Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

But the thing is I dont think Smith made those throws to receivers under Reid.  He primarily threw to backs and tight ends.  He had a season where he threw 0 TDs to a receiver.  In fact, every season his #2 receiver had 3 TDs or less.  Basically you were either Tyreek Hill, or you didnt get the ball that much from Smith as a WR.

Look at the absolute juggernaut the KC offense is right now.  Reid clearly knows what he was doing, and Smith was clearly holding it back, because with the same offensive weapons it went from good last season to phenominal.  So I dont think its a matter of he was making the throws, I think hes been like this most of his career, but KC covered it better.

To me, we are still discussing two separate things...

Whatever tendencies are in his DNA (checking down, favoring TEs, not forcing throws, etc.) are one thing. I agree with you there. But, what is surprising me is the fact that WHEN he throws the ball (to whomever he targets), he's been very inaccurate much more than I expected even when guys are open and have separation. 

Last year, even if Reid schemed every play perfectly, Smith still had to pat the ball, step, and throw accurately to amass the statistics he did. I've seen the picture of giant Andy Reid winning that Punt, Pass, and Kick contest as a child...but he wasn't out there last year making the physical throws for Smith. So, what's confusing to me is where that accuracy has gone. He's flat out missing open guys or not putting the ball in good spots even on some of his completions this year. 

That's what I hope will improve. 

when too many of us talk of cousins, pro or con, whether here or in the atn, it's usually more stupid than not.

based on forum history and current times, i'm considering posting a rule that we no longer mention cousins in this forum at least.

not because there's anything wrong ( or right) with him, but because of how there's so much wrong with so many of us. 

17 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Pretty much nailed it. But I'm going to hold out hope that Alex's ceiling is higher than we've seen. 

Before the season, like the previous few pre-seasons, the predictions for this season hovered around .500. We haven't officially exceeded them yet, but considering we're 5-2 with our offense not clicking on all cylinders, I'll remain optimistic that we can get this thing going.

With training camp , preseason and 8 weeks in. We should be clicking. So I don't see it happening with the players we have. 

12 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

when too many of us talk of cousins, pro or con, whether here or in the atn, it's usually more stupid than not.

based on forum history and current times, i'm considering posting a rule that we no longer mention cousins in this forum at least.

not because there's anything wrong ( or right) with him, but because of how there's so much wrong with so many of us. 

image.png.70981b8eea80b91a412b49cd7dc71e0f.png

15 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

It's strange to me how divisive he still is. I understood it more before everything went down, but not any longer. The team made mistakes a couple years ago and he seemed to want certain things out of FA at some point. It happened. 

At this point, I find some pleasure when he doesn't play like a $27M-per-year QB but it's fleeting unless we need the Vikings to lose to help us. 

18 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

With training camp , preseason and 8 weeks in. We should be clicking. So I don't see it happening with the players we have. 

There's "should be" in the idealistic viewpoint and there's "should be" based on reality and comps in this system. 

We have a new QB, a new starting RB, and a new starting WR who weren't here last year. So, saying the passing game "should" be clicking by a certain week is pretty arbitrary and may or may not be true. In 2014 with various QBs in year 1, we averaged fewer than 19 points per game. Even in 2015 with a full year of Cousins in his second year within the system...our offense had two great games vs. horrible defenses until mid-December when we finally went on our run to win the division. 

This stuff can take time. 

32 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

“It’s Mickey Mouse horse **** and we all have our hand in it.”

The Cousins talk actually dilutes the discussion about our current QB.  All the if’s presented work both ways but are entirely not quantifiable.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

There's "should be" in the idealistic viewpoint and there's "should be" based on reality and comps in this system. 

We have a new QB, a new starting RB, and a new starting WR who weren't here last year. So, saying the passing game "should" be clicking by a certain week is pretty arbitrary and may or may not be true. In 2014 with various QBs in year 1, we averaged fewer than 19 points per game. Even in 2015 with a full year of Cousins in his second year within the system...our offense had two great games vs. horrible defenses until mid-December when we finally went on our run to win the division. 

This stuff can take time. 

You don't sign a 35 year old QB to a $111 million contract to "take time". You do that to "win now". That is all we heard in the offseason, and about how much better Alex was.

The worst part is that for Smith, he's not even playing bad. He's playing slightly above his 5 years with KC.

The day we signed Alex Smith i have a friend of mine who is a die hard chiefs fan call me and say "You will win with Alex Smith. You will make the playoffs and have a great record. And you will hate Alex Smith every week and think he sucks and you are winning in spite of him.  He is boring, frustrating to watch, dumps off more often then not, and then wins"

This is who Alex smith is. And Im good with it.  

18 hours ago, Morneblade said:

You don't sign a 35 year old QB to a $111 million contract to "take time". You do that to "win now". That is all we heard in the offseason, and about how much better Alex was.

To be fair we are ‘winning now’. So far.

19 hours ago, CTskin said:

Kirk won't win it and Alex won't lose it. Still not sure which I'd prefer, but our current record improvement is a difficult factor to ignore.

Well, let's not act like we've had a difficult schedule starting out.  Our schedule thus far has been soft and favorable.  If Cousins were our QB, I believe we would be 6-1.  I believe we would have given the Saints a better fight.  With Cousins we always have a chance to win even coming from behind.  With Smith, we better be leading the game, ALL game because he is not good enough to bring us back from a sizable deficit.

12 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Well, let's not act like we've had a difficult schedule starting out.  Our schedule thus far has been soft and favorable.  If Cousins were our QB, I believe we would be 6-1.  I believe we would have given the Saints a better fight.  With Cousins we always have a chance to win even coming from behind.  With Smith, we better be leading the game, ALL game because he is not good enough to bring us back from a sizable deficit.

Comparing schedules, the Vikings have had just an easy of a schedule if not easier. Cardinals, Bills, 49ers, Jets... Btw, Cousins had a crack at NO and did not do well at all...

We really can't play the hypothetical game... But if you'd like to, go back and look at what Cousins has done with the Vikings. The same exact thing he did here, made the stat sheet look pretty and committed costly, gamechanging turnovers.

Alex Smith had ZERO turnovers in the last three games, all of which could have been lost if there was even one turnover. F the shootout scenario, give me the guy who doesn't give games away.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eli Manning looked like Aaron Rodgers against them, I watched that game.  If there is a game to go deep, its this one.  Should be interesting.

Admittedly, I didn't watch it, but kept up with it on my phone for fantasy purposes. So, I could be wrong, but it appeared like Eli did it all in garbage time and was barely serviceable through three quarters.

Regardless, I want the Redskins to play this new Redskins football. Run it down their throats, grind it, work the pass off of the run, and keep the Falcons offense off the field to avoid the shootout. Easier said than done, Matt Ryan has been on fire this year. If "Plan A" doesn't work, then the test will be on Alex. If he can't put points on the board vs the 30th ranked pass D in the league, then expectations will certainly be tempered. 

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eli Manning looked like Aaron Rodgers against them, I watched that game.  If there is a game to go deep, its this one.  Should be interesting.

This appears to be a subtle way to set expectations high for Alex next week.

Eli Manning was terrible that game. Sure statistics were decent, but situationally for most of game Eli was bad. The Giants struggled to score the entire game before a TD pass in the closing seconds. 

Youre sneaky. 

29 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Admittedly, I didn't watch it, but kept up with it on my phone for fantasy purposes. So, I could be wrong, but it appeared like Eli did it all in garbage time and was barely serviceable through three quarters.

Regardless, I want the Redskins to play this new Redskins football. Run it down their throats, grind it, work the pass off of the run, and keep the Falcons offense off the field to avoid the shootout. Easier said than done, Matt Ryan has been on fire this year. If "Plan A" doesn't work, then the test will be on Alex. If he can't put points on the board vs the 30th ranked pass D in the league, then expectations will certainly be tempered. 

Yes and no.  They did score a TD at the end of the game that was meaningless just like they did against us.  It was a one score game until midway the 4th quarter, Falcons then made it a 2 score, Giants scored one right back, 1 score again, then the Falcons had a field goal and put it away.   Eli's QBr score (which factors garbage time) about 20 points higher than his season average.  He had about 10 yds YPa, over 70% completion rate, about 400 yards.  good game for him aside from red zone play. 

I watched it with my wife who is a Giants fan I recall telling her, hey maybe the Giants don't suck after watching that one.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-falcons-1.22333759

Of course there were plays that produced. Eli Manning threw for 399 yards, Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard totaled 13 catches and 310 yards, and the Giants had three pass plays of at least 50 yards. But all of it was overshadowed by what they didn’t do. Couldn’t do. And, in a season in which the NFL is on pace to set offensive records, have yet to be able to do:

heir inability to find the end zone on a regular basis — on Monday night in particular against a porous Falcons defense that was allowing the second-most points in the league — has sunk them to 1-6 with four straight defeats. The Giants’ 23-20 loss to the Falcons at Mercedes-Benz Stadium was the latest example of ineptitude, combining questionable play-calling, unacceptable pass protection and just plain old stinky football.

“We’ve gotta score touchdowns when we get down there,” Shurmur said. “We did a good job of moving the ball. We have to score touchdowns.”

I think right now, everyone is happy we are winning. My concern is what happens if the offense doesn't improve? I don't think this is a good enough team for a playoff run as it is currently operating. Smith needs to get on the same page with his receivers and shake whatever is impacting his accuracy. 1-2 more scoring drives a game and we become a dangerous team. I think we can get there over the next few games. We don't need to be an elite offense. We just need to be an average offense to complement our top 5 defense. 

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This appears to be a subtle way to set expectations high for Alex next week.

Eli Manning was terrible that game. Sure statistics were decent, but situationally for most of game Eli was bad. The Giants struggled to score the entire game before a TD pass in the closing seconds. 

Youre sneaky. 

Yep I am that diabolical nothing gives me more pleasure than to set Alex up for a fall. :806:  Goskins apparently is on it, too since he made the same point.   Wonder who else is in on the conspiracy?  Atlanta's defense is secretly great. 

I just looked up the defenses DVOA rankings.  We are about to face the 31st worst team and 32nd worst team as to defenses based on Football Outsiders metrics back to back.   Next to last and then last.  In yards its the 29th and 30th. 

This is a good set up for him to put up some numbers and break loose.  Some like to accuse others of being locked in to be proven "right" about players.  Well for me, I am wrong so far about Alex.  I thought he would be good.  I get no personal vindication from "meh" play from the dude nor enjoy watching any player struggle.  And for me to be proven right he'd need to play well soon.  I hated the TJ Duckett deal but I rooted for Duckett.  I don't root against ANY Redskins player regardless of context.  I can't even get myself to root for them to lose when the season is lost and it elevates their draft status. 

And if I am worried by laying out we are about to play bad defenses because what happens if Alex still doesn't play well regardless -- then it would mean that deep down i think he might struggle regardless of the level of defense -- otherwise why worry.  I don't think he will struggle against either defense.  The wild card to me about both match ups is do they fall behind and if so that to me the biggest mystery about the dude -- can we win in a shoot out.  If we can get ahead in both games, I like our chances.   Both defenses we are about to play are really bad this season while their offenses have been prolific - so I think its a good test -- because its different than the recent match ups.  these teams aren't better than the last three teams aside from the Giants but they play with a different formula. 

Archived