Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That is kind of my gut as well. Maybe try and trade up if Lance doesn't go by #4 ... (Detroit) ... give up a 1st next year. But you have to understand Lance isn't a legitimate option in 2021 given how raw he is.

Jones if he falls to #19 also makes sense, but again it probably depends on how the staff grades those two guys out. A QB for the sake of a QB isn't the right approach if the QB can't fit your system. Rivera and co. might prefer a Jamie Newman or Kellen Mond in R3 to Jones at #19.

But yes, I agree, unless Darrisaw, Slater, Lance, Waddle or Pitts fall to #19, I am probably leaning toward trading out of that pick. Grab an extra 2 if you can, a future 1st would be awesome if someone wants to come up for a QB. An early 2nd + 2022 1st would be amazing, especially if we go into the draft having signed a WR and LB and have Scherff/Darby in the fold as re-signs. Gives you some real flexibility in the draft and adds future assets to address QB in 2022.

No chance I am trading 2 first rounders for Lance. He is purely a project QB. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't recall that?  I recall posting maybe they could or should because of....

You sure the article said they are in on Mac?

I could be wrong, SIP.  I don't want to go down that road again.  I apologize.  :)  Like HigSkin said, 'We'll see".  

Just now, clskinsfan said:

No chance I am trading 2 first rounders for Lance. He is purely a project QB. 

It's Wilson or bust if I'm trading up that high. If he's gone, see what's going on in the mid teens and try for Mac Jones. If he's gone, focus on LB or LT. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Back to shopping at the dollar store.  LOL  Seriously, this is a good analysis by Mark.  If you take the time to read it, you'll see all the bad with a bit of good.

I read it.  It struck me at best lukewarm.  He came off much more enthusiastic on Mariota when he did the write up on him.  I like Bullock but he was also the same dude who sold hard that Haskins was a franchise QB. 

These points he made in the mix, I don't think is easily coached out of a player especially one who has been like this now going back to his college career.  His summary is he's worth a cheap gamble on.  I am ok with just about any QBs being discussed here even Darnold on cheap gamble.  But "cheap" isn't what's expected to happen here.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/quarterback-evaluation-sam-darnold?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Darnold can’t get away with consistently poor decision making at the NFL level, or he’ll continue to get punished with interceptions. Another alarming trait is that some of Darnold’s interceptions came on similar concepts.

Recurring interceptions is a worrying sign for a young quarterback, especially on a concept that is designed to be simple. My friend Seth Galina did a good breakdown on Twitter before Darnold was drafted of his struggles with the smash concept, which works on a very similar premise to the corner-flat concept. For that issue to still be a problem in Darnold’s third year in the league is concerning to say the least.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I could be wrong, SIP.  I don't want to go down that road again.  I apologize.  :)  Like HigSkin said, 'We'll see".  

Nothing to be sorry about.  But yeah there have been a lot of speculation of what they should be in on or might be in on.  I don't recall a report that anyone knows if they are in on Mac Jones.  But that stuff can be easily confused.  Heck even the Darnold stuff is predicated on Rapoport saying he thinks they would be in on him since they are in on getting a QB in general.  That's all pretty vague. 

Having said that, you've refreshed my memory on some things to add that I recall from Keim's podcasts which I didn't mention earlier today:

A.  Keim mentioned he knows they have zeroed in hard on 5 QBs this off season but said he didn't know who the 5 are.

B.  To your guy, Mac Jones, Nagy was on his podcast and he talked about him from the Senior Bowl.  He said he was impressed about how quickly he can process plays and make decisions and stood out over the other QBs there on that front.  Sounds like he interviewed really well, too.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m could see a move for Mac Jones, to go alongside Heinicke and Allen in open competition.

I mean, almost 350 pages and the most likely outcome seems to be Alex Smith on a reduced terms deal, Heinicke and Allen re-signed...:rofl89:

Drafting a QB in Round 1 is kind of a weighted competition though.  Jones would be starting unless he showed serious signs of not getting the playbook/concepts.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nothing to be sorry about.  But yeah there have been a lot of speculation of what they should be in on or might be on it.  I don't recall a report that anyone knows if they are in on Mac Jones.  But that stuff can be easily confused.  Heck even the Darnold stuff is predicated on Rapoport saying he thinks they would be in on him since they are in on getting a QB in general.  That's all pretty vague. 

Having said that, you've refreshed my memory on some things to add that I recall from Keim's podcasts which I didn't mention earlier today:

A.  Keim mentioned he knows they have zeroed in hard on 5 QBs this off season but said he didn't know who the 5 are.

B.  To your guy, Mac Jones, Nagy was on his podcast and he talked about him from the Senior Bowl.  He said he was impressed about how quickly he can process plays and make decisions and stood out over the other QBs there on that front.  Sounds like he interviewed really well, too.   

This is why I like Jones as much as I do.  Not the athletics but the other attributes he has. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There's the Denver beatwriter whose pretty clued in to what that team wants to do in the draft, who said they were deadset on Mac Jones.  But since then some of the Broncos Front Office has been reshuffled.  So might not still be true.

Denver picks 9th.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There's the Denver beatwriter whose pretty clued in to what that team wants to do in the draft, who said they were deadset on Mac Jones.  But since then some of the Broncos Front Office has been reshuffled.  So might not still be true.

Denver picks 9th.

Agreed, recall reading that about Jones to Denver, even before the latest hype kicked in.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

This is why I like Jones as much as I do.  Not the athletics but the other attributes he has. 

I am good with Mac Jones, if they are good on him.  I tend to be decisive on most QBs for better or worse.   I can't quite make up my mind about Jones.  I was the same way more or less about Drew Lock 2 years ago, where I was wishy washy on him, too.  And kept changing my mind.  

But I'll just say anyone here who likes Mac Jones and sells him -- none of it bugs me, i can roll with it if i must.  I am just not sold on Mac where I feel compelled to sell him myself.

One of the things I like the most about Mac is how he looks off safeties (not always but he does plenty enough for me) and uses his body language to misdirect defenses.  That's very Peyton like on that front.  It makes him come off to me like a smart player.    It's something I don't see for example from Darnold.  It doesn't surprise me that Darnold throws so many picks considering he stares directly at his targets.  Mac Jones seems advanced for a young dude as to using his eyes and body language. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Drafting a QB in Round 1 is kind of a weighted competition though.  Jones would be starting unless he showed serious signs of not getting the playbook/concepts.

I do think this is also true, however Rivera has said that he regrets not letting all his QBs have a fair crack last offseason, and this year would be different.

I mean, Mariotta for example is due big money, say we trade a mid round pick for him and he comes in on twice the contract of Heinicke. Kind of similar perceived weighting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am good with Mac Jones, if they are good on him.  I tend to be decisive on most QBs for better or worse.   I can't quite make up my mind about Jones.  I was the same way more or less about Drew Lock 2 years ago, where I was wishy washy on him, too.  And kept changing my mind.  

But I'll just say anyone here who likes Mac Jones and sells him -- none of it bugs me, i can roll with it if i must.  I am just not sold on Mac where I feel compelled to sell him myself.

One of the things I like the most about Mac is how he looks off safeties (not always but he does plenty enough for me) and uses his body language to misdirect defenses.  That's very Peyton like on that front.  It makes him come off to me like a smart player.    It's something I don't see for example from Darnold.  It doesn't surprise me that Darnold throws so many picks considering he stares directly at his targets.  Mac Jones seems advanced for a young dude as to using his eyes and body language. 

Bolded is why I like him as a fit for what RR and what he may be looking at in a QB.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

There is no way in the wide world of sports that RR is interested in Darnold. At least I hope not! I'll pass (which is more than Darnold can do).

Well, just to balance out the notion that Heinicke and the other QBs we end up having will be in an open competition, I actually think Darnold becomes a likely acquisition in that situation. I think Darnold, Heinicke and Allen becomes a completely open battle.

If we trade for Carr, there simply is no competition is there?

Ultimately, I suspect Rivera’s use of the term competition should not be taken literally nor applied equally to all scenarios. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nothing to be sorry about.  But yeah there have been a lot of speculation of what they should be in on or might be in on.  I don't recall a report that anyone knows if they are in on Mac Jones.  But that stuff can be easily confused.  Heck even the Darnold stuff is predicated on Rapoport saying he thinks they would be in on him since they are in on getting a QB in general.  That's all pretty vague. 

I'd say Stafford was definitely one of the 5 QBs we zeroed in on and wanted. So basically 4 more guys left that we don't really know, I'd say Carr is probably another but it sounds like he's unavailable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd say Stafford was definitely one of the 5 QBs we zeroed in on and wanted. So basically 4 more guys left that we don't really know, I'd say Carr is probably another but it sounds like he's unavailable. 

I hope Wentz is not and JP said he wasn't.  I agree that Carr was one but his brother said he's off the market.   Who the other 3 are that have been mentioned is Darnold, Mariota, Watson but I don't think the Texans let him go w/o a king's ransom which RR is not going to do. 

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Goff was named as another