Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dawg.... If I'd known the D was going to play like this and AP was going to go Rhaz al Ghul lazarus pit on everybody, I'd have done a go fund me for #8.

This dude is breaking my heart.

Kirk turned down more money the Jets offered him.  It wasn't all about the money for Kirk.  Just most of it and respect.

4 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

We are discussing a TRADE.

Players/Draft Picks are assets.  This really isn't difficult.

Welcome to extremeskins where everyone takes what you say completely different. 

Just read my message history. If I say Alex Smith sucks I get the “WTF DUDE GO LIKE ANOTHER TEAM THEN, YOUR OBVIOUSLY NOT HAPPY WE ARE WINNING”

lol

On 10/28/2018 at 5:35 PM, thebeermonkey said:

He's absolutely dreadful.

He was playing under a much much much better coach in KC who covered for his crapness.

You almost had me.....but I'm not sure about that one. As a matter of fact, its the coach's job to put his players in a position to succeed. Your comment speaks more to Gruden's ineptness than Smith. I will say that most QBs that play for Andy (or many under his coaches tree; the coach in Philly being one of them), seem to play at a high level - including Alex. So maybe a little of this is on Gruden. It seems like Alex is out there thinking a little bit too much. It also seems like he's pointing the ball. To me, Alex seems to have lost a little bit of confidence. And that's not hard when your sarcastic head coach is living vicariously through you (just a theory I've been pondering on. Might not be true about the vicarious part).

Anyway......

@Taylor according to reports in 2016 the Redskins opening bid to Cousins was $16 million per year 

Here are the top 6 base salaries for 2016

2016 Quarterback Base Rankings

PLAYER
BASE
1 Kirk Cousins

Kirk Cousins

QUARTERBACK
$19,953,000
2 Ben Roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger

QUARTERBACK
$17,750,000
3 Eli Manning

Eli Manning

QUARTERBACK
$17,500,000
4 Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford

QUARTERBACK
$17,000,000
5 Jay Cutler

Jay Cutler

QUARTERBACK
$16,000,000
6 Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan

QUARTERBACK
$15,750,000

So, if Cousins took the very opening bid, he would have been at least the fifth highest paid QB in the league. Now, Cousins knew the Redskins were prepared to franchise him so he set his "fair market value" at the top of the pay scale. He started with the franchise level and as you can see in the above chart that made him (measuring base salary) the highest paid QB by more than 2m.Do you think "fair market value" for a guy who to that point had never won a playoff game and had a shaky start and a strong finish was the largest contract ever for an NFL quarterback?

Now, I agree with you about the second year. The Redskins and Cousins placed their wagers and Kirk won. He had a phenomenal 2016 and the Redskins should have never started negotiations with a normal low bid and reportedly that's what they did. That was very bad form on Allen's part. He should have ponied up. He bet and lost. He should have offered Cousins a premium. After that botched round of negotiations it was over, but I contend that in 2016 Cousins' side was over the top. Bruce's opening bid was more than fair. It should have resulted in eventually in a good contract somewhere inbetween Cousins' agents sky high record breaking demands and Bruce Allen's top five bid.

Then again, maybe not. Cousins got what he wanted after all. Bruce Allen got nothing but egg on his face. Bruce Allen botched the negotiation and misjudged his leverage at every step. Cousins and his agent played it to maximize their money (as they should.) I have no major problems with a player being greedy, but damn Cousins was a greedy guy especially in 2015 and 16.

Edit: Apologies to the moderators. I'm done rehashing Cousins contract history after this point. Taylor or whomever is welcome to have the last word.

I appreciate Smith. He's not playing at the level he did in KC but we have to give the offense more time to gel. The receivers have been banged up, and some don't look like they give a sh*t. CT is only just getting back to full health. Only reliable options are AP pounding the rock and Reed on 3rd down :P 

We're good enough to get to the playoffs and get beaten by a better team. But with the D looking so good, there's lots to look forward to.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, redskins4ever28 said:

however I’m not going to sit here and say “ignore the elephant in the room” when I feel that this franchise could have had a legit super bowl contender if they just would have kept Kirk. So I’m going to be extra critical every time Alex makes a bad play, which is quite often.

Smith missed some throws yesterday, no doubt, but what gets me is people on here ragging on him in the first quarter, when at the time he was like 8 for 9, the offense was moving the ball, and he was either finding the open man or throwing the ball into tight windows for a completion.  At that point, the criticism seemed to be agenda driven.  Over the next three quarters, he definitely earned his criticism. 

And as someone who wanted the skins to do whatever it took to keep cousins, bc he was our first legit qb in ages, I remember him throwing the ball into the ground for a month to begin the season (2016?) And some of the costly turnovers during his tenure.  Disappearing in must win games.  And he was heavily criticized at the time, but now that he is elsewhere, he is remembered as a much better QB than he was when he was here.

I understand the criticism of Smith's play, he deserves it, but I feel many are ragging on him as an "I told you so bc I posted in 2015 that we should keep Kirk".  As Rick pitino would say, Kirk cousins is not walking thru that door.  And if you get your wish, and we turn to a QB who pushes the ball downfield, it won't be long before a couple turnovers later we hear people wishing how we had a QB who would protect the football so we can win football games.  As in the one we all were complaining about while he was here but then wish we had after he left.  Be careful what you wish for.  

Bottom line, while our passing offense has looked dreadful at times, it has also helped move the ball steadily down the field at times.  And even the scoreless second halves have met the primary goal, kill the clock and win the field position battle.  Hopefully we get our WRs on the practice field and they can develop a better rapport. Until then, smith is our QB, cousins ain't coming back and mccoy is not the answer, and its up to gruden to find ways to make him successful.  Smith won't be the perfect QB, but others around him need to step up their game as well so we have a well rounded offense that can do enough to win games.  With this defense, we don't need a high powered attack.  A conservative, ball control offense can win games for us.

Once again, this definitely applies

27 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, if Cousins took the very opening bid, he would have been at least the fifth highest paid QB in the league.

So you make a long rambling post and conveniently only want to use the base salary. How convenient while also totally inaccurate.

Below are the actual real numbers but you already knew this:

Eli Manning Giants $24,200,000 $18,000,000
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers $23,950,000 $17,750,000
Matt Ryan Falcons $23,750,000 $15,750,000
Joe Flacco Ravens $22,550,000 $44,000,000
Matt Stafford Lions $22,500,000 $17,000,000
Tony Romo Cowboys $20,835,000 $8,500,000
Colin Kaepernick 49ers $20,231,507 $14,300,000
Kirk Cousins Redskins $19,953,000 $19,953,000
Cam Newton Panthers $19,500,000 $23,000,000
Aaron Rodgers Packers $19,250,000 $12,600,000
Russell Wilson Seahawks $18,542,000 $12,342,000
Andrew Luck Colts $18,400,000 $44,000,000
Carson Palmer Cardinals $18,375,000 $18,500,000
Alex Smith Chiefs $17,800,000 $14,200,000

And we also know the reason why Cousins was paid that much. Bruce and Dan are morons. There really is no factual debate but you can continue posting misleading information in order to make Bruce and Dan look slightly less moronic if that somehow makes you feel better. They chose to use the franchise tag. It was their decision. Cousins did not make that decision for them. They chose not to sign him for pennies on the dollar before he started 2015 and instead decided to sign RG3's option year while Dan was still participating in the RG3 bowling league. They had years and years of opportunities to do it the right way but all the way up until 2015 these clowns fired and hired head coaches based on wanting to continue trotting out garbage ass RG3. 

Now we're back to 2008-2009 watching Jason Campbell dump it off for 3-5 yards on 3rd and 9. I am so excited bro, can't you tell? ?

http://bangcartoon.com/2004/passingfancy.htm

On 10/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Warhead36 said:

Combination of his natural conservative playstyle coupled with a really bad set of skill players and a coach that isn't doing a good job calling/designing offense right now.

I would've agreed w/ you a few weeks ago. But over the last 4 weeks, Alex had left a bucket of points on the field. Doctson is getting open. No he's not burning corners but that's never been his game. Agreed Jay's  playcalling will leave you scratching your head at the worse times. This O could be deadly if Alex wasn't holding it back.

I've said it before and I'll take what Alex Smith is doing now in the first half of the season as he's produced 5-2 results.  Thanks Mr.Smith.

The first half of the season is over, so I'll hope that Alex Smith gets more comfortable and plays even better.  Cheers Mr. Smith.

If the Skins keep it up they'll be in good position to be in it to win it at the end of the season.  Let's Go!  Mr. Smith

8 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Or maybe the FO knew that Cousins sucked all along. The time in Minnesota will tell us that. They are already calling him a bust. 

Um, no they are not. Sure you may be able to find one or two articles written by idiots, you can always find that. But the general consensus is Kirk Cousins is playing very well in Minnesota.  

6 hours ago, #BgMase76# said:

I would've agreed w/ you a few weeks ago. But over the last 4 weeks, Alex had left a bucket of points on the field. Doctson is getting open. No he's not burning corners but that's never been his game. Agreed Jay's  playcalling will leave you scratching your head at the worse times. This O could be deadly if Alex wasn't holding it back.

We tink Jay's play calling is average.  How do we know that Alex is not the reason it seems this way.  I am sure Jay is not calling a 3 yard pass when we have 6 to get a first down, but when Alex is afraid or off timing to hit a receiver for 13 plus yards but takes a checkdown then how can we blame Jay.  And you know why I know that?  Jay didn't start calling plays this year.  With Cousins last year, a banged up OL and no running game tell me you didn't feel we had a chance to make a first down on say a 3rd and 5 yards.  And tell me how confident you are with Smith making said 3rd down.  All I can say is I hope he improves because right now this D is playing lights out, something they didn't do because mainly of injuries last year.  Remember don't look at our record, you can't, when we were the worse rushing D in the league last year.  

18 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

We tink Jay's play calling is average.  How do we know that Alex is not the reason it seems this way.  I am sure Jay is not calling a 3 yard pass when we have 6 to get a first down, but when Alex is afraid or off timing to hit a receiver for 13 plus yards but takes a checkdown then how can we blame Jay.  And you know why I know that?  Jay didn't start calling plays this year.  With Cousins last year, a banged up OL and no running game tell me you didn't feel we had a chance to make a first down on say a 3rd and 5 yards.  And tell me how confident you are with Smith making said 3rd down.  All I can say is I hope he improves because right now this D is playing lights out, something they didn't do because mainly of injuries last year.  Remember don't look at our record, you can't, when we were the worse rushing D in the league last year.  

Exactly. I have no idea why anyone would try to excuse away the play of Smith by blaming the coaches etc.   Cousins had the same coaches and a far worse supporting cast yet he was capable of converting 3rd and 9 or making up a 14 point deficit.  

What's wrong with Alex?  As a passer, Alex has been below average with the Redskins.  Period.  Point blank.

What's right with Alex?  He doesn't turn the ball over.  Pick sixes, fumble returns for TDs, and turnovers deep in one's own territory are demoralizing to a defense, the team, and the fan base.  Unfortunately, Cousins did that quite a few times, especially late in games.  

The defense and the team (a 5-2 record) has benefited greatly from Alex's ball security.  This is critical to a team whose strength is its defense and Washington has that.

4 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

What's wrong with Alex?  As a passer, Alex has been below average with the Redskins.  Period.  Point blank.

What's right with Alex?  He doesn't turn the ball over.  Pick sixes, fumble returns for TDs, and turnovers deep in one's own territory are demoralizing to a defense, the team, and the fan base.  Unfortunately, Cousins did that quite a few times, especially late in games.  

The defense and the team (a 5-2 record) has benefited greatly from Alex's ball security.  This is critical to a team whose strength is its defense and Washington has that.

Just a question here and I know its hypothetical.  What would be our record last year if we had instead of the last rush defense, top 5 like we do this year?  Do we win three more games and make the playoffs?  And what would our record be last year if we had AP running the ball last year instead of freaking Kelly and Perine, fumble machine?   Can you imagine Ds stacking the line because they were afraid of AP running like he is doing this year?  I will not even go into the injuries on both lines because that would make it even more lopsided.  who knows the best of Alex might be he is damn lucky QB

2 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Just a question here and I know its hypothetical.  What would be our record last year if we had instead of the last rush defense, top 5 like we do this year?  Do we win three more games and make the playoffs?  And what would our record be last year if we had AP running the ball last year instead of freaking Kelly and Perine, fumble machine?   Can you imagine Ds stacking the line because they were afraid of AP running like he is doing this year?  I will not even go into the injuries on both lines because that would make it even more lopsided.  who knows the best of Alex might be he is damn lucky QB

I hear you.  I think we would have a shot at a super bowl with Cousins this year.  But only if he could avoid the untimely backbreaking mistakes he has a tendency to make especially in big games.

Ultimately, they play to win championships.  So, I would definitely take Cousins over Alex since that is the goal.  Unfortunately, the Cousins ship has sailed and Alex is the QB.  The best trait a pedestrian QB can have is he doesn't turn the ball over and Alex doesn't.

44 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

But only if he could avoid the untimely backbreaking mistakes he has a tendency to make especially in big games.

There's a reason for some of those backbreakers.  He was literally the only shot we had to win games for his 3 years as a starter.  No run game and a putrid defense.  It's almost the same this year in Minnesota.  No run game and a subpar defense.  He has to make more throws because the team around him isn't good enough (like the Redskins this year) to where he can take what the defense gives him and run out the clock.  

Archived