Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Did you watch the clip above that I posted? The one of the pressures and QB hits from the Clemson game?

The only thing that I've seen to support your contention is the highlight of him getting a sack and forcing a fumble that is recovered and returned by a team mate. He looked like he wanted no part of blocking on the return. I didn't love that either, but it's probably just a business decision. If he gets significantly hurt on a return, he could lose tens of millions of dollars. It's also a play where we are complaining that he didn't play hard enough AFTER he already sacked the QB and forced a fumble. 

To your point, can you imagine being one game away from becoming a multi millionaire with the only thing standing in your way is a major injury? I'm not saying this was on Young's or any other players mind but how could it not be? Young got to see his teammate, Bosa, sit out the entire season so he wouldn't get hurt. Don't you think they talk? Forget the last game and watch all of the games where he was trying to prove himself and get himself into position to be a high draft pick....that's the guy everyone is raving about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good showcase here of how having multiple good D lineman can help feed off each other

The twist stunt from the second play in that video was run multiple times, very successfully, by Ohio State in the last video I posted. I still think that we should get creative with that stunt. Line Sweat up outside and twist him inside of Young, for instance. 

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

One bad knee, and the entire resource is gone. Get multiple picks and you have a much better chance of having impact players. 

You can get rich by investing in a few decent businesses at when they are about to get bigger. You get wealthy by hitting on a one in a million. Not saying you are wrong, I just have been blown away by chase this year, he is going to be so good. His floor is Jadeveon clowney, which would be a huge let down. I see LT/Peppers/Kearse as his other three Comps, the middle  average of which is peppers which is very good. 

Also I'm a sucker for local kids and he's from about 20 minutes from where I live now

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm honestly at a loss as to what gave you were watching. Chase Young had 10 QB pressures and 4 QB hits. Clemson spent the entire  night doing everything they could to stay away from him

clemson literally ran two types of plays. runs where the QB dropped back towards chases side acting like he had the ball to help the LT ride Chase back towards him and think he was winning and play action boots to the otherside. Other than those two play types they double/triole teamed Chase. 

It was very effective. Chase may have been thinking big picture I guess also. 

There is one other thing to consider: This coaching staff presumably will know how to maximize talent.  

I remember when the Skins drafted Preston Smith because “We wanted to get pass rush across from Kerrigan.”

Then they spent the next 4 years dropping one of the two of them into coverage, basically negating the whole purpose of drafting him.

I just don’t see Ron and Jack being Barry/Manusky level of incompetent.  If they have a whole glut of pass rushers I trust them to figure out how to use them.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

You can get rich by investing in a few decent businesses at when they are about to get bigger. You get wealthy by hitting on a one in a million. Not saying you are wrong, I just have been blown away by chase this year, he is going to be so good. His floor is Jadeveon clowney, which would be a huge let down. I see LT/Peppers/Kearse as his other three Comps, the middle  average of which is peppers which is very good. 

Also I'm a sucker for local kids and he's from about 20 minutes from where I live now

I get it. But you can also get uber rich by hitting a few decent businesses and be less likely to go dead ass broke...  🙂  

Anyway, as i said I would not be devastated if they sit tight and draft Chase. I will be whooping and hollering and excited just like everyone else. If his game transfers to the NFL he certainly could be a beast. And we do need some of what Scot M called blue chip players. 

I like to see local kids come home too. I will happy either way. The only way I get pissed is if they don't take Chase and they don't trade down. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is one other thing to consider: This coaching staff presumably will know how to maximize talent.  

I remember when the Skins drafted Preston Smith because “We wanted to get pass rush across from Kerrigan.”

Then they spent the next 4 years dropping one of the two of them into coverage, basically negating the whole purpose of drafting him.

I just don’t see Ron and Jack being Barry/Manusky level of incompetent.  If they have a whole glut of pass rushers I trust them to figure out how to use them.

I totally agree with the majority of this post. But let's not pretend Preston Smith or Kerrigan were dropping into coverage on a regular basis, that was only on occasion. With that said once is too many and the real problem with the previous staff is they obviously failed to develop him and put him in a scheme that took advantage of his skills.  

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

I totally agree with the majority of this post. But let's not pretend Preston Smith or Kerrigan were dropping into coverage on a regular basis, that was only on occasion. With that said once is too many and the real problem with the previous staff is they obviously failed to develop him and put him in a scheme that took advantage of his skills.  

One of the two of them was often in coverage because otherwise it would always be a blitz. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

One of the two of them was often in coverage because otherwise it would always be a blitz. 

Our biggest problem is that we always employed two defensive ends at 3-4 OLBs. When what you want are linebackers that can rush. 

There is a difference... Sweat, Smith, Kerrigan are all DEs (this isn’t directed at you, VoR.)

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Dayum I wish I had thought about that.  I should be able to count to 5 right?

But damnit I was right about the Ravens cutting Trent Dilfer!  

:)

You weren’t. 0/2.

;)

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

How does Young compare to either Bosa?  Curious to hear by those watching him all year.

The experts project him to be BETTER than either Bosa brother.

We'd be idiots to not draft Young unless a team offers something like five 1sts.

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-why-chase-young-is-our-clear-no-1-plus-more-on-our-top-30/amp/

This draft, like every draft, is about the quarterbacks. Franchise quarterbacks, after all, win Super Bowls, and teams without franchise quarterbacks are forever looking for them. But it doesn't always work out that the best player in a draft class also happens to play under center. A year ago, Ohio State pass rusher Nick Bosa made a strong case to be the first name off the board. This year, that distinction goes to his former college teammate, pass rusher Chase Young.

Young, you can argue, is even more dynamic than Bosa was for the Buckeyes, but we'll repeat what we said about Bosa in the months leading up to the 2019 NFL Draft: If you're an NFL general manager with one of the top selections and you use it on Young, you will sleep well at night because there is no uncertainty in the type of player you're getting.

Young dominates snap after snap with an explosive first step and wins with with power, speed and smarts. He's regularly double-teamed -- and it doesn't matter. He moves like a defensive back in space but has some of the best hands in college football to thwart pass blockers tasked with trying to slow him up.

After a sophomore campaign that included 10.5 sacks, 14.0 tackles for loss and a forced fumble, Young has been even better through eight games in 2019; he's totaled 13.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and five forced fumbles. If you only watch one of Young's games, make it Wisconsin, where he did more in 45 minutes than most college players will do in a career: four sacks, five tackles for loss, two forced fumbles.

From the perspective of early November, Young probably won't be the first overall pick, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be.

96-100
Anything can happen with an NFL career, but the players in this range appear to have Hall of Fame potential and should be considered a level above the rest of the prospects in their class.

Prospect rankings

Name, Position, School, Rating

1. Chase Young, DE, Ohio State, 96

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good showcase here of how having multiple good D lineman can help feed off each other

Man I hope we get to see some of that stuff next year. They have the most talented D-line in the league and are really creative on top. With all these stunts and pick plays they asolutely maximize what they can get out of that line by not constantly relying on their players winning their 1 on 1s. 

Meanwhile:

We are last in the NFL in stunts. This is so lazy. I mean everyone saw it. We had 3 or 4 guys at the line and that were the guys that were coming. Our blitz designs were ugly, we ran no stunts. The few games where we constantly lined up multiple people at the line and dropped different guys and thus created some confusion our defense played much better...before went back to doing what has not worked before.

We still only had 2 sacks less than the 49ers. But I feel that we could get so much more pressures out of our defense if we would get a bite more creative.

Same is true for our O-line. If you look at what the 49ers did yesterday with all their motions and movement in the run game and then look at Jay Gruden's run designs where he, once again, basically bets on every lineman winning his 1 on 1. I just want some of that creativity.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, redskinss said:

Let's not forget that maintaining assignments is often going to look lazy.

You can't always just go 100 percent towards the ball, over pursuit looks nice but it can be a big problem too.

Good pt.  IMO this was a huge problem w/ P. Smith when he was on the Skins.  He was not disciplined enough to stay in his lane & stick to his assignment.  You could blame a lot of this on coaching.  I cannot imagine that Del Rio will allow any player to do this for an extended period of time. Can't wait to see his defense on the field.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Reminds me of this video from Kollman.  Would be nice to see more "layering" concepts from our front 7, especially with all the mobile QBs in our division.

• Like 1