Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

15 minutes ago, carex said:

Well Smith did have over 300 yards passing today

How many of them are chunk plays?  I can get 400 in screen plays and check downs in the NFL right now, not in game shape.

Hell this was a below average Falcons defense.  He should have had Drew  Brees type numbers on these guys.

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Most of which were in the pinnacle of "garbage time".

That part.....

4 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Alex Smith is a backup at best.  This is the same guy that got his spot taken by Colin Kaepernick....  The QB who can't get a job in the NFL.  This is Smiths third team.  Calling him a capable QB is very kind of you.

Calling him capable means I think he's got enough talent and football acumen to have a job in this league. Whether he should be starting is debatable. He did look very good last season, and has had his moments throughout his career. Maybe Reid knew he was coming to the end of his ability to be a starter, like he knew when he let us have McNabb.

That said, we are desperately in need of a QB who could have shredded Atlanta's injury depleted defense.  

2 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Calling him capable means I think he's got enough talent and football acumen to have a job in this league. Whether he should be starting is debatable. He did look very good last season, and has had his moments throughout his career. Maybe Reid knew he was coming to the end of his ability to be a starter, like he knew when he let us have McNabb.

That said, we are desperately in need of a QB who could have shredded Atlanta's injury depleted defense.  

If Smith stinks up the field in TB, i'll officially be on the 'bring in Colt McCoy' bandwagon. At least he's not scared to throw the ball more than 5 yds, AND he's beaten the Cowboys in Dallas.

3 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

If Smith stinks up the field in TB, i'll officially be on the 'bring in Colt McCoy' bandwagon. At least he's not scared to throw the ball more than 5 yds, AND he's beaten the Cowboys in Dallas.

This is an entirely different Cowboys team than McCoy played in Dallas.

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

If you dont start the thread after that bucs game, I will. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

1 minute ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

This is an entirely different Cowboys team than McCoy played in Dallas.

Also a different redskins team.

8 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, that was a glorious victory, but it was also 4 years ago. Still, I have always liked what I saw from Colt. and wish he could get another chance to prove himself before he's too old.  

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If you dont start the thread after that bucs game, I will. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Also a different redskins team.

Who are 1-4 in the last 5 meetings against them.  I don't think McCoy is the answer to take on a 2nd rank defense right now.  He's a backup for a reason.  Well hell, Smith is really a backup as well.

2 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Who are 1-4 in the last 5 meetings against them.  I don't think McCoy is the answer to take on a 2nd rank defense right now.  He's a backup for a reason.  Well hell, Smith is really a backup as well.

You're last point is the point, is McCoy worse? I don't think so, Alex is making so much money they don't want to bench him right now.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

You're last point is the point, is McCoy worse? I don't think so, Alex is making so much money they don't want to bench him right now.

Then Alex should bench himself with a phantom injury. He's got his money. No point left in playing behind that ravaged OL and throwing to those wide receivers. It's a win-win for all involved. 

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Then Alex should bench himself with a phantom injury. He's got his money. No point left in playing behind that ravaged OL and throwing to those wide receivers. It's a win-win for all involved. 

Lying?  Unnecessary, Jay probably wants to bench him but has to give him leash like he did with Griffin.  There will be a no choice point to force the issue so we don't push back the inevitability of him needing to go.  The benching will likely be at home against the Texans.

6 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

You've certainly changed your tune on Alex.

no o line and a lot of dropped passes, we took reed out of the game... defense playing lights off. Sucks to loose, especially after being used to having a dominant offense, but i don’t think smith played horribly.  He’s not the type of player than can carry a team to victory, but then again, he wasn’t signed to do that.  He was signed as a middle tier QB, and that is what he is.

Idk.. the injuries on the o line didn't help any, we've established our identity..smash mouth run the ball down ur throat...buuuut in some games ya gotta get away from that style and play the field throwing the ball and it's just not happening right now for some reason..is it Alex fault? who knows but like sic said if he can't make it happen in Tampa I'm ready to see Colt go.

3 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Regardless, if there's a young QB with a lot of potential early in the next draft that we can get, we need to do it. Neither Alex nor Colt are  the answer.  

Might as well clean house and let the new dude pick his guy..

6 minutes ago, carex said:

In the time he was a Chief their worst record was 9-7.  They went from 2-14 to 12-4 after getting him.  They were 10-6 last season.

This lends more credence that it's more about coaching.  Andy Reid is way more innovative than Gruden will ever be.  

30 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

That might not be an issue.

With a banged up o-line, facing JJ Watt, Clowney and Mercilus, they may put Smith in the hospital. These guys are animals, now on a bye week, and will be fresh and ready when they come to DC. This could be the ugliest game of the year.

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's a valid point.  But if it means us taking advantage of this win total cushion, we have to do what we have to do.  Screw Alex's feelings or paycheck, it's about winning games.

Archived