Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

https://fansided.com/2020/02/05/2020-nfl-draft-profile-chase-best-prospect/amp/

Young is a rare EDGE prospect who would be a bona fide top-five pick in pretty much any class you put him in. Had LSU’s Joe Burrow not put together the 2019 season he did, I don’t think there’s any doubt Young would be as sure of a bet to go first overall as you can get.

Size, length, freakish athleticism, and ability to dominate against the run and pass, Young is an All-Pro caliber EDGE player who profiles best with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3 alignment. He will challenge for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in his first season, and if he’s able to remain healthy, he should become a sack machine and perennial Defensive POY candidate as soon as he steps on the field at the pro level.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101375/article/mclaurin-young-could-be-better-than-bosa-brothers?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bplyr%3Djoseph_bosa%3Bplyr%3Dterry_mclaurin%3Bplyr%3Dnicholas_bosa&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

A lightning-quick first step, Young can blast pass blockers before they get out of their stance. The edge rusher can win with power or speed and sets the edge well versus the run. NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranked Young his No. 1 overall prospect in 2020 and compared the OSU product to the likes of Julius Peppers and Mario Williams.

• Like 4

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/super-bowl-54-player-performance-nfl-rookie-stock-report/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

The 49ers may have come out on the losing end of the Super Bowl, but that should not take away from the performances their rookies put up. All season long, the 49ers have gotten some great play out of their latest crop of rookies, and Sunday’s game was no exception. It all starts up front with the Defensive Rookie of the Year award winner, Nick Bosa.

To say that Bosa was hard for the Chiefs’ offensive line to handle on Sunday would be a gross understatement. The former Ohio State star and number two overall pick turned in one of the most dominating performances I’ve ever seen from a pass rusher. It was arguably the best performance on the biggest stage since Reggie White dominated the New England Patriots all those years ago. Bosa is already putting himself in rarefied air, and he’s got so much career ahead of him. If this Super Bowl is any indication — or his entire NFL rookie season, for that matter — Bosa is going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. 

• Like 2

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pauline-rivera-loves-chase-young-redskins-news-and-notes/

On Draft Insiders, Tony mentioned the interest the Redskins and new head coach Ron Rivera have in Young: “I will tell you this – I said weeks ago that in my Q&A segment that Ron Rivera, who took over the Washington Redskins, loves Chase Young. I’ve not heard that that has changed. I’m told that he loves The Predator and he reminds him of Julius Peppers. As of right now, it’s very likely the way they’re going to go.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pauline-rivera-loves-chase-young-redskins-news-and-notes/

On Draft Insiders, Tony mentioned the interest the Redskins and new head coach Ron Rivera have in Young: “I will tell you this – I said weeks ago that in my Q&A segment that Ron Rivera, who took over the Washington Redskins, loves Chase Young. I’ve not heard that that has changed. I’m told that he loves The Predator and he reminds him of Julius Peppers. As of right now, it’s very likely the way they’re going to go.”

Yo RakPo, for your sake I hope the Skins draft him at 2.  Oh hell, me too!😂

• Like 2

I know this is probably a no brainer hypothetical, but I'm curious if you had the choice right now with the second overall pick between chase young and nick bosa, knowing what we know now who would you pick?

Obviously smart money is on bosa, already proven he can be a dominant force in the nfl and had a d.r.o.t.y. season but I wonder if there's anyone in here with so much confidence in young that they'd take him over bosa right now.

40 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know this is probably a no brainer hypothetical, but I'm curious if you had the choice right now with the second overall pick between chase young and nick bosa, knowing what we know now who would you pick?

Obviously smart money is on bosa, already proven he can be a dominant force in the nfl and had a d.r.o.t.y. season but I wonder if there's anyone in here with so much confidence in young that they'd take him over bosa right now.

Give me Young.

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/lane-kiffin-compares-ohio-states-chase-young-to-former-no-1-pick-myles-garrett-he-will-change-your-whole-game-plan/?amp

“Guy’s a great player and will change your whole game plan like a Myles Garrett does,” Kiffin said, according to Eleven Warriors. “We saw it happen.”

“I can see why they talk about him being the first pick in the draft,” Kiffin said. “The guy’s a special player, and he really changed the first half by himself. We had some plays that were going to be there and he makes plays. They’re a very talented team. We just played a top-five team.”

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Give me Young.

I had a feeling you might be the one who'd take young.

Do you really feel his potential is worth two in the Bush or do you just feel emotionally connected to young because it feels like he's a Redskin already due to the multiple pages and multiple threads?

Edited by redskinss

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I had a feeling you might be the one who'd take young.

Do you really feel his potential is worth two in the Bush or do you just feel emotionally connected to young because it feels like he's a Redskin already due to the multiple pages and multiple threads?

Both :)

Really though I believe Young has more upside, he's an athletic freak with more potential to be a mega star the likes of J.J. Watt. Bosa is very good too though imo.

https://nflmocks.com/2019/11/24/2020-nfl-draft-chase-young-good-no-1/amp/

As great of a prospect as Garrett was, Young is even better. He is an absolutely dominant player who could come in and make a difference right away. Chase Young is the kind of player who you can build a defense around. Pass him up at your own risk.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Most who answer this are going to say Young because... well... you know why. 

I think it’s a crazy difficult choice. If they were both in this years draft or last years draft I think there would have been a lot of debate.

Through the beginning of this season, in college stats, Bosa had more tackles and TFLs (also more games), but Young had better sack numbers. We didn’t get to see senior year Bosa all that much. 

I think Bosa is more disruptive versus the run and takes better attack angles on the rush.

I think Young is a better finisher on the rush and more athletic. 

But I don’t think the differences are all that much. You can nitpick little things across the board, but they’re very similar as prospects IN MY VIEW. 

others vehemently will stand on a mountain top and pound for Young. Recency bias, homerism and his production and ability are all reasons why they would.

In the end I think the pass rush finishing ability Young has shown and his overall athleticism would have landed him ahead of Bosa on the majority of teams’ draft boards. But I do think, depending on what teams were looking for schematically, there are teams who would have had Bosa above him. 

So, completely arbitrarily, I think 20 teams would have ranked Young higher. 12 for Bosa. Those are made up numbers to illustrate my point on the two of them. 

So my answer to the question is Young. But barely. And that answer is in the context of if they were both in the draft. Using your parameters, I take Bosa because he’s shown it at the NFL level

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ohio-states-chase-young-is-playing-like-a-heisman-contender/

Ohio State is bludgeoning its opponents. The margin of victory in each of the team’s eight wins has been no smaller than 24 points, meaning that Young — perhaps in the interest of opposing quarterback safety — is removed from the field of play well before the score goes final. Among defensive linemen, Young is tied for 290th in defensive snaps, playing 261 total snaps this season. Just 17 of those snaps have come in the fourth quarter. His workload consists of little more than half of Ohio State’s total defensive snaps and just 15.5 percent of the Buckeyes’ fourth-quarter defensive snaps.

planos-OHIO-STATE-1029.png?w=575

Heisman voters are mere human beings, biased by factors ranging from region to conference to position to race. Production is rarely contextualized,4 and the data with which these votes are cast is limited when it comes to defensive players. Sacks, tackles for loss and pressures — all of which Young has going for his candidacy — are only a fraction of on-field production and value.

But while imperfect, parsing Ohio State’s defensive splits with and without Young is instructive in identifying his value. While Ohio State allows a best-in-country 3.6 yards per play, with Young on the field, the Buckeyes allow 3.0 (the best mark through eight games since at least 2004), according to ESPN Stats & Information Group. Nearly half of all opponent plays gain zero or negative yardage when Young is on the field, a rate that drops 10.1 percentage points when he sits. Moreover, when Young is removed from the field, the Buckeyes pressure rate drops nearly 12 percentage points.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2019/11/22/20977212/chase-young-ohio-state-nfl-draft

Young is an athletic marvel with a prototypical frame for the edge rusher position. The Buckeyes defender is 6-foot-5 and, as former teammate and current 49er Nick Bosa recently put it, “270 pounds with a six-pack.” (He’s listed at 265, but you get the point.) Young boasts a thick, muscular lower half and long, powerful arms―a rare combination of mass, length, and athleticism that helps make him one of the most versatile defenders in college football. He’s a movable chess piece capable of playing all over the line, setting the edge with authority against the run on one play and then rag-dolling opposing tackles to get to the quarterback on the next. He’s even adaptable enough to line up as a stand-up end and drop back into coverage, as the Buckeyes asked him to do at times against Wisconsin back on October 26―a schematic package the team drew up to throw the Badgers offense for a loop.

Of course, his ability to go backward isn’t what will get Young drafted inside the top three picks of the 2020 draft—it’s his ability to get after the passer. Young’s get-off at the snap is the first thing that jumps off the tape: Whether he’s rushing from a two- or a three-point stance, the Buckeyes edge rusher uncoils upfield to explode through blocks with the speed of a drag racer. That elite first step has left his coaches at Ohio State in awe: It’s “ridiculous,” co-defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley recently put it. “His get-off, his speed, it’s unbelievable. It’s like nothing I’ve seen before.” Head coach Ryan Day apparently concurs, noting after Young’s massive four-sack outing against the Badgers that the junior pass rusher’s first step is “the best I’ve been around.” Coaches often talk up their players, sure, but that’s still pretty lofty praise considering how recently Day coached Bosa.

It’s still very early in the predraft process, of course, but there’s little doubt that Young has all the attributes teams look for in a franchise-altering player: He’s a rare athlete, has posted extraordinary numbers, boasts a developing repertoire of fundamental techniques, and by all accounts, has a strong work ethic and desire to improve his game. With the versatility to play multiple roles in just about any defense, Young is already as close to the complete package as a prospect as you can get―and at 20 years old, he’s just getting started.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/chase-young-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-development-rise-nfl-draft/

"It was a test, and going through all that, I’m good with it now because I know how that feels. With the whole double teams and chips and stuff like that, it really doesn’t faze me anymore because I trust in Coach J. They can’t do that the whole game. If they want to win the game, they can’t throw those little 5-yard passes the whole game. They’re going to have to launch the ball, and when they do, that’s when you’ve got to make them pay for it. You just have to take advantage of your opportunities. I feel like after going through that, I’m ready for anything.”

That, of course, is bad news for those tackles that Young spends hours studying each week.

If he’s ready for anything, there’s nobody ever really ready to stop him.

“I would say I really haven’t thought of him in the human context,” Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said. “He’s a very good player, big strong defensive end … he’s firm. He’s very well coached. He’s got a very quick first step out of the box.

“I don’t really think of him in terms of: ‘Oh, he’s just like so and so.’ I just look at him like a guy who’s extremely productive, making big plays out there. … He can wreck a football game.”

The Spartans found that out the hard way, and a couple days later Young was in the film room diving into ways that he could have given Ohio State even more.

He could have been anywhere as the off-date weekend started and the Buckeyes earned a couple days of freedom. But Young was in the film room with Johnson, reflecting on where he’s been and looking ahead to where he wants to go.

“He wants to be the best,” Johnson said. “Whatever it takes, he’s driven to be the best.”

So, take a stroll down memory lane with Chase Young.

The proof for the best player in the country is right there on film.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Most who answer this are going to say Young because... well... you know why. 

I think it’s a crazy difficult choice. If they were both in this years draft or last years draft I think there would have been a lot of debate.

Through the beginning of this season, in college stats, Bosa had more tackles and TFLs (also more games), but Young had better sack numbers. We didn’t get to see senior year Bosa all that much. 

I think Bosa is more disruptive versus the run and takes better attack angles on the rush.

I think Young is a better finisher on the rush and more athletic. 

But I don’t think the differences are all that much. You can nitpick little things across the board, but they’re very similar as prospects IN MY VIEW. 

others vehemently will stand on a mountain top and pound for Young. Recency bias, homerism and his production and ability are all reasons why they would.

In the end I think the pass rush finishing ability Young has shown and his overall athleticism would have landed him ahead of Bosa on the majority of teams’ draft boards. But I do think, depending on what teams were looking for schematically, there are teams who would have had Bosa above him. 

I agree there would be a good debate around it if they were both in the same draft, but I think nearly every team would have Young ranked ahead of Bosa. 

Prople seem to have forgotten, but Nick Bosa had legitimate injury concerns as a prospect. He had just missed most of his last year at Ohio State due to injury and was also dealing with guilt by association with his brother missing most of the 2018 NFL season due to injury. There are definitely teams that would have ranked Young over Bosa for that reason alone if they had them graded equally before taking that into account. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/chase-young-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-development-rise-nfl-draft/

"It was a test, and going through all that, I’m good with it now because I know how that feels. With the whole double teams and chips and stuff like that, it really doesn’t faze me anymore because I trust in Coach J. They can’t do that the whole game. If they want to win the game, they can’t throw those little 5-yard passes the whole game. They’re going to have to launch the ball, and when they do, that’s when you’ve got to make them pay for it. You just have to take advantage of your opportunities. I feel like after going through that, I’m ready for anything.”

That, of course, is bad news for those tackles that Young spends hours studying each week.

If he’s ready for anything, there’s nobody ever really ready to stop him.

“I would say I really haven’t thought of him in the human context,” Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said. “He’s a very good player, big strong defensive end … he’s firm. He’s very well coached. He’s got a very quick first step out of the box.

“I don’t really think of him in terms of: ‘Oh, he’s just like so and so.’ I just look at him like a guy who’s extremely productive, making big plays out there. … He can wreck a football game.”

The Spartans found that out the hard way, and a couple days later Young was in the film room diving into ways that he could have given Ohio State even more.

He could have been anywhere as the off-date weekend started and the Buckeyes earned a couple days of freedom. But Young was in the film room with Johnson, reflecting on where he’s been and looking ahead to where he wants to go.

“He wants to be the best,” Johnson said. “Whatever it takes, he’s driven to be the best.”

So, take a stroll down memory lane with Chase Young.

The proof for the best player in the country is right there on film.

Rak, you should stop posting all this positive data in reference to Chase.  Bengals might read this stuff and draft our boy and Lord knows we don't need that to happen!

Honestly, I sometimes can't believe this team has the opportunity to draft a player that plays at an elite level like that can potentially change a franchise.  The cool thing is the kid grew up here.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

That's a really tough question. Given that we know what Bosa is I'd likely pick him if going by the specifics of your question (knowing what we know now) since you'd have absolutely no doubts that you're getting a top NFL pass rusher who can transform a defense. Even given hindsight though I'd still be at least tempted to take Young. He's not as refined a technician as Bosa was when he came out but he's a better athlete and more explosive (and as @KDawgnoted, a better finisher). His ceiling is just so high...so it would be tough.

But if they were both in the draft together without any advanced knowledge I'd probably take Young because of his superior upside. 

18 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Prople seem to have forgotten, but Nick Bosa had legitimate injury concerns as a prospect. He had just missed most of his last year at Ohio State due to injury and was also dealing with guilt by association with his brother missing most of the 2018 NFL season due to injury. There are definitely teams that would have ranked Young over Bosa for that reason alone if they had them graded equally before taking that into account. 

I certainly didn't... I noted we didn't get to see him most of his senior season. Any injury talk with him was overplayed, in my opinion. He could have returned to OSU last year but didn't because of his draft status being so high. I think that's a fairly moot point. But I can't say you're wrong because teams do strange things.

Don't really care on the Bosa, Young debate aside from the conversation of is Young in that Bosa type rarefied air?  And I think he is. 

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/joel-klatt-has-extreme-praise-for-ohio-states-chase-young

“He’s just a total game wrecker,” Klatt said on 106.7 The Fan, via Saturday Tradition. “Every time that he’s needed to make a play, it seemed like he was close. From my standpoint, this is the type of guy that you can draft, you can plug him in and you can play him right away. I think he is a better version of Nick Bosa. Bosa is explosive but he’s shorter. Chase has better length. He’s a little better versus the run because of that length. He is the type of guy that I think can be an all pro multiple times in his career.”

Chase

•  
  • Share & more
  • Glossary
    Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career Ohio State         68 30 98 40.5 30.5 0 0   0 8 0     9
*2017 Ohio State Big Ten FR DE 9 11 7 18 5.0 3.5 0 0   0 0 0     1
*2018 Ohio State Big Ten SO DE 13 25 9 34 14.5 10.5 0 0   0 5 0     1
*2019 Ohio State Big Ten JR DE 12 32 14 46 21.0 16.5 0 0   0 3 0     7

Bosa

• Glossary
    Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career Ohio State         47 30 77 29.0 17.5 0 0   0 2 0   1 2
*2016 Ohio State Big Ten FR DE 12 17 12 29 7.0 5.0 0 0   0 0 0     0
*2017 Ohio State Big Ten SO DL 14 19 15 34 16.0 8.5 0 0   0 2 0     1
*2018 Ohio State Big Ten JR DE 3 11 3 14 6.0 4.0 0 0   0 0 0   1 1

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

We just need to get to the draft already..ugggghh this ain't even a normal short February 

The fun part hasn't even happened yet!  The Combine is going to take all the stuff we've been talking about and flip it around like a bingo ball mixer.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

The fun part hasn't even happened yet!  The Combine is going to take all the stuff we've been talking about and flip it around like a bingo ball mixer.

I was just thinking about that..yeaaahhhh stuffs starting to heat up!!..gonna be a very interesting next couple months...CAN NOT WAIT for training camp!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I was just thinking about that..yeaaahhhh stuffs starting to heat up!!..gonna be a very interesting next couple months...CAN NOT WAIT for training camp!!

I am more excited about this draft, than I have been in a long time.  The feeling going into this draft is legit, how much better will be?  I've struggled with this in the past because I had little confidence in our draft position, as well as the people making the decisions.  We seem to have good people making the decisions, and were in a VERY favorable situation... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My combine performance prediction for Chase:

40 Time - 6.1

Bench Press - 11 reps

Vertical -  29"

Cone work - disasterous!

Interviews - unintelligible!

Trade the damn pick!

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I am more excited about this draft, than I have been in a long time.  The feeling going into this draft is legit, how much better will be?  I've struggled with this in the past because I had little confidence in our draft position, as well as the people making the decisions.  We seem to have good people making the decisions, and were in a VERY favorable situation... 

Ohhh man..yeah for sure...I'm trying to..I'm gonna go all hillbilly so stay with me...talk my wife into letting me get a couple packages that put us at the NFL draft in Vegas with our tax returns..I'm that stoked about the draft..the possibilities..especially if we trade down..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, arftech said:

My combine performance prediction for Chase:

40 Time - 6.1

Bench Press - 11 reps

Vertical -  29"

Cone work - disasterous!

Interviews - unintelligible!

Trade the damn pick!

:ols:

Interview notes:

After having what a handshake is described to him several times, the interviewee attempted to eat his own shoe for 5 minutes before becoming interested in a flickering light bulb. Asked what he loved about football, responded "I LOVE LAMP" several times before finding the light bulb once more. Drew up plays for white board work, and interviewee appeared to play dead. Attempted to explain that we knew he wasn't dead and interviewee got up and ran out the door while screaming something about a refrigerator. 

Consensus: Top 3 pick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, redskinss said:

Can I sleep on it?  Do I take a dominant NFL rookie or take the player who virtually every expert says is a better prospect who hasn't played a down in the NFL?  One has spectacularly shown what he can and will do at the NFL level and the other nothing...yet.

Bosa?  Maybe??????