Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

17 hours ago, carex said:

you believe everything the Shanahan's said then.  I don't.  Frankly I think Mike saying they were out of playoff contention and were just checking out players and Griffin taking the team on his back upset Shanny.  Espeically since it took over half the season for it to be implemented

Of course, Mike had multiple long term successful runs at Denver and only one seasons of suck the year after Elway retired and Davis only saw 4 games.  He had issues at the Raiders but Al Davis liked a power run attack and throwing the ball deep. Two big egos with diametrically opposed offensive philosophies. Snyder had hired only one coach who led a team to the playoffs twice (and this coach was also a very successful coach), never had 3 multiple good years in a row or even just 4 multiple non-suck years in a row (until 2015 to 2018) with one coach (interestingly he oversaw 4 straight non-suck years with  coaches form 1999 to 2002). It is really about patterns.  Now, I do question Mike's veracity for other reasons including what you said and Mike's pattern of butting heads (the Al Davis thing and the fact that a major reason Denver fired him was that the owner wanted the team back).

I want to Chase to dominate here, while used to his strengths to entertain the football world proper. Design the D around him if he is that good. Don't try to make him a JAG to fit into a scheme that has been shown to slowly chokes ourselves out.

And  don't let me see a Warrick Holdman type situation ever again.

• Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/16/nick-bosa-is-key-49ers-defensive-dominance/

Nick Bosa is the key to the 49ers’ defensive dominance

The NFL continues to become more reliant on passing plays and the teams with the best quarterbacks are among the more successful squads in the NFL. That makes it more critical than ever for a team to build an effective pass rush. And finding a player like San Francisco 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa, drafted No. 2 overall out of Ohio State in the 2019 draft, changed the direction of the franchise.

San Francisco had the 23rd-best defense overall last year per Football Outsiders after adjusting its success on every single play for situation and opponent. The pass defense was the sixth-worst of 2018. This season the 49ers’ defense rocketed to No. 2 overall with the second-best pass defense in the NFL. And much of that improvement is due to Bosa, the first 49ers rookie to be named to the Pro Bowl since Patrick Willis in 2007.

Coach Kyle Shanahan and defensive coordinator Robert Saleh were able to use Bosa’s speed-to-power ability in their wide-9 technique to isolate offensive tackles in space. Specifically, the edge rusher lines up outside of the tight end (or offensive tackle if no tight end is on the line of scrimmage) at an angle facing the quarterback. This creates opportunities for the edge rushers to beat pass blockers with speed on the outside and for an interior defensive linemen, such as DeForest Buckner, to win one-on-one battles inside. If Buckner can occupy the opposing center and right guard, Bosa and the other edge rushers can more easily attack the quarterback.

The results speak for themselves. Four 49ers defensive linemen were credited with at least 6½ sacks in 2019: Arik Armstead (team-leading 10 sacks), Bosa (nine), DeForest Buckner (7½), and Dee Ford (6½). No other team had more than three players hit this milestone and last year just one 49er, Buckner, was credited with 6½ sacks or more.

The results speak for themselves. Four 49ers defensive linemen were credited with at least 6½ sacks in 2019: Arik Armstead (team-leading 10 sacks), Bosa (nine), DeForest Buckner (7½), and Dee Ford (6½). No other team had more than three players hit this milestone and last year just one 49er, Buckner, was credited with 6½ sacks or more.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, carex said:

you believe everything the Shanahan's said then.  I don't.  Frankly I think Mike saying they were out of playoff contention and were just checking out players and Griffin taking the team on his back upset Shanny.  Espeically since it took over half the season for it to be implemented

So your position is the head coach was upset that his rookie QB played great and that play helped nail down a playoff spot?  Let's just say I disagree.  

32 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So your position is the head coach was upset that his rookie QB played great and that play helped nail down a playoff spot?  Let's just say I disagree.  

Shanny had already said he wasn't expecting a playoff spot that season

18 minutes ago, carex said:

Shanny had already said he wasn't expecting a playoff spot that season

Of course not, most every coach of a 3-6 team would feel they are out of the playoffs and starting planning for the following season, this is hardly unique to Shanny. But your claim that he was actually upset that his QB turned the season around and made the playoffs is complete nonsense, why would a head coach be upset that his team started to play great and that landed them in the playoffs even if he didn't expect it?   Are you actually claiming that Shannahan would have rather been 5-11 and out of the playoffs?  Come on now.  

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Of course not, most every coach of a 3-6 team would feel they are out of the playoffs and starting planning for the following season, this is hardly unique to Shanny. But your claim that he was actually upset that his QB turned the season around and made the playoffs is complete nonsense, why would a head coach be upset that his team started to play great and that landed them in the playoffs even if he didn't expect it?   Are you actually claiming that Shannahan would have rather been 5-11 and out of the playoffs?  Come on now.  

because it hurt his ego.  This is a man who ordered a QB to throw a pass at an old man because he disliked him

1 minute ago, carex said:

because it hurt his ego.  This is a man who ordered a QB to throw a pass at an old man because he disliked him

So your position is a head coach with the ego and competitive makeup of Shannahan would have preferred to go 5-11 than make the playoffs, which obviously goes on his record as an accomplishment.  

Yeah, OK.  Make perfect sense to me.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So your position is a head coach with the ego and competitive makeup of Shannahan would have preferred to go 5-11 than make the playoffs, which obviously goes on his record as an accomplishment.  

Yeah, OK.  Make perfect sense to me.  

he'd already admitted defeat.  His ego had gotten used to that.  then it had to deal with being shown up by a player.

3 hours ago, carex said:

he'd already admitted defeat.  His ego had gotten used to that.  then it had to deal with being shown up by a player.

If you honestly believe a coach as competitive as Mike Shannahan was upset that his team went on a 7 game winning streak that landed a playoff spot I have no idea what more to say to you.

Enjoy the game today.  

Back to Chase that article @Skinsinparadise posted is the very reason I want them to draft Chase Young.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Thing is being upset that his rookie QB (who he is claiming was forced on him) played so great would fit the pattern he had displayed since he had been HC in Oakland.  Also remember, one of his first steps as HC was to destroy the base system of a top 10 defense because HE had a harder time game planning against a 3-4.  He did not even bring in a top-flight 3-4 DC to help with the transition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Thing is being upset that his rookie QB (who he is claiming was forced on him) played so great would fit the pattern he had displayed since he had been HC in Oakland.  Also remember, one of his first steps as HC was to destroy the base system of a top 10 defense because HE had a harder time game planning against a 3-4.  He did not even bring in a top-flight 3-4 DC to help with the transition.

I am not really going to continue to defend my position that a head coach would never be upset that his team actually won.  I shouldn't have to. Electing to switch to a 3-4 has nothing what so ever to do with the claim that he was mad that his team actually won.  

But then again around here we could argue for a day about the sky being blue.  :)

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

There was some previous angst in this thread about appropriately using, or, "unleashing" our DE's to rush the passer. Jack Del Rio has already said that we are going to play the run on the way to the QB, suggesting a super aggressive approach to pass rushing. This isn't going to be read and react. There was a great article on redskins.com about JDR's history of getting the most out of his elite pass rushers. Boulware and Von Miller both had their best production with JDR as their DC. Not mentioned in the article is that Khalil Mack also had his best year getting to the QB in JDR's 1st year as the head coach in Oakland. Mack posted 15 sacks in 2015, up from 4 sacks as a rookie. Mack has only ever posted more than 11 sacks one other time, with 12.5 in 2018. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MackKh00.htm

https://www.redskins.com/news/pro-bowler-von-miller-praises-jack-del-rio-redskins-defensive-coordinator

"Boulware had 10 sacks in Del Rio's first season as the Ravens linebackers coach and a career-high 15 in his last before Del Rio left to be the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator.

Miller has finished seven of his nine NFL seasons with at least 10 sacks, but some of his highest production came when Del Rio was his defensive coordinator from 2012-14. He had 18.5 in 2012, which remains career-high, and 14 in 2014 -- a feat he has only accomplished three times in his career."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

There was some previous angst in this thread about appropriately using, or, "unleashing" our DE's to rush the passer. Jack Del Rio has already said that we are going to play the run on the way to the QB, suggesting a super aggressive approach to pass rushing. This isn't going to be read and react. There was a great article on redskins.com about JDR's history of getting the most out of his elite pass rushers. Boulware and Von Miller both had their best production with JDR as their DC. Not mentioned in the article is that Khalil Mack also had his best year getting to the QB in JDR's 1st year as the head coach in Oakland. Mack posted 15 sacks in 2015, up from 4 sacks as a rookie. Mack has only ever posted more than 11 sacks one other time, with 12.5 in 2018. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MackKh00.htm

https://www.redskins.com/news/pro-bowler-von-miller-praises-jack-del-rio-redskins-defensive-coordinator

"Boulware had 10 sacks in Del Rio's first season as the Ravens linebackers coach and a career-high 15 in his last before Del Rio left to be the Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator.

Miller has finished seven of his nine NFL seasons with at least 10 sacks, but some of his highest production came when Del Rio was his defensive coordinator from 2012-14. He had 18.5 in 2012, which remains career-high, and 14 in 2014 -- a feat he has only accomplished three times in his career."

I really really hope this is true, but I'm always wary about it because we've heard this song and dance before from past DCs...about how they're going to be aggressive and get after the QB, but then we end up seeing these soft bend but don't break defenses. Now, it's certainly possible that some of that had to do with the talent on our line up until the last couple of years but the schemes all looked bland and predictable as well. 

Though at least JDR has a history of getting the most out of elite elite level pass rushers. I'm guessing he's salivating at the prospect of having Chase Young as well as a well developing Montez Sweat on the other side and a really nice rotation of interior guys. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1567313/2020/01/30/chase-youngs-skills-in-defending-against-the-run-is-an-underrated-part-of-his-game/%3famp

While Ohio State pass rusher Chase Young is rightly praised for his outstanding athleticism and fantastically polished pass rushing technique, his run defense often goes overlooked. Obviously, it’s his pass rush that makes him one of the top prospects in this draft class, despite criticism of his impact against bigger teams, but Young is a complete player who can play the run, too. He’s credited with 21 tackles for loss and offenses regularly had to focus not only their pass protection but their run blocking schemes with Young in mind.

Few teams attempted to run to Young’s side with any regularity. More often than not, Young would align on the weak side of the line (away from the tight end) and teams would run to the opposite side. But on occasion, some teams would run his way and quickly regret that decision.

4 minutes ago, bh32 said:

No way will the Redskins pass on Young  after watching this SB..

Agree, I've been watching Bosa specifically a lot.  Talib talked about the key to stopping any prolific offense like KC before this game and said its all about getting pressure with a 4 man front and having 7 in coverage.   This is a clinic thus far of the point. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I'm glad the Chiefs won as they hadn't won it all in 50 years, plus I can't pull for the city of San Francisco to win. But Bosa was probably the best player on the field tonight and Young should make a similar impact with the Redskins. I'm ready for draft night.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98