Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

If our D can be like the 2000 Ravens then another SB trophy will be in the case. :D

Its possible but very difficult, the Jags were a couple minutes away from the Superbowl and they played the same game we currently play.

4 hours ago, normal_gymnasium said:

Ok. I've made a note to self about your football knowledge and overall reasonableness. It's not a kind note. 

I'm gonna be whooping Alex's ass all year so you're better off using the ignore function, trust me you won't hurt my feelings.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Just use the ignore function, trust me you won't hurt my feelings.

Probably not, since you wouldn't know. :lol:

Look, I'm not thrilled with Alex Smith either. Here are texts I sent to my friend during today's game.

"He's just effing awful, most of the time"

"He's a big fat [ASTERIX PARTY]"

"Punky Brewster has more balls than Alex Smith"

"Have I mentioned that I loathe how Alex plays?"

"That deep pass to Richardson was Brock Osweiler quality"

"Time to start scouting QBs for the draft next year"

But I have to acknowledge that he hasn't turned the ball over hardly at all, he makes a handful of nice plays every game, he seems to be getting Josh Doctson involved as a possession receiver, and the Redskins have 5 wins in 7 games in his first year in the system with a pretty lousy WR corps.

Would you rather be 2-5 with a super exciting QB? 

And does it make me sad watching him when I know Patrick Mahomes exists?

Sure does. But Alex is playing at a much higher level than any of the Skins QBs I mentioned previously, and the team has their best record through 7 games in over a decade.

Let's be happy for a minute.

Third game in a row Smith is under 200 yards.  Smith does not have a single 300 yard game on the season.    AP nearly RAN for as many yards as Alex threw for today.  

To compare - Smith had 5 300+ games last year, but more importantly, only one game under 200 yards.  No, we don't have Hill, Kelce, Hunt...but we DO have AP, Thompson, Reed, Crowder, P.Rich....and Doc.  Our skills guys are not bums. 

And what's with his legs?  Alex Smith was running wild last year.  He ran all over us in 2017.  Now he rarely ever runs and even struggles to just get outside of the pocket when being chased by 300+ pound DL.  

I'm all for him playing conservatively and putting up pedestrian numbers, but to even label Smith a "game manager" right now is being generous.  He's missing throws badly and not seeing the field well.  He gets happy feet in the pocket..  This can't be all on our guys not getting open....can it?

13 minutes ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

Alex Smith is playing exactly the way I expected him to. The problem is you you can get a guy who’s going to play at his level for much less than $24M a year. This is textbook game managing. 

I don’t find myself thinking about his salary while he’s frustrating the **** out of me on the field.

But yes, that’s the reality of it.  It’s a lot of money for what we’re getting.  I mean, I cheer for him like I would a not-so good kid on my sons rec teams.  He completes a simple pass for first down and I’m excited.  Problem is he’s a really highly paid pro.

31 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don't think this guy is the answer at QB. Sorry.

They don't think he is either - he was the best option of a bunch of terrible options based on not giving Kirk a contract and not trading him.

Smith's accuracy is concerning. He has missed 15-20 completions this year simply by sailing or fading balls away from receivers. That is a problem, a big problem. I'm not asking him to do what he did last year without Tyreek Hill but I need him to make wide open completions.

26 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I wonder if the play of the day was Alex Smith's hustle tackle on the Peterson fumble return. If Smith doesn't run the lb down that's a touchdown. Instead, the D forced a punt. Hell of a play by the QB.

Yes and no.

Sure I loved his hustle, but he also had poor effort trying to block for Peterson before the fumble.

And I'm being kind when talking about poor effort. Even DJax blocks better.

Guys I just rewatched all the plays Alex Smith didn't connect while droping to throw.  Seriously he has major issues, he is totally off sink with the play and the WRs.  Especially on 4 throwing downs that would basically have sealed the game in the 3rd quarter he has open receivers but he is double pumping and then misses badly.  whatever the issue is he needs to fix it ASAP.  We can't keep winning with him playing like this. Colt I am sure hits those plays with closed eyes.

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Guys I just rewatched all the plays Alex Smith didn't connect while droping to throw.  Seriously he has major issues, he is totally off sink with the play and the WRs.  Especially on 4 throwing downs that would basically have sealed the game in the 3rd quarter he has open receivers but he is double pumping and then misses badly.  whatever the issue is he needs to fix it ASAP.  We can't keep winning with him playing like this. Colt I am sure hits those plays with closed eyes.

Yes Colt makes 3-5 more of those throws while turning the ball over 7 million times.

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

For what? We have 10 million in cap space just sitting there. WR is a huge hole. What are you gonna save it for, that LG that we're not going to bother with?

Not arguing either way with this, but you can roll your cap over...

Jackson and Peterson are the two guys I’d think long and hard about.  I think either one could elevate their units to another level.  I’m not too concerned about the trade compensation considering our comp picks.  

I can buy the argument that Jackson wouldn’t be used enough and might become frustrated quickly, but I also think we’re missing that extra speed element.  

27 minutes ago, normal_gymnasium said:

Probably not, since you wouldn't know. :lol:

Look, I'm not thrilled with Alex Smith either. Here are texts I sent to my friend during today's game.

"He's just effing awful, most of the time"

"He's a big fat [ASTERIX PARTY]"

"Punky Brewster has more balls than Alex Smith"

"Have I mentioned that I loathe how Alex plays?"

"That deep pass to Richardson was Brock Osweiler quality"

"Time to start scouting QBs for the draft next year"

But I have to acknowledge that he hasn't turned the ball over hardly at all, he makes a handful of nice plays every game, he seems to be getting Josh Doctson involved as a possession receiver, and the Redskins have 5 wins in 7 games in his first year in the system with a pretty lousy WR corps.

Would you rather be 2-5 with a super exciting QB? 

And does it make me sad watching him when I know Patrick Mahomes exists?

Sure does. But Alex is playing at a much higher level than any of the Skins QBs I mentioned previously, and the team has their best record through 7 games in over a decade.

Let's be happy for a minute.

I think a lot of you mistake the people like me who complain about smith as us not being happy or excited. Please understand I am STOKED we are 5-2 and have a legit defense and a great rb with a rookie who I think will be jus as good next year.

however I’m not going to sit here and say “ignore the elephant in the room” when I feel that this franchise could have had a legit super bowl contender if they just would have kept Kirk. So I’m going to be extra critical every time Alex makes a bad play, which is quite often.

Archived