Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

A lot of people fail to realize that in that snippet of Darnold incompletions he was working on the "closed eyes technique" which when perfected doesn't give DBs a pre throw indication of where the ball will be thrown. Its been used successfully for some years now in the major European football leagues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

A lot of people fail to realize that in that snippet of Darnold incompletions he was working on the "closed eyes technique" which when perfected doesn't give DBs a pre throw indication of where the ball will be thrown. Its been used successfully for some years now in the major European football leagues.

With how a lot of his passes go, he may need to shift to the “opened eyed technique” 

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't see why any team would want to *trade* for Darnold.  Now, if he gets cut or ends up on the market, then signing him as a project to see if he can turn things around while initially a backup? Ok fine, but I can't imagine giving up resources to acquire that QB.

Like someone mentioned earlier- I think I’d be ok with our 2nd 3rd at most- just given the potential and age

If we are "rehabbing" a Qb, I think this is my favorite one.  Not because I am sold he's the answer.  But part of the point of rehabbing a guy is you don't know if he is otherwise he likely wouldn't be available.    Darnold to me has too many red flags, flaws and is too expensive in all likelihood for me to be into him.  

Mariota at least showed he could have a Dolphins/Tannehill type season in his career unlike Darnold.   The dude runs a 4.5.    He actually took a team to the playoffs in his career, and his stats were actually decent during those playoffs.  He ran for almost 90 yards in his one start for Oakland.

Would I bet the farm he's the answer?  Nope.  Would i die on a hill arguing on his behaf on this thread?  Nope.   But If I am going with a Dog of the Dow type of approach to find the next Tannehill, I'd throw cash behind a dude like him over Darnold any day.  With Mariota you can actually form some argument that doesn't center on just blaming everything wrong with the dude on the team he plays for. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Brady and Manning are also not the best examples to equate with WFT's situation because Brady & Manning were also at the twilight of their career and the burden was also the franchises bringing them in to also break the banks in the short term to surround them with talent to win championships immediately.   I'd have expected any franchise that signed them to do the same thing.  

WFT is a young team for the most part. If they end up with a guy like Dak or Watson, the improvement in the offense will be immediate but there also isn't this burden to win a Superbowl in 2021 or even 2022 the way there would be with a Manning or Brady under center.  

I’d just like to clarify that my point about Brady/Manning was more about the NFL and QBs gaining power and general

im not endorsing us to trade for those same people, or that it’s good for any team per se. 

just pointing out that it shouldn’t be surprising the QBs in that elite tier are finally using their leverage to get what they want instead of playing the teachers pet 

also I want no part of Darnold. Give me Winston over any of these scrubs we’re talking about trading for. At least he’s performed at a high level. He’ll I’d rather rock with TH and KA

My thought is, unless the QB we acquire excites free agents WRs to want to play here, he’s not worth giving up the assets 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-benched-ryan-tannehill-titans-draft-bust/w2ssffk6p9cm13ftmajkpjomn

Some info on Mariota’s career path...it’s been a minute since he’s performed at a high level over a period of time. Usually in the NFL that spells doom, but for QB’s there is always another chance around the corner. I would not trade much to acquire him. 

I was just watching Heinicke's very brief career highlights, from every team he's played for.

He has done the exact same pylon dive for a TD for literally every team that he played for. I think one was in preseason.

But he did for all of these teams. below, Even though he's barely played. Apparently, he wasn't doing it vs Tampa, just because he was desperate to win a job, as some suggested.

ODU

Vikings

Panthers

WFT

He literally has a nose for the end zone, when he nosedives.

He needs a nickname for his signature TD dive...like the Hive Dive or something.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like the QB position is too valuable and the bubbles going to burst soon. We're seeing teams move to more run option college style football. This offseason has been just crazy and its barely even started. Its not sustainable. 

The quarterback bubble?  Lol the most important position in sports is a bubble.  In other news, Amazon stock craters to $10 a share.

Cap goes up, quarterback spending goes up.  Pandemic hits, cap goes slightly down for the first year ever and for 5 seconds the position seems a little overvalued.

Teams would be wise to categorize the position into difference makers and meh, and up the ante for the former and never spend much on the latter.  They wont.  Because HCs and FOs need to win to keep their jobs and there just arent enough difference makers to go around, plus there are a lot of poor talent evaluators in prominent positions and always will be.

"Bubble" haha.  The position only gets more valuable over time.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we are "rehabbing" a Qb, I think this is my favorite one.  Not because I am sold he's the answer.  But part of the point of rehabbing a guy is you don't know if he is otherwise he likely wouldn't be available.    Darnold to me has too many red flags, flaws and is too expensive in all likelihood for me to be into him.  

Mariota at least showed he could have a Dolphins/Tannehill type season in his career unlike Darnold.   The dude runs a 4.5.    He actually took a team to the playoffs in his career, and his stats were actually decent during those playoffs.  He ran for almost 90 yards in his one start for Oakland.

Would I bet the farm he's the answer?  Nope.  Would i die on a hill arguing on his behaf on this thread?  Nope.   But If I am going with a Dog of the Dow type of approach to find the next Tannehill, I'd throw cash behind a dude like him over Darnold any day.  With Mariota you can actually form some argument that doesn't center on just blaming everything wrong with the dude on the team he plays for. 

Ill grant you, there are are not many guys with the cost vs uoside equation that Mariota represents.  Granted the upside hitting is a really small percentage, but its not as bad as a lot of other options.

Winston falls in the same category but for whatever reason it just feels like its a foregone conclusion he returns to New Orleans and Im not sure why.

Both are table scraps but at least you can envision a back door flush hitting like 5% of the time.

35 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was just watching Heinicke's very brief career highlights, from every team he's played for.

He has done the exact same pylon dive for a TD for literally every team that he played for. I think one was in preseason.

But he did for all of these teams. below Even though he barely played, at least in the pros.

ODU

Vikings

Panthers

WFT

He literally has a nose for the end zone, when he nosedives.

He needs a nickname for his signature TD dive...like the Hive Dive or something.

Promise me 17 games from Heinicke and hes my 2022 starter easily.

Durability is the problem.  He gets injured just as frequently as he dives for pylons.  The skills are real though, theres no denying it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hmm, I'm not convinced Mariota didn't just get lucky.  I'm not sure he even saw the safety.  Safety was right in the lane and jumped out if it.  I don't think Mariota had some advanced headfake/eye movement to do that, I think it's just luck.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you want to see more examples of Darnold's poor accuracy...just watch his highlight reel.  Somehow, in a damn highlight reel, his throws are off target and WR's 7 yards down the field have to stop their stride to catch it or scoop up an almost dirtball.  Felt like the Jets left a lot of YAC opportunities on the field with Darnold.

I'd much rather Allen or Heinicke.  Darnold isn't an option.

• Like 1

I think i would stick with a combination of Smith/Allen/Heinicke over all of these QBs being discussed outside of Carr (and Watson but that appears way too unrealistic).

Only way im interested is if the trade pick involved is mid to low. I can tolerate a 3rd for Darnold for example, that is minimal cost relative to what is being thrown out there.

I said a couple of weeks back I thought plan B after Stafford would be a move for Jimmy G. All quiet on that front, though I see Shanahan apparently likes Darnold. Wouldn’t sleep on a Jimmy G move, as bad as that sounds to most. Not sure what impression Mayhew has on him....

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Ill grant you, there are are not many guys with the cost vs uoside equation that Mariota represents.  Granted the upside hitting is a really small percentage, but its not as bad as a lot of other options.

Winston falls in the same category but for whatever reason it just feels like its a foregone conclusion he returns to New Orleans and Im not sure why.

Both are table scraps but at least you can envision a back door flush hitting like 5% of the time.

I view these guys a little differently. Winston and Mariota aren’t really even close in terms of talent but more importantly production as a QB imo. Winston has 6k more yards and 44 more Touchdown passes, same draft class. I also think if we are willing to pay, we can get him. New Orleans is cap strapped and probably won’t be able to compete with a legit offer.  Even though he didn’t play last year and took a super cheap deal, if we offered 18-25 he’d be hard pressed not to take it on a short term deal.

I think Winston is easily the most talented QB available. Now in terms of Value/cost you wouldn’t have to pay Mariota near that, but realistically you aren’t getting near the production. Not sure either is the answer but I’d bet more on Winston today than Mariota.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1