Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke is a great interview.  I listened to the whole thing.  He comes off smart, articulate, humble. 

One cool quote that I didn't see anyone tweet was him saying when asked about the love he got from Chase Young was he thought part of that was driven by him being seen studying like crazy in the locker room leading up to the game.

I heard that the incentives are somewhat based on games he ends up playing.

After how things had been going, these guys were probably thrilled to see this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Does this Heinicke re-signing change anything about the rest of the approach to the QB position (this offseason)?   Does it make it less likely that some kind of blockbuster trade or signing will happen?  Heinicke is sharing in his press conference that he was excited because he'd been told there will be an open competition for the starting QB position when camp opens.  I could see that if himself, Kyle Allen, and even Alex Smith are who returns....with Montez sort of on the outside looking in.  However, if the front office somehow manages to still bring in a starting caliber veteran.....?

" he'd been told there will be an open competition for the starting QB position when camp opens. "

That leads me to believe I wouldn't expect any blockbuster moves from Washington. 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Does this Heinicke re-signing change anything about the rest of the approach to the QB position (this offseason)?   Does it make it less likely that some kind of blockbuster trade or signing will happen?  Heinicke is sharing in his press conference that he was excited because he'd been told there will be an open competition for the starting QB position when camp opens.  I could see that if himself, Kyle Allen, and even Alex Smith are who returns....with Montez sort of on the outside looking in.  However, if the front office somehow manages to still bring in a starting caliber veteran.....?

I would hope not. I think all it does is give more flexibility if the prices are too high to the point of being ridiculous. He earned a right to compete - nothing more nothing less. He is nice story but even by his own admission frailty is an issue. Two starts, injured both times. 

For me just no Wentz and no Cam. I can see a good argument for jsut about anyone else - maybe even Darnold although he is at the bottom of the, well if we have to list. But we should not be looking at either of those two QBs. If they do, I will be extremely disappointed. 

• Like 1

Well if it’s going to be a competition, Smith is gone and we are bring in another similar level QB. Got to think the higher end QB market prices are way too hot.

Definitely think Darnold is possible now, would have to be no more than a 3rd and conditional 2022 pick. 

Or we draft a a lesser prospect like Trask.

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Whats happening now is not sustainable for the NFL. Not the owners, not the teams, not the players. Whats happening now won't last. Its a bubble. Offenses are going to start dumbing down the QB position. The position is depleted. Outside of Watson and Mahommes you've got 32+ yo guys acting like kings. A bubble, a phase, whatever. 

I don’t know man. I don’t think you can dumb down the QB position and still be successful. We have a very large sample size and we know that making good decisions with the football is the way to win the NFL and if you make good decisions with the football, you get to marry Giselle.

• Haha 2

For those of you who have any reservations about TH continuing to play the way he did against the Bucs -- you can rest easy. I watched him for four years at ODU. He threw for just under 15,000 yards and 132 TDs, completed 67.7% of his passes, and ran for 1,322 yards and 22 TDs. In one game, he threw for 730 yards and 5 TDs. My point is -- what you saw him do against the Bucs is just a reflection of what ODU fans saw for four years. On top of that, he is one of the most humble and likable star athletes I have ever seen, and he is a team player -- he cannot even say prima donna. I predict he will be the starter for a significant number of years, he will be very successful, and he will make WFT fans extremely happy. That's just who he is.

Oh, as for protecting himself from injuries. He played a lot of baseball in high school and knows how to slide. I saw him avoid many a hit with a beautiful slide to finish off a run -- more times than I can count. Rest easy, guys. We have ourselves a winner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

" he'd been told there will be an open competition for the starting QB position when camp opens. "

That leads me to believe, I wouldn't expect any blockbuster moves from Washington. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

My guess is we won't be going after a Carr or Mariota type player. You still have to keep a guy like Watson on the table though he's too much of a game changer.

Not sure I agree. 

I do not believe anything is off the table just because they sign a back-up QB to a back-up contract. Saying he will be able to compete honestly does not really mean much. It would not be the first time a FO said one thing in Feb and something completely different a few weeks, months, maybe even days later. Also, if you have a competition you need to bring in said competition. I can hear it now - "sorty, we meant it when we said it, but when you can get....." that changes things. And he will have $8M reasons to be happy anyway. 

I do not mean any of this in a negative way. It's a business so they make business decisions. I liek Taylor. Hope he becasue the next Warner. But realistically that's very unlikely. So you do what you have to. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke is a great interview.  I listened to the whole thing.  He comes off smart, articulate, humble. 

One cool quote that I didn't see anyone tweet was him saying when asked about the love he got from Chase Young was he thought part of that was driven by him being seen studying like crazy in the locker room leading up to the game.

I heard that the incentives are somewhat based on games he ends up playing.

He is also super smart to be getting a math degree.  Will memorize plays without difficulty.   I think Alex Smith has a photographic memory.   Rivera going after guys

who will not make him look stupid.   Wentz is also supposed to be intelligent only his problem is he thinks he knows it all.

• Like 1

Great news, he certainly earned it, and I think this sets the team up well to be in a position they can pursue a good deal on a very good QB, but dont HAVE to get someone if all of the deals turn out to be too expensive.  Him and KA can do okay if you bring in more talent around them.  If they go out and get a top QB, you cant help but feel good about the backup situation if the #1 goes down to injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Man you guys are just slamming me with those logic bombs, over and over while I struggle to drag my, "hunch", "Jets ruined him," and, "take lock" ever more slowly forward. I think this is my Thermypolae. 

I request a mandate that these stats be met with the full 32 players and previous 3 years of data to compare ;) 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think that's likely the key for him, can he stay healthy?  Like I've been saying this whole time, my cues on Heinicke for better or worse will be driven by Ron.  He knows him better than we do clearly.  He goes back years with him. 

I don't get the impression that what happens here changes though their plans in any way.  Ron talked about valuing a high end back up.

Keim said a little while ago on the air he expected Heinicke and Allen back.  Alex is the wildcard, he's guessing he's gone and will be replaced with someone new.  But if he returns it would be under a new cap figure versus the stats quo. 

With the outrageous prices (draft picks) teams have set for the vet starting QBs, RR and the F.O. staff are probably focusing more on the QBs in the draft.  

• Like 1

I absolutely love the signing of heinke...good job coach/management... I'm not even nowhere near concerned about him being injury-prone I absolutely love the idea of knowing that he will be in there competing in Camp

22 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

For those of you who have any reservations about TH continuing to play the way he did against the Bucs -- you can rest easy. I watched him for four years at ODU. He threw for just under 15,000 yards and 132 TDs, completed 67.7% of his passes, and ran for 1,322 yards and 22 TDs. In one game, he threw for 730 yards and 5 TDs. My point is -- what you saw him do against the Bucs is just a reflection of what ODU fans saw for four years. On top of that, he is one of the most humble and likable star athletes I have ever seen, and he is a team player -- he cannot even say prima donna. I predict he will be the starter for a significant number of years, he will be very successful, and he will make WFT fans extremely happy. That's just who he is.

Oh, as for protecting himself from injuries. He played a lot of baseball in high school and knows how to slide. I saw him avoid many a hit with a beautiful slide to finish off a run -- more times than I can count. Rest easy, guys. We have ourselves a winner.

Sooooo I'm safe to pre order his jersey?

• Haha 2

I expected Heinecke back, but it's funny how seeing the deal/size has gotten me re-excited about the prospect of him being the "diamond in the rough" ... I know he isn't ... the odds say he isn't/won't be. But he's definitely fun to root for and is a spark on the field. If we roll into the season with Heinecke, Allen and a rookie QB I would be oddly excited. Simply because he seems like a guy the team rallies around, and because it would be the cheapest option.

If we go into the season with Heinecke/Allen/Newman, for example ... or Bucheuele (Sp) or Mond ... that means we probably spent our FA and draft resources on the building out the rest of the team.

Trade #19 for a 2 and a future 1st. Use 2/2/3/3/4 on WR, LB, TE, QB, CB, OT ... sign a WR, LB, FS, Scherff/Darby ... have 2 #1s next year to trade up for a QB if Heinecke/Newman/Allen don't get it done. That's probably my preferred option, but know it won't happen like that.

• Like 1

OK from a Keim podcast and one where he interviewed Ron.  My takeaways:

A.  He knows they like Carr.

B.  He doesn't know if they like Darnold or not but some NFL: observers assume they would in part because of his age

C.  They'd rather not trade a player in the mix of a deal

D.  If I heard this part right, got distracted when he talked about this:  They understand they might not be able to retain all the D lineman over the long haul so they might someday trade one for a pick.  I'll listen again to that part to make sure.

E.  They like Heinicke as backup.  Concern:  durability, how does he play when he does have something to lose

G.  If they can't pull off a QB this off season, next off season is on the table including trading down in this draft to build capital for the next draft

Ron interview

A.  He wants to explore every option at QB.  Cool with being aggressive but doesn't want to give up the store where he's on the wrong side of a lopsided trade

B.  He's big on leadership in ths mix of attributes for a QB

C.  He likes QBs who can find his way to win even when he's not playing hot.

D.  Some QBs can go up and down based on the momentum of a game.  If things go bad, the QB goes bad with it.  He likes Qbs that are even keeled and don't swing up and down with the momentum of the game. 

On that last 2 points, I've heard Ron elaborate on in multiple interviews.  Easier for me to make a baseball analogy to his point.  Ron seems to favor starting pitchers who can find a way to win even if they don't have their best stuff that day.  And he doesn't like pitchers who unravel when things start going awry. 

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I request a mandate that these stats be met with the full 32 players and previous 3 years of data to compare ;) 

Feel free to pull that data, it won't go well for Darnold. :ols:

16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Heinicke, Minshew, Mariota

LETS RIDE!

You mean this....

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  He knows they like Carr.

C.  They'd rather not trade a player in the mix of a deal

D.  If I heard this part right, got distracted when he talked about this.  They understand they might not be able to retain all the D lineman over the long haul so they might someday trade one for a pick.  I'll listen again to that part to make sue

Gruden and Mayock really wanted to draft Montez Sweat. I would wager that would come up in any discussion we may have with the Raiders about a trade for Carr.

However, we clearly don’t want to go down that route this offseason as keeping the DL together has been a common message from the FO.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

He is also super smart to be getting a math degree.  Will memorize plays without difficulty.   I think Alex Smith has a photographic memory.   Rivera going after guys

who will not make him look stupid.   Wentz is also supposed to be intelligent only his problem is he thinks he knows it all.

Yeah I agree.  I've been supportive of the high sentiments about Heinicke among the Heinicke hive types.  My concern is durability.   I was glad to hear he seems self-aware on the subject, will see how it goes.