Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Terry Mclaurin,Brandon Scerff, Ereck Flowers,Tress Way and several up coming players say hi.

McLaurin is certainly on his way to being elite if he continues to improve. Scherff IMO is very good but not elite...didn't live up to a #5 pick for a Guard. Flowers is not elite...decent, but far from elite. Tress Way is legit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

McLaurin is certainly on his way to being elite if he continues to improve. Scherff IMO is very good but not elite...didn't live up to a #5 pick for a Guard. Flowers is not elite...decent, but far from elite. Tress Way is legit. 

Every single player that puts on the burgundy and gold are elite. Now I'm just being silly..its stupid early and I'm getting ready for work

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Terry Mclaurin,Brandon Scerff, Ereck Flowers,Tress Way and several up coming players say hi.

The only player on your list that I consider elite at what he does is Tress Way and teams don't fear/ game plan for punters.    It is what it is.

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Regarding Scherff, I don't care what position you play (outside of special teamer) if you are going to give me 3 pro bowl selections, and make the All Rookie Team, before your rookie deal expires....  you're worth the no. 5 pick.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We'e been the kings of this, or top 3 if I recall three years in a row.  

I think you’re right when it comes to Football Outsiders Adjusted Games Lost, but this must be different from that:

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Regarding Scherff, I don't care what position you play (outside of special teamer) if you are going to give me 3 pro bowl selections, and make the All Rookie Team, before your rookie deal expires....  you're worth the no. 5 pick.  

Yeah, other than Amari Cooper, who went 4th overall, I’d easily take Scherff over any of the other guys in the top 10 of that 2015 draft. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Not saying I don't like him, and I do think he's a very good Guard. But IMO he isn't elite. He's probably top 10 (IIRC that's where PFF graded him as well..#9 I believe). #5 overall is super high for a Guard, considering that many of the best ones in the league (outside of a few) were taken in later rounds. If you're going to take a Guard in the first round (let alone 5th overall) you expect a Martin, DeCastro, or Nelson. in other words, perennial All-Pros. That isn't Scherff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not saying I don't like him, and I do think he's a very good Guard. But IMO he isn't elite. He's probably top 10 (IIRC that's where PFF graded him as well..#9 I believe). #5 overall is super high for a Guard, considering that many of the best ones in the league (outside of a few) were taken in later rounds. If you're going to take a Guard in the first round (let alone 5th overall) you expect a Martin, DeCastro, or Nelson. in other words, perennial All-Pros. That isn't Scherff. 

I can see that... He may not be 'elite' but he's pretty damn close

On 1/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, bakedtater1 said:

You consider Ereck Flowers an elite player?  McLaurin has played only one season, there is a.difference between a young player who had a very good rookie season and an elite player who has been a different maker for several years.    Scherff is very good but a bit overrated, his Pro Bowl appearance this season was simply crazy.  I know this is not popular to say but he is not an elite player IMO. There is a difference between being damned good and being elite. Russ Grimm was elite, Sherff ain't no Russ Grimm.    So that leaves a punter.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You consider Ereck Flowers an elite player?  McLaurin has played only one season, there is a.difference between a young player who had a very good rookie season and an elite player who has been a different maker for several years.    Scherff is very good but a bit overrated, his Pro Bowl appearance this season was simply crazy.  I know this is not popular to say but he is not an elite player IMO. There is a difference between being damned good and being elite. Russ Grimm was elite, Sherff ain't no Russ Grimm.    So that leaves a punter.  

Not attacking you, but still haven’t discovered any information that grades/compares Scherff to other guards this past season and showing him not having a pro bowl caliber season. I know he graded out well on PFF, but that’s not always a great measure, but with Oline it’s extremely convenient for a laymen fan to lean on lol. 

Scherff had 2 games with multiple penalties and that’s bad but the remaining 12 or so he had 4 accepted penalties. 

Absolutely dumbfounded how fans and radio personalities are ready to let go of Scherff and lock in Flowers to a long term contract. Or toss aside Trent Williams, due to him being 31 when so many examples are available to show he will play into his mid 30s and easy to project for a talent like it would be at a high level. 

Invest in the Oline and get them all back. The team is in a unique position with many of the projected playmakers being on rookie deals and rookie QB salary starting when Alex is off the books this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

Not attacking you, but still haven’t discovered any information that grades/compares Scherff to other guards this past season and showing him not having a pro bowl caliber season. I know he graded out well on PFF, but that’s not always a great measure, but with Oline it’s extremely convenient for a laymen fan to lean on lol. 

Scherff had 2 games with multiple penalties and that’s bad but the remaining 12 or so he had 4 accepted penalties. 

Absolutely dumbfounded how fans and radio personalities are ready to let go of Scherff and lock in Flowers to a long term contract. Or toss aside Trent Williams, due to him being 31 when so many examples are available to show he will play into his mid 30s and easy to project for a talent like it would be at a high level. 

Invest in the Oline and get them all back. The team is in a unique position with many of the projected playmakers being on rookie deals and rookie QB salary starting when Alex is off the books this year. 

Pro Bowls are cool and all but for an elite player I look for All Pro status. In some ways the Pro Bowl is more of a popularity contest than anything else. If I pick a Guard at #5 overall I'm expecting a perennial All Pro. That's Martin, that's DeCastro, that's Nelson. That's not Scherff. He's very good (I believe PFF rated him #9 overall) but he isn't elite. If he wants to be paid as if he's a top 1 or 2 Guard then I'd probably be willing to bite the bullet and let him go. It would suck because he is good...but IMO he isn't worth that big of a payday. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

Scherff is very good. Scherff is not elite yet he is the only player on the list provided by @bakedtater1 that would even be close.  To retain him would cost like $16 million.  For $16 mill a year, and the cost of the 5th overall pick, you needed the player to be Steve Hutchison.  He ain't no Steve Hutchison and a huge contract for a non-elite player will hurt them in other spots.   Ffowers played at close to the level of Scherff and will be much cheaper to re-sign.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

In a vacuum, y'all are right about not signing Scherff to an elite contract, but considering we might lose both of out tackles and need to keep some continuity on the line, I think you just have to resign him. Balls in his court. Then hope scheme and coaching and added talent, helps elevate his game to elite.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Scherff is very good. Scherff is not elite yet he is the only player on the list provided by @bakedtater1 that would even be close.  To retain him would cost like $16 million.  For $16 mill a year, and the cost of the 5th overall pick, you needed the player to be Steve Hutchison.  He ain't no Steve Hutchison and a huge contract for a non-elite player will hurt them in other spots.   Ffowers played at close to the level of Scherff and will be much cheaper to re-sign.   

This also depends on Trent. 

If Trent is moved, or extended short term, you can pay Scherff. 

If Trent is inked for a few extra years, its harder to pay him. 

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

Pro Bowls are cool and all but for an elite player I look for All Pro status. In some ways the Pro Bowl is more of a popularity contest than anything else. If I pick a Guard at #5 overall I'm expecting a perennial All Pro. That's Martin, that's DeCastro, that's Nelson. That's not Scherff. He's very good (I believe PFF rated him #9 overall) but he isn't elite. If he wants to be paid as if he's a top 1 or 2 Guard then I'd probably be willing to bite the bullet and let him go. It would suck because he is good...but IMO he isn't worth that big of a payday. 

I disagree with some but agree with other parts. What is the common theme for Martin and Castro? They have at least one All Pro next to them. Decastro has Maukice Pouncey. Martin has Travis Frederick. I assume you mean Quentin Nelson - he plays LG. Maybe you meant Brandon Brooks? He had Jason Kalce - who also in an All Pro C. He also had Lane Johnson at RT so he had every opportunity to be successful. All Pro is given by side and with Martin, Castro and Brooks, all with All Pro Cs next to them, it will be difficult for Scherff to break through as All Pro where Scherff has had such legendary Cs as Kory L and Chase Roullier (who I like OK but he is not going to challenge anyone for Pro-bowl much less All Pro -at least not yet. He could develop.) Not to mention the mountain of injures on the Oline including his that keeps there from being any kind of continuity. This team and especially the oline have been tops in injuries 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

Now the money part - you (not you personally, you in the abstract) can't look at what players are making now and say - well he was #9 so he should not get more than the #9th rated Guard.  He will get at least top 5 money if they want to keep him. That is simply how the NFL works. 

Having said that, a lasting legacy of Bruce is that he should have extended Brandon last off season. This is how professional organizations do. had he done that, with him coming off injury, I believe he could have gotten him a little bit lower. Now, about to be a FA, Brandon will command more money - someone will pay him top money. So now they either pay him or get in the same franchise tag situation as with Kirk. 

Just for reference, overthecap lists "oline" franchise tag number at about $16M. They did not differentiate between T and G so for G it will likely be a little less. There is much more convoluted equation now that includes a % of CAP component. 

Don;t be surprised if the sign Brandon for something around $14M/yr, or even a little more. Someone will pay him that if not the Redskins. At the end of the day do you want to lose even a "really Good" player that may not be elite over what will amount to a few $M? I personally would rather them make a statement that they plan to take care of internal players. Show some loyalty even if it does cost a little more than you normally would had the process been handled properly. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I disagree with some but agree with other parts. What is the common theme for Martin and Castro? They have at least one All Pro next to them. Decastro has Maukice Pouncey. Martin has Travis Frederick. I assume you mean Quentin Nelson - he plays LG. Maybe you meant Brandon Brooks? He had Jason Kalce - who also in an All Pro C. He also had Lane Johnson at RT so he had every opportunity to be successful. All Pro is given by side and with Martin, Castro and Brooks, all with All Pro Cs next to them, it will be difficult for Scherff to break through as All Pro where Scherff has had such legendary Cs as Kory L and Chase Roullier (who I like OK but he is not going to challenge anyone for Pro-bowl much less All Pro -at least not yet. He could develop.) Not to mention the mountain of injures on the Oline including his that keeps there from being any kind of continuity. This team and especially the oline have been tops in injuries 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

See, this isn't excuses, it's context. Scherff has been playing very well while slogging thru the dumpster fire this team has become. All that horse**** off the field affects the players on gameday. IMO Brandon is quite capable of rising to that supposed "elite" status that some bestow or deny based on their eye test with better coaching, fewer distractions, maybe some respect and loyalty in the organization. Tossing him now would be a stupid move, especially over what might be around 10% between what he (his agent) wants and what the team offers. Cracks me up how people always want to **** about players money like it's coming their own pocket.

• Like 1

I hate to be that guy, but I’ve come into this thread about 15 times now thinking there was Chase Young news and it’s all Brandon Scherff free agency stuff. This should probably all be in the free agency thread. 

In terms of that conversation though, we clearly need to protect Haskins up the middle and we want for him to develop. A strong running game will also help in that regard. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s idea resource allocation to pay a guard 16 million, over the long term. I’d look to give Scherff a front loaded contract that we can easily get out of after a couple or 3 years. And I’d draft OL every year. 

Back to Chase... I’m really looking forward to seeing him at the combine and I’m super curious how he does. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Quentin Nelson plays in between Ryan Kelly and Anthony Castonzo. Both are former 1st round picks who are graded near the top of their respective positions per PFF. There is definitely something to be said for playing next to other top tier players on the OL. 

• Like 3