Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Reid has been giving stale bread to this team forever and the FO takes it with a smile and a thank you.

If you see Andy Reid in a red velvet suit with some reindeer and a big ol' bag, don't accept anything! Dude has been dumping damaged goods for years, and some teams don't realize that the expiration date has come and gone.

7 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Reid has been giving stale bread to this team forever and the FO takes it with a smile and a thank you.

Insanitty: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  ;) Reid is laughing out loud I believe.

To respond to the OP, I believe there is nothing wrong with Alex Smith, he is just playing as advertised, do not expect him to be a game changer.

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

****, Campbell had a cannon. May have been a cannon with the batteries missing on its targeting systems, but a cannon nonetheless.

Cannon ? The guy wasn't capable of throwing anything past 5 yards, He was a bigger checkdown machine than Alex Smith, See thats the problem with Quarterbacks like this, They play conservative and scared enough that you can never bench or give up on them because their stats don't reflect just how bad they are. You watch Alex Smith play on Sunday and its one checkdown after another, then when he finally does throw anything past 15 yards its not even in the same zipcode. Game ends and the guy has 250 yard 1 td 0  and & everyone says he was serviceable or decent. We have a BIG PROBLEM at QB this year.

We need a QB to save this season the same way Todd Collins did back in 2007 and led us to the playoffs 

28 minutes ago, FrFan said:

To respond to the OP, I believe there is nothing wrong with Alex Smith, he is just playing as advertised, do not expect him to be a game changer.

I guess that depends on who is doing the advertising.  Because the Redskins from the FO on down to the coach have advertised a breath of fresh air, upgrade at QB, who is the smartest QB they’ve ever seen that will allow them to open the whole playbook.

Can we file a class action for false advertising?

For the "he doesn't turn it over and puts the defense in a better position" crowd...how about when the defense actually gets turn overs and puts the offense in a better position (something that was a rarity for the prior 3 seasons) to score and we go 3 and out or fail to put up any points?  Because that's happened several times this year.

Let's see.

O-line already decimated. Our first round WR is unreliable. Jordan Reed, our biggest receiving weapon, was on the bench. Every other weapon is either old, untalented, or too raw for someone of Alex's limited caliber to exploit to their full abilities. Our defense is incapable of handling offenses that specialize on mismatches and is more suited against teams reliant on more conventional attacks predicated on the raw talent of their weapons. Lastly, our QB has demonstrated that he's prone to critical lapses of judgment, from stopping the clock in the Dallas game to running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away to NOT running out of bounds sooner before getting trucked by a defender, and from this one can only surmise as to the number of smaller, less obvious mistakes he might be committing in the course of games.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

For the "he doesn't turn it over and puts the defense in a better position" crowd...how about when the defense actually gets turn overs and puts the offense in a better position (something that was a rarity for the prior 3 seasons) to score and we go 3 and out or fail to put up any points?  Because that's happened several times this year.

They don’t want to talk about that or the fact that a key factor in him not turning it over is due to how little he’s put in situations to turn it over. 

On a a side note, one guy actually blamed Vernon on his interception yesterday.  While I think it was more about two defenders making a play more than a bad throw, it definitely wasn’t Vernon’s fault.  But this is where we are.  Isn’t it fun?

17 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Cannon ? The guy wasn't capable of throwing anything past 5 yards, He was a bigger checkdown machine than Alex Smith, See thats the problem with Quarterbacks like this, They play conservative and scared enough that you can never bench or give up on them because their stats don't reflect just how bad they are. You watch Alex Smith play on Sunday and its one checkdown after another, then when he finally does throw anything past 15 yards its not even in the same zipcode. Game ends and the guy has 250 yard 1 td 0  and & everyone says he was serviceable or decent. We have a BIG PROBLEM at QB this year.

We need a QB to save this season the same way Todd Collins did back in 2007 and led us to the playoffs 

lol, I needed a good laugh this morning.

I remember Campbell trying to throw deep, and the ball would drift into the 5th or 6th row of the stands on the left or right, or he'd throw it through the FG posts into the stands, as if he was giving someone a souvenir.

This team is stuck with Smith and he won't be benched; his precious fragile ego would shatter like Chinese glass, and it would make Bruce look bad [ as if it could get worse ]. This painting experiment has gone too far. Tear off the canvas and throw it away. There are some players worth keeping, mostly on defense, but everything else has to go, as in NY Giants fire sale level.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I guess that depends on who is doing the advertising.  Because the Redskins from the FO on down to the coach have advertised a breath of fresh air, upgrade at QB, who is the smartest QB they’ve ever seen that will allow them to open the whole playbook.

Can we file a class action for false advertising?

Is this really false advertising though? Or just our latest Equilibrium dosage from this franchise, to keep us emotionally docile?

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

lol, I needed a good laugh this morning.

I remember Campbell trying to throw deep, and the ball would drift into the 5th or 6th row of the stands on the left or right, or he'd throw it through the FG posts into the stands, as if he was giving someone a souvenir.

This team is stuck with Smith and he won't be benched; his precious fragile ego would shatter like Chinese glass, and it would make Bruce look bad [ as if it could get worse ]. This painting experiment has gone too far. Tear off the canvas and throw it away. There are some players worth keeping, mostly on defense, but everything else has to go, as in NY Giants fire sale level.

I think everything you posted above is so far off....

First of all, Campbell wasn't very good but you can't honestly "remember" passes that sailed into the stands or through the goalposts. I don't think that EVER happened. He wasn't overly accurate but come on. 

Secondly, what have we seen or heard about Smith to think he has a precious ego? The guy was the #1 overall pick and has already been beaten up (early in his career), benched in SF for a flash-in-the-pan QB, and traded away for a second-year QB. We can say what we want about Smith, but I think the guy has stood up and accepted whatever negatives has come his way over his career in football. 

What we have is a solid locker room leader who is limited in what he can do. But, we also have someone who hasn't played as well as he can yet. Reid may be able to coach circles around Gruden, but Smith still had to throw accurate passes to Kelce, Hill, Hunt, etc. for that offense to work last year. I'm hoping he can at least get back to doing that. 

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

What's wrong with him? He's not being directed by Andy or Harbaugh, who both knew how to mask his limitations and accentuate what he did well.

Good point. I'm not really sure we have enough of a Jay sample size to accurately judge just how good/bad he is as a developer of quarterbacks. McVay played a large role in all of this. Harbaugh and Reid on the other hand have more of a resume'.

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Nothing is wrong with Smith....this is exactly who he is get used to it and the thought of Andy Reid grinning as he thinks about the McNugget and Smith trades....I wouldn’t be surprised if we did better with Kaep.

I KNOW we would do better with Kaepernick, but our staff is just as stupid as any other NFL staff who need a QB for obvious reasons that I'm not going to even touch right now,. (The black balling is real)

Kaep TOOK Alex's job and did something Alex Smith has not and never will be able to do......  Lead a team to a Super Bowl.  He has been available for a couple seasons now, but our organization is too stupid and too scared to bring in a better QB than we have had in years.....   Kaep is better than Smith right now on his couch.

3 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

Smith needs to turn off the earpiece and toss the playbook.  The man is what Jay Gruden never was- an NFL QB!  

Whether it needs to happen or not, it will never happen. Smith is all about being the good lil soldier while raking in money for his Foundation and fam. Winning would be great, but those two aforementioned things come first. 

11 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

Smith needs to turn off the earpiece and toss the playbook.  The man is what Jay Gruden never was- an NFL QB!  

Yea, that's it just tell the HC to go to hell. I am doing my own thing. Let's just ignore the rest of the guys who expect to run the offense they learned. Not to mention he has coached two successful QBs in Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins. And there are a lot of HCs - OCs that have never played QB.  Sorry, this statement makes no sense. 

The whole McVay thing is also pretty ludicrous. It was and is Jay's offense. Guys are getting open. His offense gets people open. Alex is not hitting them. Yes, Jay's play calling leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. But if Alex hits say just 25% of the plays he is missing, this is an entirely different conversation. 

Bottom line is the problem with Alex is Alex. He needs to play better. I have been operating with the belief that he can and will. But that confidence is waning. Yesterday was the best opportunity. That was a bad defense. And all they could muster was 14 pts. Guys were open - even with the injuries. Yes, there were a few drops. But everyone has drops. Need to move forward. 

11 hours ago, carex said:

no GREAT teams overcome major injuries. 

They had a chance to address this during the off season and elected to go with who they had. At this point, it's on the FO. How much easier would it have been to withstand the Oline injuries if they signed a solid LG? In fact that person may very well not have even been injured. How many times has Lauvao been injured? 

Can;t keep using that excuse when you don't do anything about it. 

Drops on first 2 drives didnt help. Balls were delivered on time (finally) and we juts dropped them.

Lots of 3rd and longs.

1st drive:

3rd and 25 = punt

2nd drive:

3rd and 15 = punt

3rd drive:

3rd and 12 = punt

4th drive:

11 plays, 80 yds = td (converted on a 3rd and 10 in this drive)

5th drive:

28 seconds left before half .. not a true possession imo. Holding penalty on moses negated a 28 yard pass to doctson.

6th drive:

3rd and 32 = punt (picked up the 3rd and 4 before Doctson taunting penalty, followed by a Scherff hold then Moses unsportsmanlike)

7th drive:

9 plays, 77 yds = td

(had a 3rd and 20 = 4th and 3 = went for it and picked it up)

8th drive:

3rd and 3 - Alex sacked, 2 holding penalties against us on play

9th drive:

1 play = int

10th drive:

garbage time, we ate up the remaining 3 plus minutes, moving the chains but it was garbage time

--------------------------

4 of their first 5 possessions (not counting the one with :28 secs before halftime), we had 3rd and longs. Alex Smith with this injured O line, no CT, no real WR ... is not going to pick up to many 3rd and longs.

Is the Qb a big part of staying on schedule and ahead of the chains? Sure but the penalties and drops were drive killers for our first few possessions.

Everything has to work right for 1st and 2nd down for us to be successful. Penalties we can not overcome. Drops or sacks, we cannot overcome.

Offense has to small a margin or error and we had way to many errors yesterday.

28 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Drops on first 2 drives didnt help. Balls were delivered on time (finally) and we juts dropped them.

Lots of 3rd and longs.

Edit 

Everything has to work right for 1st and 2nd down for us to be successful. Penalties we can not overcome. Drops or sacks, we cannot overcome.

Offense has to small a margin or error and we had way to many errors yesterday.

I get what you are staying but I do not think that's the complete picture. It feels like yo are saying Alex was OK, it was everyone else. Maybe that's not what you meant and maybe I am just reading it wrong.

As the season goes on, I am more and more certain the majority of the issue is Alex. Was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until this last game That was the worst D is football. Yea, there were some drops. There were also very good plays made by WRs. There was one particular play that epitomizes the issues to me - He had Richardson right away coming on a cross. He looks at him but looks elsewhere. He comes back to him and he is still open. he throws the ball and it;'s out in front of Richardson who has to lay out and makes a great catch. The thing is, that pass only went maybe 15 yds in the air and it was a yard off. And it was late being delivered. 

Since the first game in AZ - I have not seen him just drop back and fire. He seems so tentative. Not sure if he doesn't trust his reads, the receivers? Both? And he has receivers. He needs to hit them. They are getting open which is all they can do until the ball comes to them. 

They need to put it on Tampa who is reeling worse than the Giants. Le'ts see how they come back. Tampa is very much like Atl - poor D and very explosive Off. 

Archived