Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

On 10/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, redskins4ever28 said:

Welcome to extremeskins where everyone takes what you say completely different. 

Just read my message history. If I say Alex Smith sucks I get the “WTF DUDE GO LIKE ANOTHER TEAM THEN, YOUR OBVIOUSLY NOT HAPPY WE ARE WINNING”

lol

So what are you really trying to say?

On 10/28/2018 at 5:35 PM, thebeermonkey said:

He's absolutely dreadful.

He was playing under a much much much better coach in KC who covered for his crapness.

I don't buy this. You can convince me that Reid is better...fine. 

But even under Reid, Smith still had to make throws. He's not even doing that consistently now. Recently there have been a few times when he's decided on a read, cut the ball loose, and it's been an awful throw. Coaching won't cover up a guy who can't connect on a 30 yard seam pass or 18 yard out. Smith has the ability to do that because he did it last year. Remember that dime he threw to Kelce against us on like 3rd-and-20?? It was basically the first play they had made and sparked them. 

My point isn't that Gruden is as good as Reid. It's just that scheme can make things easier, but once it's time to make a physical play it's on the player. Unless Smith fell completely off the cliff in the past 6 months, there's no reason to believe he can't improve considerably (both mastering the offense and hitting the guys when he makes the throws). 

43 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Just to stoke the fire... everyone saw Cousins this past Sunday right? That's at least his fourth late-game turnover this season. 

That INT was about as much Cousins fault as the INT Alex threw when Reed stopped running his route. Both of those are on the WR/TE.

I didn't see anyone blame Smith for that one.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Alex Smith had been under Reid and that scheme his entire time in Kansas City.  Tyreke Hill & Kareem Hunt came along almost at the perfect time. (Kelce too).  By that time Smith had a couple seasons in that scheme under his belt, then all of the sudden you add these super quick & speedy play makers to the mix and a Top 5 TE?

As someone who supported the move to get Alex Smith, my biggest mis-judgement was how quick Alex Smith would mold into this scheme. However I also stand by the idea that the Alex Smith we are seeing right now is not the ceiling on him under this scheme.  

When it comes to Smith's lack of production in the passing game, I feel part of it is lack of play makers at the WR position, but I also think it has to do with him still trying to get comfortable in the scheme itself and taking time to trust his teammates.  There is no reason a healthy Jordan Reed can't be resembling what Smith did with Kelce. 

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that Alex Smith had been under Reid and that scheme his entire time in Kansas City.  Tyreke Hill & Kareem Hunt came along almost at the perfect time. (Kelce too).  By that time Smith had a couple seasons in that scheme under his belt, then all of the sudden you add these super quick & speedy play makers to the mix and a Top 5 TE?

As someone who supported the move to get Alex Smith, my biggest mis-judgement was how quick Alex Smith would mold into this scheme. However I also stand by the idea that the Alex Smith we are seeing right now is not the ceiling on him under this scheme.  

When it comes to Smith's lack of production in the passing game, I feel part of it is lack of play makers at the WR position, but I also think it has to do with him still trying to get comfortable in the scheme itself and taking time to trust his teammates.  There is no reason a healthy Jordan Reed can't be resembling what Smith did with Kelce. 

Yes so true. I will add that Alex needs to get the chemistry worked out with Doctson too. I still think Doctson can be that #1 WR regardless of what some think. If Alex can get his timing correct with Doc and hit him in stride that will be huge as well. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

That INT was about as much Cousins fault as the INT Alex threw when Reed stopped running his route. Both of those are on the WR/TE.

I didn't see anyone blame Smith for that one.

Ehhh literally every pundit is saying this was one of the worst interceptions thrown this season. And again, my point was that this was his fourth late-game interception... in only eight games... Alex isn't winning us games, but he certainly Kirking them.

Edit- fourth late-game *turnover. Not interception.

Just now, CTskin said:

Ehhh literally every pundit is saying this was one of the worst interceptions thrown this season. And again, my point was that this was his fourth late-game interception... in only eight games... Alex isn't winning us games, but he certainly Kirking them.

Literally everyone I have seen talk about put it on Diggs................including Diggs. So, yeah.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Literally everyone I have seen talk about put it on Diggs................including Diggs. So, yeah.

Yeah, I didn’t want to pile on, but I haven’t really heard anyone put that one on Cousins.  You can tell who watched the game and who didn’t but just wants to pile on.  If they had watched the game, they’d know the Cousins that they remember had a donk play right before that where he was lucky to have a knee down.  That play is fair game.  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I didn’t want to pile on, but I haven’t really heard anyone put that one on Cousins.  You can tell who watched the game and who didn’t but just wants to pile on.  If they had watched the game, they’d know the Cousins that they remember had a donk play right before that where he was lucky to have a knee down.  That play is fair game.  

Yeah, that play was retarded. I'm not even sure WTF he was thinking. He got outside the pocket and........ just kinda gave up. Didn't throw the ball away. Just decided he was gonna get sacked and not protect the ball. That..............was just amazingly bad.

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I drafted Jordan Reed in fantasy specifically due to Alex’s love of the tight end.  Looked promising to start the Giants game, like they were going to force the issue.  No dice.

I did the same thing. I continue playing him over Olsen and it's starting to eat me up... Obviously, the game that I swap them is when he'll go off.

Alex played much better last game, taking some shots down field and really appears to be building a rapport with the WRs. The Falcons have a god awful defense, so if there's any time to shine, it'll be this Sunday.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't buy this. You can convince me that Reid is better...fine. 

But even under Reid, Smith still had to make throws. He's not even doing that consistently now. Recently there have been a few times when he's decided on a read, cut the ball loose, and it's been an awful throw. Coaching won't cover up a guy who can't connect on a 30 yard seam pass or 18 yard out. Smith has the ability to do that because he did it last year. Remember that dime he threw to Kelce against us on like 3rd-and-20?? It was basically the first play they had made and sparked them. 

My point isn't that Gruden is as good as Reid. It's just that scheme can make things easier, but once it's time to make a physical play it's on the player. Unless Smith fell completely off the cliff in the past 6 months, there's no reason to believe he can't improve considerably (both mastering the offense and hitting the guys when he makes the throws). 

But the thing is I dont think Smith made those throws to receivers under Reid.  He primarily threw to backs and tight ends.  He had a season where he threw 0 TDs to a receiver.  In fact, every season his #2 receiver had 3 TDs or less.  Basically you were either Tyreek Hill, or you didnt get the ball that much from Smith as a WR.

Look at the absolute juggernaut the KC offense is right now.  Reid clearly knows what he was doing, and Smith was clearly holding it back, because with the same offensive weapons it went from good last season to phenominal.  So I dont think its a matter of he was making the throws, I think hes been like this most of his career, but KC covered it better.

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

Just to stoke the fire... everyone saw Cousins this past Sunday right? That's at least his fourth late-game turnover this season. 

That's because that's what KC does....not a big game QB, lacks confidence. That's why the Skins were always hesitant to pay him. They love Alex's confidence and leadership. Stay tuned.

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn't see the Vikings game but I saw the games when he was a Redskin and threw bad picks. That's all I need to see. 

To really answer the topic title---which I would reframe as "what is the true nature of Alex Smith?"---one need only to resolve this question first, as it is really central to the quandary he presents:

What would classical chaos, which exists behind the curtain everywhere in our world, do to quantum mechanics, the theory describing the atomic and subatomic worlds and how would that manifest in professional American football?

Once you can answer that, you find the Smith situation is no mystery at all.

I should probably  be our next OC.

7 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

We tink Jay's play calling is average.  How do we know that Alex is not the reason it seems this way.  I am sure Jay is not calling a 3 yard pass when we have 6 to get a first down, but when Alex is afraid or off timing to hit a receiver for 13 plus yards but takes a checkdown then how can we blame Jay.  And you know why I know that?  Jay didn't start calling plays this year.  With Cousins last year, a banged up OL and no running game tell me you didn't feel we had a chance to make a first down on say a 3rd and 5 yards.  And tell me how confident you are with Smith making said 3rd down.  All I can say is I hope he improves because right now this D is playing lights out, something they didn't do because mainly of injuries last year.  Remember don't look at our record, you can't, when we were the worse rushing D in the league last year.  

I think you misunderstood me. I'm with you. Jay's passing offense puts up numbers. Shannon Sharp always starts off anything regarding the Skinz by referring to "Check down" Alex. This is the best we've seen Doctson play since he's been in DC. Jordan Reed is healthy. Richardson is actual speed on the outside. Playcalling can be average by Jay. But his offensive scheme can't be questioned.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

To really answer the topic title---which I would reframe as "what is the true nature of Alex Smith?"---one need only to resolve this question first, as it is really central to the quandary he presents:

What would classical chaos, which exists behind the curtain everywhere in our world, do to quantum mechanics, the theory describing the atomic and subatomic worlds and how would that manifest in professional American football?

Once you can answer that, you find the Smith situation is no mystery at all.

I should probably  be our next OC.

Then I should be the HC, because this is a easy answer.

He's a game manager. He's safe, and it's effective when he has a running game and a stout Defense to lean on. When he doesn't it's like any other game manager. You loose close games against median teams, get blown out by good ones, and beat the bottom dwellers.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

Edit- fourth late-game *turnover. Not interception.

There is no way your first sentence is true. Making up for it with the "Kirking" reference though. Basically The Office with Andy Bernard trying to get Dwight fired. 

Andy: I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it. 

Michael: What? 

Andy: Schruted it. It’s just this thing people say around your office all the time. Like when you screw something up in a really irreversible way. You Schruted it. I don’t know where it comes from though. You think it comes from Dwight Schrute? 

Michael: I don’t know. Who knows how words are formed.

4 hours ago, CTskin said:

That wasn't Cousins fault.  But just to stoke the fire....  Everyone saw Cousins actually throw the ball more than 8 yards downfield on a constant basis...  Remember what it felt like to have a QB that can do that?  

13 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Problem is you probably can't win the super bowl with either Smith or Cousins. So in other words we are screwed.

Pretty much nailed it. But I'm going to hold out hope that Alex's ceiling is higher than we've seen. 

Before the season, like the previous few pre-seasons, the predictions for this season hovered around .500. We haven't officially exceeded them yet, but considering we're 5-2 with our offense not clicking on all cylinders, I'll remain optimistic that we can get this thing going.

7 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

That wasn't Cousins fault.  But just to stoke the fire....  Everyone saw Cousins actually throw the ball more than 8 yards downfield on a constant basis...  Remember what it felt like to have a QB that can do that?  

Sure do. And I also remember all of the games that he gave away in the clutch. I'll admit, he's doing it at a higher clip with the Vikings, but I certainly don't miss it.

Kirk won't win it and Alex won't lose it. Still not sure which I'd prefer, but our current record improvement is a difficult factor to ignore.

Archived