Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

On 6/21/2021 at 5:56 AM, mistertim said:

As @Warhead36said, because they'd just spent a top 5 pick on a QB and wanted to get him in there, but since Fitz was better they started with him and let Tua learn at first.

As fa as elevating his game, he's had QBRs of 68.3 and 76.9 over the last couple of seasons which is very good. He's looked more accurate. I'm not the only one who's remarked on it.

I don't think anyone is confusing him with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but the team clearly thought he was the best option since they said he was their top FA target. After not being able to trade for Stafford he was the guy River and company wanted. They've said as much.

As far as his personality, it seems he's already developed a lot of rapport with his teammates and they do really like him, and that matters. Whether we think he's cool or funny isn't really as important.

But you already seem convinced that he'll fail, so I guess there's probably not all that much of a pointing debating a lot with you on it.

It will be nice to be wrong in this case.

• 4 weeks later...

Rodgers isn't coming here. He doesn't have a no-trade clause so he doesn't have any official say in where he goes. I find it very unlikely that GB would deal him to another NFC team. Especially one that has a potentially dominant defense and plenty of weapons on offense. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Rodgers isn't coming here. He doesn't have a no-trade clause so he doesn't have any official say in where he goes. I find it very unlikely that GB would deal him to another NFC team. Especially one that has a potentially dominant defense and plenty of weapons on offense. 

Doesn’t really matter, but this point is overrated. Packers will deal him to team with the best offer. 

Same division is a different story. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Doesn’t really matter, but this point is overrated. Packers will deal him to team with the best offer. 

Same division is a different story. 

I think if they have the same offer from 2 teams with 1 in the AFC and 1 in the NFC, they're going to deal them to the AFC team. I doubt they want him in their conference, especially given the dearth of elite QBs in the NFC when compared to the AFC.

But even if we pretend like it doesn't matter, there's no way we win any bidding war unless we start throwing out 4 1st round picks or something. Tons of teams have better picks and more picks to give to GB for him. If they were ok with dealing him to the NFC then the Eagles and Giants would be way more likely to get him since they could both offer 2 1st round picks this coming draft. We can't compete with that.

Rodgers isn't coming here. 

18 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Rodgers used the word, “culture” to explain why he didn’t want to return to Green Bay. Could be a good fit here!

Not sure if it is more of culture or his feelings got hurt. Not a good fit here either then. 

Rodgers, 37, has said one of his issues with the team is that general manager Brian Gutekunst failed to give him advance notice that the team would trade up to draft quarterback Jordan Love in 2020.

59 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

**** him. If he wants to pick the players; become a Gm.

I don't think he wants to pick players specifically, he just doesn't want them using their first 3 picks on a QB, RB, TE when they just came off an NFC Championship appearance and needed defensive help badly especially in a win now mode and you already have aaron jones and rodgers.  I'd be pissed too.

10 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

I don't think he wants to pick players specifically, he just doesn't want them using their first 3 picks on a QB, RB, TE when they just came off an NFC Championship appearance and needed defensive help badly especially in a win now mode and you already have aaron jones and rodgers.  I'd be pissed too.

The coach cost them a trip to the Super Bowl last year.

From what I've read Rodgers is a notoriously finicky guy and a bit of a diva. He also apparently gets grudges easily and is quite adept at hold on to them long term. I'd love to have his talent on the team but I'm not sure it's worth 3-4 1st round picks plus the headache of trying to manage his ups and downs. Amazing player, absolute assassin on the field, but off the field is a pain in the ass.

I still don't think it matters because even if GB were ok with trading him within the NFC, there are plenty of other teams who have better draft capital than us.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I knew you would get a laugh out of that. How wrong I have been bro. It makes me realize not to be so serious all of the time. 

Facts.

I stand by my take on not taking a Rookie QB in 2021 for reasons stated in OP.

But even though not much is change and somehow we are worse then in 2021, I've changed my mind going into 2024.

If there's one thing i learned is there's no compromise I regards to picking a QB to build around when starting a rebuild...unless you already have a QB you have to take one to avoid the mess of putting our marbles into someone like Howell four years into a rebuild in the first place.

If you get the QB right, odds are you get the rebuild right, with nearly 100 million in cap space, there's no excuse not to invest in oline around whoever the QB is.

But any rebuild of a team without a QB that doesn't start with addressing that is doomed to fail.  Trade up for Williams if you have to and don't look back.

• Like 1

• Renegade7 changed the title to Rookie QB or Veteran QB for 2021??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)
26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Facts.

I stand by my take on not taking a Rookie QB in 2021 for reasons stated in OP.

But even though not much is change and somehow we are worse then in 2021, I've changed my mind going into 2024.

If there's one thing i learned is there's no compromise I regards to picking a QB to build around when starting a rebuild...unless you already have a QB you have to take one to avoid the mess of putting our marbles into someone like Howell four years into a rebuild in the first place.

If you get the QB right, odds are you get the rebuild right, with nearly 100 million in cap space, there's no excuse not to invest in oline around whoever the QB is.

But any rebuild of a team without a QB that doesn't start with addressing that is doomed to fail.  Trade up for Williams if you have to and don't look back.

QB is huge but your GM has to be a good hire too.  Look at how we have suffered since Beathard.  HC too for that matter.  Good GM and he picks a good HC and let them work together as BB and JG did, you are going to win and build a dynasty.  If Harris models this team after the Ravens as we have read and it's true, let's start with a Hortiz/MacDonald combo from them and roll!  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

QB is huge but your GM has to be a good hire too.  Look at how we have suffered since Beathard.  HC too for that matter.  Good GM and he picks a good HC and let them work together as BB and JG did, you are going to win and build a dynasty.  If Harris models this team after the Ravens as we have read and it's true, let's start with a Hortiz/MacDonald combo from them and roll!  

I agree...a good GM picks a good coach and should be on same page with the QB they start their rebuild with.

Anything else is asking for trouble.

Edit: I'm not against Detroits Assist GM and OC coming here.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree...a good GM picks a good coach and should be on same page with the QB they start their rebuild with.

Anything else is asking for trouble.

Edit: I'm not against Detroits Assist GM and OC coming here.

Agnew is good but I really would like someone from the Ozzie Newsome F.O. tree.  I am a HUGE fan of Joe Hortiz, if they can land him. 👍

• Like 1