Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Last game changing defensive player the Skins had was unquestionably Sean Taylor. He put fear in opposing players. Go on Youtube and look up highlights of Reuben Foster and tell me you don't see similarities between him and ST. God I hope he comes back fully healthy. We will terrify the rest of the league with our defense. 

Foster isn't nearly Sean Taylor, but I see what you're talking about. This defense has lacked a physical tone setter in the back 7 that inspires fear. Foster has a good bit of that Mike Tyson physical presence presence that Taylor brought. He's an explosive knockout hitter. Taylor however was special because he brought that factor, but was also a ball hawking cover safety in the mold of Ed Reed. 

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I 99% agree with you BUT, if Tua grades out to be a can't miss NFL QB that is a more important position to nail down than DE. I would hate to miss on Michael Jordan because we were in love with Sam Bowie....some of you may have to do some research on that reference. 

I actually agree with this. If healthy, I truly believe that Tua is going to be a Mahommes/Deshaun Watson caliber player. The health has to make you nervous though, and we have Haskins, and we would have to pass on Chase. Can you imagine Chase young slipping to the giants and facing off against Morgan Moses with Tua in the backfield. That idea makes me very nervous. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can we stop with the Foster talk.. the guy will most likely never play a down for the Skins. Its far from a given that he will even play football in 2020. LB upgrade is major need for this team so as not to waste the pressure CY will hopefully be able to bring.

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Can we stop with the Foster talk.. the guy will most likely never play a down for the Skins. Its far from a given that he will even play football in 2020. LB upgrade is major need for this team so as not to waste the pressure CY will hopefully be able to bring.

In full agreement with everything you said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Can you stop? You have Orakpo as your user name and I feel like you're jinxing us. I've tried to play it from a standpoint of giving him too high expectations and to slow down, but now I am just kindly telling you that the jinx is strong.

My God, man. 

Chase Young is going to be the best defensive player in NFL history. Chase Young is going to be the best football PLAYER of all-time. :)

• Like 1

They are debating this now on 106.7.  Some of the arguments are a microcosm of some of the debates here.   I get the concept of no player is superman so its better to tone down the hype so you aren't expecting miracles especially right out of the gate.  I agree with that.

But I think most of us are simply jazzed to potentially get an elite player for a change and want to see if there is some ripple effect on others on the defensive side of the ball.

For me, I like the elite player (and yes I know nothing is guaranteed) drill.  It would be so unique for this franchise.  I personally subscribe to the Cooley theory (among others) that you need at least 1-2 elite players to make it to be big dance and its tough to do it without it.  And the bonus to me is it would be fun for this franchise to be talked about for a change because they have a player that is coveted in a big way throughout the league.  I don't think it would be RG3 part 2 as for hype and national attention but if he plays to his potential it would be the closest thing to that.

I saw Rick Snider's article that the SF loss is proof that they should trade down.  I think his logic is ludicrous.  Yeah SF didn't win.  But no one is claiming a DE > Qb.  I'd take Mahomes over Nick Bosa or Chase Young or name that player 100 times out of 100.  A great pass rusher doesn't change a team's fortunes all on their own.  But they can help change a defense.  But no matter what you aren't winning much without really good QB play.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, oraphus said:

Foster and his agent disagree with you....we will see. Guess we'll know a lot more in the May/June minicamps......

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But no one is claiming a DE > Qb.  I'd take Mahomes over Nick Bosa or Chase Young or name that player 100 times out of 100.  A great pass rusher doesn't change a team's fortunes all on their own.  But they can help change a defense.  But no matter what you aren't winning much without really good QB play.  

So you draft a healthy Tua?

https://www.redskins.com/news/terry-mclaurin-believes-chase-young-has-a-chance-to-possibly-be-the-best

Redskins receiver Terry McLaurin is in a unique position; he was a Buckeye himself from 2015-18, so he has played with the Bosa brothers -- each of whom won NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year -- in addition to Young. Out of those three, McLaurin thinks Young has the potential to be the best.

"I've seen them all," McLaurin told Voice of the Redskins Larry Michael and staff writer Kyle Stackpole on Radio Row ahead of Super Bowl LIV. "In college, I felt like Chase was the most productive of the three, and he has a chance to possibly be the best. That doesn't take anything away from [Joey and Nick]. That just tells you how good he can be."

There are few, if any questions regarding Young as top-tier prospect, and ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay believes the Redskins selecting him could be "the easiest pick on the board."

"Last year's No. 2 pick and Buckeyes teammate Nick Bosa was a difference-maker [for the San Francisco 49ers] in Year 1," McShay wrote in his latest mock draft. "But the scary truth is that Young is an even better prospect."

• Like 3

NBC Sports Washington's Tyler Roman: Chase Young

Analysis: "Chase Young is a stud and the greatest talent in this class. The Redskins are lucky to get him here at No. 2 since the Bengals need a QB. Young is a transcendent talent, he is an absolute monster off the edge indicative of his school-record 16.5 sacks. Young is a game wrecker that has the potential to be in the same class of the Von Millers and Khalil Macks of the world. Young and last year’s first-rounder Montez Sweat should strike fear in opponents coming off the edge for years to come."

NFL.com's Chad Reuter: Chase Young

Analysis: "Young's the top defender in the class. This is an easy pick."

ESPN's Todd McShay: Chase Young

Analysis: "This could be the easiest pick on the board, and considering the Redskins were 10th in the league with 46 sacks, it doesn’t have much to do with a particular need. No, this instead has everything to do with the special talent of Young, who has one of the highest grades I’ve given a player in two decades of scouting. Last year’s No. 2 pick and former Buckeyes teammate Nick Bosa was a difference-maker in Year 1, but the scary truth is that Young is an even better prospect. He can line up opposite Montez Sweat at defensive end or drop back into a 3-4 outside linebacker role. It doesn’t matter — Young will be in the face of opposing quarterbacks every Sunday. He led the nation with 16.5 sacks in 2019, and he missed two games."

ESPN's Mel Kiper: Chase Young

Analysis: "If you scanned Washington’s depth chart, you probably wouldn’t pick out an edge rusher as its top need. It might not even be in the top three. And yet, the Redskins absolutely can’t pass on Young — unless they get bowled over with an offer from a team trading up. With 16.5 sacks in 2019, Young was truly dominant, and he’ll make an instant impact at the next level. Yes, Washington has veteran Ryan Kerrigan, who has one year left on his contract, and just took Montez Sweat (seven sacks in Year 1) in the first round, but Young has All-Pro talent and is my top-ranked prospect overall. New coach Ron Rivera will love him."

CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso: Chase Young 

Analysis: "While this is the first team that'll get some trade-up inquiries, Tua Tagovailoa's hip will limit what teams will offer and should lead to Washington staying put and picking Young."

The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer: Chase Young

Analysis: "Young qualifies as a better prospect than recent Ohio State studs Joey and Nick Bosa. With defensive-minded Ron Rivera hired as head coach, assuming the Redskins don’t get a can’t-refuse offer to trade back, they should jump at the chance to get this cornerstone talent for the team's defensive rebuild. Young (6-5, 265 pounds) is a game-changing disruptor who had 16.5 sacks in only 12 games as a junior."

USA TODAY's Nate Davis: Chase Young

Analysis: "Widely perceived to be this draft's top overall prospect, the Maryland native is also a natural fit for the 'Skins. Young compiled an Ohio State single-season record 16½ sacks in 2019 (in just 12 games) and should nicely man one of the edges as Washington switches to a 4-3 defensive front under new coach Ron Rivera."

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller: Chase Young

Analysis: "Just like the No. 1 overall pick in this draft, the second pick is almost locked in—the Redskins should select Ohio State pass-rusher Chase Young. There will be talk and speculation about drafting a quarterback or trading this pick—both of which technically could happen but are incredibly unlikely given what we know about Ron Rivera, lead personnel man Kyle Smith and the direction this team wants to take. Young, like Nick Bosa last year, is too good to pass up at No. 2 overall. Even if this isn't a top-tier need (Bosa wasn't either for the 49ers), sometimes you have to take the best player available. Especially when the player is at the second-most important position in football. With Young on the roster, Washington will have four first-rounders and stud Matt Ioannidis on the defensive line for 2020."

WalterFootball.com's Charlie Campbell: Chase Young

Analysis: "The Redskins take the best player in the 2020 NFL Draft and could form a legendary defensive line with Young, Jonathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne and Montez Sweat. Young (6-5, 265) dominated a lot of the opponents Ohio State played this season and missed two games with a suspension. He has some size to him to go along with speed and athleticism off the edge. With his superb first-step, pass-rushing moves, agility, and ability to close, Young looks like a future Pro Bowler who annually produces double-digit sacks. In 2019, Young had 16.5 sacks with 46 tackles, six forced fumbles, three passes batted and a blocked kick. With the way that Young dominated in 2019, he is the top prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft regardless of position."

The Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs: Chase Young

Analysis: "We’ll get several months worth of speculation trying to convince us there’s any other possible outcome for the Washington Redskins and the second-overall pick but we’d only be kidding ourselves to buy it.  The only way Washington takes a different route is if a team decides to give them a Robert Griffin III level package of three or more first-round picks to jump ahead of the Detroit Lions to ensure a quarterback of its choice. I have a hard time seeing it — so the best player available is the choice at two."

The Draft Network's Carter Donnick: Chase Young

Analysis: "Another slam-dunk selection. Young is pound for pound the best prospect in this class, and makes complete sense for a team already committed to their QB of the future."

Pro Football Focus' Michael Renner: Chase Young

Analysis: "While Dwayne Haskins didn’t solidify any sort of franchise quarterback status with his performance in Year 1, we’re not going pass on a talent like Young to take another swing at the signal-caller position. Young is the best player in the draft regardless of position, and he plays a pretty valuable position in his own right."

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah: Chase Young

Analysis: "The Redskins already have some talented pieces on the defensive line, but Young is a once-in-a-decade talent."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-mock-draft-roundup-clean-sweep-chase-young

• Like 11

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not sure who they'd go after in FA...Bridgewater? It's not every year you have the #1 pick in the draft, are in dire need of a QB, and there's a really good prospect there that's likely worth that pick. IMO in that situation, taking positional value and need into consideration they'd have to have Chase ranked significantly higher than Burrow to take him. Which would probably mean they don't have Burrow rated nearly as high as most. Which is possible, but I'd consider it unlikely. 

Well you know they could pick up Bridgewater in FA, and that is not a horrible choice.  He played real well when Bree's was out. But honestly I would always worry about an injury with him no matter what.   The truth is they are doing a whole rebuild in Cincinnati, they are horrible, so they have to start with a QB they can build the franchise around so the right choice would be Burrow. 

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/scouting-report-chase-young-whos-everything-you-want-defensive-end

Young is the best defensive prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft and is one of the best defensive end prospects to come from the college ranks in years. But why exactly is he so hyped up?

Well, to answer that question, the Redskins Talk podcast brought on Ohio State beat writer Bill Rabinowitz for a scouting report on the 20-year-old (yes, he's just 20). Rabinowitz, like most others, has a hard time finding a flaw in Young's game.

"You're getting pretty much a finished product," he said. "He's not a project, he's the real deal." 

"He's everything you want in a defensive end," Rabinowitz continued. "He's quick, he's fast, he's strong, he's a very good technician. He cares. It's about as no-brainer of a pick as you're going to find, honestly."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I don't get the point of bringing up a college ball players age..uhhh yeah there just coming out of college so of course there young...!??

For multiple reasons. 

One, some graduate high school at 17 and come into the nfl after 3 years at 20 while others graduate high school at 18 or 19 and spend 5 years in college and come into the nfl at 23 or 24. Since the nfl lifespan can be so short this gives you a solid 3 to 4 extra years of prime and that is a big deal.

Plus a guy who looks extremely polished at 20 with three years of college is more impressive than someone who is 23 with 5 years of college so it suggests that there could be even more room for improvement where as someone older it might suggest there ceiling is a little lower so to speak.

None of it is a certainty but a big consideration when evaluating players.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, redskinss said:

For multiple reasons. 

One, some graduate high school at 17 and come into the nfl after 3 years at 20 while others graduate high school at 18 or 19 and spend 5 years in college and come into the nfl at 23 or 24. Since the nfl lifespan can be so short this gives you a solid 3 to 4 extra years of prime and that is a big deal.

Plus a guy who looks extremely polished at 20 with three years of college is more impressive than someone who is 23 with 5 years of college so it suggests that there could be even more room for improvement where as someone older it might suggest there ceiling is a little lower so to speak.

Cool man..thanks for breaking that down for me..makes sence!

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Weinke

He was drafted at 29 years old

Wow..I guess a player being drafted at that age has a short shelf life.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

For multiple reasons. 

All of this is true, but it also implies that the guy isn't at his athletic ceiling. At 20, he can still get a little faster, a lot stronger, a bit bigger. Also, a player that dominates 21-23 year olds at 19 and 20 years old is a different kind of animal from a 23 year old that is dominating 19 year olds. The latter guy has 4 or 5 years in a college weight room and isn't more talented at baseline than those other players necessarily. Breakout age is a super useful metric for WR's, but I think also has some value for other positions. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hoover-ball said:

Take Young in the first and then from the third on it would be all offense for  me. Third is a good place for some OL.

3rd round seems to really be a sweet spot for Guards and TEs. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is it realistic to think that working with Chase Young will help Montez Sweat's technique? I'm not sure there is any precedent for that. 

Also, I love how violent Chase's hand use is. He's so sudden and violent when knocking away another player's hands and arms. 

I think it would be pretty realistic. Chase was coached by one of the best defensive line coaches in college football history in Larry Johnson. Same with both Bosa brothers. IMO he's one of the reasons those guys are all so polished. He's apparently a big proponent of hand use and manipulation for DL; you see that a bunch in the Bosa brothers as well as Chase. Really active and violent hands to either keep OL guys off of their pads and off balance, or for violent hand punches. That's another thing that stood out to me when I watched Chase...really violent punches that you could tell rocked the lineman they were up against. 

• Like 3