Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

The problem with the passing offense is two-fold, but it seems like the anti-Alex folks want to pin it all just on him.

Look at the passes he completed to WR's today, most of them were throws he was forcing in there and letting the WR's try to make plays.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but you can't honestly think those kinds of receptions can be the norm on a consistent basis and not lead to increased turnovers due to tipped passes and better defenders making plays.

Of course sometimes a QB is going to force a ball in there and let the WR make a play, but look around the league and the majority of passes thrown/completed are when someone beats their individual match up. 

Funny how when the tight ends were actually shaking defenders and winning match ups, Smith didn't seem to have an issue throwing the ball to them.

Also, the O-line was pretty bad today, understandably so with the injuries, but that is going to hurt the passing offense, just a fact. 

Smith obviously needs to be better, but with the current WR core, there is a hard ceiling on how productive it can be.  If anything I am more disappointed that between Reed/Davis/Sprinkle....the TE production has been pedestrian.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I've been crushing Alex all year but I'm an equal opportunity hater and I just can't put this on him, yes he's overpaid and yes he's boring but the run game was hideous and we got called for 8 holds, WTF is that?  It seemed like every time we made a play it was called back, also those 2 drops by JD on that 2nd drive killed us.

Then you have a defense getting gashed by RB's who haven't done anything all year, 150 yards in penalties, who can win with that?

I can't believe I'm sticking up for DJ checkdown but come on, that game was unwinnable due to the run game, penalties, and a defense that played so poorly they should be embarrassed.

I am sort of with this same position.   I don't think he played great or even good.  But I think he was OK.  And, he had some moments here and there that I liked especially that long scramble.  Nice TD pass to Doctson.   Ironically, I think he played better than he did in the last three games they won.  I am though in the camp that Qbs don't win or lose games period. 

My issue is and I said this before this game started -- can an offense that is "meh" more or less for the more of the season with the passing game keep pace with a team that can get ahead and fling the ball?   Dallas, NY Giants, Carolina aren't really about explosive passing games.  We are facing three teams in a row who can fling the ball in the air.    And was the NO game an aberration or a road map for teams that can beat us -- explosive passing games where we are forced to keep pace.  Looks like that's a problem at the moment.   NO's defense at the time was horrendous and got right against us.  Now ditto with Atlanta's defense.

I think Alex on the aggregate has been below average this year and I don't think I am on a limb with that point.  I am more optimistic than some that he can get things right.  Having said all that my anger level at this loss in terms of Alex is at about a 0.    to me this was about the defense getting undressed again.  I worried a little bit this week because of all the hype they got -- i am waiting tomorrow to hear the token line from Swearinger that they got big headed and practiced without urgency. 

Not sure about Henson's overall point but the part about this team losing their edge after hype is becoming too common for me.

24 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I'm not pinning the loss on him.

He's just crap.

Yeah there's a difference between pinning a loss on a guy and saying that he wasn't very good and was one of many reasons we lost.

Alex wasn't very good and was one of many reasons we lost. He had a few nice throws but all in all he was the same blah Alex we've seen all season. Only reason he had more yards passing is because a lot of it came after ATL had a mostly insurmountable lead and was playing more prevent defense.

I think Alex is a capable QB, but I also think a lot of his success came as a Kansas City Chief under the coaching of Andy Reid, who is a genius who knows how to get the most out of players. I don't think Jay has been gameplanning to Alex's strengths. As we all know here, Jay is not exactly a master of adaptive gameplanning. It's a shame we couldn't see how he would have played under a guy like Shanny Jr. or McVey. All that said, ALex throws some balls that really make you scratch your head, which has nothing to do with coaching.   

I think it's safe to say, that Alex was not the primary reason we lost today. He was bad, just has he has been most of the season, but not Rex Grossman bad. The defense got completely undressed, that is why we lost. We had a couple of really bad drops early, and that certainly did not help.

But once they got up 2 scores, I knew we were finished. And that is mostly because of Alex.

Atlanta was smart, they dialed up to stop the run, and make Alex beat us. He's not going to do that very often, even to a bad defense.

1 minute ago, BraveWarrior said:

I think Alex is a capable QB, but I also think a lot of his success came as a Kansas City Chief under the coaching of Andy Reid, who is a genius who knows how to get the most out of players. I don't think Jay has been gameplanning to Alex's strengths. As we all know here, Jay is not exactly a master of adaptive gameplanning. It's a shame we couldn't see how he would have played under a guy like Shanny Jr. or McVey. All that said, ALex throws some balls that really make you scratch your head, which has nothing to do with coaching.   

Alex Smith is a backup at best.  This is the same guy that got his spot taken by Colin Kaepernick....  The QB who can't get a job in the NFL.  This is Smiths third team.  Calling him a capable QB is very kind of you.

Man I really wish we could have somehow jettisoned Jay and made Sean HC. We would have had to pay a ton of money to Jay for his contract but it would have been worth it to keep a coach like McVay long term. Jay is just so so bad at play calling. Not necessarily bad at play design but he just can't call a game to save his life.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The defense got completely undressed, that is why we lost.

Sure they are Number 1 for today. It was obvious that they were not suited for all those speed guys out there. Allen and Payne not getting any push against backups guards was mind boggling.

Injuries on our OL are Number 2.

Hard to get anything going when you're down to Rouillier as your only healthy OL out there.

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with the passing offense is two-fold, but it seems like the anti-Alex folks want to pin it all just on him.

Generalize much?  Alex throws a lot of inaccurate passes when they aren't easy.  Should we throw more passes to TEs over the middle, agreed, but teams know that's our strength right now.  When you're franchise qb limits what kind of passes you can throw because of what works best for him like that, that's not good.  

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Man I really wish we could have somehow jettisoned Jay and made Sean HC. We would have had to pay a ton of money to Jay for his contract but it would have been worth it to keep a coach like McVay long term. Jay is just so so bad at play calling. Not necessarily bad at play design but he just can't call a game to save his life.

Heh! While you were typing this I was writing a new thread just on this topic :cheers:

14 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Sure they are Number 1 for today. It was obvious that they were not suited for all those speed guys out there. Allen and Payne not getting any push against backups guards was mind boggling.

Injuries on our OL are Number 2.

Hard to get anything going when you're down to Rouillier as your only healthy OL out there.

Agreed. Although I didn't think that pass pro was as bad as it could have been, even with all the injuries. He had time today. He wasn't under siege like Eli was last week. It did kill off what run game we had though, and Atlanta was hell bent to snuff that out.

What was concerning was how much he looked like a guy that had no idea what he was doing back there. The happy feet. The slow windup. the inaccurate throws. And......I'm not sure if something happened in the off season, but I don't remember his arm being so weak. Balls fluttering, no zip at all on anything.

Honestly, he looked more like a Option QB from Oklahoma back in the 70's with his throws. Not a NFL QB.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to be a contrary voice.

I think Alex played pretty well today. He got hit really hard by drops. Worse, every time we got a first down the refs negated it. Usually, they threw the flag after the play was over once they realized they needed to prevent the first down. Considering the drops, the penalties, and that Alex was playing with less than half of a starting o line and without two of his major play makers... I thought he had a solid game.

I agree with this.  He had the deck stacked against him in a big way.  I actually thought he hung in there and did some good things.  When people were calling for Colt to be put in, I was thinking - no way, let him get a bunch of ‘extra’ reps (especially pushing the ball downfield more).  

And for the record, I have not been kind to Smith this year.  

Archived