you put it this way.  I have a hard time passing on a guy like Young, because he's got the ability to truly be great.  If a guy like that falls in your lap, you have to look at it like a heck of an opportunity.  That said, if we, as you said, traded those 3 picks for Mack, I'd have been PISSED.... and Mack is proven.  

If we could end up with those 3 picks, add Simmons, a top WR, and a top CB... we could be adding a lot to this team.

• Like 1

In a quarterback driven league, I think it's important to be able to disrupt the QB as much as possible.  Quite frankly, if we can get a guy that can make life miserable for Dak, Wentz (whenever he's healthy) and whatever gump they have up in in NY, that's great.  I love the 49ers defense, it's awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Just for arguments sake, lets say those three picks were all on the Oline? Do you think it would be worth it to sacrifice Young for a young, complete and powerful Oline? 

Not asking for any particular reason, just that I know you have an opinion on this kinda stuff and im curious. 

Okay all three picks were on the Oline?  Good thing that was not Kirk Cousins.  Just have to throw that in there because their lines are comparable.  And neither the Pack or the Vikings could get the run going. 

But to answer this is an argument being made by some. So if the QB is the most important position on the team your chances of not having that talent disrupted by a superior D line should be your most important goal right?  One of my favorite QB's of all time is Aaron Rodgers.  But for him to do what he does, he needs, like any a better O line.   Sometimes he has had that this year and sometimes he has not.  This is the end result of NOT.  They did okay against Chicago, but not these guys.

I saw guys getting opened. But if your running for your life and can never set your feet,  or get into a bit of a rhythm, because your O line is so average or just plain not good, against something so superior, coming right at it, well your get these sort of results.   I would never blame a QB for a woefully underperforming O line against a superior D line.  Because they are probably going to lose.  The Niners D in week 12 did the same thing they did this past weekend. The game was over at  half time IMO. 

And the Packers D just could not hold up against the run.  They got pummeled on the ground for over 200 yards by a guy who was cut by SEVEN teams before he landed on the Niners.  By the third quarter Jimmie G had only thrown for 40 yards.    

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm kinda with ya here bud, especially when you put it this way.  I have a hard time passing on a guy like Young, because he's got the ability to truly be great.  If a guy like that falls in your lap, you have to look at it like a heck of an opportunity.  That said, if we, as you said, traded those 3 picks for Mack, I'd have been PISSED.... and Mack is proven.  

To be fair, we’d also be taking on Mack’s salary.  That would (in this situation) be the most maddening part for me.  

53 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If we could end up with those 3 picks, add Simmons, a top WR, and a top CB... we could be adding a lot to this team.

And that’s not to mention we could trade down to add more picks.  I would probably stay with Simmons or Okudah (at 5, if we traded with the Dolphins), but trade down the others depending on who’s there and what my board looked like.  
Perhaps the biggest variable to me is what we have at oline prior to the draft.  If the best we have is a journeyman type LT and RG, with Martin penciled in at RG... I’m looking hard at trade down options.  Even if we lock up our two guards but don’t have a (good) left tackle... a trade down would be tempting.  

With that said, that killer speed off the edge is so hard to pass on - and our pressure metrics back that up.  

I wish we had a sense for how good this D will be under Del Rio sans Young, because if the dline looked really good with the guys we have, we might far prefer a trade back to add a stud corner and other pieces.  Ditto the offense under Turner... if we were a stud receiver away from being an elite unit, we might want to do something different in the draft.  Is what it is though.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted this on the draft thread but it fits here, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chase-young-best-player-in-college-football-154802867.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The first overmatched victim of Ohio State defensive end Chase Young flashes on a projector screen in the Buckeyes football facility. Defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley hits pause to single out an offensive tackle from Florida Atlantic, frozen in game-film infamy amid an autopsy of Young’s sacks.

Hafley see-saws the film until it stops in the precise place that shows Young vaulting a half-step toward the quarterback an instant after the snap. There’s a tone of pity in Hafley’s voice, as the Florida Atlantic linemen are still lined up perfectly still like a row of folding chairs.

A half-step advantage for a defensive lineman is like a 10-yard cushion for a wide receiver, and Young appears poised to bull-rush past the line with the ease of fans flowing through a turnstile.

“Not one of the offensive linemen is moving,” Hafley said, shaking his head. “It’s. Over. Doesn’t it look like he’s running out of the blocks in a track meet?”

When the film resumes, Young proceeds to barrel around the edge virtually unimpeded for one of his 9.5 sacks, a total that’s tied for No. 1 in college football. The frozen moments of singular dominance have come in flourishes through seven games, as the image of Young’s blond dreadlocks splayed out behind him as he mauls helpless quarterbacks has seemingly played on a loop this season.

Young is a 6-foot-6, 270-pound freak who appears to be darting toward greatness like, well, a sprinter coming out of the blocks. Former Buckeye Nick Bosa compares Young’s skill set to elite NFL rush ends Khalil Mack and Von Miller, two generational pass-rush talents. “That type of get-off,” Bosa told Yahoo Sports recently. “He has that speed first, power second.”

Young’s potential invokes the hyperbole of an athlete that can change the paradigm of the position. Along with consistently mangling quarterbacks, he can also fluidly drop back into coverage, block kicks and has an imposing physique that one NFL scout likens to LeBron James.

Good to know he is comfortable dropping back in coverage.......

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I would probably stay with Simmons or Okudah (at 5, if we traded with the Dolphins), but trade down the others depending on who’s there and what my board looked like.  
Perhaps the biggest variable to me is what we have at oline prior to the draft.  If the best we have is a journeyman type LT and RG, with Martin penciled in at RG... I’m looking hard at trade down options.  Even if we lock up our two guards but don’t have a (good) left tackle... a trade down would be tempting.  

I dont see Miami trading their three first rounders for the second overall pick unless its a QB.   Also dont know if Okundah will be there at five either.  

Reasonably If there is a trade down we are dropping down, in the first, picking up a second and then more coming later.

My point is we wont have two selections in the first, we have to be sold on the one guy in the first, second and anything after.  Also option to trade down again and obtain more later rd picks.

Edited by amm0409

29 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

I dont see Miami trading their three first rounders for the second overall pick unless its a QB.   Also dont know if Okundah will be there at five either.  

Sure, I was just responding to a hypothetical.  Of course, it would be for a qb in Miami’s case.  Sure, there’s no telling if Okudah makes it to 5 (Giants are strong possility, IMO), but then you take Simmons.  If you don’t love Simmons, perhaps another trade back or we take a tackle or receiver, I don’t know.  

I think it’s almost guaranteed Miami doesn’t trade all 3 1sts to trade up, unless it were to 1 for Burrow (which I highly doubt).  Now, if Tua were healthy and they wanted the second pick of the draft... but he’s not.  

Reasonably If there is a trade down we are dropping down, in the first, picking up a second and then more coming later.

My point is we wont have two selections in the first, we have to be sold on the one guy in the first, second and anything after.  Also option to trade down again and obtain more later rd picks.

If the offer is a 2nd rounder, I’m only trading back ad far as 3... and that’s only if we are assured of still landing Young.  
I may be misunderstanding you, but this hypothetical would have us picking up an extra 1st (and then some).  The extra 1st could then potentially be parlayed into more picks.  

Edit: the hypothetical was 5, 12, 26... but the Dolphins have 5, 18, 26

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 1:52 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Have you noticed how in photos nowadays everybody folds their hands over their junk like they're standing naked in the shower?

Except #79.. who can't reach his own junk.   

I think we have just confirmed why he picked football over basketball :)

Vs3lTuF.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Good to know he is comfortable dropping back in coverage.......

Nothing wrong with a DE occasionally dropping into coverage when it's meant to disguise like in a fire zone blitz. Biggest problem Manusky had was he was so ludicrously predictable at it. He might as well have just gone over to the opposing OC pregame and explained the exact plays he was going to run.

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

In a quarterback driven league, I think it's important to be able to disrupt the QB as much as possible.  Quite frankly, if we can get a guy that can make life miserable for Dak, Wentz (whenever he's healthy) and whatever gump they have up in in NY, that's great.  I love the 49ers defense, it's awesome. 

I agree.

I recall Joe Gibbs 1.0 when queried about trading or using a high draft pick saying something along the lines of——  an early draft pick is a rare commodity and you want to make the most of it by getting the kind of player that is a difference maker on the field. He went on to say that if there’s a great qb and you don’t have one you take him— period. If not, you look for someone that can get to the quarterback and disrupt a defense on his own or someone on offense that can score touchdowns. Someone that must be accounted for when coaches make up their game plans.

The irony is that I think that was the year that Gibbs selected Desmond Howard with the 4th pick. He never lived up to his lofty draft status with us and I believe we eventually traded him to Oakland.

Regardless, that was an evaluation error. I put that more on Casserly than Joe. I think the general theory remains sound.

I suspect that if Joe 1.0 had the pick he would listen to offers but in the end Chase Young would be wearing burgundy and gold.

Edited by SumTingWong