Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Today's game is a great example of what it means for a physically gifted, but inexperienced QB to be in the middle of development.   Haskins has the best game of his young career. Looked in command of the offense, played with urgency and confidence.  He also missed some gimmes out there.   It needs to be accepted that Haskins good or bad, is simply inexperienced.  He isn't going to magically turn into a great QB in a month or two.  It will take time.  Today he showed signs of growth but also that he still has a ton to learn and improve in his game.

I think it is also fair to wonder  how different Haskins's stats and overall game is viewed has Sims not dropped the dime dropped into his chest over the top and had he converted the 1st down the way an NFL WR should have.  Those two bad plays by Sims made a huge difference in a game that was so close. 

Considering his experience at the QB position, I don't think there is too much to be critical about as far as today's game goes. 

On a sidenote: I have no idea what Urban Meyer told Haskins during the week, but can Snyder hire him to hang around the stadium every week?

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Naw they really don’t they just need to stay away for a week so we can have an actual conversation about QB play. Negatives and positives both welcome but we could use a week without the obvious butt hurt and bias. 

Lets see what happens. Still a few minutes left and it looks like he may get the ball back with like a minute left. 

He’s growing is my point.  Would he have played like this two weeks ago?

That was a really promising game by Haskins today, the key is to maintain some consistency in the last 2 games but I like the way he is trending.

I'm glad we didn't sit him all year, he's not being scarred for life or any of the other narratives you heard from around the league, he's getting better.

Huge Haskins doubter as you all know, but that is the type of performance that I think one could hang their hat on as a promising rookie QB performance - some excellent throws peppered in with some questionable ones.  Overall, color me surprised but I was impressed by DH today

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

That was a really promising game by Haskins today, the key is to maintain some consistency in the last 2 games but I like the way he is trending.

I'm glad we didn't sit him all year, he's not being scarred for life or any of the other narratives you heard from around the league, he's getting better.

I was definitely worried playing him was going to ruin him. But I had no idea how bad he needed the experience. He was pretty bad on his first try out there. Seeing where he is today it’s obvious I was wrong about that. It was obvious I was wrong weeks ago though. 

1 minute ago, ggarriso said:

Huge Haskins doubter as you all know, but that is the type of performance that I think one could hang their hat on as a promising rookie QB performance - some excellent throws peppered in with some questionable ones.  Overall, color me surprised but I was impressed by DH today

I don’t even know you anymore

That was a hell of a game. His best by far. I really liked the read-option keeper too. Plus we kept our draft position. Pretty much great game, Besides McLaurin I’m not buying into any of the other receivers, so it’s even more impressive with no legit TE and 1 legit WR.

This is the first game I've seen him look like he's doing more than running the offense on rails. It's only one game, but with 2 more to go, I hope he shows more. If the defense or Sims had held, he'd even have a 3-3 record. I'd have never believed it after his Giants game.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

Like this statement.

A big contrast to his "I'm a closer" press conference. I'm sure winning makes a big difference on how he feels about the stats, but I like that he's more thoughtful of it all the same. Definitely comes off as a lot more teachable.

Haskins game today is very similar to the kind of games Dak Prescott would have his rookie year on the Cowboys and  be praised all over the media for.  The difference is that Cowboys team was better than the Redskins so these kind of performances were wins instead of losses.  You can say the same about a QB like Jimmy G who has plenty of 200ish yard, 2 TD games, where he doesn't look spectacular but did enough to manage the game and allow the defense and running game to secure the win.

We can't overlook the fact that this wasn't a playoff bound team prior to Haskins being named the starter.  Yes, Haskins is the QB and will always hold a bigger responsibility for wins & losses which is par for the course, however performances like today are about all you can expect from a rookie QB on a bad team who is way more inexperienced than most of the other drafted QBs. 

46 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Today's game is a great example of what it means for a physically gifted, but inexperienced QB to be in the middle of development.   Haskins has the best game of his young career. Looked in command of the offense, played with urgency and confidence.  He also missed some gimmes out there.   It needs to be accepted that Haskins good or bad, is simply inexperienced.  He isn't going to magically turn into a great QB in a month or two.  It will take time.  Today he showed signs of growth but also that he still has a ton to learn and improve in his game.

I think it is also fair to wonder  how different Haskins's stats and overall game is viewed has Sims not dropped the dime dropped into his chest over the top and had he converted the 1st down the way an NFL WR should have.  Those two bad plays by Sims made a huge difference in a game that was so close. 

Considering his experience at the QB position, I don't think there is too much to be critical about as far as today's game goes. 

On a sidenote: I have no idea what Urban Meyer told Haskins during the week, but can Snyder hire him to hang around the stadium every week?

Didn’t he hire him as a consultant?

Sorry to quote text haven’t figured out how to quote certain text.

4 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

This game showed me more than anything that the play calling was really holding him back. Let him rip it out there. He’s got the talent and brain to do it

I think in general we just didn't commit to him. Imagine if from day one we said: "Haskins is our starter." Let him get all the starter reps from minicamp on. Develop a system surrounding his strengths. I'm not saying he'd be Lamar Jackson, but he'd probably be even further ahead right now.

It takes a village to raise a QB. Unfortunately our village is mostly idiots.

Just now, profusion said:

I'd say this performance puts an end to drafting a first round QB in the upcoming draft. Wouldn't surprise me if they get a guy in the lower rounds.

It certainly helps. I'd say Haskins has to continue to prove that he's trending upwards.  Then again, with Tua being damaged goods and Burrows almost certainly going first, I think that makes the decision easier on the front office.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

It certainly helps. I'd say Haskins has to continue to prove that he's trending upwards.  Then again, with Tua being damaged goods and Burrows almost certainly going first, I think that makes the decision easier on the front office.

Yeah, that's my thinking. If the Skins somehow drafted first, it'd be hard to turn down Burrows.

Archived