Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

The first sack on the clip he was tripled teamed leaving a guy unblocked for the sack.

Fascinating how we as humans can differ, I saw an impactful dude working every play. I stopped watching after 6min, due to no longer needing to watch. 

Thats what makes true analysis valuable. 

To clarify earlier... im not suggesting young is a bust, or even not worth the no. 2 pick.  I just didnt see the level of anger in young like i have seen,  prior to that clemson game, on multiple plays.  There were plenty of plays that young was blocked 1 on 1 vs the LT and he was neutralized.  I understand that is gonna happen, but i cant say he was dominant in that game.  A large part of that was also the gameplan.  Clemson was doing everything they could to prevent Young from having an impact.  Bootlegs away from him, quick hitters to the opposite side, multiple fronts forcing young to play pass and run... i get it.   That itself is valuable because we need guys that d coordinators need to change what they do to account for...  all of that said.... i cant look at the Clemson game and come away saying he was at his best... im sorry.  He stood up and jogged on some plays, he gave up his rush on others when his initial move did not win, and he got carried wide at times allowing for a pocket.  All when he was matched up 1 on 1 with a tackle.  Does it mean hes a bad DE?  No, ill still be excited if we take him at 2.  

I keep thinking back to the game vs penn state where he controlled the line.  They kept putting their LT on an island and he was feasting... i just wish i saw some more of that vs Clemson.

• Like 2

This thread is bad juju so I've avoided it, but I have seen a bunch of both CY and Simmons and there is no question for me that Young is better than Simmons.  What you're looking for in an edge to gauge productivity and execution is win rate against tackles and tight ends on passes and generally you are looking for a guy forcing runs successfully on run downs.  Young is generating constant easy wins in one on ones.  You're not looking for lots of pressures on doubles really, but the ability to command a frequent double on the edge is a win for your defense. 

And significant experience against doubles before you get to the NFL is a good thing.  It's a big question mark for most college players, because most college offenses have very simplistic protection schemes and don't have a lot of doubles for edge players and three techs schemes up.  So many of them only have one or two protections, it's hugely different from the NFL.  The offensive coaches of CY's opponents were scheming up and installing new protections for dealing with him.  This is really obvious when you watch the adjustment Wisconsin made from the first match up with Ohio State to the conference championship game. They went from running their regular offense and letting him get four sacks to a completely different max protect scheme intended to neutralize him and take their chances with the other side of the line and in the secondary against unfavorable coverage looks.

Chase Young is a big game dude too.  He's absolutely destroyed Trey Adams and the Huskies OL in the rose bowl last year.  It really only took a cursory following of the season to understand CY was the best non-QB in CFB in 2019.  He's a true no-brainer if we're picking at #2.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

After watching some videos, I'm 100% convinced.

This guy is half LT, half Dexter Manley. A true game changer.

If we don't draft him I will officially go on strike for the entirety of next season.

I'm the same way. I watched enough to be able to see what a special talent he is.  I too saw him taking plays off and jogging when he was not right near the ball but I can overlook that if he destroys offenses. 

I was about as down as any fan could be last year, just never saw anything changing with Dan Snyder in charge. That may very well end up being true but the events of the last month, starting with the securing of the 2nd pick, has me back in.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Thoughts on a player conserving energy throughout a game??

Is this real/smart or lazy/dumb?? 

Depends on the play.. no harm no foul, but if a lack of pursuit on a guy like mahomes results in a big play or td...? Then we got a problem.

Plus... as often as NFL teams can cyle out their D lineman, they shouldnt really need to take a play off while on the field.

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

It was clear to me on a play where he forced a fumble that was being returned by a teammate. His body language said "my job is done here" as he quit on the play but he really should have continued and provided a block, he was very close.  

I too was thinking maybe it's a smart way to conserve energy but it was still not a good look.  But as I said I can certainly overlook this, when the ball is in his site he certainly plays hard.  

• Like 2

Yea, for those having issues with Chase, watch his cut-ups, not the highlights. And then focus on his win rate against the o line first and then whether he gets a sack or a pressure second. 

Watch how active his hands are. Dude is not lazy, but he does pick his shots and doesn’t waste energy which can kind of look meh on tape. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Hi. As one of the forums foremost Isaiah Simmons cheerleaders, I just want to say that the idea that Young is lazy is silly and he’s a specimen. 

Carry on, sirs and sirettes (if any read this thread)

I don’t think you could go wrong either way but according to the prognosticators, Young has HOF pass rusher potential and upside .  

I have no idea if this is true or not.

But what I think you want is the highest impact player you can get.  

Id listen to trades, but getting blue chippers should be the goal early in the draft 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Brokenstriker said:

Buckeyes loss to the Clemson Tigers in the semi-final ...

Chase Young, DE … 2 tackles, 1 QB hurry, 0 tackles for a loss, 0 sacks

Isaiah Simmons LB/S … 4 tackles, 1 INT

This season ...

Young 46 tackles, 16.7 sacks,

Simmons 104 tackles, 7 sacks, 4 INT

2 tackles, 1 hurry, no sacks

I'm honestly at a loss as to what gave you were watching. Chase Young had 10 QB pressures and 4 QB hits. Clemson spent the entire  night doing everything they could to stay away from him

• Like 2

I take one look at Chase Young physically and I am like he is a monster with a skill set we desperately need to truly help our franchise out. If it is true that the Niners turned their D around drafting Bosa and acquiring Dee Ford I am all in.  

With quality coaching we will have one of the top D line in the league.  I look at the Niners secondary and of course they look better and are better. It is because of the pressure up front.  Doesn't it all begins upfront.

I don't want to play around with the pick. I just don't.  I want to draft Young at #2.  Not try to get cute and pick up a few pieces and then watch New York or the Lions walk away with him.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Mexican said:

After watching some videos, I'm 100% convinced.

This guy is half LT, half Dexter Manley. A true game changer.

If we don't draft him I will officially go on strike for the entirety of next season.

I went back and watched game tape of Reuben Foster at Alabama and I thought I was watching Sean Taylor's younger brother. Foster was a beast. If he can get back to his form at Bama and we team him with Chase Young, Montez and the Bama boys we just need to get a free safety to make this defense very formidable. I am juiced to see what JDR can do and to see how bad we can make Daniel Jones, Wentz and Dak look. We have waited long enough, our time is now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

17 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Thats what makes true analysis valuable. 

To clarify earlier... im not suggesting young is a bust, or even not worth the no. 2 pick.  I just didnt see the level of anger in young like i have seen,  prior to that clemson game, on multiple plays.  There were plenty of plays that young was blocked 1 on 1 vs the LT and he was neutralized.  I understand that is gonna happen, but i cant say he was dominant in that game.  A large part of that was also the gameplan.  Clemson was doing everything they could to prevent Young from having an impact.  Bootlegs away from him, quick hitters to the opposite side, multiple fronts forcing young to play pass and run... i get it.   That itself is valuable because we need guys that d coordinators need to change what they do to account for...  all of that said.... i cant look at the Clemson game and come away saying he was at his best... im sorry.  He stood up and jogged on some plays, he gave up his rush on others when his initial move did not win, and he got carried wide at times allowing for a pocket.  All when he was matched up 1 on 1 with a tackle.  Does it mean hes a bad DE?  No, ill still be excited if we take him at 2.  

I keep thinking back to the game vs penn state where he controlled the line.  They kept putting their LT on an island and he was feasting... i just wish i saw some more of that vs Clemson.

Yeah, He was stopped dead in his tracks constantly against Clemson, in fact they tried moving him to the R/T side and still same result, I even saw the Clemson TE block him a couple of times 1 on 1, I don't think CY is all that strong, if NFL tackles get a hold of him he's not going anywhere!!! 

IMO... I think he has bust written all over him!

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, KDawg said:

Hi. As one of the forums foremost Isaiah Simmons cheerleaders, I just want to say that the idea that Young is lazy is silly and he’s a specimen. 

Carry on, sirs and sirettes (if any read this thread)

Can you explain the no hustling on plays?...plays he looked to not be involved in showed him barely jogging...I seen lazy in that clip against Clemson...convince me otherwise...not saying hes a bust or that i dont want him..just calling em howz I seez em.

• Like 1

I remember Shanahan once saying he studied draft picks by focusing on their highlights, figuring he could coach them to play like that or better consistently. Others like to break down every play. 

I wonder which philosophy or where on the continuum the current Redskins’ brain trust lies?

This thread remains ridiculous. The expectations people have are crazy. Chase Young was suspended for 2 games and still had 16.5 sacks. I'd direct everyone complaining about Clemson to go back and watch the video.

Ten hurries and 4 QB hits. I literally cannot remember a Redskin having a game that good in the last ten years. Watch the rest of the highlights. I honestly think his hands are as good as the Bosa brothers. Violent/sudden hands. He wins with speed. He wins with power. Speed to power. Hesitation. Every pass rush move is there. He's beating tackles immediately off the snap consistently. These aren't the clean up/coverage sacks that Redskins are used to seeing. He's a violent hitter. Forces a ton of fumbles and is always going for the ball as he reaches the QB. He's Sean Taylor in a DE body. Generational. Every draft guru out there sees the same thing and he's the highest graded pass rusher PFF has ever seen. Production. Tools. Temperament. If he's a pro bowl player and not an all pro, that will be a let down. This thread just shows that people will complain about anything and see what they want to see. 

Interesting video schematically. I think we could see a good bit of twisting an OLB inside Chase Young in Washington. Even lining Young up at DE sometimes and Sweat on the same side at OLB. 

I

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

You can show me alllll the clips ya want and dissect how ya want but that clip against clemson I seen him half assin it..is it because he knew that was his(possibly)final game and didn't want to risk injury?..idk..every other clip I see of him hes wreaking havoc making big plays so it's obvious hes legit but the half assin it was concerning to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

You can show me alllll the clips ya want and dissect how ya want but that clip against clemson I seen him half assin it..is it because he knew that was his(possibly)final game and didn't want to risk injury?..idk..every other clip I see of him hes wreaking havoc making big plays so it's obvious hes legit but the half assin it was concerning to me.

I'm not concerned at all. I dont think he was half assin. Even if he was for whatever the reason, there is more than enough game tape to suggest that he is anything but lazy and it shouldn't be a concern. And if that were the case, you have to think that he will use that tape as an opportunity to grow as an individual.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I'm not concerned at all. I dont think he was half assin. Even if he was for whatever the reason, there is more than enough game tape to suggest that he is anything but lazy and it shouldn't be a concern. And if that were the case, you have to think that he will use that tape as an opportunity to grow as an individual.

If the skins draft him I'm not worried a single bit with who's coaching him up..I just seen that clip against clemson and that's what stood out to me..I guees I'm wrong for saying concerning..cause once(if)he's a skin ron wont go for it

• Like 1

And all this rubbish about if the skins dont draft chase I'll jump ship..pfff ron burgundy and gold has a plan and if Timmons is a better fit or if trading down to acquire more pics is a better fit or whatever he does he feels is a better fit than we just gotta embrace it and support the coaches decision. Especially when picking second overall errrrbody basically knows what you're doing with that pick by about april 1...if not, than possibly expect the unexpected.

Ok, so the first time (and the next two) that i watched the Clemson video it looked bad at first blush. However, I decided to take a closer look because it really does not match the rest of the season. 

A few take aways - He had a better game than appears when just watching at regular speed and not isolating his play. The do run away from him a lot on running plays. He was doubled and tripled a lot, especially in the first half. He got to the QB a bit more than it appeared at full speed. . 

However, it was still not his best game by far. He had some problems. As the game went on he started getting blocked 1 on 1 by the tackles. He was trying to get around them  and they were riding him out of the play without help. Also, he got caught flat-footed on some pitch plays that went right at him. I did see him give up on a few plays or look un-enthused but in fairness none of them had any impact - he was so far from the play it really didn't matter. Having said that I would still like to see him hustle even if he thinks he is out of the play. 

In the end, I did not see anything that should keep Wash from taking him #2. He is still an athletic freak and already has good control of his body and can make multiple moves. He is also still young (no pun intended). He will turn 21 in April. Lot's up upside and still room for his body to mature. But i am sure they will use this video as a learning opportunity. 

For me, and this will not be very popular - I would like to see them trade out of the pick - yes even if that gives NY CY. But not just any trade. It has to be worth it - like a few additional 1sts either this yr or next and a few other picks - or maybe a player. I would have no problem if they stay put and pick CY. But if you could get a few teams in a bidding war, you would have to consider a trade. I just hate putting all that into one player. One bad knee, and the entire resource is gone. Get multiple picks and you have a much better chance of having impact players. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Did you watch the clip above that I posted? The one of the pressures and QB hits from the Clemson game?

The only thing that I've seen to support your contention is the highlight of him getting a sack and forcing a fumble that is recovered and returned by a team mate. He looked like he wanted no part of blocking on the return. I didn't love that either, but it's probably just a business decision. If he gets significantly hurt on a return, he could lose tens of millions of dollars. It's also a play where we are complaining that he didn't play hard enough AFTER he already sacked the QB and forced a fumble. 

• Like 1