Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So basically aside from him not violating Covid protocols twice and the myriad of other character related issues, he's Dwayne Haskins.  😬

More professional than Haskins and can roll out in the pocket and throw on the move better than Haskins.  Otherwise it seems like most of the same issues.

When he said telegraphing his throws, that's exactly what I mentioned yesterday after watching two Darnold games.  Darnold can go throw progressions and moves his eyes from one target to the other.  But when it comes to his first target he's just about always starring right at the dude -- not even a little subterfuge to his game on that front.  I thought Trey Lance, who I like, really stares down his targets but Darnold is just as blatant doing so.  For Lance I get it, he's young, he will perhaps learn.  But Darnold is headed to season 4 in the NFL, he's not in college anymore. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

@RWJ

here's the mock move for Jones you've been pushing for, someone evidently saw it the same way

Pick

Washington Football Team

Washington Football Team
Mac Jones · QB

PROJECTED TRADE WITH VIKINGS

School: Alabama | Year: Junior (RS)

Alex Smith's comeback is an amazing story, but at 36, with noticeable mobility issues, he's no longer a quarterback Washington can confidently build around. Last time the franchise drafted a big, strong-armed passer … it didn't work out. Maybe this time the team will take a guy who can operate an efficient offense that will give its outstanding defense a break. To beat out competitors for Jones, such as the Patriots and Saints, new GM Martin Mayhew might need to give up a second-round pick in this draft and the next to move up.

• Like 1

Every time I follow this thread, I'm more convinced that the WFT won't be able to give up the resources/draft-picks to obtain Watson.  Unless something weird happens in the draft, I doubt if WFT can afford enough to move up and pick up one the top 5 QBs (Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, or Jones). I suspect the Raiders keep Carr, unless the price is too good for Gruden to turn down ( but which WFT probably can't afford to give up.). Ryan, Winston, and Prescott likely are re-signed by their current teams.  I'm not sure WFT is willing to take on Wentz, or Trubisky. ( And don't forget WFT  is still carrying Smith's contract costs (in some fashion) -- so how much of the cap do you tied up in QB salaries, if  WFT signs an expensive contract for a top-tier QB?)

So the issue is ....should the WFT  try to rush out and sign the best low-tier  QB  hitting free-ageny, mainly backups?  That's folks like Chase Daniel, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Newton, Henne, etc.  Or do they wait to see if other teams' trades or the draft selections nowcmake a "starting QB" available, such as Garapolo, Minshew, Stidham, etc. I don't think Darnold is going to be available as a bargain, frankly Rosen might have been cheaper, but apparently WFT  wasn't interested in plucking him off of TB's  practice squad and now would have to trade with ST to pick him up.

At this point, it might be worthwhile to (a) settle for Fitzpatrick and have Allen and Heinicke in the cold or (b) see if they can pry Dalton from Dallas when they have to pay too much for Prescott to "get by" while they develop a QB they select with one of their 3rd round picks.  (Still, I somehow see Ron giving increasing thought for bringing in Newton, if his other avenues dry up.

Not a great way to move into 2021, but this team needs to continue to upgrade its talent level, if it wants to be an attractive spot for free agents and not have to overpay FAs to coax them onto the roster.. In about two years, his team will be good enough to do that, and maybe by then the market for QBs might have calmed down cost-wise.  Why try to go all in, to "buy" a QB during a seller's market?

Edited by Wyvern
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So if the choice is Winston or Darnold, who ya'll taking?

Winston all day, every day.  Either Jameis or the cigarettes, don't care.

So, do we either want a QB that'll cause 30 turnovers per season with fumbles and INT's (Darnold), or a QB that'll cause 30 turnovers per season (INT's, some fumbles).

Hard choice, that.

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

So, do we either want a QB that'll cause 30 turnovers per season with fumbles and INT's (Darnold), or a QB that'll cause 30 turnovers per season (INT's, some fumbles).

Hard choice, that.

Yup neither are great, said to be loaded with potential and never met expectations.

You might be able to squeeze more out of Darnold getting him into a new environment.

Winston you get as a FA, no assets in a trade, I would trend that way

I don't want either but at least with Winston you'll have an offense that can move the ball and score points. The turnovers would be killer though for a team that's still gonna be built around ball control and defense.

Darnold is doo doo. He's basically Haskins without the a-hole personality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Agreed I don't even know why we are talking about these two bums...

If we roll with just Heinecke and Allen next year, we’re not winning more than 6 or 7 games, which doesn’t even guarantee a division title.  If we want to win the division and compete for more, we need to significantly upgrade at the QB position.  If that means trading for Watson, or Carr, I’m all for it.  I do agree that Winston/Mariotta are not upgrades, and would be more placeholders than anything else.

If anything, last night should’ve been revealing to WFT fans, in that we went toe to toe with the SB champs with a 4th string QB literally signed off the streets.  We performed better against Tampa Bay than NO and KC did.  With the NFC picture up in the air now, maybe we can vault into contention if we get even an above average QB.

Edited by samy316

6 minutes ago, samy316 said:

If we roll with just Heinecke and Allen next year, we’re not winning more than 6 or 7 games,

6 minutes ago, samy316 said:

If anything, last night should’ve been revealing to WFT fans, in that we went toe to toe with the SB champs with a 4th string QB literally signed off the streets

These two statements are a little contradictory. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thing is, for WFT, it is not for lack of trying and I bet its true for others.  During the Dan's tenure, we've brought in 4 first rounders, all fails.  Gone the trade route, done OK here recently but no long-term success. While some of our best (relatively speaking) were mid-rounders and street guys.

38 minutes ago, redskinss said:

These two statements are a little contradictory. 

Not really.  I was emphasizing how much better we’d be with a consistent above average QB, which we DO NOT have at the current moment.  Heinecke has only played about 5 good quarters of football overall.  Chances are he won’t duplicate his performance against Tampa Bay once D-Coordinators have more film of him.  If we had a competent, consistent QB, we’d be up there with the Bucs, Packers and Rams as far as contenders go.

Edited by samy316

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't want either but at least with Winston you'll have an offense that can move the ball and score points. The turnovers would be killer though for a team that's still gonna be built around ball control and defense.

Darnold is doo doo. He's basically Haskins without the a-hole personality.

While Winston has a interceptus problem, Arian's offense is know for high interception rates.

Guys we haven’t really seen Winston play post-lasik. This man has been squinting since pee-wee, while putting up heisman numbers and then 5000 yards in the NFL

Put him in a less risk averse offense than the Rex Grossman’s wet dream he played in under Arians and that’s as high upside as you can ask for compared to guys like Mariota, Darnold, etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1