Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

38 minutes ago, profusion said:

I'm already sold that Haskins has real NFL potential. It's the off-season that will be telling. If he comes into OTAs with some shiny new footwork, then we'll know we're really on the right track.

Lamar Jackson and Jared Goff are two guys who made considerable leaps from year 1 to year 2.  I have no doubts that Dwayne will put in the work.  I'm excited for his potential. 

56 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I hope Haskins turns out to be the answer for sure and that the Redskins don’t have to spend the resources on another quarterback. I definitely liked his performance today. Just responding to a previous post that  was kind of downplaying Lawrence.I personally think Lawrence is going to be a top five quarterback in the league, baring injury.

You might be right. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Throwing on first down I think helped.  The run-run-throw thing makes the offense predictable and Haskins much easier to stop.  

Absolutely.  He also seemed to get the ball out quicker, had quick throws called, etc.  

1 hour ago, skinbuck said:

The trend is all the reason for the optimism.

remember when his college tape used to tell he can’t handle pressure well? That feels like distant history now.

6ish weeks ago: cant operate the game and run the offense 

3-4 weeks ago: wildly inaccurate

1-2 weeks ago: takes too many sacks and is slow in processing 

it’s not about this one breakout game. It’s all about the trend. Undeniable 

This is a nice macro view to keep in mind.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

One thing I noticed: when Haskins sets his feet, commits and makes firm throws, he is very good.

But too often he backpedals too much or is throwing off his backfoot or doing some kinda jump throw garbage and the ball goes all over the place.

Clean that up and he can be a good QB. Not sure he'll ever be an elite top 5 guy though, those guys are pretty much really good right from the start and then only get better.

Yeah, when he has some time/space and sets his feet, he’s quite good at finding his guy and ripping it.  He’s also avoided rushes and slung it well at times, but his mechanics seem less consistent in these instances.  He also sometimes doesn’t set himself when he does have time to do so.  Bottom line, he needs to become more consistent with his mechanics.  I do think he’s improved in this area though, which is a great sign.  

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

that’s always the hard part. They always catch up to what you like. You have to find a way to dictate it and you can’t do that by yourself. 

Right now, I’d just blitz the heck out of him if I were a DC... which is why I really liked seeing Haskins get the ball out pretty quickly today. 
You can combat this of course (IMO) by calling quick throws, running max protect, and successfully running the ball.  Gotta have personnel that can make teams pay for taking guys out of coverage though.  So we need to build a solid oline and makes sure we have the weapons.  It’s been mentioned a bunch, but we would probably be a lot better off with a TE that can release and get open (and catch) and a back that’s a weapon out of the backfield (but can also handle blocking duties).  AP has done well enough when his number is called, but I believe a back like Guice (and hopefully Love) is valuable as a do-it-all back with the speed to stress defenses.  Sprinkle has done ok at times (not the best blocker and not the surest hands), but we could really use an Ertz/Witten type.  

On a related note - I hope we get to see Ferguson some more in the next two weeks.  Feels like Smallwood never picked up more than 3 yards on a carry, and Thompson’s injury prone, semi-pricey and hitting FA, so it would be great for us if Ferguson showed some ability as an all around back with the juice to hit some big plays.  He’s probably not (at all) suited to a feature back role, but it would be great if he can run the ball (between the tackles) a bit better than Thompson.  Don‘t want to get ahead of myself here, but he could save us the mid round pick we’ve been talking about.  

I love what Haskins said in that quote "I'm nowhere where I want to be, that should be an average game for me." That's absolutely the kind of attitude he should have. He should never be satisfied with a performance, especially during a loss. Great game by him today, easily the best one he's had in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

All rookie WR corps.

No TE to speak of.

Yeah that's another thing to keep in mind. His entire WR corps is composed of rookies right now (outside of Quinn who is close to a rookie and who's out with a concussion), all of whom are going to be going through many of the same growing pains at the same time (outside of McLauren, who seems to just be a complete freak and already plays like a less refined Antonio Brown). And not having a single good pass catching TE is a **** situation as well, especially for a rookie, because those tend to be the guys who are a safety valve. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I love what Haskins said in that quote "I'm nowhere where I want to be, that should be an average game for me." That's absolutely the kind of attitude he should have. He should never be satisfied with a performance, especially during a loss. Great game by him today, easily the best one he's had in my opinion. 

The “I’m a closer” as well as the passive-aggressive & cryptic ‘my wrist is hurt.. my wrist is fine’ was all, to me, a 22 yo doing 22yo things in the face of hostility and negativity all around him, likely for the first time ever in his athletic career..

With the comfort of some small successes to build on, as well as the rapid growing-up he’s experiencing, I believe these types of responses should be more of the norm moving forward 

I thought the Rook looked great today.  He was composed, accurate, and didn't take sacks.  He went toe to toe with Carson Wentz.  He put up 27 points and led scoring drives in the 4th quarter.  Congrats to him on continuing to work. What we saw today is what I believe to be his floor. Keep working young fella!

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

All rookie WR corps.

No TE to speak of.

OL about to get real young and green too.  Same for the backfield.

We will take lumps but it's a group that has talent and they can grow up together.  Haskins can become their leader.  We've got to get some more bodies though.  The OL isn't good enough and neither is the wr group.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This was the game we’ve been begging for. Very good performance today...outside of that debacle on the last play 

HOnestly today just makes me raise the bar. I want to see a 3TD 300 yard day. I thought him either at halftime or in the 4th going down the field to score a TD would have sealed this game. I'm not mad we lost because (more than draft picks) I'm all about young players developing and this was a nice step in the process. But like Haskins said, I don't want this to be a "good game" for him. True as hell Sims had some critical drops today (including 2 on the next to last drive in the 4th) but at the end of the day we lost and I don't put that all on Haskins I do want to see him get some come from behind wins in here and I want him to become a thorn in the Eagles/Cowboys/Giants side like Dak.Wentz.Eli  have been for us (well, not so much Eli). 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Right now, I’d just blitz the heck out of him if I were a DC... which is why I really liked seeing Haskins get the ball out pretty quickly today. 
 You can combat this of course (IMO) by calling quick throws, running max protect, and successfully running the ball.  Gotta have personnel that can make teams pay for taking guys out of coverage though.  So we need to build a solid oline and makes sure we have the weapons.  It’s been mentioned a bunch, but we would probably be a lot better off with a TE that can release and get open (and catch) and a back that’s a weapon out of the backfield (but can also handle blocking duties).  AP has done well enough when his number is called, but I believe a back like Guice (and hopefully Love) is valuable as a do-it-all back with the speed to stress defenses.  Sprinkle has done ok at times (not the best blocker and not the surest hands), but we could really use an Ertz/Witten type.  

I think the script has been to blitz him (from kinda random places) and confuse him to mess up his blocking / timing. That's why I loved seeing us go to Sims more because he was consistently winning the underneath routes and provided an outlet for Haskins. Now that he's on tape not just winning those routes but winning them and getting the ball delivered to him, I think teams will take away both McLaurin and him and then Haskins will either not be blitzed as much, have one of them as options, or have to throw to another option (Harmon). 

I was so excited we signed Caleb Wilson. I don't know much about his abilities but in the draft I liked him as a late round guy because he had speed and production at a big college. Given that he was signed off another teams practice squad late in the week I figured he'd be inactive this week but maybe he gets some chances before the year is out. It will be interesting to see how the split in snaps went between Sprinkle, Hentges and the FB because for a second game in a row they weren't really a part of the passing game. I will give Sprinkle props because he did have two catches and no drops. But I think Wilson could be a nice roster stash at the end of the year and somebody to help us going into next year. 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

On a related note - I hope we get to see Ferguson some more in the next two weeks.  Feels like Smallwood never picked up more than 3 yards on a carry, and Thompson’s injury prone, semi-pricey and hitting FA, so it would be great for us if Ferguson showed some ability as an all around back with the juice to hit some big plays.  He’s probably not (at all) suited to a feature back role, but it would be great if he can run the ball (between the tackles) a bit better than Thompson.  Don‘t want to get ahead of myself here, but he could save us the mid round pick we’ve been talking about.  

This. 

I saw the HB Toss play and I was like AP is running a toss? But I was mistaken because the announcer called him AP. It was Ferguson. That was like a 6 yard run and I was like "this guy has potential". I know nothing about his ability to break tackles, pick up blocks or catch passes but I am more intrigued in him than Smallwood right now. 

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This was the game we’ve been begging for. Very good performance today...outside of that debacle on the last play 

You mean:

- Offense looking good/great and taking an early lead.

- D blowing up the lead late in the 3rd/early 4th.

- QB choking on the comeback.

I've seen that too many times those last years. That's casual Redskins' football mate :)

31 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You mean:

- Offense looking good/great and taking an early lead.

- D blowing up the lead late in the 3rd/early 4th.

- QB choking on the comeback.

I've seen that too many times those last years. That's casual Redskins' football mate :)

Definitely disagree with the QB choking.  There should have been timeouts used when the eagles got inside the ten.  He should have had over a minute to work with.

Then he completes a bunch of chunk plays down the stretch in a 20 second timetable to even give the team a chance, he gets blown up with six seconds left at the 40 yard line, how is that a choke exactly?

Callahan blew an extremely easy decision to call timeouts.  He's the head coach by way of our front office.  It's like a stack of dominoes and you're only looking at the absolute last domino, which I would argue wasn't even a "domino" in my convoluted analogy

And yeah, not driving 80 yards in twenty seconds isn't a choke,what the hell are you smoking?  I just want to be really clear how much I disagree with that sentiment 

On 12/15/2019 at 7:39 AM, skinbuck said:

A performance somewhat along the lines of:

17/27, 225 yards, 2TD, No INT, No fumbles (lost or otherwise), 2 or less sacks and a 4th quarter TD drive in a competitive game would be a good enough high watermark for the remaining 3 games. I don’t envision anything better, but would want to see atleast this.

You pretty much nailed it here. He finished 19/28, 261 yards, 2TD, no INT, 1 fumble lost, 0 sacks.

8 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Lawrence just turned 20 in October and has all kinds of raw ability. Could turn out to be better than Andrew. He is 6 foot six and pretty mobile with a great arm.If Haskins doesn’t work out and the Redskins had a chance to draft him I would be all in!

yes...u got a chance to draft Lawrence...u draft Lawrance...easier pick than that ou def end guy

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The OL isn't good enough and neither is the wr group.

I would definitely address TE before WR. I think the WR group could be good enough if there were one or two good/decent TEs. Just need a little veteran depth for the WR group. 

4 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

yes...u got a chance to draft Lawrence...u draft Lawrance...easier pick than that ou def end guy

The only problem you have with this is that it doesn't address the other positions of need on the offense. We have 1 WR. No TE. Bad OL and you wanna see two QBs compete? 

The smart play is still to let Haskins take the lumps, build a team that any QB could run around him, and then replace is ass if hes not working. If he is you win. 

That was the type of game I was waiting to see from Haskins all year (and also solidifies my belief that he should have been the starter week 1).  He finally had a game that showed growth in just about every area, but also showcased the potential he has for the future.  I know it was one game, but the flash was there to see a potential franchise quarterback.  

Archived