Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

lol I'm not coming at you. I made jokes about an awkwardly titled thread to mess with the OP cause it was funny.

My opinion about what I want to do has not changed.

Watson would be great to have. Trading 3 firsts and pretending trading our Dlineman is viable is dumb.

Yeah well a ton of people enjoyed that post amd it resonated with them.  Im sorry you didnt like the joke, I really am.  Im even sorrier if you dont like Seinfeld.  Get over it.

Or ya know, Dockers slim fit or some ****.

ETA- I was thinking you were talking about the "I think it moved" thread since youve made several snarky comments.  I now realize you were trying to explain your pants comments. Man that sounds ridiculous lol.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1

Imagine the hysteria if we traded for another Eagles QB 😬 

Seems extremely unlikely (understatement—that tweet is garbo). If they even listened to an offer within the division when he’s only 26 you’d learn all you need to know about him. 

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to a dude who covered Darnold with the Jets. He said he watched every game and many practices.

His take is bad mechanics. Bad decision maker. He struggled to read defenses.

He thinks he likely improves elsewhere but his ceiling is OK to good, he doesn’t see any potential greatness 

So in another words. Darnold = Haskins. Yeah. No thanks!

My excitement level for a QB upgrade in 2021 is slowly beginning to wane.  Between Stafford pretty much preventing a trade to WFT from happening, to the amount it would take to land Watson.....I just am not sure what to expect anymore.  I wouldn't be unhappy if they landed a guy like Carr, but I am not really in favor of any young QB's that are still unproven and are looking for the "just need a change of scenery" crutch to get a start somewhere else.    

• Like 1

Wentz has aleast proven he’s capable of playing good football.  You don’t forget how to play so there is reasonable expectation he could return to form under the right circumstance.  I’m not confident we have that situation but I can understand taking the chance if the price is reasonable.

Darnold has never played winning football.  He sees ghosts!  I have no confidence that he is an upgrade to what we already have at any cost.

Im not sure about any of the QBs in the draft, but if they really like one of the guys other than Lawrence maybe we just go get him whatever the cost and hope they choose wisely.

Based on statements from the decision makers, standing pat doesn’t seem to be an option on the table.

My best guess if we don’t keep Alex Smith;  we sign Cam Newton on a 1 year deal to compete with Kyle Allen and Taylor Hienecke to start.

Edited by evmiii

5 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

My guy could learn to throw a checkdown pass possibly. He holds the ball longer than anyone. Partially it’s offensive design (and there’s no doubt that the scheme AND playcalling there has been archaic, not using nearly as much PA or motion as the top offenses now do to make things easier on him, and not letting him make high percentage early down throws because the ancient Pete Carroll is so obsessed with their middle of the road running game), and partially it’s Wilson. He makes magic but also makes a lot of his own problems, despite also being the reason Carroll is so overrated. He’s a tough evaluation for that reason. Well, that’s overstating it—he’s clearly a stud who would thrive even MORE if he was allowed to play in a modern era offense, who also causes trouble for himself behind the LOS extending plays because he doesn’t believe in taking the check down—but it’s hard to blame him because he has had to overcome the backwards encumbrance of that entire offense and play hero ball so often post-LOB defense.  

I’d kill to have him obviously. But the Seahawks aren’t trading him away to rebuild, with the way their roster is constructed and with the oldest HC in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Wilson should take a pay cut like Brady...these high paid QB’s can’t have it both ways. They can’t be the highest paid players and complain their team has deficiencies with their high salaries hamstringing their teams. Isn’t Wilson the 3rd highest player in the league?  The NFL needs a cap on QB’s.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 6

It seems like a waste of time to keep trying to make the argument that the WFT needs a top QB to be a top contender every year and that anyone that advocates for something other then this is missing some point.  Whether your a team first guy or a qb first guy, I think almost everyone agrees we want a top qb ASAP.  But how soon is possilbe?   They do not have the ammo to compete with other teams looking to trade up or the ammo to trade for a guy like Watson, who may not even be available.

What choice do they have  but to find the best QB possible with the resources they have, without giving up something ridiculous? Why is the acknowledgment of this reality somehow translated into acceptance of mediocrity?...its not.

I think if you are going to make the "franchise qb or bust" argument you should have to back it up with a specific move that the WFT should make to accomplish it, including compensation, because I dont see how its likely, even though I hope I am wrong. 

It also seems like a waste of time to keep using the argument that going after an average QB is pointless because its not an upgrade over heinicke or allen.  It is not about ability with those guys as much as health.  There is no way Rivera can feel comfortable going into this season with Allen, Smith, and Heinicke. No matter how good they are.   Even if he had two Heinicke's I would be concerned with making it through the season.   I still am really pulling for him to come out big next year but only with a backup plan. 

Riveras number one priority is that the WFT has a guy they can rely on to make it through the season, and deliver average, if not good, QB play.  Otherwise he is taking a huge risk that he wastes another year of increasingly epic defense with a stable full of good QB's that cant stay healthy.   If he has to pull some guy off the street again in a playoff hunt it will be worst case scenario for the coaching staff.  

If you feel all of this average qb talk is pointless to discuss because the WFT needs a top ten guy to really compete, please circle back to the first paragraph :)

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

I'm sure it's all Seattle's fault Wilson makes one read and then voluntarily flees the pocket every play. 

The guy has played street ball his whole career. He's constantly dancing around,  holding the ball too long,  breaking the pocket, extending plays,  etc. Of course this is going to result in him accumulating sacks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Dak is the key get for us in my opinion. I don’t love his cap cost. But he instantly brings something to the table and he’s going to want to dominate the division. 

I prefer drafting a guy. But if that doesn’t look realistic getting Dak would be a real W.

Just going to be so difficult for him to get away from Dallas. They can tag him and then we’re essentially out. 

This year but next year Dallas won’t tag him again; to prohibitive. So, if we don’t find our QB this year ; maybe Dak can be an option in 22.

Got to wonder if we think we are out of position in the draft to get a QB.

A trade up is going to cost #19, plus a day 2 pick, then dare I say a future 1 or 2 if we want to push higher into the top 10. That almost takes us out of the game as I really don’t see an appetite to trade away 2022 picks. That seems apparent in the Stafford offer.

Plus, we maybe think Darnold has as much potential as anyone we can get hold of in the draft, so a second rounder is a lower cost outlay. Who knows. Sure there is plenty going on that we have no idea about.

Im holding out for a report we are heavily in on Carr at the minute. And the cost is nowhere near a couple of first. 

So I was watching who most people would agree is one of the more respected analysts of QB play in the NFL, Larry the Cable Guy - but I guess he goes by the name "Pat McAfee" now ?

So anyways, Pat, or Larry the Cable Guy, or whatever his name is, seems to be really sold on Heinicke being a legit NFL starter.

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

ETA- I was thinking you were talking about the "I think it moved" thread since youve made several snarky comments.  I now realize you were trying to explain your pants comments. Man that sounds ridiculous lol.

I forgot about your erection thread. Is that why you seem to have a hard on for me?  :D

I just find sexualizing football a really strange phenome. The same way dudes say they're straight and watch adult wrestling (Not that there is anything wrong with that) 

• Haha 1

And, while Cooley admitted he hasn't watched as much of Darnold as he has Carr, the former tight end has seen enough from the Jets passer to feel more comfortable with the Raiders veteran.

"I've seen enough of Darnold to see that he's got some emotional issues," Cooley said. "There are just some things he's said on the sideline, some moments where it's looked like he's panicked."

• Thanks 1