Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Nah, if Chase Young is there at 3, Lions race up to the podium.  D-Line is their biggest need.

Yeah the Lions would be absolutely giddy if we were stupid and they ended up with Chase sitting there for them. They'd be up at the podium faster than you could blink. Their pass rush is abysmal. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

If they do, we mortgage that pick for a bundle. We are in a great spot. If Chase is gone, we get a kings ransom. If he's there, we have a potential for an all-time D-Line.

I’m taking Simmons then. Our D-Line has been addressed enough in the past few drafts. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

If they do, we mortgage that pick for a bundle. We are in a great spot. If Chase is gone, we get a kings ransom. If he's there, we have a potential for an all-time D-Line.

If no team thinks we won’t select Burrow and doesn't offer us a haul, then I think we should draft him to call their bluffs. Then watch the ‘real’ offers come in. If we still don’t get the “king’s ransom” then keep Burrow and start working the phones to see what offers We can get for Haskins. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m taking Simmons then. Our D-Line has been addressed enough in the past few drafts. 

Depends on where we trade down to, but I do agree that Simmons is a great talent. 

And the "we have enough on our DL" or "we've already been drafting DL" argument to me only holds water if you're not looking at a once in a decade prospect sitting in your lap on draft day at possibly the second most important position in football (I know that's debatable, but there's a reason that elite edge rushers in the NFL are second only to QBs in their salaries). That's like saying you'd pass on Calvin Johnson because you already had some pretty decent receivers you'd drafted recently. A guy like Chase is a game changer and I don't think you pass on that.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carex said:

no, that is not a question at all.  We do not have the ammunition to trade back into the first.  While Trent and Ryan may be on the trading block, it is extremely unlikely any team would trade for two aging expensive recently injured vets at once

I've been a little concerned that the Giants might try to trade up to 1 to get him.  We're not taking a QB.  The Lions might not take a QB.  The Bengals might feel that at 4 they'll still have their choice of QBs.  Of course if Young is off the table and neither team behind them want a QB the the someone could start tossing offers at us and the Lions for a chance to grab one

Nobody said anything about trading down in the first round.  I said Skins stay put at #2 and take Chase Young.  Kerrigan and Williams are pieces to use for a team like the Ravens who want to add experience players to get to the next level.  A package of Kerrigan, WIlliams and maybe a 2020 2nd might do it.  Young and Kinlaw will be future NFL starts!

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

They really are in  a tough spot with regard to Scherff.  Regardless of the Trent situation they will be forced to pay Scherff like he's one of the top guards in the league and he is not, so that kind of automatically mean they will have to over pay to retain their own FA.   

I would trade Williams, trade Kerrigan, cut Norman, cut Richardson and wouldn't franchise Scherff.  We don't need them anymore.  Scherff isn't worth what he may ask for and Skins should not pay it or franchise him!  Go with Martin probably will be better in the long run, resign Flower, get 2 FA OLine players and draft 2 OLine players and move on.  

Edited by rcjur1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

not o To begin to be a legit defense they must stay at #2 and take Young, and I have posted enough about that.  I just hope the Bengals don't figure that out.

I want them to keep Williams but he should have honored his contract, which he probably got all salty about when he was thinking how the training staff did him wrong when  contemplating his undiagnosed tumor.  Not to rehash it but it certainly made him feel undervalued in more ways then one.

I want to keep Kerrigan.  He is not a top five EDGE rusher but he is certainly in the top ten at the position. Being in the top 10 would earn him a salary of 16-17 M per year at the position, which is about 5 M more per year then he currently gets.   I say you keep him. He is a leader and still has more in the tank and with the exception of this year he has stayed healthy and has made 3 Pro Bowls, over the past four years.

Reed, Richardson and Norman should be released but I believe the only one that will actually be released will be Richardson.  If Norman takes a pay cut with an incentive latent, prove it deal don't be surprised to see him in the secondary even though I wish they would dump him.  With regards to Reed for his health's sake I hope he retires.  Can't see them retaining a guy who can't stay on the field year in and year out.  But who knows?  

Who are you thinking in FA at Tackle and Guard?  

Kerrigan will be gone, we have few of those LB's that came in late that can play backup on the edge.  We need stop paying these high salaries to over 30 year old vets!  Sweat and Young will be the starting DE's.  Team need more angry men on the dline.   Kerrigan is a great Redskins but he is not one and can go somewhere else and earn his pay.  Norman won't take a pay cut from what he thinks he deserves, so he will be gone.  Williams might be only one that will stay. 

Edited by rcjur1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, rcjur1 said:

Nobody said anything about trading down in the first round.  I said Skins stay put at #2 and take Chase Young.  Kerrigan and Williams are pieces to use for a team like the Ravens who want to add experience players to get to the next level.  A package of Kerrigan, WIlliams and maybe a 2020 2nd might do it.  Young and Kinlaw will be future NFL starts!

How did you misunderstand my post so badly?  I said that no one team was going to take Kerrigan and Williams, and this is 2020.

Fowler Jr., Tremaine Edmunds, Hassan Reddick, Tim Williams etc.  All these linebackers were hyped up with having speed, but none labeled as generational. You draft Young and take your chances. If he busts, so be it. Let someone else draft Simmons and more power to them if he succeeds.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

And not Odukah?

It’s tough, I watched a lot of Simmons. He seems like a legit force on the defense who would really change the game with his speed, he is a great talent to watch. Okudah I did not watch much of so forgive me if he really might be a great talent. I’ve just seen so many DBs go in the first round that haven’t lived up to their hype. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Depends on where we trade down to, but I do agree that Simmons is a great talent. 

And the "we have enough on our DL" or "we've already been drafting DL" argument to me only holds water if you're not looking at a once in a decade prospect sitting in your lap on draft day at possibly the second most important position in football (I know that's debatable, but there's a reason that elite edge rushers in the NFL are second only to QBs in their salaries). That's like saying you'd pass on Calvin Johnson because you already had some pretty decent receivers you'd drafted recently. A guy like Chase is a game changer and I don't think you pass on that.

100%. I’m all for Chase, the argument I was stating is that if he was gone via some crazy trades and if he isn’t available I’m taking Simmons then. 

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Okudah has been a top 3-5 pick, pretty consistently. Simmons has been top 10-15, from what I've read.

You very well could be right if he slides into Norman’s spot with Dunbar, need to do more research on him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Okudah has been a top 3-5 pick, pretty consistently. Simmons has been top 10-15, from what I've read.

Simmons wont fall out of the top 10.  He's going to launch up the board after the combine.  The dude is gonna show out. 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 2

I'm getting more into the draft now that the season is just about over, and I'm not reliving the World Series daily (just every other day.)

Walterfootball is my favorite draft site. They're shockingly accurate on their predictions. Their assessment of Bruce Allen's tenure however...

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm getting more into the draft now that the season is just about over, and I'm not reliving the World Series daily (just every other day.)

Walterfootball is my favorite draft site. They're shockingly accurate on their predictions. Their assessment of Bruce Allen's tenure however...

What did they say about Bruce Allen 

On 1/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Quentin Nelson plays in between Ryan Kelly and Anthony Castonzo. Both are former 1st round picks who are graded near the top of their respective positions per PFF. There is definitely something to be said for playing next to other top tier players on the OL. 

That works so well for the Dline (which brings this back to focus :ols:  )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

that’s interesting as I find Walter football to be one of the worst.  I May be alone.  I like Dane bruglar. I know that’s not the right spelling. There are a few others.  But he is my go to.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

that’s interesting as I find Walter football to be one of the worst.  I May be alone.  I like Dane bruglar. I know that’s not the right spelling. There are a few others.  But he is my go to.  

I'll check out Dan Bruglar. WF is pretty accurate in their predictions. 

1 hour ago, max21 said:

What did they say about Bruce Allen 

They gave the Redskins a D grade for firing him. They gave him the credit for the drafts, but didn't mention his major failings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'll check out Dan Bruglar. WF is pretty accurate in their predictions. 

They gave the Redskins a D grade for firing him. They gave him the credit for the drafts, but didn't mention his major failings.

In fairness I don't really follow the prediction of where players will go - but when I have with Walter Football - which again in fairness has been 4 or 5 yrs - there were not close. I may take another look. I honestly pay more attention to the player analysis which is why I like Dane. I also like Lance Zierlein. I like how they break down player strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 3

The Draft Network has been the most useful to me, though I use Walter a bit as well for a longer list of prospects by position, estimated 40 times and the odd tidbit.  I do like reading Brugler and Zerlein though, I’m just usually looking for a more comprehensive source.  

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-best-101-players-from-2019

No one defensive player impacted the opposing offense quite like Young did in 2019. He recorded a pass-rush win rate of 27.2% despite being consistently double- or even triple-teamed. Young affected the game plan of his opponents before he even stepped foot on the field, and he finished with the highest grade we’ve ever given to an edge defender in a single season. Young finished the year with 56 total pressures, including 18 sacks, seven hits and 31 hurries, but his impact went as far as seeing him record 33 additional pass-rushes that beat the defender, but the offense either unleashed a quick pass, QB draw or simply threw it away before Young could register a pressure. He was a true game-wrecker, the likes of which even bested the efforts of both Bosa Brothers before him.

Take, for instance, the Northwestern game. After a successful run play, the Wildcats attempted a straight-dropback pass. Young sacked the quarterback so fast that their game plan changed to avoid Young’s impact over the course of the next 16 plays:

His impact reached far beyond the box score in 2019; it was a season for the ages. Young finished his season with an incredible 133 positively graded plays to just 17 negatively graded plays. That’s a ratio that we’ve never seen before.

Screenshot_20200127-001727_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, Riggo#44 said:

And not Odukah?

I don't feel a top flight corner is what a team needs to add to their secondary to change it's fortunes. In my opinion, it's better to have good, cost effective pieces that fit your scheme than it is to have a guy that will demand high coin at the corner position. The position is too inconsistent to warrant the money needed for a top flight cornerback. 

I'd be okay with Okudah if Del Rio wanted him. He'd be on a rookie deal for four years with an option. But come second contract he'd need to get paid.

Okudah has tremendous skills and can match with most receivers. And he's physical and has a mean streak. I like him quite a bit. 

But I do worry about the ramifications of a corner being one of your elite players over the long term in the modern era of the NFL.

My two primary goals in the draft:

1. Stay put, draft Chase Young.

2. If Young isn't available for some reason, or the Skins value a trade down, trade back and select Isaiah Simmons to help coverage from the slot/on TEs AND help with the pass rush. 

Those are my two.

I wouldn't be mad, obviously, at Okudah. How could you be? Dude is a baller.

Just my opinion :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

They seemed to have some kind of relationship with Bruce I am guessing.  I recall years back they wrote that the Redskins drafts are often underrated because the Redskins staff doesn't bother spinning it to draft geeks (unlike others) then they seemed to imply the Redskins staff made an exception on that front to them.  So I gather they have a soft spot for Bruce.

Walter Football has gotten some rumor stuff right about the Redskins over the years including them loving Daron Payne and they got another nugget but it's escaping me which one.

It wouldn't shock me that Bruce in order to look like he's with it in that building would read Walterfootball's summaries because unlike the others they tend to get deeper into the draft (up to round 4) and they do it earlier in the process than the others. 

For me personally, I am not a big Walterfootball guy as to their takes but I do like their rumors page.    Dane Brugler has the most detailed draft analysis ultimately, he puts a lot of information on each player but he doesn't do it until about a month before the draft.  PFF gets into a lot of detail.  As for who I trust the most as to their assessments -- it would probably be Jon Ledyard (who doesn't really though do it anymore) and Daniel Jeremiah.  Bob McGinn puts out something close to the draft that quotes 5 scouts who currently work for teams (quoted anonymously) on each major player.  That to me is the best one.  If I recall McGinn's scout fueled top 100 predraft ended up the most accurate last year as to the match of what happened on draft day. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1