Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

At this point I feel like Chase has more value to us than Burrow. Burrow over Haskins might be an upgrade (might not considering their respective college careers), and to get that supposed potential upgrade you pay a lot. You throw away Haskins and that pick, throw away a year of his learning, reset the clock to zero with the offense. This isn't even considering the media scorn of "there they go again, Skins steppin on their own dick" tropes. The Cards just did this, and it remains to be seen if it was the right move. Kyler played ok but in the end didn't show this year that it was the best possible move.

The Ron n Jack show take Chase, two vet D guys have a weapon to add to what is already a promising group up front, and you have the potential to build a stifling front that doesn't depend on one rook doing it all the way it would with a QB. Watch how much easier SF's front makes it for their secondary, just think how much that would benefit Haskins with TOP and field position and the comfort of knowing it isn't all on him. 

Cincy takes Chase then we all cry over what might have been but you strongarm someone into a haul of picks for Burrow and roll on.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

he has a Masters too...

His resume is beyond impressive, his story is great, numbers are second to none and he seems like a good dude, but I dislike him. I can’t put my finger on why but I don’t like him. I hope Chase sacks him 5 times when we play the Bengals this year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

I figured that but I was trying cause a panic and melt the board today. Let me have my MOMENT!

Boring Tuesday at the office.

My bad, my bad.

forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-2

1 hour ago, Wayne_Millner said:

he has a Masters too...

I heard he solved the Riemann Hypothesis in the middle of a dropback before throwing a dime to a WR in the end zone. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LD0506 said:

At this point I feel like Chase has more value to us than Burrow. Burrow over Haskins might be an upgrade (might not considering their respective college careers), and to get that supposed potential upgrade you pay a lot. You throw away Haskins and that pick, throw away a year of his learning, reset the clock to zero with the offense. This isn't even considering the media scorn of "there they go again, Skins steppin on their own dick" tropes. The Cards just did this, and it remains to be seen if it was the right move. Kyler played ok but in the end didn't show this year that it was the best possible move.

The Ron n Jack show take Chase, two vet D guys have a weapon to add to what is already a promising group up front, and you have the potential to build a stifling front that doesn't depend on one rook doing it all the way it would with a QB. Watch how much easier SF's front makes it for their secondary, just think how much that would benefit Haskins with TOP and field position and the comfort of knowing it isn't all on him. 

Cincy takes Chase then we all cry over what might have been but you strongarm someone into a haul of picks for Burrow and roll on.

I disagree.  If the Bengals were to pass on Burrow & take Chase Young then the Redskins need to draft Burrow.  No questions asked.  You don’t trade down out of a chance to draft an elite franchise QB just because you have Dwayne Haskins (a guy who ran a combine 40 slower than Eli Manning at 5.04).  You’d be nuts not to draft Burrow and move on from Haskins.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Elite D, cheap QB that protects the ball = W.

• Like 7

I understand the view of taking Burrow. He’s the hot tamale, the king with the swing. An Unbelievable year. But I think you bag a haul of picks, and you roll with DH. It comes down to, do you believe in Haskins? I think the kid showed mettle, poise, and the ability to improve in almost every facet of his game over 7 weeks.

For me his arrow is pointing straight up and sky high.  Are there plenty of questions that remain, yes, but he showed me top end QB production over two games. After really starting from absolute 0. Can he put it all together? I give him the chance and everything he needs to be successful.

And I look to grab from Simmons, Jeudy, Okudah and more ballers from the other picks...

• Like 3

How the 49ers are proof that the Redskins should absolutely draft Chase Young

An OVERwhelming amount of mock drafts project the Redskins to select Chase Young with the second overall pick this April, and that's an outcome a majority of fans want to see as well.

However, a subset of fans exist who would prefer Washington to trade down and let someone else land Young while the team collects more picks. And a main argument that subset of fans uses sounds something like, "Well, the Redskins clearly aren't one player away, so they should bypass Young and find a way to add extra talent."

That argument? It's fine. It's OK. It sounds logical.

But for those who are using that argument, consider what the 49ers have done in recent drafts. Perhaps that'll sway your opinion.

In 2015, San Fran drafted D-lineman Arik Armstead with the 17th overall pick.

In 2016, they added DeForest Buckner at No. 7.

In 2017, they nabbed Soloman Thomas third overall.

And in 2019, they took Nick Bosa with the same pick the Redskins will have in a few months.

This year, during a run that'll at least include an NFC title game appearance, those four combined for 28.5 of the defense's 48 sacks, with Armstead, Bosa and Buckner finishing first, second and third in that category.

Over a stretch of five drafts, the Niners loaded up on pass rushers and D-line difference-makers. They kept investing at that vital spot (they also traded for Dee Ford this past offseason) and eventually, that heavy focus tipped the scales and made that aspect of their defense unstoppable.

Now, that strategy is far from the only reason the organization has become one of the league's best on the field. Securing Jimmy Garoppolo has obviously mattered a ton, as has the chemistry between coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch. They've also acquired a host of dangerous running backs to help pace the offense.

That said, by overloading at that one place — even when some would be content with, say, doing so in back-to-back Aprils, as opposed to going so hard and addressing it in four out of five — the 49ers eventually ended up with a deadly rotation of premium players.

The Redskins could very well be on the precipice of accomplishing the same thing in D.C.

The Burgundy and Gold snagged first-round, front line defenders in 2017 (Jonathan Allen), 2018 (Daron Payne) and 2019 (Montez Sweat) and have also seen 2016 fifth-rounder Matt Ioannidis develop into a star. Those four, along with Ryan Kerrigan, have all had their moments. Together, though, they haven't become feared.

Young, though, may be just the person to initiate a unit-wide breakthrough. On defense, at least, the Redskins very well could be one player away, making Young the ideal prospect to trust when it's their turn on the clock.

Putting the Ohio State product alongside Allen, Payne, Ioannidis and Kerrigan, and in Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio's scheme, has the potential to be explosive. 

Sure, the odds of Young helping the Redskins go from second in the draft to the second-to-last weekend in a single year are low. As pointed out, plenty of other important factors clicked for San Fran to make that happen.

Yet Young could be the piece that causes the team's defense to go from disappointing to dominant. Yes, they've already spent so much on that part of the depth chart, but one more investment may be all the Redskins need to see their recent decisions finally all collectively pay off.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/how-49ers-are-proof-redskins-should-absolutely-draft-chase-young

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise Thing is, our top 4 accounted for 27 sacks, and that’s with 1) Kerrigan having a big time down year and 2) our 5th sack leader, Anderson, subbing in a lot for Sweat/Kerrigan.  Our sack total was 46 compared with the Niners 48.5.  

In other words, we’re pretty comparable to the Niners right now from a pass rush standpoint- though I don’t have pressure numbers and that could be a world of difference.  So is Young the best use of assets?  To be clear, I’m not arguing against adding Young - he’ll be a great addition and I’m excited to see him (and the rest of the D) in action.  But what if we essentially already took the step the author is talking about in adding Sweat?  No surprise Sweat started slower than Bosa did, but he came on toward the end of the year, so things project very well for our dline even without Young.  

The bigger question I have is run defense.  Does it improve significantly organically with Del Rio’s scheme?  Is the answer here better linebacking play (vs Young’s addition)?  Would we face more 3rd and long situations and so improve our pass rush production?

And then there’s the coverage angle.  How much better would our dline production be if we weren’t giving up the quick passes - if we added a corner, played a guy like SDH more and found a FS?

Again, I’m not arguing against drafting Chase, not at all.  I’m just questioning the argument and how much better the D will truly be with Young in the fold. That last part sounds like a knock on drafting Chase, but it’s more about the back 7 and defensive changes schematically.  Also, we need to seriously consider a replacement for Kerrigan and Chase should be that and more - another reason he’s a no-brainer pick for me (though a big offer to trade down would certainly bear looking into, IMO).  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Thing is, our top 4 accounted for 27 sacks, and that’s with 1) Kerrigan having a big time down year and 2) our 5th sack leader, Anderson, subbing in a lot for Sweat/Kerrigan.  Our sack total was 46 compared with the Niners 48.5.  

Let me start with how dare you rain on the Chase Young parade. 😀

My #1 thing with Chase or any pass rusher isn't just sacks but are they disruptive?    I haven't rewatched Sweat's games yet.  But I've watched Kerrigan and Anderson plenty over the years on coaches tape and they are good players but they aren't disruptive.  Ditto Preston back in the day.   It's rare to have a game where the broadcasters say wow Kerrigan can't be stopped today.  It's not what he does.  He doesn't command double teams often among other things. 

IMO its about having a dude that just freaks out the QB because all game long they are in their face.  Cooley talked about this once saying he likes Kerrigan but he doesn't scare QBs.  There is nothing that scares a QB and an O lineman more than a speed pass rusher who can take off almost at will and especially at 3rd and long.

Bill Polian once said about this D line.  There is a lot of power and good players but they are lacking that speed pass rusher who can tee off on third and long.  And he said on third and long it's much easier to adjust a protection scheme to block power than it is speed.   And yeah Sweat brings speed but he's still developing.  Chase IMO is more of a finished product as to hand usage/moves.  And I think they will both supplement each other well. 

@Skinsinparadise

In other words, we’re pretty comparable to the Niners right now from a pass rush standpoint- though I don’t have pressure numbers and that could be a world of difference.  

The 49ers D line kill us on PFF scores.  It's not even close.  As to how they deduced that, I am not sure.  But I'll get to exploring it.

@Skinsinparadise  But what if we essentially already took the step the author is talking about in adding Sweat?  No surprise Sweat started slower than Bosa did, but he came on toward the end of the year, so things project very well for our dline even without Young.  

I don't think it's a coincidence for example that Preston feasted better in GB than here.  People say it's about him dropping too much into coverage here.  Maybe.  But he dropped into coverage there too at times.  I think there is nothing that helps a pass rusher more than having another pass rusher coming from the opposite side who is a killer good.  GB had that.  One great pass rusher, helps the other.

I don't mean to pick on Kerrigan because I do think he's a good guy and a good player but he's not disruptive.  And if you want to talk about stopping the run, he wasn't good at that.  He and Orkapo weren't a killer duo because both were good but not disruptive where you got to realign your offense to deal with one of the dudes. 

@Skinsinparadise 

The bigger question I have is run defense.  Does it improve significantly organically with Del Rio’s scheme?  Is the answer here better linebacking play (vs Young’s addition)?  

In theory we should be good against the run.  Payne and Allen were good run defenders at Alabama.  Allen seemed to have an off year this year.  Holcomb isn't good in coverage but is good against the run. R. Foster coming back is great against the run.  Landon Collins is good against the run.   So not sure what we need that we don't have now on that front?  Maybe its scheme driven.

@Skinsinparadise That last part sounds like a knock on drafting Chase, but it’s more about the back 7 and defensive changes schematically.  

I don't think it's a coincidence that Ward and Sherman had career years or close enough last season.  Nothing helps a secondary more than a disruptive pass rush.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in on improving the secondary.  But it's a good FA market for that.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise Great post.  To change tact, and to your point, I think Chase brings that level of fear to a qb which causes them to throw earlier than they’d like.  He can change the way qbs might feel about shotgun or deeper drops where he can’t be ridden past them - especially as I see our dline becoming more disruptive (and they’re already disruptive) shooting gaps and not letting qbs step up.  He’ll also have an affect on qbs bailing out of the pocket.  

His addition can only help our coverage too.  With that said, I really, really hope we improve the back 7 coverage.  

• Like 2

I loved Skinsinparadise and skinny21 posts.  Your posts are very plausible foods for thought.  Personally, I hope they draft Chase Young, because nothing improves a defense more than an elite d-line.  I agree they have the potential to be a reincarnation of the 49ers front line if they take Young and that's a frightening thought.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I loved Skinsinparadise and skinny21 posts.  Your posts are very plausible foods for thought.  Personally, I hope they draft Chase Young, because nothing improves a defense more than an elite d-line.  I agree they have the potential to be a reincarnation of the 49ers front line if they take Young and that's a frightening thought.

I think they could be that without Young.

Young, obviously, makes it much more likely.

Just now, cakmoney61 said:

Would you rather they trade the pick or draft Chase Young?  I apologize if you have answered this in a previous post.

It's tough to pass on Young.

It's also tough to pass on Tua.

I listen to offers and if there isn't something absurd, given Tua's injury, I pull the trigger on Young and don't look back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's tough to pass on Young.

It's also tough to pass on Tua.

I listen to offers and if there isn't something absurd, given Tua's injury, I pull the trigger on Young and don't look back.

If the Redskins hadn't drafted Haskins last year and if Tua was 100% healthy, Tua would probably be my choice over Chase Young.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Great post.  

Thanks, I just reread it and it was loaded with typos.  I just edited it.  I had to run out, so I typed that post fast and it showed. 😀

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise  I think Chase brings that level of fear to a qb which causes them to throw earlier than they’d like.  He can change the way qbs might feel about shotgun or deeper drops where he can’t be ridden past them - especially as I see our dline becoming more disruptive (and they’re already disruptive) shooting gaps and not letting qbs step up.  He’ll also have an affect on qbs bailing out of the pocket.  

His addition can only help our coverage too.  With that said, I really, really hope we improve the back 7 coverage.  

I am with you on improving the back 7 coverage.  I want a corner and a FS.   As for Chase, I'd add that he'd also hurt offenses like Carolina who like to use their RBs on quick outs because at times they got to stay back to help block him

I've posted this clip before, its my fav, good luck trying to overcompensate your blocking scheme to account for Young.  It will help the D lineman and other edge rusher feast.  

young.png

50 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If the Redskins hadn't drafted Haskins last year and if Tua was 100% healthy, Tua would probably be my choice over Chase Young.

I love Young as a prospect.  But I'd say me too on that front.  Tua is special if he's healthy IMO.  And QB > Edge rusher. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, SoCalSkins said:

His resume is beyond impressive, his story is great, numbers are second to none and he seems like a good dude, but I dislike him. I can’t put my finger on why but I don’t like him. I hope Chase sacks him 5 times when we play the Bengals this year.

cause he looks like Macaulay Conklin?

• Haha 1

Arik Armstead

The 49ers are unlikely to allow Armstead, 26, and a former first-round pick to hit the open market. But, if Armstead happens to be available, the Giants should book him on the first flight from SFO to EWR.

Playing opposite Nick Bosa has certainly boosted Armstead, but he is coming off the most dominant season of his career with a career-high 10 sacks, 21 quarterback hits, 17 hurries and six knockdowns. Armstead is the type of disruptive force the Giants’ defense has been lacking in recent seasons.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-rumors-here-is-the-giants-biggest-offseason-need-top-free-agents-and-draft-picks-who-can-fill-it.html

Edited by Skinsinparadise