Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smith just stinks. It’s that simple.  You were one of the folks saying this was a good move and it’s not.  So you’re taking the easy out by making it about Cousins.  I never liked Smith, before or after, he was brought in here.  So yeah, I’m going to talk about it.

I'm not making it easy? Do you read my posts or just pretend to? It's honestly annoying.

Smith has been bad. I've pretty much said that every week. I did think it would be a good move. It's not. Have you ever been wrong or are you a super savant?

Honestly, your agenda is exhausting.

He has one bright side right now. He's not turning the ball over. He has that over Cousins. BIG TIME. What he doesn't have? Accurate passing, throwing the ball down the field, leading receivers, getting rid of the ball in the pocket...

But you keep pushing your agenda. Some of us can admit when we make a mistake. Smith has not been good. I don't think I've said otherwise. The one constant I keep saying, "he doesn't turn the ball over".

And I've never denied what Kirk has done well. ;)

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This I disagree with. If he would do that we would be a much better offense. I wish he would get rid of it quickly. He seems to labor back there. I am not sure I have seen him yet just drop and throw. He is looking for his security blanket. 

Getting rid of it quickly and only throwing to an open man are not the same thing. He is not a rhythm passer because that would require him throwing to people who aren't open yet.

I haven't played the "I know more than everyone" card in possibly two years. But, I know more than everyone.

I will say this until he wins the Super Bowl, and then he is my hero. I despise the way Alex Smith plays football. It's cowardly BS football. I hated in San Francisco - as did Harbaugh, probably because Harbaugh was a mediocre QB at best who at least had the distinction of making every decision with his ball sack. I hate it in KC, and that year Fat Andy got him to throw deep should be the reason Andy gets in the Hall of Fame.

Players don't come here to be their best selves. So....there you go.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Good point. I'm not really sure we have enough of a Jay sample size to accurately judge just how good/bad he is as a developer of quarterbacks. McVay played a large role in all of this. Harbaugh and Reid on the other hand have more of a resume'.

Jay helped make Dalton a pro bowler in Cincy.  I would trust Jay with his own guy, but after 5 years showing how he does with the rest of the team, I don't think he's going to get the chance.

2 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

What I’m still confused about it is year after year they wanted to see more from Cousins.....and then boom all of a sudden they have seen enough to sign Smith for 90 million??? Makes Zero sense 

I think the decision makers were banking on a bunch of projections that.. look to all be pretty wrong. Really took a gamble, and it's looking ugly right about now.

I think they liked Smith's caution of turnovers. I think they felt that even though Washington had no Ty Hill and Kelce, that the production would still be pretty good.. which means they banked on guys like Richardson and Reed staying healthy. 

They banked on the OL somehow being good and healthy. They banked on the other in-house WRs stepping up and being healthy. They banked on Smith being more of a **** it and chuck it QB while also still retaining some smart turnover aversion. 

Like others had suggested.. once Cousins was a cloud of dust running for the door, they panicked for their job security. They bought in deep on Alex progressing with confidence, and somehow expected impact players to be good and healthy. Looks right now that this will cost them greatly, so maybe some can appreciate the silver lining that already loathed decision makers are bound to be fired over this. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not making it easy? Do you read my posts or just pretend to? It's honestly annoying.

Smith has been bad. I've pretty much said that every week. I did think it would be a good move. It's not. Have you ever been wrong or are you a super savant?

Honestly, your agenda is exhausting.

He has one bright side right now. He's not turning the ball over. He has that over Cousins. BIG TIME. What he doesn't have? Accurate passing, throwing the ball down the field, leading receivers, getting rid of the ball in the pocket...

But you keep pushing your agenda. Some of us can admit when we make a mistake. Smith has not been good. I don't think I've said otherwise. The one constant I keep saying, "he doesn't turn the ball over".

And I've never denied what Kirk has done well. ;)

Says the guy who likes to portray that I’m crazy.  I’m just making it up that folks here have said Alex was good.  Just like you pulled the same stuff about folks not hyping Alex up in the offseason.  I just made all that up.  It makes me wonder if you actually read the board with how you respond.  This is definitely not the first time pertaining to this very subject you’ve jumped in and played naive about what’s really being posted.  

I have absolutely been wrong and when I am, I eat the crow that goes with it.  

Several arguments in opposition of “he doesn’t turn it over” get posted and they go completely ignored by those with an agenda that our old QB turns it over in his sleep and the new one cares for the ball as if it’s a brick of solid gold.  Completely ignoring how often one QB is asked to drop back and pass vs. the other and how that impacts this “ball control” narrative that is desperately being held onto by the few of you who are left still hanging onto that.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Getting rid of it quickly and only throwing to an open man are not the same thing. He is not a rhythm passer because that would require him throwing to people who aren't open yet.

I haven't played the "I know more than everyone" card in possibly two years. But, I know more than everyone.

I will say this until he wins the Super Bowl, and then he is my hero. I despise the way Alex Smith plays football. It's cowardly BS football. I hated in San Francisco - as did Harbaugh, probably because Harbaugh was a mediocre QB at best who at least had the distinction of making every decision with his ball sack. I hate it in KC, and that year Fat Andy got him to throw deep should be the reason Andy gets in the Hall of Fame.

Makes you wonder, did the FO say "hey, he's a pro bowl QB, too" or actually watch film with Jay and ask him if he wanted the guy?  Think we all know the answer to that one.

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

I think the decision makers were banking on a bunch of projections that.. look to all be pretty wrong. Really took a gamble, and it's looking ugly right about now.

I think they liked Smith's caution of turnovers. I think they felt that even though Washington had no Ty Hill and Kelce, that the production would still be pretty good.. which means they banked on guys like Richardson and Reed staying healthy. 

They banked on the OL somehow being good and healthy. They banked on the other in-house WRs stepping up and being healthy. They banked on Smith being more of a **** it and chuck it QB while also still retaining some smart turnover aversion. 

Like others had suggested.. once Cousins was a cloud of dust running for the door, they panicked for their job security. They bought in deep on Alex progressing with confidence, and somehow expected impact players to be good and healthy. Looks right now that this will cost them greatly, so maybe some can appreciate the silver lining that already loathed decision makers are bound to be fired over this. 

I hope they all go like the end of the Godfather...

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Says the guy who likes to portray that I’m crazy.  

Never did that other than to say you're pushing an agenda against commentary that isn't there...

I’m just making it up that folks here have said Alex was good.  Just like you pulled the same stuff about folks not hyping Alex up in the offseason.  I just made all that up.  It makes me wonder if you actually read the board with how you respond.  This is definitely not the first time pertaining to this very subject you’ve jumped in and played naive about what’s really being posted.

Erm, what? Your point of view on my point of view is wrong. Nothing about playing naïve. I'll recap my full thoughts on the matter for you now:

I was never thrilled with Cousins' being prone to turnovers in big moments. I wanted to re-sign Cousins, but for much less than he wanted because I didn't think he was worth that large contract because his style of play hadn't proven to win games. I did, however, say repeatedly that I thought he was a top 10 QB in the NFL, but the difference between lower half of top 10 and 15-16 wasn't astronomincal. I thought Alex Smith was a schematic fit. I expected more playaction, more pocket movement, quicker releases. I thought that once Cousins was gone, signing Alex Smith could have been an upgrade based on the personnel strictly because he doesn't turn the ball over. Him not turning the ball over was accurate, and it has helped, but he does literally nothing else for us at the moment. He has some big moments, but for the most part its, "meh, well at least he's not going to turn the ball over". 

That has been my constant narrative as time progressed. I was wrong about the quicker releases, how he would be used, and his ability to get the ball to open receivers consistently.

Several arguments in opposition of “he doesn’t turn it over” get posted and they go completely ignored by those with an agenda that our old QB turns it over in his sleep and the new one cares for the ball as if it’s a brick of solid gold.  Completely ignoring how often one QB is asked to drop back and pass vs. the other and how that impacts this “ball control” narrative that is desperately being held onto by the few of you who are left still hanging onto that.

It's true, in my opinion. Cousins was a lot like Romo. Great QB. In big moments he found ways to make big mistakes. If I could rewind time I'd still re-sign Cousins way before the franchise tag debacle and we would have had him on a much fairer deal and he'd still be on the roster. But once his tag increased, he became not worth it due to how it effects the rest of the team. The Smith contract, however, is also not worth it given his performance.

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He is not a rhythm passer because that would require him throwing to people who aren't open yet.

I think you may be confusing what a rhythm passer is, versus what a anticipatory passer is.

Remember that pass that clunked off of Jordan Reed's helmet? that was anticipated throw from Smith, and you're right.. there are few of them from him. 

Rhythm is more of what happens when a QB is getting comfortable, finding some consecutive drive successes, and can relax a bit within the stretches of a game. That is pretty impossible to do so far, and for the most part, in DC. Someone is killing a drive with a penalty. Someone is dropping a 3rd down pass or running a crap route. Someone is calling mind-numbing formations and plays when they shouldn't be trying cute.  Someone is instantly penetrating the OL for a pressures or hit. 

I get it. It's never going to be perfect. But there has just been no reason for any "pre- damaged" QB to find a rhythm or get comfortable. Alex Smith is a PTSD jittery little **** in the pocket when he's getting hit and let down by his targets. What we're seeing out of him right now is what happened pre 2011 in SF.

This is why he is limited. Like some say, he can make the throws, has the wheels, is tough and accurate... but he needs to be pampered with competence around him in the early stages or it will be rough. Rough forever or until they get better around him? I look at what's out there and think, Washington just doesn't have that kind of time. They would need a massive turnaround on the OL and WR spots. Can't do it? go try and get a Mahomes, and eat some dead cap. 

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

First, I never said they were the same. I was making the point we would be better off if he were.

I will assume you are kidding about the knowing more than everyone else, as otherwise it would be extremely arrogant. I will just leave it at that. 

I'm from Missouri and live in Kansas City, but have been a Skins fans since I was 7 back in 1982 so I've naturally taken a lot of heat from all my friends who are of course Chiefs fan. As you can imagine I've watched a lot of A. Smith over the last 4 years and to be honest none of what is going on with him in DC surprises me. My knucklehead friends laugh it up at my expense because they now have the young, sexy gunslinger and we are stuck with old and consistent. Mahomes is really good and the Chiefs are on a legitimate roll, but c'mon man it doesn't take a Sean McVay football IQ to realize it's a lot about the weapons here in KC! Alex Smith looked really good last year because he was throwing to the fastest and quickest receiver in the NFL - Tyrek Hill and not to mention one of the best tight ends and a legitimate top 8 running back. I believe Alex Smith is a winner and with him we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs but beyond that probably better to root for another team because Alex is just too conservative. So you ask again what about his top rating for throwing it deep last year. Well if Tyrek Hill is running wild 40+ yards downfield wide open enough to drive Kirk Cousins ****ty ol conversion van through even Alex Smith can't help but to let that one fly.

HTTR

Alex needs to have his head checked. That is what is wrong with him. He needs to look at himself and say **** it... I am going deep! Well at least have that mentality. 

I like to ask Alex: Why the hell are you not taking chance? Are you like trying to pad your stats (how to be very careful) so you can land as a starter on another team after leaving the Skins? This might be your last starting gig or a chance to get to the SB. I don't understand why you don't take more chances down the field or even in the middle of the field when your running game is not working. (I am not even talking about the ATL game).

Why doesn't Alex have the ability to throw to a WR accurately where the WR is able to get some YACs?  Alex is a vet and not a rookie learning how to play football for the first time in the big boys league. 

Did you know that Fitzpatrick was taken in the bottom of the 7th round when Alex was the #1 selected QB that year? Only other QB from that draft that is really good is Aaron Rodgers. 

Why wasn't Fitzpatrick signed this off-season. He signed an extension this year for only 3 mil a year. I bet you he would have been a lot better than Alex and hell of lot less (cost wise) on a year or two rental. Fitz is sometimes reckless but he takes chances and gives chances to his receivers. 

I was not happy about the trade at all. Alex has really never shown that he was a worthy of #1 pick in the draft. Hoped he would prove me wrong. I am still waiting.... 

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Alex needs to have his head checked. That is what is wrong with him. He needs to look at himself and say **** it... I am going deep! Well at least have that mentality. 

I like to ask Alex: Why the hell are you not taking chance? Are you like trying to pad your stats (how to be very careful) so you can land as a starter on another team after leaving the Skins? This might be your last starting gig or a chance to get to the SB. I don't understand why you don't take more chances down the field or even in the middle of the field when your running game is not working. (I am not even talking about the ATL game).

Why doesn't Alex have the ability to throw to a WR accurately where the WR is able to get some YACs?  Alex is a vet and not a rookie learning how to play football for the first time in the big boys league. 

Did you know that Fitzpatrick was taken in the bottom of the 7th round when Alex was the #1 selected QB that year? Only other QB from that draft that is really good is Aaron Rodgers. 

Why wasn't Fitzpatrick signed this off-season. He signed an extension this year for only 3 mil a year. I bet you he would have been a lot better than Alex and hell of lot less (cost wise) on a year or two rental. Fitz is sometimes reckless but he takes chances and gives chances to his receivers. 

I was not happy about the trade at all. Alex has really never shown that he was a worthy of #1 pick in the draft. Hoped he would prove me wrong. I am still waiting.... 

This one of the reasons why the running game isn't working, because there's enough film on Smith on this team to know exactly what he will do in situations, and they know he won't be throwing deep, so the defenses creep up and up, until they're at the LOS. He doesn't challenge anyone and he certainly doesn't throw anyone open. He will not pull the trigger [ yea, that looooong-ass wind-up and release he possesses ] until the receiver is already open.

And to think some actually believed Gruden was a QB whisperer.  lol...

Alex had decent numbers yesterday. All behind one of the most mid game make shift OLs you will ever see.  Previous QBs would have wilted and taken sack and sack, and of course fumbled rampantly.

While most may allege garbage time all checkdowns etc, I don't recall a series of 8 yd completions against soft zone / prevent.  He had a 100+ yd WR in sloMo Harris which is a sign of improvement to someone I am sure.  He threw a nice fade to Josh. I don't recall any checkdowns, does anyone else? Maybe 1 or 2.... otherwise Bibbs would have had 15 catches like Beck ? that one game vs SF.

He took a monster hit on a monster run and proved at least he is fearless.  Our defense got abused all day long, and our run game vanished. That was the story of the game.   Its not a day to hate on Alex, for if he passed for 400+, Ryan would have schooled us for 500+ and ColeIto rushed for 250. 

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

We've disagreed on this subject multiple times.  But IMO you got this spot on.  Just about a perfect put together narrative from beat guys who covered the trade and the background they provided. 

Jay actually likes gun slinger type QBs typically.  He wanted Kirk to be more aggressive.  And Kirk has his aggressive moments to be sure.  So why Alex of all QBs?  The dude known throughout his career to be one of the more conservative QBs?  The thought seems to be that the new version of Alex, the 2017 version, which was a bolder version of him was the new reality.  And I gather Jay and the FO  thought that his "system" would bring out Alex's best and more aggressive tendencies.

I really don't think Jay has become a convert on wanting QBs who don't turn the ball over first and foremost.  The only one who pushes a narrative otherwise is Chris Russell and he's purely speculating on that front saying Jay/the FO never got over the back breaking interception at the end of the Giants game in 2016.  And that may have colored this deal.   Though Russell also likes to say that Jay is pass happy and too aggressive.  So those 2 points don't go hand in hand.  

I think oddly enough what went down with Kirk negatively effected this in a way.  The criticism by some of Kirk was partly that he was a system QB and just thrived by Jay's system which just got guys open and made QBs more prolific.  Doug even echoed the point about how really any QB becomes a 4000 plus passing yard guy in Jay's system. 

So I gather the idea was f you plug Alex into Jay's system watch out!  Because you got an experienced veteran who would pick up his game because of Jay's system coupled with a dude who can move around, too whereas Kirk wasn't that mobile.  So we started hearing all this upgrade talk -- Jay flat out said it.  And the FO leaked it to beat guys -- saying how Alex is more aggressive in practice among other things. 

And I like Jay.  But I never bought in that he or anyone else has a magic system.  Moreover, I think Andy Reid is an inventive dude.  Among my more annoying points I'd bet to some on the Alex thread was I didn't buy that Reid was limiting Alex's ability to be prolific.  I've followed Reid too closely over the years to believe that he was a problem.  He's a smart dude and inventive.

The thing is I think the FO's inflated view of the "system" and Alex's ability IMO hampered the off season on offense.  They didn't fix LG or the O line depth which was a major problem last year.  And while I liked Richardson, he's not a #1 guy.  I actually wanted them to get 2 WRs and pushed for Albert Wilson to give Alex some familiarity and built in chemistry.  Wilson was having a good season until his injury.

Now, we are at where we are at.  I still think Alex can improve, Jay can adapt.  All is not lost.   Season isn't over   If they don't cut bait with Alex this off season and I think there is a good shot they let it ride.  Then, I am not in the mode that some are which is that its a waste to surround Alex with more talent.  I think EVERY QB benefits from more talent.  And the passing game has too little talent right now.   Is Alex part of the problem with the passing game right now?  I think, yes.  Is that permanent.  I got no idea.   But I don't love the passing weapons on this team.  And Thompson in particular being out is brutal. 

37 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

This one of the reasons why the running game isn't working, because there's enough film on Smith on this team to know exactly what he will do in situations, and they know he won't be throwing deep, so the defenses creep up and up, until they're at the LOS. He doesn't challenge anyone and he certainly doesn't throw anyone open. He will not pull the trigger [ yea, that looooong-ass wind-up and release he possesses ] until the receiver is already open.

And to think some actually believed Gruden was a QB whisperer.  lol...

What is so bad about him as a vet is that when he sees the box being stacked he is still running a run play. I mean sell the run and let them stack up and then just throw the damn ball. It is so basic and yet so trivial to Alex most of the times. I saw Brady last night look to the WR like it was a screen pass and the WR even put up his hands up like he was getting it but it was thrown over him to wide open WR. I know Alex is not Brady but keeping the safeties honest is like football 101 and somehow escapes him. I just shake my head when he does that. 

I guess at this point l will just wait and see if he improves with Quinn and Crowder coming back. 

I’ll add one to @Sandy Monk‘s list: They banked on any QB getting 4000 yards in Jay’s offense.  

And as much as I **** on Jay, I would have made that bet too. Even in 2014, he got the trio of Griffin, McCoy and Cousins to 4000 yards.  Jay can scheme up a passing game, even if he’s a crap play caller and awful HC. 

But Alex can’t do it the way Jay wants him too, and it seems like now they’re trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  

In the end, Jays going to have to figure out how to be creative and not be predictable or else the team is doomed because of the injuries.  

Jay is going to have to be really creative and steal a few wins based on smoke and mirrors... scheme it up, be unpredictable, take a few chances, trick plays, be aggressive.  i personally think there’s a greater chance of me having a threesome with Jennifer Lawrence and Natalie Dormer than Jay pulling that off

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

not only that they just didn't see anything special about kirk and thought this offense was a plug 'n play QB offense...which baffles me because i assumed we all watched the same games...kirk is the one that masked most of our offensive problems...our OL wasn't/isn't as great as people make it out to be...

31 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Alex had decent numbers yesterday. All behind one of the most mid game make shift OLs you will ever see.  Previous QBs would have wilted and taken sack and sack, and of course fumbled rampantly.

While most may allege garbage time all checkdowns etc, I don't recall a series of 8 yd completions against soft zone / prevent.  He had a 100+ yd WR in sloMo Harris which is a sign of improvement to someone I am sure.  He threw a nice fade to Josh. I don't recall any checkdowns, does anyone else? Maybe 1 or 2.... otherwise Bibbs would have had 15 catches like Beck ? that one game vs SF.

He took a monster hit on a monster run and proved at least he is fearless.  Our defense got abused all day long, and our run game vanished. That was the story of the game.   Its not a day to hate on Alex, for if he passed for 400+, Ryan would have schooled us for 500+ and ColeIto rushed for 250. 

He achieved 5.34 adjusted net yards per attempt yesterday. To put that in perspective, there are 27 qualifying QBs (i.e. minimum ~130 attempts) who are averaging better than 5.34 ANY/A this year. Many of them - Dak, Eli, Carr, etc. - are on the hotseat due to their consistent poor play. And they have played more efficiently per dropback than Alex Smith did yesterday. This was not a good game from Smith.

I've always took rhythm passing to mean throwing timing based pass plays on schedule.  Throwing to a spot at the end of your drop.  Every offense has them, including ours.  Alex does run these plays.  He threw a gorgeous touchdown to Josh Doctson on a timing play Sunday.  One step drop and bucket throw to the end zone fade.  Alex needs to clean up his timing and he's always been a ball-holder but he's not going to learn the offense and develop chemistry with his receivers over night.  And the OL is breaking down and he has always been one to feel the rush.

I thought he actually played one of his better games so far on Sunday.  He played with toughness and made some plays against adversity.  The OL and running game were absolutely dreadful.  Adrian Peterson ran with cement shoes on.  The defense got spanked.  Alex and the receivers were just about the only ones left still competing in the second half.

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Well we're getting closer and closer to 2017 when it comes to our injuries. The only difference is we have our Dline and Reed. Other than that we're gonna find out how good Smith is cause he's about to face the same scenario Kirk had to deal with..

maybe an easier schedule this year though...we went through a murder's row for like 10 games last year...

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Why doesn't Alex have the ability to throw to a WR accurately where the WR is able to get some YACs?

I know that's what i had heard he was great at...and appeared that way in the first two or so games...honestly, we'd be better off with RG3...do the ravens still have him on the squad...

8 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I know that's what i had heard he was great at...and appeared that way in the first two or so games...honestly, we'd be better off with RG3...do the ravens still have him on the squad...

What you trying to do? Cause a complete meltdown of ES. :rofl89:

48 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

yeah, thats a good point...i'm sure im lashing out in frustration but it isn't just because of this last game...and he did beat Dallas : )

Archived