Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 12/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, NoCalMike said:

The QB position is just so tough to diagnose and predict ahead of time regardless of the scouting report on them coming out of college.  The Redskins don't have a great track record drafting QB's but it's not like they are the only ones. 

Well, I guess if we commit to DH, which seems likely, if he doesn't pan out we're gonna be having high picks for the foreseeable future and plenty of chances to grab more QB's. And you're right, we're far from the only ones to find a franchise QB. It's incredible, just when we thought we had one in RGlll it blew up as fast as it came. Dwayne is big and strong, if he puts in the work I think he can be the answer...I just wonder how long it will take and will he be a Redskin if/when he ever does develop. We REALLY need him to be great.

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

.... Dwayne is big and strong, if he puts in the work I think he can be the answer...

I wonder if the NFL is going in a different direction, ala Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. It would be so Redskins to still be thinking about things in a way that is antiquated and on its way out. 

3 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I wonder if the NFL is going in a different direction, ala Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. It would be so Redskins to still be thinking about things in a way that is antiquated and on its way out. 

Kyler and Lamar are special talents - or at least appear to be now. I doubt there is any move is a specific direction as much as they have specific skills. There will always be room for a traditional QB. And let's not sell Haskins short. He is not either one of those guys in terms of running by any means but he has shown much more mobility than he did in college. He has lost some weight and is making better decisions each week. You really do not have to be super fast to be effective running the ball as a QB, you need to pick your spots and make them pay when they let their guard down. 

Last but not least, can they both stay healthy with all that running? Jackson is stout enough that he has a better chance but when you expose yourself that much, things happen. That's the cycle right. A few truly gifted guys come out and make it look easy. But then you have 2 problems - they can rarely sustain it more than a few years and there are not that many guys coming out of college with the same skill set. 

53 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Lamar Jackson is 6’ 2” 212 (combine weight - he may have added a bit of weight since then). That’s not small but he’s not Cam Newton.

Then again you have to be able to catch him to hit him.

Fair enough but speed is not always enough. And it only takes one bad hit - of course that is with any player. But when you put yourself in harms way more, the likelihood gets higher. Even Cam Newton has had injury issues and as you said, Lamar is good size but he is not Cam. 

Back to the point I was responding to, I do not think Lamar and Kyler represent any league wide movement. I think it's two unique talents that their teams are taking advantage of those talents. 

49 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough but speed is not always enough. And it only takes one bad hit - of course that is with any player. But when you put yourself in harms way more, the likelihood gets higher. Even Cam Newton has had injury issues and as you said, Lamar is good size but he is not Cam. 

Back to the point I was responding to, I do not think Lamar and Kyler represent any league wide movement. I think it's two unique talents that their teams are taking advantage of those talents. 

To be fair, Lamar plays different than Cam or Griffin. Lamar is more like Russell Wilson as it pertains to his ability to avoid hits. Wilson is obviously better at throwing the football. Lamar is better at running the ball. 

Cam likes to run over people and accepts contact. Griffin didn't know how to get down.

Josh Allen is a better Cam comparison than Jackson.

Jackson plays a lot like Vick, but even then, he's better at avoiding the hits. 

Kyler Mururay is similar to Lamar and Russell in the way he avoids contact.

But I'd argue this is a league wide movement, it's just the different abilities...

Kyler Murray

Josh Allen

Russell Wilson

Cam Newton

Lamar Jackson

Patrick Mahomes (not known for his running, but make no mistake, he's a mobile guy that can)

Mitch Trubisky

Aaron Rodgers (again, not like the main guys being listed, but has the mobility and escapability)

Carson Wentz (same as Rodgers)

Deshaun Watson (who I think is a better comp to a guy like Griffin for the beatings he takes)

That's a third of the league. I'd imagine to find more guys that can move (not necessarily rushing ability in the sense of yards/carries, but more mobility)

The Ravens are even more intelligent because they took the offense, designed it around Jackson, and then made his back up Griffin.

But even though I do believe its a trend, I don't think it's going to be a league-wide.

I dont think Lamar or Kyler are unique talents at all to be honest. I think they just found themselves in a good position with people willing to use their talents to their advantage. I think in the future there will be many more of these guys. Remember, many of us thought no one would replicate Vick. Or Griffin. There are alot of guys out there that are told to play WR cause they are too fast to waste their talents at QB (thats the nice way to say it) 

I also dont think the NFL will ever evolve past a pocket QB that can throw with timing, accuracy, read a defense and command his offense like hes playing madden. They may have to become more Payton Manning than Eli, but as long as they have those traits I dont see how you can stop them. 

Thats the NFL I wanna see lol. Half Paytons half Lamars lolol. I would watch every game. 

Before the thread was closed, it was asked today if Haskins should sit for the 2 remaining games?

No, Hell no, is my answer.  Especially, after Haskins had his best game as a pro.  Let him finish the season. We need more tape on him for the next coach and gm or gm personal type guy to evaluate him.

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

I dont think Lamar or Kyler are unique talents at all to be honest. I think they just found themselves in a good position with people willing to use their talents to their advantage. I think in the future there will be many more of these guys. Remember, many of us thought no one would replicate Vick. Or Griffin. There are alot of guys out there that are told to play WR cause they are too fast to waste their talents at QB (thats the nice way to say it) 

I also dont think the NFL will ever evolve past a pocket QB that can throw with timing, accuracy, read a defense and command his offense like hes playing madden. They may have to become more Payton Manning than Eli, but as long as they have those traits I dont see how you can stop them. 

Thats the NFL I wanna see lol. Half Paytons half Lamars lolol. I would watch every game. 

Hurts from Oklahoma is next....Lets see who scoops him up.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, Warhead36 said:

We don't need an elite TE, just someone who can block and make the occasional catch and steal first downs here and there with cheap 7-8 yard plays.

But good TEs are available in the middle rounds everywhere. Guys like Kelce, Kittle, even our own Reed were drafted in the 3rd round.

Had no idea Kelce and Kittle were third rounders 

Kittle totally carried me in FF last year 

Pretty sure Cooley was a third rounder too, and he was a total stud, regardless of what anyone thinks about his broadcasting career (which I think he's pretty good at, for the record

Well then, it's been announced, Jones is starting.  It's the first matchup between Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins.  This should be interesting.  Cue kneejerk reactions in 5...4...3...2...

I can see it now.  QB A wins the coin toss and gets the ball first.  QB A throws a 5 yard pass to a WR whose defender is 10 yards off, and the internet blows up in fury declaring that QB B is vastly inferior despite not even getting the football yet.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Well then, it's been announced, Jones is starting.  It's the first matchup between Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins.  This should be interesting.  Cue kneejerk reactions in 5...4...3...2...

I can see it now.  QB A wins the coin toss and gets the ball first.  QB A throws a 5 yard pass to a WR whose defender is 10 yards off, and the internet blows up in fury declaring that QB B is vastly inferior despite not even getting the football yet.

its going to be like that until one of them is consistent for a few years straight or one wins a title so you might as well lie to yourself and say you enjoy it lol

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Like anyone will be watching this game.

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Damn, Haskins is a tough one to call.

I think I'm warming to him though. Just don't beat the Giants whilst still looking half decent please.

My dream scenario is him absolutely shredding the Giants but Manusky being really stupid with his calls causing us to lose, or maybe some special teams TDs given up.

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

My dream scenario is him absolutely shredding the Giants but Manusky being really stupid with his calls causing us to lose, or maybe some special teams TDs given up.

Yeh id take a shoot out loss, just get Terry Mc in the endzone a couple of times and put up 300+yards.

Archived