Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I missed it but I'm sure it's a comment I would approve of.  He has ever right to be bitter at the Redskins for what they did to him and his dad.  

Would you care to elaborate from your point of view?  For the record I have more venom for Bosa and Sherman, and one or two other things about San Fran rather than Kyle.

23 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Can't a 2020 offense effectively game plan out a stud LDE? 

Absolutely they can. Its up to the D coordinator to scheme back and the rest of your talent to execute. Effectively forcing an offense into using a select group of predictable plays is something a great coach can take advatage of.  Knowing you can shade coverage to a side, blitzing the direction of a roll out. 

Basically I'm saying I think that sword can cut both ways, as long as Manusky isn't the one scheming things up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Absolutely they can. Its up to the D coordinator to scheme back and the rest of your talent to execute. Effectively forcing an offense into using a select group of predictable plays is something a great coach can take advatage of.  Knowing you can shade coverage to a side, blitzing the direction of a roll out. 

Basically I'm saying I think that sword can cut both ways, as long as Manusky isn't the one scheming things up. 

Premier pass rushers line up everywhere now a days, even inside. When's the last time you seen the term "LDE" anyways Madden 06?

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

My prime concern is that no DC DC in 25 years has been able to scheme up freeing a front 7 to make plays.  Manusky is but the latest.  The guy is a stud maybe the best player in the draft. I just hope he is allowed to be that here.

I did see a glimmer of hope when they finally unleashed Sweat, but we have a new staff. And a Redskins playbook.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:46 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Pick a position, you can effectively scheme around it. But don't you want a player you have to develop an entire scheme around?

Absolutely - we'd like a whole team of those guys.

2 overalls don't happen here often in perennial win now mode. But QBs are the wild cards and aren't so easy to scheme against. Heck 1 of the 2 QB wins every game so how effectively was he really schemed for.  DE's have less snap counts out of the gate, and are subjected to being forced to learn to play passively and under control here much more than I prefer. Coaching changes thus far haven't gotten Clemons Preston Rak Lavar Kerrigan Sweat Murphy Junior lol and so many others, to greatness. EDIT. ZO! We botched that one big.

Starting our coaching hires with 2 count em 2 former LBs, gives me more hope than usual, actually.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

But QBs are the wild cards and aren't so easy to scheme against. 

Defenses aren't schemed to take away a QBs strengths? I think we've all been watching too many Haslett-Barry-Manusky coached crapfests to remember what a good DC can do. JDR is the best defensive coach we've had since Williams, possibly Marvin Lewis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

My prime concern is that no DC DC in 25 years has been able to scheme up freeing a front 7 to make plays.  Manusky is but the latest.  The guy is a stud maybe the best player in the draft. I just hope he is allowed to be that here.

I mean yeah, but are you trying to insinuate that Snyder is influencing some kind of way on defense schemes? 

I get the woe is me I feel like charlie brown thing, believe me I get it. But if you can't expect a different defensive result with Rivera and Del Rio with a rotation front of Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ionaidis, Settle, Orchard, Brantley and Young - Well then why even care at all. We are just cursed then lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I did see a glimmer of hope when they finally unleashed Sweat, but we have a new staff. And a Redskins playbook.

I contend Rhodes, Lewis, and Williams did

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I contend Rhodes, Lewis, and Williams did

One year of Williams had me content, and then he backed off. Lewis was very soft IMO and why he was quickly gone - 1 year IIRC. I forgot all about Ray Rhodes.

I refuse to believe Chase Young will be unleashed and destroying quarterbacks. It's nothing against him nor all the fine opines here but think some are counting chickens how he will be used and we haven't even drafted him yet. It's just the damage done by watching our passive defense consistently abused for most of 2 decades, a few good stretches and Haslet manic moments aside. I think we play soft no matter the studs up front we have, and abstain from trying heavy deception. Can anyone recall us trying to attack a QB, like the Bears did to us on Monday night? Mack my ass all they did was stunt him over and over, from different places for a few series. They just confused our OL and knocked out our QB.

We all heard Sweat was abusing everyone in camp yet somehow didn't see anything out of him until week 17 or so. Only after old man Callahan chimed in as the season is over "maybe we drop him into coverage too much" or some ****, did we see him allowed to make plays to warrant a trade up / 2 2's.. I would be interested in his PFF ratings by game. PFF ratings may fail if they don't account enough for what is asked of a player.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

One year of Williams had me content, and then he backed off. Lewis was very soft IMO and why he was quickly gone - 1 year IIRC. I forgot all about Ray Rhodes.

I refuse to believe Chase Young will be unleashed and destroying quarterbacks. It's nothing against him nor all the fine opines here but think some are counting chickens how he will be used and we haven't even drafted him yet. It's just the damage done by watching our passive defense consistently abused for most of 2 decades, a few good stretches and Haslet manic moments aside. I think we play soft no matter the studs up front we have, and abstain from trying heavy deception. Can anyone recall us trying to attack a QB, like the Bears did to us on Monday night? Mack my ass all they did was stunt him over and over, from different places for a few series. They just confused our OL and knocked out our QB.

We all heard Sweat was abusing everyone in camp yet somehow didn't see anything out of him until week 17 or so. Only after old man Callahan chimed in as the season is over "maybe we drop him into coverage too much" or some ****, did we see him allowed to make plays to warrant a trade up / 2 2's.. I would be interested in his PFF ratings by game. PFF ratings may fail if they don't account enough for what is asked of a player.

Lewis left for the HC in Cincinnati, so I'm not sure if it was because he was passive or soft. He was the only one to get Lavar really do anything of note. That was a really good defense as I recall.

As for passivity, yeah I chalk that up to horrible DCs. None of which have been missed (like Kyle Shanahan, McVay, Lafleur). We stunted our D-Line far and away the least last year--with really talented linemen too. JDR's record is to rush four and drop 7 in general. I don't know how much he stunts or any of that, but he has had very good defenses everywhere he's been--and he developed Julius Peppers and Von Miller. So I forsee Young being a killer. But we'll see. Holding JDR responsible for Manusky's awful defenses is some real battered fan syndrome. Not that I blame you.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, carex said:

no he doesn't.  His father's teams didn't produce except one year with an incredible rookie.  Of two traded for QBs he had more faith in John Beck than Donovan mcnabb.  Even if McNabb under performed he was sure as hell better than Beck.

Kyle created an offense that actually got Robert Griffin to play at a high level,  he did an amazing job here but then his dad was undermined when Snyder enabled Griffin to act the way he did.  Shanny never wanted McNabb, he didn't want the trade up for Griff either yet he got stuck with them even though he was told he has total control.  Then of course the whole thing blew up and the Shannahans were unfairly blamed IMO.  

23 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Would you care to elaborate from your point of view?  For the record I have more venom for Bosa and Sherman, and one or two other things about San Fran rather than Kyle.

See above

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Kyle created an offense that actually got Robert Griffin to play at a high level,  he did an amazing job here but then his dad was undermined when Snyder enabled Griffin to act the way he did.  Shanny never wanted McNabb, he didn't want the trade up for Griff either yet he got stuck with them even though he was told he has total control.  Then of course the whole thing blew up and the Shannahans were unfairly blamed IMO.  

See above

you believe everything the Shanahan's said then.  I don't.  Frankly I think Mike saying they were out of playoff contention and were just checking out players and Griffin taking the team on his back upset Shanny.  Espeically since it took over half the season for it to be implemented

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, carex said:

you believe everything the Shanahan's said then.  I don't.  Frankly I think Mike saying they were out of playoff contention and were just checking out players and Griffin taking the team on his back upset Shanny.  Espeically since it took over half the season for it to be implemented

It's funny looking back on that now. No way the egos from Shanahan and Allen were going to mesh.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Im not sure they unleashed him so much as he developed. It’s not like he wasn’t ever in there rushing the QB on passing downs. He was just getting stonewalled early on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Im not sure they unleashed him so much as he developed. It’s not like he wasn’t ever in there rushing the QB on passing downs. He was just getting stonewalled early on.

Maybe. It just looked like he wasn't firing off, and as per usual here, rushed straight at blockers. Counter - why didn't he get stonewalled in camp? Reports for most of camp said he was abusing everyone, and then i think he got injured. Penn at least was an all pro not too long ago.  And I think when Callahan spoke of him not being used correctly, he had his best 2 games.

Heh I wonder if he had a lingering injury to start the year.

I still cannot believe that the buffoon let Manusky interview and screen his own replacements a year ago.

Edited by RandyHolt

I went to the SB Experience Event tonight with my kids.  It's a cool pre SB event where they simulate combine events among other things.  Terry McLaurin was signing autographs.  Super cool dude.  He spent give or take a minute with each person.  Signed something.  Took a photo.   Shook your hand.  And talked to you.  I couldn't resist asking him if they should take Chase Young.  He said I really sincerely think they should.  And he didn't say it in a glad handing type of way or at least that's not how it felt when he said it. 

It means nothing to the bottom line but my 30 seconds take of Terry on that specific subject is the dude wants them to take Young.  So case closed.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

t means nothing to the bottom line but my 30 seconds take of Terry on that specific subject is the dude wants them to take Young.  So case closed. 

If you believe Clinton, he’s the reason Gibbs picked ST.  

So... :)

I have to imagine Ron/Kyle or somebody on their staffs have talked rather extensively with both Terry and Dwayne about Young.  Or they will.  If they haven’t/don’t it’s criminal negligence. 

Not that you take what they say as gospel.  But it’s a datapoint you have access to so use it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you believe Clinton, he’s the reason Gibbs picked ST.  

So... :)

I have to imagine Ron/Kyle or somebody on their staffs have talked rather extensively with both Terry and Dwayne about Young.  Or they will.  If they haven’t/don’t it’s criminal negligence. 

Not that you take what they say as gospel.  But it’s a datapoint you have access to so use it.

I joked with my son to ask him about Young, my kid was the only one meeting him actually wearing a McLaurin jersey so I figured that would engage a conversation.  It did but my son was too shy to bring it up.  But I came after him and McLaurin came off so friendly and chatty that it just flowed, I told him he had a great season and that he was fun to watch and then segued to Chase from there.  But yeah he absolutely came off like he was all in on him.   And I am usually good at deciphering sincerity versus polite pandering kind of chatter. 

Haskins in his public comments clearly is fired up about Chase.  So yeah no doubt those two would sell it hard if asked by the FO about him. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I joked with my son to ask him about Young, my kid was the only one meeting him actually wearing a McLaurin jersey so I figured that would engage a conversation.  It did but my son was too shy to bring it up.  But I came after him and McLaurin came off so friendly and chatty that it just flowed, I told him he had a great season and that he was fun to watch and then segued to Chase from there.  But yeah he absolutely came off like he was all in on him.   And I am usually good at deciphering sincerity versus polite pandering kind of chatter. 

Haskins in his public comments clearly is fired up about Chase.  So yeah no doubt those two would sell it hard if asked by the FO about him. 

If I recall correctly, I think I saw another Redskins player posting his Chase Young support on social media. Don’t remember who. 

Also, for the naysayers on players used properly on the defense. All I say is trust in JDR. Dude kind of has a great track record.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

If I recall correctly, I think I saw another Redskins player posting his Chase Young support on social media. Don’t remember who. 

Also, for the naysayers on players used properly on the defense. All I say is trust in JDR. Dude kind of has a great track record.  

Derrius Guice was the other one. 

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I‘m completely fine with the players advocating.  And the FO needs to talk to them.

But at the end of the day, it’s Kyle/Ron’s decision.  If they think 8 1sts are a better deal, then that’s fine too. 

Yep, sure, I think everyone agrees that players shouldn't call the shots. 

But like you said, I don't think its crazy to think that the FO would ask Chase's teammates about what they think of him,  Many draft guru types and personnel people have said that the one thing that's hardest to gauge about a player is their personality-what type of teammate they are, etc.  And that matters to them almost as much as their talent.  

So they spend plenty of time trying to figure that out, even hiring PIs to follow the players among other things.   To that point, I do think its obvious they will tap into Haskins and Mclaurin as sources to gauge Chase.  And albeit it was a short exchange but he came off so serious and sincere that I'd put it at 99% that McLaurin would do a hard sell for Chase if asked.