Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

28 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The 49ers pass rush is what has allowed a corner like Richard Sherman to fool people into thinking he is still a top corner in the NFL. 

I spent a few minutes earlier attempting to compare Sherman’s 2018 and Norman’s 2019. Obviously many variables are involved, but Norman’s situation with Rivera could be interesting. 

Sherman in 2018 played on one of the worst defensive units in the NFL, 0 interceptions, 38 tackles, and no pro bowl. 2019 Sherman: top defensive unit, 3 interceptions, 61 tackles and a pro bowl nod. 

Don’t really have a position on Norman, just an off season thought lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think they could be that without Young.

Young, obviously, makes it much more likely.

Yep, that’s pretty much my fear/concern.  And with it the idea that we might miss out on seriously improving other spots because we take Chase.  Assuming we could find a trading partner of course (unless we just went with Simmons/Okudah).  

That’s why replacing Kerrigan is a key for me - it makes me feel better about picking Chase for the long term benefits.  That, and the fact that Chase is so quick and able to line up all over and the subsequent problems that causes for teams running games.  

lthough the 49ers didn’t try to earn the second overall pick in the 2019 draft by going 4-12 in 2018, it happened naturally. And it allowed them to selected defensive end Nick Bosa. And Bosa has helped fuel the 49ers to the No. 1 seed and, as of Sunday, hosting the NFC Championship.

“Things have a way of working out,” quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo told reporters on Wednesday regarding his ACL tear that sparked San Francisco’s not-so-special season. “I always told myself it was a blessing in disguise, the ACL and everything, and yeah we got Bosa out of it. That’s a pretty good trade-off I guess. Things have a way of working out I guess. This ride is crazy. You’ve just got to roll with the punches.”

Coach Kyle Shanahan agreed with the idea that the injury to Jimmy G in 2018 helped lay the foundation for a special team in 2019, and likely beyond.

“It’s definitely helped,” Shanahan told reporters. “Everything happens for a reason, and you need to get good players in, some difference-makers, and Bosa has definitely been a difference-maker. I’m very glad we have him. I don’t wish 4-12 on anybody, but after going through it, it was nice what it brought us.”

Although Shanahan surely didn’t intend to make a commercial for tanking, San Francisco’s experience underscores how losing can become #winning. So the next time your favorite team naturally or artificially falls apart in a given season, take heart. By the next season, your favorite team could be on the brink of the Super Bowl.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:53 AM, LD0506 said:

Cincy takes Chase then we all cry over what might have been but you strongarm someone into a haul of picks for Burrow and roll on.

I like your analogy. We truly are in the cat bird seat with both players though. It’s a win if we draft Burrows, although I agree not by much. It’s a win if we draft Young, by a more significant improvement- although I think switching to the 4-3 will make Kerrigan more of a factor. And it’s a win if we trade down for hopefully a huge haul. I’m very excited for draft night. 

The Niners are showing the league that you don't need a QB focused roster to have a dominant team. This is the blueprint I hope RR follows. We have a good running game and a solid stable of backs. Get a TE and build the defense by drafting Chase and filling in the other holes in free agency. Then, lets see how good Haskins can be...If he turns out to be a great QB then we have gold Jerry......Gold!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have a good running game....

source.gif

I am not sold on our RBs, nor our OL.  Nor our shiny new OC, who may find life is tough without CMC, which coupled with a raw QB should lead to defenses attacking at the LOS far more than Jack promises to do.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:03 PM, -JB- said:

I disagree.  If the Bengals were to pass on Burrow & take Chase Young then the Redskins need to draft Burrow.  No questions asked.  You don’t trade down out of a chance to draft an elite franchise QB just because you have Dwayne Haskins (a guy who ran a combine 40 slower than Eli Manning at 5.04).  You’d be nuts not to draft Burrow and move on from Haskins.

I get what you're saying about drafting Burrow in this situation. (Although I wouldn't....I'm on the Chase Young side)

But the logic of running slower in the 40 really should have nothing to do with QB play.  So Manning is slow, big deal?  I'd take his 2 SB's.  Brady would like to have a word too.  No I am not comparing Haskins to these QB's just their "speed".  As many other "Slow" qb's....Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon etc etc.

Hell Jimmy Garoppolo is "slower" than Manning.  Point was made about taking a QB, the "argument" as to wh....y is just off.

Changes how offenses play...

And i like Kerrigan but no I don't think the current lineup with him coming off the edge can bring the same type of fear.  This defense has been historically bad on third down.   3rd and 11?  No problem.   We've seen offenses convert on 3rd and long on us for year now let alone 3rd and short. 

That will change IMO with Chase Young in the mix. 

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/15/the-washington-redskins-are-completely-helpless-when-it-comes-to-third-down/

The Washington Redskins are completely helpless when it comes to third down

When it comes to third down, Washington is even worse on defense. Through nine games, they rank dead-last in the league, allowing their opponent to convert on the down and distance 50 percent of the time. It’s no wonder they’ve found little success this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son is more of a basketball player. But was Chase's football teammate in little league (with Southern Maryland Eagles). He came home today and told me that he kept hearing the name Chase Young and it never clicked until today that they were talking about his old classmate at Clinton Christian. 

So I'm pulling out the old yearbook because he does look familiar. He also said they chop it up occasional online but it was always about music and other ****. Damn!

Btw, it is said that Chase Young is a eagles fan. I am speculating, but his playing most of his youth football for the Eagles might have something to do with it. Talk to my wife today about it and she says she knows his mom from some of the parent stuff we all had to grind through when or kids we're in school. 

Edited by joeken24
Add
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Things have a way of working out,’’ Garoppolo said with a smile. “I always told myself it was a blessing in disguise, the ACL [injury]. And we got Bosa out of it, so it was a pretty good trade-off, I would say. This ride is crazy. You’ve got to ride with the punches.’’

What if Garoppolo had not been injured?

“We don’t get [Bosa],’’ right tackle Mike McGlinchey said. “Thank God Arizona didn’t take him [with the No. 1-overall pick], because I’d be seeing him for a very, very long time [as an opponent].’’

How long did it take for McGlinchey to realize how special Bosa was when he first saw him practice?

“It took about a day,’’ he said. “The first day that he was full-go in training camp, I remember Joe [Staley, left tackle] and I having a conversation being like, ‘This is going to be a pain in our ass for as long as we’re going to have to do this in training camp.’

“He’s a stud.’’

...Before Bosa, the 49ers had 36 sacks in 2018. With Bosa, who had two sacks in last week’s divisional playoff win over the Vikings, the they produced 48 this season. Before Bosa, the 49ers forced a franchise-low seven turnovers in 2018. With Bosa, they forced 27.

“Bosa has definitely been a difference-maker,’’ coach Kyle Shanahan said. “I don’t wish 4-12 on anybody, but after going through it, it was nice what it brought us.”

Added McGlinchey: “If you look at it, 4-12 was a blessing in disguise for what it set us up to do in the future. Obviously, we’re going to try and avoid 4-12 seasons to get high draft picks from now on.’’

For as long as Bosa is on the team and healthy, 4-12 is not a likely result for the 49ers in any season.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/17/nick-bosa-is-blessing-born-out-of-49ers-misery/

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Folks seems pumped for Chase. As of now I was more pumped for Sweat but a few tubes may change that.

It seems like Bosa is a comparable (game changer) from reading here. I was surprised to hear the 9ers had the same number of sacks as us. We will be subtracting someone (presume Kerrigan) that contributed to our numbers last year. I presume they had many more knocks bats hurries etc but in the end think expectations for Chase may be tough to attain for him.

IMO setting expectations on DL is a total crapshoot until we see how they will be deployed. We brought in so many stud DTs back in the day and they never met expectations... based on our lame duck schemes. Basically did jack **** here. I am still in therapy.  Long time fans know all the names... Sean Gilbert, Big Daddy, Stubblefield, just to name a few.  FAT AL yes I went there.

Another huge factor dictating our expectations for Chase and his glorious sacks... Carlos Cushions, or press man. I don't discount line play and know we heavily neglected the DL during Dans glory years, but think we are jack stacked already and think our defensive coaches will have a larger impact, on improving our D and DL play, than Chase can provide alone.

Edited by RandyHolt

CBS Sports NFL writer Ryan Wilson told The Junks he can't see the Redskins making any other decision when presented with the opportunity to draft a player like young who is that  "special, special, special."

"Unless it's a quarterback, you take a game-changing defensive end even if it's not your No. 1 priority because those guys get out there and go after the other team's quarterback and are just incredibly disruptive and it makes your life a lot easier," Wilson said. "So, I think Chase Young is a slam dunk there. He is so special, 16.5 sacks and didn't even play in two games because of the silly suspension."

Young's production dipped in the last few games of the season, but Wilson notes that it is because he faced double and triple teams something Young won't see as often in the NFL.

"That's fine, but you have to pay for it if you're an NFL team trying to do that consistently because you can't do that in San Francisco, you can't double-team Nick Bosa and expect to get away with it with four other guys who can sack you with no problem," Wilson added.

But what if the Redskins consider taking a quarterback or make a trade to move down to acquire more draft picks at the risk of losing Young? 

For Washington, Young's talent makes that a risk that is likely too great to take: "I feel like he has a chance to Bosa brothers level or better at the next level, and if that's something that interests you, that's who you take," Wilson said.

Of course, handicapping what type of compensation package would have to be presented to the Redskins to get them to trade down is tough. 

Perhaps a top-10 pick in 2020, a second-round pick in 2020, a first-rounder in 2021, and a first-rounder in 2022 could be a good place for negotiations to start. 

https://thefandc.radio.com/should-redskins-set-draft-chase-young

• Like 1

Buckeyes loss to the Clemson Tigers in the semi-final ...

Chase Young, DE … 2 tackles, 1 QB hurry, 0 tackles for a loss, 0 sacks

Isaiah Simmons LB/S … 4 tackles, 1 INT

This season ...

Young 46 tackles, 16.7 sacks,

Simmons 104 tackles, 7 sacks, 4 INT

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Please explain how he "vanished".

2 tackles, 1 hurry, no sacks

The trade-up scenario is important to explain. The draft order has the Lions at No. 3, the Giants at No. 4, the Dolphins at No. 5, the Chargers at No. 6 and the Panthers at No. 7. The Giants aren't drafting a quarterback after using a top-10 pick on Daniel Jones last year, so why do teams need to jump them? To make sure no one else does.

Some are already speculating that Washington could make the second pick available as well, but from what I've heard, that won't happen. Young is the best pass-rushing prospect maybe in the last decade, and there's a need there.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871689-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-tua-tagovailoa-changes-the-2020-nfl-draft