Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Let's hope we see some of this from Young next year.

Also

Funny how Young put up similar rush/win rate numbers while being double and triple teamed against Clemson, but several ES experts claimed he was a no-show.

Cant wait until April.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Mr. Sinister we been beating on the same drum alongside @Skinsinparadise ... and sharing the same fear of him going to the giants. And to be honest...If the bengals pick him I wouldnt even be mad. Well maybe but it wouldnt be that bad. I just really hope that Bengals are legit sold on burrow. You remember back in the day when the first overall pick was picked before the draft like how sam Bradford was? It would be nice to know that the Bengals are picking burrow and we are getting young cause until we get him I'm still slightly nervous due to the fact that we are afterall.....still the redskins

• Like 5

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Marino

Reid

Crabbs

PROS: Lean, muscular build engineered for playing 4-3 defensive end. Powerful, physical and disciplined run defender. Sets firm edges and process the run very  well. Extremely comfortably stepping down, taking on pullers and squeezing gaps. Keeps working his hand fits throughout each rep to control blockers. Pass rushing skill set is elite. Fluid release out of his stance with rapid accelerating while generally anticipating the snap well. Works his feet and upper body to draw offensive tackles out of their pass sets, creating rush angles and favorable opportunities to attack the pocket. Quickly eats up turf with his stride, but also knows how to vary his steps to set up his rush plan. Impressive moments where he gets to half man when the blocker thinks he’s square. Has the flexibility needed to reduce his surface area and corner. Understands rush angles. Hand work and rush variety is incredible. Has no shortage of combos and he always has a plan. Each game is a showcase of that variety and he’s effective with dip/rip, chop/swim, long-arm stabs, club/rip, cross/chop, speed-to-power, lift and straight speed rush. Snatch and push/pull are also present. Fluid in coverage drops with a clear understanding of his landmarks and spacing. Effortless change of direction ability and he easily flows laterally towards the sideline. 

...Chase Young is a rare defensive prospect with an elite overall skill set. Projecting most favorably to a role at the next level as a 4-3 defensive end, Young is without limitations and any minor concerns about his projection to the next level are minor. Young profiles as an instant impact edge defender with the upside to become one the NFLs most prolific defensive playmakers. He’s polished, powerful, athletic and features every desirable physical trait needed to excel in the NFL. Young is a top of the first round talent in any draft. 

FINAL EVALUATION

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/chase-young/obFpJKd6Z1

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Young will make Sweat a better player. Between the two of them there's gonna need to be a name for them....we may as well start working on this now.

Please no to the naming bit.  

3 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

@Mr. Sinister we been beating on the same drum alongside @Skinsinparadise ... and sharing the same fear of him going to the giants. And to be honest...If the bengals pick him I wouldnt even be mad. Well maybe but it wouldnt be that bad. I just really hope that Bengals are legit sold on burrow. You remember back in the day when the first overall pick was picked before the draft like how sam Bradford was? It would be nice to know that the Bengals are picking burrow and we are getting young cause until we get him I'm still slightly nervous due to the fact that we are afterall.....still the redskins

I share your concern about the Giants getting Young.  Shouldn’t be a concern, but there’s still a chance.  And yeah, a part of me hopes the Bengals take Young - at a minimum we should be able to land two starting caliber picks/players in a trade back, hopefully (significantly) more.  

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Young will make Sweat a better player. Between the two of them there's gonna need to be a name for them....we may as well start working on this now.

Sweat finished strong imo. Started seeing him in the fray, mixing it up the last few games, batting down passes, collapsing the pocket, tackling runners in the backfield, etc. In the Dallas game before I turned, he was everywhere. That's when the Julius Peppers comp started to seem not so crazy. I remember back in the day, Peppers was so crazy athletic that he could bat a screen pass in the air, catch it like a Dennis Rodman rebound, and run it back for 6 like Walter Payton.

Before that he was like Where's Waldo. I believe the next scheme will be simpler, and allow the athletes to make plays within it (that's largely Del Rio's philosophy). Could be a monster year from him 🤞

14 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I think it's lock. I have no doubt we may hear things 6-4 weeks in about them welcoming offers and trying to start a bidding war to see if someone does something monumentally insane, but he's their guy. 

That's the type of guy that a new regime takes and plant their flag on a franchise.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The beauty of having Chase Young is that you can move him all over the place on the line.  He's going to put on more weight and will leave quite an impact hopefully, in B&G.

That's what the Eagles used to do with Reggie White, he would play anywhere on the line. Pick the weakest link and that dude draws Chase Young. Very hard to game plan against that.

Here's a thought, what if we signed a pass rushing LB in free agency too? We will have the cap space to make a run at someone.

Just some random thoughts here. Sweat physically reminds me of Jason Taylor. Very tall, and somewhat lanky. His closing speed is special and very unique for a player of his size. 

Chase Young won't run a 40 as fast but he uses his hands extremely well which is why I think he'll be good in the league. I think he'll put up very good numbers at the combine but he won't blow it away. He's kind of a long strider and looks slower than what he actually is because of it. Our DL should be absurd if both of these guys develop into 10+ sack guys. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

The beauty of having Chase Young is that you can move him all over the place on the line.  He's going to put on more weight and will leave quite an impact hopefully, in B&G.

Does he really need to put on more weight? 6'5 265 is a pretty good size. I wouldn't want him putting on weight if it might impact his speed and flexibility. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Does he really need to put on more weight? 6'5 265 is a pretty good size. I wouldn't want him putting on weight if it might impact his speed and flexibility. 

10 to 15 pounds will not effect his speed, I don't think.  It would help especially with him moving around on the line.  The kids only what 21 so with working out like he does, I think it would be a good thing.  

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

That's what the Eagles used to do with Reggie White, he would play anywhere on the line. Pick the weakest link and that dude draws Chase Young. Very hard to game plan against that.

Here's a thought, what if we signed a pass rushing LB in free agency too? We will have the cap space to make a run at someone.

Agreed. 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

.  And yeah, a part of me hopes the Bengals take Young - at a minimum we should be able to land two starting caliber picks/players in a trade back, hopefully (significantly) more.  

Take that part out of you, put it in a box and send it to Elon Musk so he can jettison it on the way to mars. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He doesn’t need to move inside. We have Ioannidis and Allen and Payne on the inside. Let him flip flop with Sweat, maybe rush from OLB lines up next to Sweat, run stunts and twists to the inside. I wouldn’t have him gain any weight. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. I cant imagine how many false starts is cause by having Sweat with a young behind him.  That LT would be so dang scared. Just move Young around and create havoc. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Take that part out of you, put it in a box and send it to Elon Musk so he can jettison it on the way to mars. 

Ha!  Yeah, I hear you.  To be fair, I thought I was posting in the ‘What if the Bengals take Young’ thread.  

I do think expectations are getting a bit high though. 

• Like 1

I think the name of this thread needs to be changed.  Talking like this is a done deal is extremely bad form.  Maybe just add "Hopefully" to the title.  With the Bungles ahead of us and the continually rising opinions of Chase Young anything is possible.  All is takes is one team to believe that Young is such a generational pass rusher that they need to do whatever they can to get him.  The Bengals have many holes (I understand QB is one of them) that if someone waves enough at them they might jump.   I don't expect this; I think Burrows looks great Monday and the Bengals take him.  But you never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evmiii said:

I think the name of this thread needs to be changed.  Talking like this is a done deal is extremely bad form.  Maybe just add "Hopefully" to the title.  With the Bungles ahead of us and the continually rising opinions of Chase Young anything is possible.  All is takes is one team to believe that Young is such a generational pass rusher that they need to do whatever they can to get him.  The Bengals have many holes (I understand QB is one of them) that if someone waves enough at them they might jump.   I don't expect this; I think Burrows looks great Monday and the Bengals take him.  But you never know.

Then Redskins grab Burrow or trade the 2nd overall for a mountain of picks.  It's win win.

• Like 2

There is NO good reason we cannot produce like the Bosa led 9ers?

How about our defensive coordinator decides it's best not to attack the QB for vast majorities of games.  Like pretty much all our DCs have done for the past 2 decades. Our offense sucks, so we play bend don't break to milk the clock and keep scoring down.

We all saw it again this year. Sweat dominated everyone in camp. When the games start - the passive D switch was flipped, and he was largely invisible for most of the year. This is nothing new. Preston Smith is suddenly a total stud? No, he was a probably a stud all along, and we just refused to use him to his strengths.

I refuse to believe because we hired 2 LBs as coaches they will unleash a full assault on QBs, until I see it consistently happening. I am cautiously optimistic but I think history shows our offense will be dictating our play on defense, more than the DC will.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We all saw it again this year. Sweat dominated everyone in camp. When the games start - the passive D switch was flipped, and he was largely invisible for most of the year. This is nothing new. Preston Smith is suddenly a total stud? No, he was a probably a stud all along, and we just refused to use him to his strengths.

Preston Smith is the same player there as he was here. A good DE who isn't worth huge money but is worth quite a bit when used to his strengths. Smith benefits from Smith (and yes, I didn't use initials because they benefit from each other being there) and scheme in Green Bay. Preston only moderately lived to his potential here because of scheme.

I'm in agreement.

I think Sweat is much better than a lot of people here did. I was with him all season because he got smarter and made better decisions as the year progressed. I also saw how lost he was in coverage and how that is 100% not using him the proper way.

The dude is like Preston Smith in he's got an enormous wing span. Even if he's not sacking the QB he needs to be rushing. He'd knock down more passes, provide more pressures and sacks. Hand in the dirt is his strength. 

This team doesn't NEED Chase Young. Chase Young will help the rush, but the pass rushers here will be better next season simply because their hands are in the dirt.

The question then becomes how good can they be and how much will Del Rio attack. 

To me, that answer lies in who our linebackers are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2