Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The fan is in a great spot, both stories are easy to root for. Fan value is immense with either guy. 

As for the injury stuff, I imagine it being difficult to scale back your essence as a player to avoid injury. It seems Taylor moves a lot like Russel Wilson and his innate running skills should help prevent major hits. I haven’t watched how he got injured in the past NFL games or any college running highlights though. 

Ive always discussed the need to have a metric or rating for the dual threat QB that rates his ability to avoid hits. For example, you could tell Jackson would have the ability to avoid significant hits, due to his ability/skill to avoid big hits. 

It's a tough one because you always want your guys to give 100% on every play, but the QB position is so critical there are times when they have to think about the long term rather than the current play. A QB taking a risky dive for a TD in the second half of a playoff game with the scores close is fine IMO. Doing the same thing to get first down in the first quarter of an early season game is not.

With Taylor I feel the coaches are more concerned about the accumulation of hits over the course of a season, rather than him picking up an injury on a single risky play. He's smart enough to realise he has a real chance, and the coaches are looking at his durability, so he should exercise a little more self-preservation. Everyone knows he will put his body on the line for the team, he doesn't need to demonstrate that again until he absolutely has to. What he has to show is can he last a season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

The fan is in a great spot, both stories are easy to root for. Fan value is immense with either guy. 

As for the injury stuff, I imagine it being difficult to scale back your essence as a player to avoid injury. It seems Taylor moves a lot like Russel Wilson and his innate running skills should help prevent major hits. I haven’t watched how he got injured in the past NFL games or any college running highlights though. 

Ive always discussed the need to have a metric or rating for the dual threat QB that rates his ability to avoid hits. For example, you could tell Jackson would have the ability to avoid significant hits, due to his ability/skill to avoid big hits. 

lol, I should have reread my post (the one you quoted) and edited it for grammer mistakes.  Also the two words that I had in caps -- that was totally unintentional on my end.   I just fixed some of it. 

I agree both QBs are fan favorite types.    

Reading about Heinicke and listening to some of his interviews, he comes off like a different cat than Fitz.   Heinicke supposedly is a quiet dude in the locker room and more of an introvert.  But he's likeable. Fitz on the other hand from what I've heard is a chatter box and is big time extroverted.  Judging by their interviews they both have some personality to them and come off smart and interesting.   

They do have some things in common as QBs.    They both throw with anticipation.  They will both take chances.    They will both risk their bodies to make plays.  And when they are on a roll their style of play seems to inspire their teammates.   Fitz arguably has a stronger arm.  Heinicke with better mobility.  Both might throw too many picks considering their styles with Fitz having the longer track record of concern on that front.  Both are aggressive and play with oomph.   Fitz is more demonstrative personality wise on the field. 

As for injuries, I'd shrug that concern off if I didn't hear from the reporters who cover the team in the off season say that their sources in the building told them that injuries are indeed the concern of the coaching staff.  And then I add to the pile that Zampese flat out said that point publicly.    This coaching staff is the one who knows Heinicke best.  Turner worked with him via three different teams and Rivera with two.   I think with Heinicke the concern might be more about his frame then just his style of play.  Russell Wilson is short like Heinicke but he's a stocky looking dude.  Having said that I haven't seen the new 15 pound heavier Heinicke so maybe that will help put that to rest?  Will see.

I don't get too attached to players normally.  I'll have my favorites but I feel that every player is depensible at some point.  Usually if I do get wrapped up in a player as to whether he stays or goes or starts or not -- its driven by a narrative that has impact beyond that player.  For example, Bruce Allen or Mike Shanahan's role and whether I trust their judgment or whomever.  Right now, I do trust Ron and his team so whatever goes -- goes.   I don't care if its Heinicke, Fitzpatrick or even Kyle Allen that emerges from the pack.  I just want someone to emerge.   

My gut is Fitzpatrick ends up the starter but Heinicke might have a chance to impress during the season.  It's a big camp for Heinicke.  I've seen enough of two summer camps where I can tell why some coaches find those practices meaningful.  For example, I recall the narrative years back that Colt McCoy supposedly improved his arm strength and was a different guy.  The WP did a whole story on it.   But in camp, when I watched Colt throw back to back with Kirk and Sudfeld on throw after throw after throw.  It was super easy to see that Colt still had a noodle arm in comparison.

Also I saw Haskins' first camp.  I tried to paint a good face on what I saw but I did mention some of the things I didn't like.  And the thing that was really striking about Haskins was how his accuracy was really sketchy.  And it was very noticeable because in camp they make the same throws repeatedly in a short span of time so you can see the QB's accuracy very easily and their strengths and weaknesses on that front  Also you can see the other QBs make the exact same throws, too.   Keenum and Colt in that camp looked much sharper as for their accuracy.    People can blame it on knowing or not knowing the system but it had nothing to do with most of those throws.  The QBs were often just playing pitch and catch.   Where you can see whether they know the system is when they do the offensive-defensive head to heads.  But most of the practices weren't about the head to head.  It was each position group practicing with each other.    

I have good feeling about both Fitz and Heinicke and its very tempting for me to go to camp to watch them both. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I don't know exactly where to put this, but I posted during mini-camp that there was an Instagram video of Heineke and Fitzy throwing out-routes at exactly the same time in a drill.  Fitz was throwing the out to the left, Taylor to the right.  I believe both were standing on their respective hash marks.  And you could SEE that the ball from Fitz got there faster, had less arch on the ball.  Taylor's was also very accurate, but had a lot more loft, and took an extra beat to get in there.

Then I heard on some podcast, one of the beat reporters just matter-of-factly say Taylor had by far the weakest arm of the three QBs. I listen to a lot of podcasts, so I'm not sure which one, but I think it might have been Michael Phillips who said it, and I think it was to Ben Standig.  But I wouldn't bet on that.  

The other thing that I noticed when Kyle Allen was playing last year is that even he didn't have a real NFL arm.  It was ok, but balls hung in the air.  I noticed it specifically in the Giants game, where the guy was open, and the ball just took forever to get there.  He completed a lot of passes, but it was obvious. If Taylor's arm is even weaker than that, that could turn into a real problem. 

I get that you don't need a cannon to be an effective NFL QB.  But you've got to have some type of arm talent.  Or else, eventually, the defenses will know what you can/cannot do, what routes to sit on, and start to squeeze the field.  

I like Taylor, and I want him to get a shot.  But if the reports on arm strength are somewhat true, then he has a real ceiling. There's only so much being "super smart" and having moxy and being a competitor can take you.  If you really can't make all the throws, that's very limiting.  Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

That said, Rich Gannon QBed and Peyton Manning QBed teams to the Superbowl when they probably couldn't throw a ball through pane of glass.  So you don't HAVE to have the arm strength.  That year the Raiders got to the SB, Gannon threw for something like 5,000 yards, all in 7 yard chunks.  

• Like 5

Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the starter day one unless something happens. He wasn't brought in to sit on the bench and Heinicke and/or Allen need to develop within this system a bit more before they can challenge for the reigns. I'm sure either would be fine in a spot start or if they have to due to injury. I like both of them. But Fitzpatrick is just better right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the starter day one unless something happens. He wasn't brought in to sit on the bench and Heinicke and/or Allen need to develop within this system a bit more before they can challenge for the reigns. I'm sure either would be fine in a spot start or if they have to due to injury. I like both of them. But Fitzpatrick is just better right now. 

Listening to those who cover the team, what you say is pretty much the vibe they give to a tee. 

Supposedly Fitzpatrick is already beloved in that locker room.  

• Like 1

Some fresh material via Standig on this.  This is also consistent which is Fitzpatrick is likely the starter but Heinicke does have a fighting chance to overtake him.  the one new thing that seems to have emerged of late is that Kyle Allen doesn't seem to be high in the mix for the starting job.  Kyle's name seems to be conspicuously absent in the latest coach comments about the QB spot.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.30.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.31.46 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just have to say, it's been a long time since we've had an embarrassment of riches like this. I know, I know, it's June and everything always looks rosy now but seriously, the vibe from OTAs is off the chart, from coaches to players to rooks, everyone seems to be crankin.

Special mention to Chris Harris, you can't buy that kind of energy and connection

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I just have to say, it's been a long time since we've had an embarrassment of riches like this. I know, I know, it's June and everything always looks rosy now but seriously, the vibe from OTAs is off the chart, from coaches to players to rooks, everyone seems to be crankin.

Special mention to Chris Harris, you can't buy that kind of energy and connection

Man that guy is as good as gone and I think most of us know it. Unless he directly replaces Del Rio, someone will be getting a future stud at defensive coordinator. So much about having a good defense is maintaining a high level of energy and never relaxing. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

I believe this is the emoji you’re looking for.

7A79FCFE-34C5-4B96-9E9A-4E5A82578220.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

Unless it was literally the last 10 seconds of a game and it was for the go-ahead score, I think most QBs would not make that decision to dive; they'd run out of bounds inside the 5 instead and have 1st and goal. As Rivera noted, at that point Heinicke was a guy who may never be in another NFL game again so he was playing with absolutely nothing to lose. That's fun and exciting to watch, but it's not a good long term strategy. 

The very fact that most QBs would have gotten tweaked doing so is why most QBs wouldn't do it.

How many things can happen on 1st and 5? Two good things and 27 bad things......he did the right thing in my opinion. But it is only my opinion.

10 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

How many things can happen on 1st and 5? Two good things and 27 bad things......he did the right thing in my opinion. But it is only my opinion.

I think that's only the case if you don't really have a franchise QB and don't really mind one way or the other if you lose the guy you have. Which is almost never the case.

You're in a playoff game. It's the 3rd quarter and the game is pretty close. You're on the opposing team's 9 yard line and it's 3rd and 5. Your franchise QB takes the snap and has some green grass ahead of him. What would you rather him do:

1. Take off and get to the 4 for a 1st down and get out of bounds. You then have 1st and goal at the 4 with tons of time remaining in a close game. Your QB is healthy.

2. Take off and try to be superman. Dive for the pylon where he could quite possibly injure himself and end up unable to play the rest of the game or any games after that which pretty much dooms your chances in the playoffs.

To me this is a no-brainer. And I think to most coaches it would be too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think that's only the case if you don't really have a franchise QB and don't really mind one way or the other if you lose the guy you have. Which is almost never the case.

You're in a playoff game. It's the 3rd quarter and the game is pretty close. You're on the opposing team's 9 yard line and it's 3rd and 5. Your franchise QB takes the snap and has some green grass ahead of him. What would you rather him do:

1. Take off and get to the 4 for a 1st down and get out of bounds. You then have 1st and goal at the 4 with tons of time remaining in a close game. Your QB is healthy.

2. Take off and try to be superman. Dive for the pylon where he could quite possibly injure himself and end up unable to play the rest of the game or any games after that which pretty much dooms your chances in the playoffs.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. It was a playoff game. The competitive juices were flowing. You can see Heinicke kick in the afterburners when he realized he could make it to the pylon. I think any QB today with the skill set that could make that play would do the same thing. Do you believe any member of the team, player or coach, told Heinicke, "hey, your really should not have done that" after he scored? There is no guarantee that you will go on to get the TD if you run out of bounds, and if they succeed on the two point conversion attempt, the game is tied. I think every coach in that situation in a playoff game with a QB that can make the play would be all for it. In my opinion, you are correct on one count. It is a no-brainer. Cheers!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. It was a playoff game. The competitive juices were flowing. You can see Heinicke kick in the afterburners when he realized he could make it to the pylon. I think any QB today with the skill set that could make that play would do the same thing. Do you believe any member of the team, player or coach, told Heinicke, "hey, your really should not have done that" after he scored? There is no guarantee that you will go on to get the TD if you run out of bounds, and if they succeed on the two point conversion attempt, the game is tied. I think every coach in that situation in a playoff game with a QB that can make the play would be all for it. In my opinion, you are correct on one count. It is a no-brainer. Cheers!

I'd be pretty shocked if you could find any NFL head coach or offensive coordinator who would prefer that his QB in a playoff game risk serious injury by diving for the end zone when he could have easily stepped out of bounds inside the 5 and had first and goal. Especially if it's a close game and there was plenty of time left.

And yes it was a playoff game. Which is part of the point. 3rd quarter in a close playoff game. What happens if you lose your QB, especially if he's your franchise QB? You almost surely lose the game, and even if you had a big lead and still won, if he's hurt and out for the next playoff game you're likely a goner there.

I understand that the competitive juices were flowing, but that shouldn't stop a person's brain from working. That's exactly what Rivera was talking about when he said that Heinicke would need to display more long term behavior than he did in a game where he had literally nothing to lose if he wanted to become a consistent starter in the NFL.

So yeah, I don't think "any QB today with the skill set that could make that play would do the same thing." I think most top QBs with the skill set would have made the play with their legs and gotten out of bounds and then worked on punching it in with 1st and goal at the 4.

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd be pretty shocked if you could find any NFL head coach or offensive coordinator who would prefer that his QB in a playoff game risk serious injury by diving for the end zone when he could have easily stepped out of bounds inside the 5 and had first and goal. Especially if it's a close game and there was plenty of time left.

And yes it was a playoff game. Which is part of the point. 3rd quarter in a close playoff game. What happens if you lose your QB, especially if he's your franchise QB? You almost surely lose the game, and even if you had a big lead and still won, if he's hurt and out for the next playoff game you're likely a goner there.

I understand that the competitive juices were flowing, but that shouldn't stop a person's brain from working. That's exactly what Rivera was talking about when he said that Heinicke would need to display more long term behavior than he did in a game where he had literally nothing to lose if he wanted to become a consistent starter in the NFL.

So yeah, I don't think "any QB today with the skill set that could make that play would do the same thing." I think most top QBs with the skill set would have made the play with their legs and gotten out of bounds and then worked on punching it in with 1st and goal at the 4.

Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott -- I think odds are in the same exact situation, any one of these six would have done the same thing TH did. And again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. 

8 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott -- I think odds are in the same exact situation, any one of these six would have done the same thing TH did. And again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. 

Yeah we can agree to disagree. I don't think any of those guys would have risked the game, the playoffs, or possibly even their careers in order to dive for a TD with almost 20 minutes left in a close game when they could have easily had a 1st and goal at the 4 yard line.

They're pretty experienced and smarter than that IMO. Situational awareness (score, down, distance, time left, etc) is a super important part of being a top QB and they all would have been cognizant of those things in that situation.

I also think if any of them did and had ended up hurt, they would have gotten chewed out by their coaches for doing something so careless and unnecessary that probably cost them the game and/or any hope at advancing further in the playoffs.

Edited by mistertim

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

From the 9 yd line, I would argue that you'd almost never see any QB--franchise or otherwise--run out of bounds at the 3 yard line in that situation. Especially if there is literally no defenders in between them and the pylon. And if a QB did run out of bounds on the 3 instead of trying to take it in during a wildcard game, and the result of the drive was a missed field goal, you know fans would be dogging the guy all offseason for "punking out" instead of at least trying to score.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

Anyone remember when Cam Newton made the decision not to dive on the fumble in the Super Bowl, because he didn't want to get hurt in the process?

How Super Bowl QBs View Cam’s Choice Not to Dive

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/11/cam-newton-dive-fumble-super-bowl-50-carolina-panthers-nfl

"Phil Simms, the former Giants quarterback of 14 years and current CBS color man, echoed what America was thinking during the broadcast. “I guess he made a decision it wasn’t worth (it) to go in there and get it,” Simms said. “Should've dove in. Had a chance to recover it.”

After the dust settled, Simms addressed his colleague, Jim Nantz: “Jim, when you see that football on the ground, no matter the situation, but especially the Super Bowl, you have to go in there and get that recovery.”

“It’s a weak explanation,” says Joe Theismann, winner of Super Bowl 17 and loser of Super Bowl 18 with Washington. “The game’s about effort. And certainly he was under tremendous duress the entire game. But to come up with that excuse? … He has to grow up."

“We have all made business decisions at different times as quarterbacks,” said (an anonymous) quarterback, who is now retired. “It would have been pretty hard at that point in time for me to have made that business decision, but I wasn’t there, and I didn’t see what he saw in that moment.”

Brad Johnson, quarterback of the Super Bowl 37 champion Buccaneers, had a more Newton-friendly take. “The one injury that I always thought changed the course of this argument was the Drew Brees injury,” Johnson says.

[...]Here's the key (and obvious) difference: Brees went down in a regular season game. He also went on to sign a mega-deal with the Saints, throw for 48,555 yards and 348 touchdowns over the next 10 seasons and earn Super Bowl 44 MVP honors. Not exactly the pessimist’s ideal cautionary tale."

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

From the 9 yd line, I would argue that you'd almost never see any QB--franchise or otherwise--run out of bounds at the 3 yard line in that situation. Especially if there is literally no defenders in between them and the pylon. And if a QB did run out of bounds on the 3 instead of trying to take it in during a wildcard game, and the result of the drive was a missed field goal, you know fans would be dogging the guy all offseason for "punking out" instead of at least trying to score.

Disagree. First of all, there were defenders between him and the pylon...that's literally why he dove at the end of the run. In your scenario when there are no defenders then sure, any mobile QB would probably run it in...but without defenders around he'd just run in untouched. Totally different situation.

Second of all, sure you can throw out what-ifs like "well, what if he didn't and they missed a FG?" Well, to me that would be indicative of an overall offensive failure as well as a pretty ****ty kicker. If you have 1st and goal on the 4 and can't punch it in, then also miss a FG, I'd say you have bigger problems than blaming your QB for not diving for the end zone and risking injury.

And as far as Cam...come on. That's a completely different scenario. You're comparing a guy diving and risking injury instead of staying healthy and having a 1st and goal at the 4 yard line to a guy who fumbled the ball and was too lazy to try and jump in to recover it.

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Disagree. First of all, there were defenders between him and the pylon...that's literally why he dove at the end of the run. In your scenario when there are no defenders then sure, any mobile QB would probably run it in...but without defenders around he'd just run in untouched. Totally different situation.

Second of all, sure you can throw out what-ifs like "well, what if he didn't and they missed a FG?" Well, to me that would be indicative of an overall offensive failure as well as a pretty ****ty kicker. If you have 1st and goal on the 4 and can't punch it in, then also miss a FG, I'd say you have bigger problems than blaming your QB for not diving for the end zone and risking injury.

And as far as Cam...come on. That's a completely different scenario. You're comparing a guy diving and risking injury instead of staying healthy and having a 1st and goal at the 4 yard line to a guy who fumbled the ball and was too lazy to try and jump in to recover it.

MT, I just don't think you have a true grasp on reality for this situation. 

Here are two quotes form OC, Scott Turner. Neither of them sound like he is upset with what TH did. In fact, it sounds to me like he expects it.

“If Taylor is going to play, he’s got to play,” said Turner. “We’re not going to baby him. We’re not going to play scared. We’re going to play to win. Everybody on this team deserves that. He’s capable of it. He’s got to raise himself up to the challenge, and he will.”

Turner chuckled at Taylor Heinicke saying he would run out of bounds now rather than dive for the end zone as he did vs. TB in the playoffs. "If he's in that situation again, he's diving for the pylon again," Turner said.

16 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

MT, I just don't think you have a true grasp on reality for this situation. 

Here are two quotes form OC, Scott Turner. Neither of them sound like he is upset with what TH did. In fact, it sounds to me like he expects it.

“If Taylor is going to play, he’s got to play,” said Turner. “We’re not going to baby him. We’re not going to play scared. We’re going to play to win. Everybody on this team deserves that. He’s capable of it. He’s got to raise himself up to the challenge, and he will.”

Turner chuckled at Taylor Heinicke saying he would run out of bounds now rather than dive for the end zone as he did vs. TB in the playoffs. "If he's in that situation again, he's diving for the pylon again," Turner said.

I think my grasp of reality is fine.

None of that is Turner saying "Yeah, that was a great idea and I want him to keep doing it." The first quote doesn't even have anything to do with that specific play...he's talking about Heinicke in general. The second is him jokingly saying that's how Heinicke seems to play. I sort of doubt that he actually wants his QB throwing his body around and risking potential injury on the regular.

Again, Rivera specifically said that for TH to prove he can be a consistent NFL QB, he has to prove that he can make decisions that are better in the long term when he's not playing with absolutely nothing to lose.

Heinicke himself seems to have agreed and gotten the message since, as you noted, he said he'd run out of bounds now. He may have been half-joking but I think he was also partially serious. He knows that he needs to be smarter and a bit more cautious now that he's looking to prove he can be a long term guy and a true starter in the league.

Edited by mistertim

Listened to Bobby Wilder, the ex-ODU coach and arguably the biggest Heinicke fan, speaking a little awhile ago on 106.7.  

In short:

A.  He thinks Heinicke can put up good numbers and win in the pros.  He believes Heinicke processes information very quickly and can escape pressue well which should serve him well in the pros.

B.  He thinks the injury concerns are legit -- it's what Heinicke has to overcome to establish himself in the league.   He even cited some of the injuries and how they contributed to short stints at some clubs including his concussion.

C.  He's spoken to Heinicke in the off season.  Heinicke loves Fitzpatrick.  He thinks Fitzpatrick is a great guy who has already taught him some useful things.

D.  He thinks Heinicke looks great with the 15 pounds added to his frame. 

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think my grasp of reality is fine.

None of that is Turner saying "Yeah, that was a great idea and I want him to keep doing it." The first quote doesn't even have anything to do with that specific play...he's talking about Heinicke in general. The second is him jokingly saying that's how Heinicke seems to play. I sort of doubt that he actually wants his QB throwing his body around and risking potential injury on the regular.

Again, Rivera specifically said that for TH to prove he can be a consistent NFL QB, he has to prove that he can make decisions that are better in the long term when he's not playing with absolutely nothing to lose.

Heinicke himself seems to have agreed and gotten the message since, as you noted, he said he'd run out of bounds now. He may have been half-joking but I think he was also partially serious. He knows that he needs to be smarter and a bit more cautious now that he's looking to prove he can be a long term guy and a true starter in the league.

Rewatched it a few times, it appears he made a football play while avoiding getting hit. It was him against out of bounds and the pylon. Not a situation going over the top or through defenders, you know. The hits one should worry about is from defenders not laying out and diving for a TD. 

Not to say you’re wrong about him needing to find a balance with play making and staying out of harms way. Just the little bit he’s played with Washington it seems he will get hit more than most, due to his improvisation in the pocket, but he seems to have elite spatial awareness that leads me to believe he can avoid hits when running/scrambling outside of the pocket. 

• Like 1