Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I shouldn't have to worry about us picking up Wilson.

The folks that would either are gone or will be soon.

We should be safe...*pats shotgun just in case

Not saying you have to or should jump on it, but now might be the perfect time to grab Wilson. His value's probably dropped significantly, and he might be more open to embracing that dual-threat QB style again. Only reason you'd want him as your main guy is if he's all in on rushing for 600 yards in a season. That's the kind of play that brings the flow and rhythm needed to compete with the other QBs ranked around 6-20 or so.

Most likely he’s cooked though. Can’t imagine he gets anything more than $10-15mil—fascinated to see what he gets if released in the open market, might be less than that even. 

Wilson has had a fairly good year this year. If we were to win a game or 2 and drop out of the range of the top 3 qbs, I wouldn't mind getting him as long as he was willing to take less than 7 mil a year. If McCarthy came out I'd probably be willing to trade back in the first for him.

Sign Wilson on the cheap if he'd take less than 7 and draft penix or nix in round 2. Let them sit for 2 years.

Use the first rounder for bowers or nabers and the rest of the picks and cap on o line.

In this scenario you could become a wildcard contender while setting yourself up for the future at the same time.

Wilson wanting anymore than 7-8 million would make it not worth it though. You wouldn't have the cap room to sure up the d enough.

• Haha 1

I'd be surprised if they opt for Wilson. As long as they secure a top 5 pick, they'll have the chance to inject a significant amount of excitement into the fan base by bringing in a fresh, young QB, alongside an entirely new front office and coaching staff.

25 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Wilson has had a fairly good year this year. If we were to win a game or 2 and drop out of the range of the top 3 qbs, I wouldn't mind getting him as long as he was willing to take less than 7 mil a year. If McCarthy came out I'd probably be willing to trade back in the first for him.

Sign Wilson on the cheap if he'd take less than 7 and draft penix or nix in round 2. Let them sit for 2 years.

Use the first rounder for bowers or nabers and the rest of the picks and cap on o line.

In this scenario you could become a wildcard contender while setting yourself up for the future at the same time.

Wilson wanting anymore than 7-8 million would make it not worth it though. You wouldn't have the cap room to sure up the d enough.

Any team I believe can sign Wilson for vet minimum,  he doesn't need to ask his new team for anything more. The Broncos will still have to pay him whatever multi millions he's owed from them. 

26 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Not a bad scenario, even if we don’t win another game. I’ll support the new GM and coaching staff. If they don’t love one of the QBs, don’t force it. 

That said, I think we should take a QB with our first rounder.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Russell Wilson for $7-$15M per, ya’ll are smoking rock.

Vet minimum buddy, Broncos owe him the rest of his deal, if someone pays him say 20m it comes off what the Broncos owe him I believe,  so why would he help them out when there getting rid of him.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Russell Wilson for $7-$15M per, ya’ll are smoking rock.

Please correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe he still will be paid by Denver his guaranteed money still owed, even if he’s cut. 

Anything he signs for would be deducted from what they owe, so he can sign for as little as he wants and depending on how it’s structured would still get 10 mil from Denver. Remember, he signed an extension and he gets all the guarantees even if cut.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/russell-wilson-9885/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Any team I believe can sign Wilson for vet minimum,  he doesn't need to ask his new team for anything more. The Broncos will still have to pay him whatever multi millions he's owed from them. 

Yes but there will be a market for him though. I doubt anyone would get him for vet minimum. Maybe the raiders so he can play the broncos more often

Word on the street is Wilson's a douche.

If its anything like McNabb thinking he was too good for a wrist strap, we should know better by now.

Seattle proved to be a franchise that can properly gage when a star QB indeed is done and take the risk of moving on and still being competitive.  This is what Andy Reid specificly schooled us on twice with two different franchises.

• Like 1

• Renegade7 changed the title to Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Changed title since this seems to be an annual question now...

Going into 2024 I'm in on Caleb Williams and trading up to get him if we're that close and he really is from round here.

It's what what Haskins was supposed to be, but #1 overall should be way better.

In OP I didn't trust our ability to develop a QB.

I still don't.

But if we this close to the best prospect who may carry our sorry ass and look good doing it, we won't have to as much.  Have to give benefit of thr doubt Harris won't put people in this guy's path that will jus contradict the other person like Snyder used to.

Thered also no one I'm in the mood for trading that pick for except Herbert, but I'm watching his injury and how Chargers handle their cap given they can't keep all the players they want to.  That's a mess they might want someone to bail then out of and take Mayne or something.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Word on the street is Wilson's a douche.

If its anything like McNabb thinking he was too good for a wrist strap, we should know better by now.

He’s corny for sure.

But I’ve watched him embrace the wristband and get himself in great shape to enter this season.  When they had that winning streak, his teammates seemingly had his back.

I think you can do much worse if looking at vet QB’s.  He’s been Payton’s scapegoat and punching bag.

Obviously I prefer we go young, but I could see him being just what the doctor ordered in a place like Cleveland- if there’s a contractual way to do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Obviously I prefer we go young, but I could see him being just what the doctor ordered in a place like Cleveland- if there’s a contractual way to do so.

What an awkward situation that would be for Cleveland and Watson...only way Wilson stays is chance to start...jus a playoff run, when's the last time that happened?

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What an awkward situation that would be for Cleveland and Watson...only way Wilson stays is chance to start...jus a playoff run, when's the last time that happened?

Watson feels like addition by subtraction, pay him to stay away from the facility.  🤣

Easily the worst contract ever written in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Watson feels like addition by subtraction, pay him to stay away from the facility.  🤣

Easily the worst contract ever written in the NFL.

Someone needs to intervene in their behalf then so we get our Browns Lion super bowl and question everything...

8 hours ago, mac8887 said:

It kind of reeks like a lose-lose plan. Wilson hasn't played on a team with a winning record since 2020. That's kind of important for measuring QBs. Three years of sub-.500 records suggests Wilson really isn't that good anymore, even if his surface stats are passable. I mean Carson Wentz's surface stats were passable too. You toss in the fact Seattle became a playoff team once it got rid of Wilson (with career back-ups no less) and his current team is literally running him out of town at extreme cost can't be good signs. Oh, and he'll be 36 next year. I don't think he's suddenly going to improve. If anything, he probably gets worse like most QBs his age (basically anyone that wasn't Tom Brady or maybe Drew Brees or Peyton Manning). So you're probably not going to get much out of Wilson next year.

And then there's the draft. The idea of sitting any prospect for two years is basically unheard of in today's NFL. The only reason it might happen is if you play behind a stud QB, like Love was behind Aaron Rodgers winning his MVPs. I think the jury is still very much out on Love, but at least he has a first round pedigree. The idea of drafting and developing any second round pick into a legit NFL starter is a real low probability plan. It has happened and could technically happen again. But you're far more like to end up with another Drew Lock or DeShone Kizer or Christian Hackenberg or even Jimmy Garoppolo then say Jalen Hurts. Heck, even Derek Carr, who has been wildly successful for a second round QB, would be a fairly middling outcome for a QB overall. He's been anywhere from below average to maybe slightly above average in any given year. Not the worst outcome, but also fairly underwhelming to maybe fight for .500 every year if things go well. And that's one of the best cases outcomes with this plan. Carr led teams have finished with any over .500 record in 2 of 10 seasons (counting this year's 7-8 squad to date). That's not ALL on Carr, but a difference making QB would surely finishing with a winning record more than 20 percent of the time.

Just seems like making moves to say you made moves. Neither are likely to actually do anything in the end and be any sort of real solution.

• Like 2

I think ATL is the best fit for Wilson if they keep Smith around as the HC. They have been rumored to be the top contender to trade for Fields but, if you are them, why not get Wilson for the minimum and save the draft assets and cap $ (you are probably extending Fields immediately if you trade for him). Next year is also a win now year for Smith if he does stick around - easier bet with a longtime vet like Wilson.

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We are drafting a qb. Whether it’s one of top 3-4 qbs to be the starter or someone later in the draft to compete with Sam for the job.

We are team likely  to embark on a total rebuild and it’s better to go with a young  qb and that cheap contract.

Waiting until later in the draft to challenge Howell would be a missed opportunity if Washington secures a top 3-4 pick. Drafting a talented player with elite traits could be the key to pushing for the playoffs next year and working to build a contender. As I always mention, an elite dual-threat QB tends to offer the quickest and safest path to early success. That's why I'm intrigued by Daniels, but it's crucial that he also possesses outstanding intangible qualities.

Hortiz

Macdonald 

Roman

+
Daniels 

= 11 win season year 1

23 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Waiting until later in the draft to challenge Howell would be a missed opportunity if Washington secures a top 3-4 pick. Drafting a talented player with elite traits could be the key to pushing for the playoffs next year and working to build a contender. As I always mention, an elite dual-threat QB tends to offer the quickest and safest path to early success. That's why I'm intrigued by Daniels, but it's crucial that he also possesses outstanding intangible qualities.

Hortiz

Macdonald 

Roman

+
Daniels 

= 11 win season year 1

If we have a top 5 spot, we are drafting a qb.

If we are drafting 6-10, probably oline or trade down get a qb in later rounds.

I don’t think we will try trading up to get a qb at #1 or #2. Don’t think we want to give up to much assets to do that; especially if we are drafting 6-10. Of course that’s my speculation since we have no idea who will be running things.

• Like 1