Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That is serious money.  Very happy for HineyHiney!

Now let’s nab Darnold for a 3rd, sign Allen Robinson and go “Fat Boy Crazy” in this draft.

Whos with me?!?

I am with you 100% on Robinson. 

I'd rather not throw a 3rd rounder in the trash for Darnold but it wouldn't be as bad compared to the rumors that it would take a 2nd or first.  It would be fun I admit though to watch Heinicke beat Darnold in training camp.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Seeing Sage Rosenfeld's name on the bottom ticker of the draft day screen was one of those..."WHO THE HELL" moments. I probably threw something at the TV too.

Never understood the pick. I was certain I was going to see a need position like ILB or G and there were a number of LBs I really liked-Brandon Spoon, Carlos Polk and Edgerton Hartwell

Ratay would have made so much more sense than Husak

I have watched Mond a few times this year and tried to like him. He would def need to be a guy that holds the clipboard for a bit but if in later rounds would be worthy. 

Trask is tougher for me. He so heavily benefited from a couple defensive mismatch freak weapons that inflated his numbers. Of course this occurred with Jones too but he did show up really well at the end of the year in big games .

Mond, Trask and Newman would be good to take a run for backups with Mond in much later round than the other two. I like Jones but he is going to be way over drafted

The thing about Mond for me is that he'd be a developmental guy who, if pressed to play I think wouldn't be in over his head. I wish his completion percentage was higher and I've read reports from fans who weren't in love with him as an all around QB. But I think his mobility gives just the right tools to come in and be a potential guy who could learn to play as a pro. Honestly my pro comp for him right now is Daniel Jones. Nothing splashy as a starter and somebody we'd be looking to replace sooner or later, but for a 3rd or 4th I think thats reasonable. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd rather not throw a 3rd rounder in the trash for Darnold but it wouldn't be as bad compared to the rumors that it would take a 2nd or first.  It would be fun I admit though to watch Heinicke beat Darnold in training camp.  😀

No to a  third rounder on Darnold....5th at best. I am really seeing Cam Newton as the guy now with the money we gave Heiny. Its gonna be a vet signing like Cam, Fitzmagic or someone else like Taylor. All will be told they need to compete to win the job. Unless something seriously falls in our lap I think we are gonna keep building the roster and ham and egging it at QB to see what shakes out. Marriotta makes sense too if he can be gotten for a reasonable cost. 

I was thinking we'd offer Heinicke a one or two year contract at 3 million per year, so this is a significant slice above that -- but not outlandish, and I guess it depends on the structure of the deal. Since Allen is an ERFA, we have a little more time on that one to see how things play out. Given the craziness in the QB market, as well as the uncertainty about Smith's future, teams are playing 3D chess right now. Signing Heinicke seems like the prudent move of a small but significant piece on that board.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is exactly where my reservations for Heinicke lie, beyond his stature and lack of tape.  The playoff game was his 'lose yourself' moment.  Leave everything out there as it was probably his last chance to carve a spot for himself in the league.  I'm glad we signed him on, but I'd be lying if that $8.75M isn't more than I was expecting him to get.

For me, I think he just plays with moxie, that's his style.  But I get the concern of how to some its easier to perform when you got nothing to lose so you let it fly.

For me my concern is durability.  He looks like a small dude to me, the type who can get split in two with a big hit.    

If he was a bigger guy, I'd have little hesitation rolling with him.    I am a sucker I admit for dudes who can move in the pocket and play with moxie.  Like a Zach Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fine. Grab Mariota instead...or whoever.  Just do something so we can get back to talking about FAT BOYS.  

All this QB talk bores me.

• Haha 4

For me, I think he just plays with moxie, that's his style.  But I get the concern of how to some its easier to perform when you got nothing to lose so you let it fly.

For me my concern is durability.  He looks like a small dude to me, the type who can get split in two with a big hit.    

If he was a bigger guy, I'd have little hesitation rolling with him.    I am a sucker I admit for dudes who can move in the pocket and play with moxie.  Like a Zach Wilson.

Oh I agree, in fact his moxie is pretty much the only thing I like about him, he just so happens to play with a lot of it.

At this point I'm resigned to seeing what he can do vs. giving up any assets to get anyone not named Watson or Carr, and even then - I don't want to give up the rumored assets it would require.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Image result for you're on your own gif

Out on Darnold. He is Haskins bad. I'm still in on trading up for Lance and letting him sit. Would rather sign Davis from Tennessee, personally.

Who's with ME?!

I'm going to get flack for defending Haskins, but I think the main problem with Haskins wasn't his skill level. We knew he was a developmental QB. It was his decision making. One thing that I hate to see about pocket passers is that they can get too afraid and start expecting the rush, which takes their eyes off downfield and causes them to take more time and thus the rush comes. Now Haskins didn't quite have this problem. It was more that he didn't have the mobility yet so he was taking sacks that more mobile QBs or even QBs with better pocket awareness wouldn't take. Whats more is that he had started rushing his throws and forcing things. And I think Darnold is in that same camp. Anytime you hear a QB say he's seeing things that's a bad sign. I think of Carr in Houston, Ramsey here and Beck here. All three had some skills throwing the ball but their lack of an OL and lack of mobility to counter that hurt them. Darnold has mobility but not on a R. Wilson level so he is not avoiding hits like he could be. 

I see him as another Drew Brees type with better wheels. Brees plays with a lot of certainty and makes throws downfield, that's what I saw in Heiny. Both are on the smaller side and both seem very smart. If Cousins had Heiny's confidence he'd be a hall of famer. Heinicke isn't scared and his teammates like how he plays. That rubs off on everyone. I'm not saying Heiny is nearly as good as Brees but I see that kind of competitor in him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing about Mond for me is that he'd be a developmental guy who, if pressed to play I think wouldn't be in over his head. I wish his completion percentage was higher and I've read reports from fans who weren't in love with him as an all around QB. But I think his mobility gives just the right tools to come in and be a potential guy who could learn to play as a pro. Honestly my pro comp for him right now is Daniel Jones. Nothing splashy as a starter and somebody we'd be looking to replace sooner or later, but for a 3rd or 4th I think thats reasonable. 

Mond to me is good as a flier.  I've watched a bunch of his games.  My opinion can change about him from one game to the next.  He's a roller coaster.  He has a good arm and decent mobility.   Mond and Newman are my favorite roll of the dice guys.  I'd bet money that either one won't be a franchise QB but hey that's why they are roll the dice types. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Fine. Grab Mariota instead...or whoever.  Just do something so we can get back to talking about FAT BOYS.  

All this QB talk bores me.

Any mock draft that doesn't have us moving up for Lance/Fields (in a crack-pipe-dream) that has us passing on Darrisaw irritates me. Love the film I've seen on him. We more nasty mother****ers on our OL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I was thinking we'd offer Heinicke a one or two year contract at 3 million per year, so this is a significant slice above that -- but not outlandish, and I guess it depends on the structure of the deal. Since Allen is an ERFA, we have a little more time on that one to see how things play out. Given the craziness in the QB market, as well as the uncertainty about Smith's future, teams are playing 3D chess right now. Signing Heinicke seems like the prudent move of a small but significant piece on that board.

I just wanted a multiple year contract. I don't think he is the definitive answer but a contract with incentives that doesn't bind us too much helps in the long run. He will outperform that contract by simply being number 2 every game this season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Holy ****, not bad for someone who was Turners ‘COVID reserve QB’ on speed dial just 2 months ago. Thats is probably a decent contract for us too, in terms of that being looked at as a backup #2 contract. 

Not sure what to make of that, hopefully we quickly see some additional moves to make our QB position much clearer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mond to me is good as a flier.  I've watched a bunch of his games.  My opinion can change about him from one game to the next.  He's a roller coaster.  He has a good arm and decent mobility.   Mond and Newman are my favorite roll of the dice guys.  I'd bet money that either one won't be a franchise QB but hey that's why they are roll the dice types. 

Yeah thats how I feel about him. I like both him and Newman as late round prospects (for different reasons). Right now I'm more into mobile QBs who have shown some accuracy over a longer time. Both guys are mobile but Newman doesn't have the body of work so I kinda fear him playing his rookie year and I fear that when he does play he will make more rookie mistakes. Mond I think is probably more mature (thats talked about a lot in Texas fan forms and reddit pages) but he just doesn't always go for the big play which frustrates some fans. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oh I agree, in fact his moxie is pretty much the only thing I like about him, he just so happens to play with a lot of it.

At this point I'm resigned to seeing what he can do vs. giving up any assets to get anyone not named Watson or Carr, and even then - I don't want to give up the rumored assets it would require.

I think his mobility/pocket prescense is really good.   Good accuracy it seems too.

My concerns durability and arm strength. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't think it means Kyle is gone, but like you mentioned it signals more about Alex.  Unfortunately, that's what backups are going to get in this market.  

I suggested a while back that we give both Heinicke and Allen 2 year 4/5 mil deals and let them fight over the #2 spot. Seems like Heinicke gets 9mil in the contract and Allen can feast off the other 1mil on his ERFA tender.:ols:

• Like 1