Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I agree that Smith clearly needs to improve. I also concur on the fact that making him a post June 1st cut is a very viable option. I personally am not overly worried over the whole dead cap debate, even though dead cap is never a good thing in the strictest sense.

By the looks of the contract to me, the SB of 27mil takes away any out after 2 years. Perhaps the size of SB was the give away in negotiations? Although the guarantee kicking in next year takes that away too....

I'm the opposite, I don't necessarily care how much he makes, rather the effect on the cap.  I'd hate to not be a position to re-sign some of our younger players because we are paying someone a salary that far exceeds his importance to this team.  

So theoretically, if Smith just completely stinks...we could walk away after this season (within the first 4 days of the new league year), with a cap hit of $20.4 M.  In this scenario, there is no additional cap hit (as opposed to keeping him) because that's also his cap number for 2019.  Highly unlikely, as we probably will have a strong record, and won't be in a position to draft a QB high.    

We had another out after the 2019 season originally that would've required us to designate him a post-June 1st cut, with the cap hit $5.4 M resulting in a cap savings of $16 M.  This won't be viable after the fifth day of the new 2019 league year, where his 2020 salary then becomes fully guaranteed.  So realistically, the first time we could look to cut ties is after the 2020 season, with a post-June 1st cut, that would also carry a cap hit of $5.4 M, but save us $19 M.  

I take back the promising things I said about alex.  He's visibly scared to be on a damn football field.  Just head scratching misses, I mean what the hell man, missing wide open guys by a mile.  

And that's after 3 seconds of the happiest of happy feet whether or not there's pressure.  It's pretty awful and I don't see it changing.  This team has absolutely no chance to win if they are behind at all.

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I think all you need to know about Alex Smith is....

We play one of the worst defenses in the league, and he leads us to 14 points.  At home.

FACTS!!!!!  Smith is the third worse QB in the NFCE. Eli is worse, but not by much.  Eli can throw downfield.

Season's halfway over and I'm not even angry watching Alex Smith play QB anymore. I laugh at him so predictably being utter trash, and I laugh at this organization (namely Bruce Allen) for not realizing what he was, when anyone with a pair of eyes and a modicum of football knowledge already knew.

Smith reminds me of how I felt watching Jason Campbell or post 2012 Robert Griffin.

He doesn't have the arm strength nor the accuracy to push the ball downfield to the sidelines. The entire offense has become slant routes and checkdowns. I can only hope his acquisition results in wholesale changes in the front office, but I remain doubtful on that front.

I'm not tilted after a loss at all. I'm perfectly calm. The only thing that bothers me is that so many quality players on both sides of the ball for this football team are going to be constantly let down by this fraud of a front office which voluntarily acquired this fraud of a QB for the foreseeable future.

At least there is extremeskins to read. You guys are great. We all deserve better than this team. :(

I've been crushing Alex all year but I'm an equal opportunity hater and I just can't put this on him, yes he's overpaid and yes he's boring but the run game was hideous and we got called for 8 holds, WTF is that?  It seemed like every time we made a play it was called back, also those 2 drops by JD on that 2nd drive killed us.

Then you have a defense getting gashed by RB's who haven't done anything all year, Falcons offense converting 3rd downs at 77%, 150 yards in penalties, who can win with that?

I can't believe I'm sticking up for DJ checkdown but come on, that game was unwinnable due to the run game, penalties, and a defense that played so poorly they should be embarrassed.

I'm going to be a contrary voice.

I think Alex played pretty well today. He got hit really hard by drops. Worse, every time we got a first down the refs negated it. Usually, they threw the flag after the play was over once they realized they needed to prevent the first down. Considering the drops, the penalties, and that Alex was playing with less than half of a starting o line and without two of his major play makers... I thought he had a solid game.

It's so predictable how some of the biggest Kirk haters that time and time again tried to call out posters that support Kirk as making excuses are now using those same "excuses" that they scoffed and laughed at to forgive Smith of his ineptitude.  Keep being hypocrites guys.  We expect nothing less from you! ?

Archived