Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

No they do not

But they are not eligible to play anywhere else if they don't, unless they pull a Leveon Bell and sit out while.

The chances of Dak not signing a tag are slimmer than the chances he wont be on Dallas next year.

So he would sit and not get paid, I don't see that happening either honestly. 

I don't see how Dallas can tag him this year with 37 million. Wouldn't that put Dallas in the negative? They might trade him that way but I believe Dak would have to agree on a team that trades for him. No one is giving up two 1st round picks if he isn't signing long-term for that team. Imo I think he's hitting the market like Cousins did.

1 minute ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I don't see how Dallas can tag him this year with 37 million. Wouldn't that put Dallas in the negative? They might trade him that way but I believe Dak would have to agree on a team that trades for him. No one is giving up two 1st round picks if he isn't signing long-term for that team. Imo I think he's hitting the market like Cousins did.

Yup, ideally, they should sign Dak to a LTD with a small first year hit. If they have to tag him, they would be way in the red, but without a starting QB on the roster (No Dalton either) they will take that hit.

If the choice is between having a QB and cutting a few guys, and not having a QB, you can go ahead and sharpen that machete now cuz I'm calling Jason Voorhees out of the bullpen to slice and dice. (Zombie Reference)

Dallas is in even worse position to trade him, as they would absorb all the G money in a trade as dead cap. Even w/ a tag and trade, you would be looking at a 37M dead cap hit (tag is fully G), and they would still have to pay the QB coming in. That would be like paying Dak and another QB... which would make the trade pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is an extremely bad take. Moore is a top-15 WR in the league, possibly a top-10 though I wouldn’t put him there. You mentioned Robby Anderson, who we should have signed in FA. I’m not as high on Samuel as some but he’s a legit weapon in that system, even though his usage just encourages Bridgewater to play horizontally even more. He had plenty of talent even without CMC. Bridgewater is nothing special, he’s QB purgatory personified. And this is petty and pointless but purely aesthetically I hate watching him throw a football, the way it leaves ol’ Teddy Two-Gloves’ hand hurts me to watch, it’s like he pushes the ball rather than ripping it. 

Teddy is miles better than anything we have.

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yup, ideally, they should sign Dak to a LTD with a small first year hit. If they have to tag him, they would be way in the red, but without a starting QB on the roster (No Dalton either) they will take that hit.

If the choice is between having a QB and cutting a few guys, and not having a QB, you can go ahead and sharpen that machete now cuz I'm calling Jason Voorhees out of the bullpen to slice and dice. (Zombie Reference)

Dallas is in even worse position to trade him, as they would absorb all the G money in a trade as dead cap. Even w/ a tag and trade, you would be looking at a 37M dead cap hit (tag is fully G), and they would still have to pay the QB coming in. That would be like paying Dak and another QB... which would make the trade pointless.

Imo my gut is telling me that Dak wants to hit the market and doesn't want to resign with Dallas. Almost a month away from free agency so it will be fun to watch and see what happens

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Minshew is probably my second after Winston. Then Darnold who im not that down on, I just dont mention it because Sip gets too worked up. Lol

I think my list assuming Heinicke and Allen are here, starts with Smith.

All these Darnold mentions are making me love really everything else in ways I never did before.    Every other option feels sweeter than it did before including even staying pat.

If we get any more Darnold mentions, I might start helping some others here sell Heinicke as the next Brett Favre.   Heck soon i'll jump on the lets win a SB with a game manager bandwagon and or we can't upgrade any other spot on the team if we spent capital to get a QB. 😀

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Minshew is probably my second after Winston. T

Minshew numbers make him look like Tom Brady compared to Darnold.  And heck if the rap is if a team sucks then a QB has a complete out then man what does that say for Minshew?  Minshew is Mahomes if we are going to grade these guys on a some major curve based on where they played.  The Jets don't have the first pick in this draft, the Jaguars do.  The Jaguars are at least toe to toe with the Jets as to being losers. 

One consulation for me is I've yet to hear that this team wants Darnold.  I just listened to Breer and he didn't mention the WFT specifically as to being in on Darnold.  The best link we got right now is Rapoport saying WFT will consider every QB so naturally Darnold would be also in that mix.  Maybe so.  But that's pretty nebulous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I got the feeling when it's all said and done we end up with Darnold.  Sorry to upset people but I've heard his name more than any other name other than Stafford before the Rams got him.

You've gone from yesterday to being rabidly against Darnold even more so than me, to acceptance today and now this further movement toward the dark side....

giphy.gif

The chilling Sam Darnold comparison that should scare Jets

We keep waiting on Sam Darnold.

Waiting for the Jets quarterback to take that next step. Waiting for him to play with consistency. Waiting for him to become what everyone expected when he was the USC quarterback and lit up the Rose Bowl that day against Penn State.

But what if we are just left waiting?

What if this is who Darnold is?

What if he is always going to tease us with a throw here, a good game there, but never become that franchise quarterback everyone expected him to be when the Jets took him No. 3 overall in 2018?

Sunday was a bummer for anyone hoping Darnold was going to silence his doubters in his third season. He played one of his worst games in a 27-17 loss to the Bills. Darnold looked like he was rushing things. His footwork was sloppy. His throws were off target. His decision-making was bad. He looked like a rookie.

Now, it was just one game. But that is the thing about Darnold. He could come back and play well Sunday against the 49ers, but will that make you believe again? The Samcoaster was supposed to be a smooth ride by this point. Instead, it still leaves you queasy.

....But this is not all on Gase. Darnold’s performance Sunday can’t be excused away by blaming Gase or Breshad Perriman.

Darnold missed wide-open receivers. His throws sailed past them. He threw an inexcusable interception where he did just about everything wrong. He ran out of bounds for a 5-yard loss instead of throwing the ball away. He took a delay of game penalty out of a TV timeout.

“My timing needs to be better,” Darnold said Monday. “I think I did hurry some things. I feel like at the beginning of the game I’ve just got to relax and take a deep breath, ease myself into it and make the throws that are there.”

...When a team drafts a quarterback in the top 10, the assumption and expectation are usually the player will be great, but few really are. Between 2010-19, there were 20 quarterbacks drafted in the top 10. Most have not been Andrew Luck or Patrick Mahomes. The majority don’t make it. From Blaine Gabbert to Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, the NFL is littered with would-be franchise quarterbacks.

The 23-year-old may end up being a serviceable starter, but that is not what Jets fans dreamed about when he was selected. The bigger fear is that he is not even that.

Consider this blind player comparison:

Player A: 27 starts, 533-for-890 passing for 6,104 yards, 37 touchdowns, 29 interceptions, 59.9 completion percentage, 80.3 rating.

Player B: 27 starts, 577-for-990 passing for 6,506 yards, 40 touchdowns, 29 interceptions, 58.3 completion percentage, 79.3 rating.

Player A is Darnold. Player B is Blake Bortles, who was the last quarterback selected No. 3 overall before Darnold, through his first 27 starts.

You may scoff at that comparison, but Bortles was good enough to get the Jaguars to the AFC Championship game in 2017, when he had a strong defense to help him along. Jets fans remember Mark Sanchez’s first two seasons when he was a complementary piece of the puzzle.

We keep waiting for Darnold to be more than Bortles or Sanchez. We keep waiting for him to be what we expected and predicted after watching him star at USC.

But what if he never gets there?

https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/the-chilling-sam-darnold-comparison-that-should-scare-jets/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You've gone from yesterday to being rabidly against Darnold even more so tham me, to acceptance today and now this further movement toward the dark side....

giphy.gif

No SIP, I'm thinking this is who we end up trading for.  I don't know.  Just guessing.  Carr is out.  I'd like Minshew honestly.  Mariota would be cool too.  But if we got Darnold I wouldn't be mad!  I think he may be able to turn his career around with Zampese who I think loves the guy and see potential in him.  That's all. :)

59 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Iknow nothing much about Sam Darnold so just looked him up and a decent film review.  He's prototype measurably and clearly on a terrible team with bad coaching.  I have no perceived value for him, but that which is competition value certainly.

I'm sorry - I tried to watch that but the guy who did the breakdown is just making excuses.  I'm not saying Darnold won't be better elsewhere because he likely will be but the first 2 plays of that breakdown were 100% on Darnold and not making the correct read/decision and yet this guy is making excuses as to why it's ok for him to do so.

One follow-up on the quarterback carousel stuff from the Monday column: I’ve been asked a bunch about whether Marcus Mariota is a worthy, Ryan Tannehill–style reclamation project. So I went to people who have been around him. The answer I got is that it pretty much comes down to his health. “He’s not fixable if you’re plugging him into a run-of-the-mill offense,” said one veteran evaluator. “He’s capable of doing something else for you, if not for the fact that he’s always hurt. If he were playing for the Ravens, and I’m not just saying it’s only them—I think they’ve done an awesome job with Lamar Jackson—he could be a Pro-Bowler. But he’d get hurt, and that’s the Catch-22. Short of that, it’s just getting lucky, and his being durable all of the sudden.”

The evaluator then added, “He can throw it, he’s accurate, he’s got good enough arm strength. The problem in a conventional offense, when the bullets are firing and things happen fast, his instinct is to be so conservative. He’s terrified to make a mistake, so he’ll come off his progressions and check the ball down, or he panics. When things get dirty, he abandons progressions, and that’s an instinctive thing. I’m not sure at this point that’s correctable.” I’ll be interested to see if he gets another shot to start somewhere then, considering all this. Based on what’s out there, it does seem like a worthy dice roll for someone to throw a mid-round pick at the Raiders for him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/08/monday-afternoon-quarterback-super-bowl-buccaneers-chiefs-rosters

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No SIP, I'm thinking this is who we end up trading for.  I don't know.  Just guessing.  Carr is out.  I'd like Minshew honestly.  Mariota would be cool too.  But if we got Darnold I wouldn't be mad!  I think he may be able to turn his career around with Zampese who I think loves the guy and see potential in him.  That's all. :)

Where is this Zampese stuff coming from?  i assume its just you guessing unless I missed some report?

So first a few months ago we get the Instagram or Twitter DM w/ Dak's brother who said he was telling Dak that Washington would welcome him with open arms.

Then we see Dak at some point had started following the WFT Instagram page.

It doesn't mean he'll leave Dallas, but I'd say it's intriguing enough not to 100% ignore. Not in today's "social media as an official platform" age.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Darnold is only 23 years old....I haven't watched his film but that is very young for an NFL QB. An optimist would argue that he got a couple of years of free NFL training on someone else's watch and that experience can help him grow. A pessimist would say he sucks and has no future in the league. For me, if we did go with Darnold, it wouldn't be to hand him the job but to compete for it with the other two holdover unprovens. That's why we can't give up more than a 4th or 5th for him. Unless I'm wrong and our coaches feel he's a steal and is ready to start from the jump? I can't see that being the case, not with all the other options that could be available, some of which won't cost us any assets. Playing it out I can't see us making a hard push for Darnold but what do I know?

Could we just trade the Jets our 2nd 3rd Rd pick and a 5th to get Darnold and Crowder back in DC?  I know some wouldn't be happy with giving up a 3rd but I miss Jamison Crowder and he'd fill an extremely glaring hole with our slot while also providing us a qb that may or may not become something?  Would the value be too low for the Jets?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One follow-up on the quarterback carousel stuff from the Monday column: I’ve been asked a bunch about whether Marcus Mariota is a worthy, Ryan Tannehill–style reclamation project. So I went to people who have been around him. The answer I got is that it pretty much comes down to his health. “He’s not fixable if you’re plugging him into a run-of-the-mill offense,” said one veteran evaluator. “He’s capable of doing something else for you, if not for the fact that he’s always hurt. If he were playing for the Ravens, and I’m not just saying it’s only them—I think they’ve done an awesome job with Lamar Jackson—he could be a Pro-Bowler. But he’d get hurt, and that’s the Catch-22. Short of that, it’s just getting lucky, and his being durable all of the sudden.”

The evaluator then added, “He can throw it, he’s accurate, he’s got good enough arm strength. The problem in a conventional offense, when the bullets are firing and things happen fast, his instinct is to be so conservative. He’s terrified to make a mistake, so he’ll come off his progressions and check the ball down, or he panics. When things get dirty, he abandons progressions, and that’s an instinctive thing. I’m not sure at this point that’s correctable.” I’ll be interested to see if he gets another shot to start somewhere then, considering all this. Based on what’s out there, it does seem like a worthy dice roll for someone to throw a mid-round pick at the Raiders for him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/08/monday-afternoon-quarterback-super-bowl-buccaneers-chiefs-rosters

Where is this Zampese stuff coming from?  i assume its just you guessing unless I missed some report?

My guess.  

Just now, thelongestbreath said:

Could we just trade the Jets our 2nd 3rd Rd pick and a 5th to get Darnold and Crowder back in DC?  I know some wouldn't be happy with giving up a 3rd but I miss Jamison Crowder and he'd fill an extremely glaring hole with our slot while also providing us a qb that may or may not become something?  Would the value be too low for the Jets?

2nd and 3rd is a bit much - I think a 2nd alone probably pulls darnold and no more than a 5th for crowder.

6 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Love the Crowder idea....

• Like 1