Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

I know there is an existing thread about Smith to support him.  If this is merged or removed  then so be it.  With that said, I don't understand why he's performing so poorly.  I think I saw a sound bite where he said he needs to develop better chemistry with his receivers.  If that's the case then what was he doing in training camp.  The pass to Sprinkle today should've been an easy TD but it fluttered in there and there was no possibility for it to be caught.  Smith needs another bye week to get in sync.  He was a #1 pick and is playing like he is an UDFA.  He's the weakest link on this team right now and has to get better fast.  

The acquisition of Smith was a self serving, save my own ass, desperation move by Bruce Allen. That's it. 

Allen knew he'd get a modicum of average ability and efficiency on dink and dunk and checkdown passes from Smith and just hope for enough wins to cover his ass. That's all. 

11 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

The acquisition of Smith was a self serving, save my own ass, desperation move by Bruce Allen. That's it. 

Allen knew he'd get a modicum of average ability and efficiency on dink and dunk and checkdown passes from Smith and just hope for enough wins to cover his ass. That's all. 

The funny thing is, had he just paid Cousins, and kept all else the same, we're probably 5-1 at least right now and Allen would be praised for building a quality team and paying the franchise QB.

Looking back, we'd have been better off just rolling with McCoy as our starter and using that cap space on another WR and LG. The offense would be better and the D is clearly good enough to make the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Combination of his natural conservative playstyle coupled with a really bad set of skill players and a coach that isn't doing a good job calling/designing offense right now.

On most of the passing plays now they're showing the replay and no one is getting open. Not to mention that 1st or 2nd n goal play PA roll out and Smith had a TD to Sprinkle and missed him. It looked like the same play in NO he short armed to Harris that was a touchdown and  instead got picked.. But yea that's Grudens' fault..

1 minute ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

On most of the passing plays now they're showing the replay and no one is getting open. Not to mention that 1st or 2nd n goal play PA roll out and Smith had a TD to Sprinkle and missed him. It looked like the same play in NO he short armed to Harris that was a touchdown and  instead got picked.. But yea that's Grudens' fault..

So are ALL of our WRs really that bad at getting separation? Because none of them are getting many targets. And have almost ALL of Alex Smith's WRs on previous teams, outside of Tyreek Hill, been that bad at getting separation? "Separation" in the NFL usually means one or maybe two steps since the talent level is so high and the difference in talent between WRs and DBs is so marginal, unlike college. I'm thinking that guys are probably getting open enough sometimes, just not open enough for Alex's comfort. But you aren't going to have a guy with a yard on his man on every play.

Smith's 1st year in Gruden's system.  He'll only get better.  We need to draft OL with a couple decent picks next year like we did and concentrated on DL.  That and Guice coming back will help this team going forward.  Plus, a lot of players are injured.

51 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The pass to Sprinkle today should've been an easy TD but it fluttered in there and there was no possibility for it to be caught.

I was also disappointed that he overthrew Doctson, on what I believe was 2 passes in a row, which if completed, would have, or should have, or could have been TD's on each of them. Then on the 3rd down play at around the 3, when he "threw the ball away", he was nowhere near being sacked, so it was way premature, PLUS I think Harris was open in the end zone. Then there's the play at the end where he runs out of bounds, when we're trying to run out the clock.

To those saying "this is just Alex Smith", I disagree. He's not usually like this, IMO.

Alex Smith is better than this. It's his worst day as a Skin, most likely

It sure gives ammunition to the anti-Smith people. I'm not saying he's a superstar, but he's better than this.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was also disappointed that he overthrew Doctson, on what I believe was 2 passes in a row, which if completed, would have, or should have, or could have been TD's on each of them. Then on the 3rd down play at around the 3, when he "threw the ball away", he was nowhere near being sacked, so it was way premature, PLUS I think Harris was open in the end zone. Then there's the play at the end where he runs out of bounds, when we're trying to run out the clock.

To those saying "this is just Alex Smith", I disagree. He's not usually like this, IMO.

It sure gives ammunition to the anti-Smith people. I'm not saying he's a superstar, but he's better than this.

I certainly agree with some of this post, but definitely not the bolded part. He was WAY worse against NO.

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The funny thing is, had he just paid Cousins, and kept all else the same, we're probably 5-1 at least right now and Allen would be praised for building a quality team and paying the franchise QB.

Bruh, I just can't right now.  If I can go the great of the year without seeing his nme in the stadium that would be great (at least until we see them in the playoffs, which seem inevitable right now)

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Looking back, we'd have been better off just rolling with McCoy as our starter and using that cap space on another WR and LG. The offense would be better and the D is clearly good enough to make the playoffs.

I wanted McCoy in today, I don't think that should be off the table during a game.  I'm not here to straight replace him because we can't even if we wanted to for three years.  We have to figure out how to make this work.

37 minutes ago, purbeast said:

What's wrong is that he's 4-2 and up a game and a half in his division.  

HTTR

That is very true, but it's not like he lead us to 4-2 because of his quarterbacking.  We are where we are because of AD, some solid defensive play and some much needed luck in some spots. I think we should take a look at some solid veterans on the FA wire honestly.  Alex isn't good enough to lead us against well round teams.

5 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I think we should take a look at some solid veterans on the FA wire honestly.  Alex isn't good enough to lead us against well round teams.

Exactly! There are usually a bunch of good quarterbacks available during week 7 of an NFL season, because teams don't want good quarterbacks on their roster.

56 minutes ago, purbeast said:

What's wrong is that he's 4-2 and up a game and a half in his division.  

HTTR

That has more with the defense and run game improving. Two things Cousins really didn't have. Cousins wasn't worth the money to me, but he's still better than Alex Smith when it comes to playing QB. 

I liked the move when we got Smith and let Kirk walk. Now I'm thinking I was wrong. I think Kirk would do better with the team we have now. Smith hasn't improved this team that's for sure. 

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I certainly agree with some of this post, but definitely not the bolded part. He was WAY worse against NO.

How about the Colts 

He didn't look good against them either and they're garbage.

2 minutes ago, BornToHail said:

I think Smith is here for not turning over the ball. That's the only thing he does well in this offense. For how good Kirk was, he was a turnover machine. 

This is the really only valid point that is pro-Smith. Although Alex has had several fumbles this year, we've recovered them. In years past we have not.

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I agree with this. 

The decisions might be prototypical Alex Smith, but the execution is not. The silver lining is that if he makes a few more plays per game and the rest of the team maintains their current level of play, we might be a tough out. 

I believe that it is safe to say the Gruden is part of the reason this team is winning.  He gambled with Cousins and won, even with absolutely no one playing WR last season.  This season he gets stuck with Alex Smith and Peterson after the front office did it's best to turn a turd into gold by kicking Cousins to the curb.  I don't know if this team is any good.  They play pathetically against the Saints then follow it up with a big win vs a division rival (who isn't very good btw).  The Redskins have beaten pretty poor teams, but hey that's what teams do.  As much as I despise the front office, Gruden has the team playing pretty darn well.

I think there are a few determining factors here:

1.  Jay Gruden's play calling.  For years we hear about "if the read is there, if the coverage is there, etc." about not enough deep balls.  Gruden wants his QB's to be conservative, I fully believe.  His scheme is many short passes and let pass catchers do the work.  We've seen this for years.  I have always said you should take a shot to Desean each half when he was here.  But we went games without a deep shot.  

2.  Alex Smith loves to get the ball out quick.  Coupled with a coach who is hesitant to go deep, that means we are seeing a lot of passes within 15 yards in the air.

3.  Alex Smith hasn't really thrown into coverage much - until yesterday.  numerous plays we saw throws into coverage (a few Doctson catches) and we saw success.  the optimism in me says that he's gaining trust and we will see it more.

4.  Deangelo Hall on Good Morning Football stated that Gruden loves to get 5 guys out in routes.  that leaves 5 to protect.  That equals quick passes, especially if the D rushes 5-6.

A big part of the problem is his receivers don’t practice. They’ve been injured since before training camp. 

How many preseason snaps did Alex get? How many practice snaps? There is no chemistry or timing... no trust. Alex knows the play call, but he doesn’t know how his receivers react to it or what they do against various coverages. 

That plus his conservative nature = Alex. 

Archived