Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yup. End all be all, period.

Except for top 5 QB Deshaun Watson who saw his team win 4 games. 

If you want to saddle teams with a coach/gm who can do neither, that will happens as he trades away top 5 WR's for 40th/below ranked, washed RB's and the like. 

You can tell me any decade, and most years, and I can give out outliers where the F.O. has basically ruined them. Usually their tier 2 guys, but still.

Stafford and Detroit, Atlanta and Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer and Cincy, Philip Rivers and San Diego even the Cowboys with Dak. It happens, but generally it's either bad luck, or totally incompetent front offices that manage to waste franchise QB's as Houston has done with Watson. Give them a terrible coach (Nearly all of Rivers coaches were trash), add in a GM screwing things up, and you can fumble away a franchise guy no problem. It's not a panacea, it's not gonna change that we have the worst owner in sports, but it is the only chance we have. 

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

For sure, the problem is finding the franchise QB as you know. Maybe we already have the guy? Doubtful,  but who knows. Here's a question for you, do you think Baltimore thinks they have found their QB that will take them to and win the SB? He's an interesting case. Finding the right guy is so difficult....all of us want the franchise, HOF QB....the problem is how do you find one. 

Coaching is where it starts for me and I'm confident in RR, less confident in Turner. The greatest coaches have taken their QB's far.....Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Belichek, etc....these guys identified the right QB's for their systems and won with their guys. Brady, Rypien, Theismann, Montana, Young.....Even Bill Parcells built a system that won wlth QB's like Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler. I'm confident that RR can take us far, if not all the way, by building this roster and finding the right QB for this team and I don't think it has to be a future hall of famer. Just my opinion. 

I think Baltimore thinks they have their guy, and they may be right. I'm not convinced. To me a QB's first job is to hit what he is throwing at and come up big in the biggest games. So there's that.

As for your other point most teams don't have Hall of Fame coaches, they need to get a franchise QB.  Oh and this is not 1990, the QB is much much more important now than when Jeff Hostetler played. 

31 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I gotta say, if Carolina is looking for a new QB, i'll gladly take Bridgewater off their hands.

Why are the Panthers looking to move from him after just one year?

If we are talking Panther QB's there is one never mentioned, @volsmet's buy Grier lol.

Where the heck is V. He's normally heavily into the draft thread this time of the year

Dak is the key get for us in my opinion. I don’t love his cap cost. But he instantly brings something to the table and he’s going to want to dominate the division. 

I prefer drafting a guy. But if that doesn’t look realistic getting Dak would be a real W.

Just going to be so difficult for him to get away from Dallas. They can tag him and then we’re essentially out. 

• Like 1

Next year, maybe we can sign Tom Brady.

A lot of WFT fans are Brady haters. I bet they'd stop being Brady haters if we sign him.

Same way I'm sure all the Tampa fans who were Brady haters prior to 2020, stopped being Brady haters in 2020.

And if Brady leads us to the Super Bowl after signing a FA contract with us, lifts a Lombardi in burgundy and gold, I bet none of the WFT fans will say "I'm tired of hearing about Tom Brady !" anymore

😀

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Dak is the key get for us in my opinion. I don’t love his cap cost. But he instantly brings something to the table and he’s going to want to dominate the division. 

I prefer drafting a guy. But if that doesn’t look realistic getting Dak would be a real W.

Just going to be so difficult for him to get away from Dallas. They can tag him and then we’re essentially out. 

Re Dak. I’d definitely sign him if he was available. I can’t see them letting him walk w/o compensation. At minimum I’d think they franchise then try to move him for picks or even making a run a Watson, using him as a piece. Our Avenues aren’t great to get it done this year, looks like. Wonder how they feel about the draft guys, w/ the focus on a Vet up till now. 

19 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Aren’t you tired of mid level/below average QBs

I don’t think he’s either. I think he’s a pretty good QB that had little talent in Carolina. Outside of Robby Anderson his weapons are meh. I don’t care what people say about Samuel or Moore.

If I'm reading between the lines, Dak is gone, Dallas doesn't even include him in the promotional video. What a sorry franchise, we need to jump all over this. Pimping Jaylon Smith's sorry ass to the fans over Dak is such an awful look. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just saw Dak started following The Football Teams Instagram. Hum???

• Like 1

I think WFT could sign Dalton for between 4-6 million, as an adequate placeholder QB.  I'm not certain how durable Smith, Allen or Heinicke are, but Dalton was at least somewhat durable.  If Smith retires, Washington could pursue more expensive QBs.

From what I saw, Dalton could probably fit into Turner's offense -- essentially as a game manager, while Washington tries to find its franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I think WFT could sign Dalton for between 4-6 million, as an adequate placeholder QB.  I'm not certain how durable Smith, Allen or Heinicke are, but Dalton was at least somewhat durable.  If Smith retires, Washington could pursue more expensive QBs.

From what I saw, Dalton could probably fit into Turner's offense -- essentially as a game manager, while Washington tries to find its franchise QB.

I just don't see the point in that. I don't think there is much discernible difference between Dalton and Allen/Heinecke. If we're not gonna get a game changer like Watson I'd rather just take my chances with those two and maybe draft a guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't see the point in that. I don't think there is much discernible difference between Dalton and Allen/Heinecke. If we're not gonna get a game changer like Watson I'd rather just take my chances with those two and maybe draft a guy.

It's more about having someone who is adequate but also available.  I'm not certain Washington can rely on getting 10 games out of Smith/Allen/Heinicke combined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

In 3-4 years his contract will probably not even be top 5 in the NFL. 

And if Dallas is forced to let him go like we did with Kirk, we do not give up players and picks for him.

He is better than most chumps discussed in this thread

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Why are the Panthers looking to move from him after just one year?

If we are talking Panther QB's there is one never mentioned, @volsmet's buy Grier lol.

Where the heck is V. He's normally heavily into the draft thread this time of the year

I was a huge fan of Grier in that draft thread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

And if Dallas is forced to let him go like we did with Kirk, we do not give up players and picks for him.

He is better than most chumps discussed in this thread

I agree. It seems like it's a lot like the Kirk Cousins situation, I think it goes deeper than money with Dak honestly. I think there's some relationship damage there that the media hasn't picked up on. 

Us not having to give up draft capital to obtain him would really help us further build the team. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Next year, maybe we can sign Tom Brady.

A lot of WFT fans are Brady haters. I bet they'd stop being Brady haters if we sign him.

Same way I'm sure all the Tampa fans who were Brady haters prior to 2020, stopped being Brady haters in 2020.

And if Brady leads us to the Super Bowl after signing a FA contract with us, lifts a Lombardi in burgundy and gold, I bet none of the WFT fans will say "I'm tired of hearing about Tom Brady !" anymore

😀

well, I wouldn't.  I wouldn't change teams I root for, but I would not watch football when he was on the team

I am all for going the Dak route. Acknowledging that it eats away at much of the cap, I'd want to trade Allen for a Day 2 pick to clear up a bit more room. I'd also trade out of the first and get more Day 2 picks this year and next year in order to acquire cheap talent.

I believe trading J. Allen nets at least a 3rd and you can get a couple more 3rd round picks trading out of 19 to the 2nd round. 

If we landed 2 2nds and 5 3rds, you have a ton of ammo to add receivers, linemen, TEs and LBs in what is shaping up to be a deep draft at all those positions. Assuming, you could trade 2 of those 3rds for another 2nd, you could potentially walk away with Radunsz, a receiver, Freiermuth, C. Surratt, a CB/S and another guy