Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Is he, though? I mean, I understand the way he distributed the ball has always been this way. But some of his passes have a lot more wobble than I'm used to seeing them when watching him with the Chiefs. Usually the passes came in on spirals. He's got ducks firing out of his hand way more often than I would have expected.

I actually spend a entire paragraph on that exactly thing in the exact same thing LKB quoted. I hope he is not going to just physically fall apart like Brunell did when he was here.

But I'm seeing signs of it.

49 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I actually spend a entire paragraph on that exactly thing in the exact same thing LKB quoted. I hope he is not going to just physically fall apart like Brunell did when he was here.

But I'm seeing signs of it.

I was at training camp the year before it was so distinct to see the difference when you watched Kirk and Colt throw back to back.  Kirk's throws had some mustard and were crisp spirals.  Colt's throws floated without much zip on it.  And yeah we all knew that as a fact but it really grabbed me when I watched it back to back.  

I watched the first half of the Minnesota game on TV, game 1, while at my hotel outside the Cardinals stadium.  Then I went to watch the game and watched Alex in warm ups and again you could see the difference.  Alex had a little more zip to his throws than Colt but not by much to my eyes.

Watching Alex this year, I think he can put some mustard on his throws when he steps into his throws but for the most part not sure if its his footwork or whatever but his balls have that similar floating feel to them like Colt's throws. 

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Alex Smith is about to ball the **** out.

He knows he must put this team of the broken and downtrodden, put them on his shoulders and carry them over Hamburger Hill.

If games were played under water, he would be the Tom Brady of underwater professional football. The guy is a ****ing fish, breathing for him is optional. Dolphins ask him for advice.

image.thumb.png.66aafca65fcb16b6a08ffd854028225b.png

well said sir. you win the internet!  and yes. alex is about to ball out.

5 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I heard from a friend who was at the game that on multiple occasions, Alex didn't see receivers running wide open down the field. Of course that happens to all QBs but he said it was overtly obvious and repetitive. Maybe it has to do with comfort in the offense of maybe he just doesn't see the field as well as other QBs. Either way, I think the struggling passing game isn't about the WRs or the scheme. 

This is obvious to most who watch the game. Mahomes has had as many TD passes through 8 games this year that Alex Smith had the whole 2017 season... with the same team. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This is obvious to most who watch the game. Mahomes has had as many TD passes through 8 games this year that Alex Smith had the whole 2017 season... with the same team. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

...in his 2nd year in the NFL, first time as a starter.

3 more actually. And for Alex, that was a career year.:huh:

I wonder if he is injured. Anyone remember a huge hit on his shoulder, or hand hitting a helmet, or ?  Finger perhaps.

Some of his throws.... something is not right.  Brooks Laich used to say anytime a hockey player is not being themselves, they are injured. And playing through it.  Heck Alex's first play in preseason, he got throttled pretty good. 

Whats wrong with Alex? The same thing that was wrong with #8? Let's not forget here. Its obvious, this particular offense (that get's receivers running wide open), takes time to master. Andy Dalton was a interception king the entire time he was in this offense. #8 had numbers, but was up there among the league leaders in interceptions in this offense. As a matter of fact, many said that near the end of his contract, #8 would check down to maintain his stats in order not to blow that big contract he's enjoying now.  

Here's a question....what NFL QB has taken full advantage of this elaborate offense? So far, none. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/nfl-kirk-cousins-contract-redskins-eagles

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If it doesn’t happen today, I’m afraid it’s never going to happen.  There isn’t much excuse for the Skins not to be able to move the football against this team, even with the Oline injuries. 

What if Josh Doctson drops the first two balls that hit him in the hands?

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Serious question.  Is there any outcome today that would not result in the trashing of Alex Smith by our usual suspects?

Lol no and people positioning themselves nicely to say “it was the bucs.” 

Still they are right. If it doesn’t happen today it probably won’t. Heres to a good performance for Smith and the team today we need this one!

39 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What if Josh Doctson drops the first two balls that hit him in the hands?

It won't matter, as long as he catches the next 10 and two for a TD on a fade. :)

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Serious question.  Is there any outcome today that would not result in the trashing of Alex Smith by our usual suspects?

I think it depends on how he plays. If it is dink and donks and we still wins then yes there is a concern and lot of it. You are not going to stay up with high powered offenses even if you win your 1st playoff game. If we even get that far. 

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

No one on this board wants Smith to fail.  NONE of us.  However, what is true about this board, is the intolerance of some, when anyone criticizes Alex's ****ty and I mean ****ty play.  The guy, given what we are paying him, is playing like hot garbage.  But no problem.  As long as he does not turn it over, its all good.  You know what? I would take some QB who had the balls to air it out a few times to keep the D honest.   And if he throws an INT so the **** what.  He has to mix this up NOW.  

They are going to stack the box and force Alex to throw.  We all know this. What DC wouldn't at this point?  Now.  If he connects on a few the Bucs lose.  They will be forced to drop into coverage and Alex can revert to his dinking and dunking down the field. 

Of course we want him to ball out.  Who wants to sit through 4 quarters of this torture?  I am sick of it.

41 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sure, he could go:

35-48 with 425 yards, 4 td's and a pick.

36-50 with 422 yards, 3 td's and no picks

In other words, he could look like a good NFL QB having a good day.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sure, he could go:

35-48 with 425 yards, 4 td's and a pick.

36-50 with 422 yards, 3 td's and no picks

In other words, he could look like a good NFL QB having a good day.

Dalton went 21-34 for 280 and 2 tds against the Bucs. If Alex can get close to that with all the new faces, it would be a superb performance.

Archived