Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

28 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure how old you are or for how long you've been following this team but I've had this thought too many times to count over the years.  While this is probably the rosiest outlook that I've had for awhile, Snyder is still the owner and these are still the Redskins this is still the WFT.

53, fan since Super Bowl Vll.....I've never thought of jumping teams but I have gotten to the point where I couldn't give up a Sunday to watch. Keep the faith, RR is gonna get this going in the right direction and Sundays will be very fun as long as we keep adding to this defense. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't believe people are actually trying to argue for Sam Darnold. He is BAD. Like, Dwayne Haskins level bad.

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sam Darnold is emblematic of a problem this team has faced for the decades under Snyder: change for change's sake. Darnold, like many others here, are not an improvement over what is currently in house. They're just more expensive.

Yes. These. 

I’m amazed daily at the interest in Darnold. Now, if we got him for no draft capital and a tiny salary the reclamation project makes sense. Trading ANYTHING for him is off the wall nuts.

Its more nuts than starting Heinicke, yet some folks that are okay with Darnold don’t want Taylor. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Does anyone know why he couldn’t throw the ball?  It was mentioned before and speculated that it could have been an injury?  Just seems strange to me that he just can’t do it any more and it seems like he’s too young to have just lost arm strength (let alone why he lost accuracy).  
Again, I’m seriously not advocating for Cam - I know very little about him TBH - but on the surface, 1) he’s still relatively young, 2) still good with his legs (fitting the mobility the coaches seem to want), 3) no trade needed to get him, 4) contract should be cheap, 5) he’d be a bridge qb, 6) Turner/RR have already found a way to work with him.  
If his passing issue is related to scheme (and comfort within that scheme), or surrounding talent, I’d think that would be alleviated here.  If was due to injury, has he or will he have healed up?  If it’s something else (confidence maybe? Too many hits?), can he be ‘fixed’ with better support?

I’m just looking for more info than ‘he’s washed’ or whatever, because given my numbered points above (mainly cost in resources) he seems a better option than the Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz types, and a heck of a lot cheaper than Carr.  

I’d tell you why but you told me you don’t want that answer in the last paragraph. :ols:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There's obviously a disconnect to how some teams/media/fans around the league look at Sam compared to opposing fans, media and some differing teams look at him. Yes, if you look at the stats and then watch the Jets games or cut ups it could be easy to deduce he's trash. It would be easy to point to the stats being similar to Haskins and saying what is the difference. That all happens when you view it in a vacuum one way or another. There's always another way.  One can even watch whole Jets games start to finish say he's the reason they're trash and keep it moving. That person could be absolutely correct in the long run looking back or missing the mark. I know Jets fans that can't wait to get rid of him and then some that genuinely believe in him in the Saleh/Lafleur setup. 

It's easy to say Flacco ran the Gase offense better in general. Flacco is a vet, that is what he is. He's molded clay, plug and play. Sam was a piece of clay meant to be molded by Gase and the organization and wasn't. The lack of talent around them only exacerbates that issue. Flacco would look better than he was last season as a Jet as well if the talent was better as well it's not an either or situation.

Then there's the Burrow played well in Cincy with lacking talent, which is a 100% truth. He looked great pre injury. The response to that would be look at what type of QB Burrow was pre Joe Brady. He was a mid round pick at best before getting that development from Brady. Brady coached him one year and he made an unbelievable leap. Baker's career looked like it was headed for a nosedive, even early this season under Stefanski he looked shaky before hitting his stride. Development matters. SD's career in terms of development has been in the hands of Clay Helton (don't get me started on him), Jeremy Bates ( who hasn't had a job since) and Adam Gase. Especially when it's someone who's coachable and receptive to it.  

Tannehill's run with Gase gets brought up as a counter as well. Yes, Tannehill wasn't absolutely trash with Gase but his two highest Int% marks were under Gase 3.3 and 3.1. QB rating plateaued under Gase. QBR plateaued as well. All the aforementioned stats improved in Tennessee, which says something about being under Gase. Also Tannehill was 28 in Year 5 when Gase came to Miami. A base development at the NFL level was already there and Gase still almost derailed his career. What do you think that could do to a year 2&3 22 and 23 YO in that system + development?

Some NFL teams/coaches see a guy who went 24/35 for 341 3 TD's 0 Int's vs Green Bay in a back & forth tilt with Rodgers as rookie, also as a rookie 24/38 for 253 2TD's 0Int's vs Hou who was the #5 scoring defense that season. The 3rd highest QB rating of this season vs the Rams' # 1 defense? SD

Those looking from that vantage are of the belief that there's something salvageable in the right situation under the right tutelage. The bad tape is bade tape, but they feel that they can right the ship and build consistancy in little highs . Sam can very well just flop at the next stop and be the bust everyone has him as. Or some in the league who still hold him in high regard can be right.  

And for the record he's not my hope for here WFT, I'm Pro sign Dak or trade up if Fields,Wilson or Lance is in a reachable spot. Just a lil dose of the opposing viewpoint amongst the he's just garbage take 😁

Can Dak force himself out of Dallas if he wants to? Just curious, on the reports that Dallas and Dak are not close on an extension ...

Dallas can tag him and hope to trade him I guess. But I can't see them agreeing to doing that in division. I don't think there's a mechanism in place other than Dak saying I refuse to play on a 2nd tag and holding out, but that doesn't prevent Dallas from tagging and trading him.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

19 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Better check them Tampa Bay years. 

I did.  He played a basically 1.33 seasons in Tampa.  He also ran for almost 700 yards in that span.   Sample size isn't the same.  Their styles and attributes aren't the same.  If your point is Young was a late bloomer.  Indeed he was.  But he's not a similar QB stylistically to Darnold.

Young was spry and fast at least in QB terms especially for that age.  Darnold is slower than Kirk, just under 4.9.   Darnold can be elusive in the pocket but he's not a dude who is rushing for yards much.  Darnold isn't fast. 

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

More reason to build the team. But this swapping around stuff is out of control.

It's honestly awful and the contracts that QBs can get is absurd. You can't have 1 player call his shot to play on what team he wants, then get paid $40Mil plus at the expense of that team.

It's a road we better not go down.

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Not taking anything away from the Buc's, but the Chiefs were snakebit in many ways. Their weapons are Kelce and Hill. I'd have taken D'Andre Swift over CEH too personally. I agree with you about the horrid OL play however.

I'd like to see our WFT take a gander on Jackson Carman at some point in the draft sooner than later.

CEH looked fine to me.  64 yards on 9 carries and he looked fresh coming off late season injury.  Doesn't matter if it was Swift or CEH though, Andy Reid still won't run the football.  Which when you have the Bucs teeing off on your backup OL and playing two deep safety all day you might want to try something else.  Not sure why the Chiefs used a 1st rd pick on a RB.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drowland said:

CEH looked fine to me.  64 yards on 9 carries and he looked fresh coming off late season injury.  Doesn't matter if it was Swift or CEH though, Andy Reid still won't run the football.  Which when you have the Bucs teeing off on your backup OL and playing two deep safety all day you might want to try something else.  Not sure why the Chiefs used a 1st rd pick on a RB.  

Can never have too many OL, so I'm all for it. KC was totally screwed with having both OTs down. The combination of not having their starting Tackles and Mahomes being on a bit of a gimpy leg really prevented the Chiefs from coming close to their usual selves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’d tell you why but you told me you don’t want that answer in the last paragraph. :ols:

Nope.  It’s an honest question.  I suppose you think my disclaimers were/are disingenuous, lol.  I can understand that I suppose - happens fairly often on here.  I’m trying to be objective - I just don’t have enough info because I’ve virtually never watched him play, particularly this season (which seems important).  The only info I do have is 1) his passing was poor this year and 2) he would be cheap, he’s experienced (including in this system) and mobile.  Add in the fact that we’re spending a lot of time talking about players that have done far less/worse and would cost far more to acquire

I’m simply looking for more analysis or reasons why he’s not able to play qb anymore.  I seriously don’t care about him, he just happens to check a lot of the boxes, which makes me question why he’s so quickly written off.

“RR didn’t get him last year when he could have” is a problematic argument for me because of the circumstances. (Doesn’t mean the argument is wrong of course)
He’s “washed” doesn’t mean a whole lot to me because fans are making declarative statements about most of the qbs we’ve discussed, but that doesn’t dive into context/nuance.  (Again, doesn’t mean this is wrong or that I inherently disagree)
Now someone mentioned shoulder issues, and that gets into what I’m asking about - is it deteriorated?  Can it get healthier/stronger?  Is it a lost cause?

Of course, devoting this much space to Cam, and asking the question more than once will open me up to people thinking I’m invested in him, but that ship sailed once posters talked about an ‘obsession’ with him after a handful of posters mentioned him, lol.  Anyway, I thought I’d ask you specifically because you’re level headed and have a higher level of expertise.