Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

We made the same mistake with Collins that we did with Jeremiah Trotter - fixating on a dude in the division whose dynamism was rather obviously based on the system he played in, and then being surprised when we can't just plug and play him in another system, as though such dismal results weren't readily foreseeable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how Collins can look at the Daniel Jones TD* scamper around the edge he was coming in from and not acknowledge how that was mainly on him.  He was so focussed on getting the sack, that he took an angle too close to the D-lineman, giving containment on the edge and Jones took advantage of that.

TD* = because Jones' TD run got called back.

I didn't like what I saw of Collins on the field, nor how he handled his interview.

The most confusing thing with Collins right now is that we have Curl who proved himself last season, so what is it about Collins that keeps him on the field with his level of play despite having someone more than capable ready to go?  

Also, it seems like Collins is not being used to his strengths, which I thought was a relic of the past when it come to how this front office targeted free agents?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The most confusing thing with Collins right now is that we have Curl who proved himself last season, so what is it about Collins that keeps him on the field with his level of play despite having someone more than capable ready to go?  

I would hate the idea that they are playing Collins more than Curl because of the size of Collins' contract. Like they feel obligated to play him to justify the money.

Coach Riviera said that the players playing the best will start, regardless of contract numbers.

I wouldn't think there would be any reason to doubt him, but now I'm not so sure.

Edited by SkinsGuy

36 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I would hate the idea that they are playing Collins more than Curl because of the size of Collins' contract. Like they feel obligated to play him to justify the money.

Coach Riviera said that the players playing the best will start, regardless of contract numbers.

I wouldn't think there would be any reason to doubt him, but now I'm not so sure.

I don't think its about the contract as much as it is that Collins does have a track record of being an All Pro at one point. Now granted, that was like five years ago, but still, when coaches have a player that has displayed that kind of ability, they feel like they gotta see if they can get it out of him again.

But Collins isn't that guy anymore. He wasn't before the injury and he definitely won't be now that he's gonna be a half a step slower after the injury. My guess is he'll end up sitting soon in favor of Curl(not full time but lose more snaps) and then be cut at season's end.

• Like 1

When bad things happen, you can count on Collins to be a big part of the reason why.  The Jones RPO TD that wasn't, the blown coverage on the Slayton TD that wasn't.  Opposing OCs know that Collins is a liability and they go after him.  IMO, just put  Curl and MCcain out there and be done with it.

Edited by SAli457180
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Thing is, late august, there were lts of articles about how Landon Collins was back, how he was healthy and ready to rock n roll in the D.

Obviously that was just preseason and I'm not seeing this translating into regular season.

It all started with a big hit in Week 2 of the preseason, but besides that, I'm not convinced that "he's back".

58 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Thing is, late august, there were lts of articles about how Landon Collins was back, how he was healthy and ready to rock n roll in the D.

Obviously that was just preseason and I'm not seeing this translating into regular season.

It all started with a big hit in Week 2 of the preseason, but besides that, I'm not convinced that "he's back".

The D as a whole was vastly overhyped in camp, probably because they were dominating our crappy Fitzpatrick-led offense.

• Thumb up 1

Never liked the signing.  So I get you're stuck paying for Collins.  I get Collins might look at during practice.  What I don't get is how does Landon Collins see the field so much when it doesn't happen during game day.  He has a job to do as Safety and he consistently messes up his assignments.  Bench him.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, NoCalMike said:

Also, it seems like Collins is not being used to his strengths, which I thought was a relic of the past when it come to how this front office targeted free agents?

This is the key thing here.  Collins needs to be essentially used as a linebacker and needs to play around the line of scrimmage.  He's terrible in coverage.

Used to his strengths, I think he can be pretty good.  Yes, he's been disappointing but he's not the only member of the defense that has been.

• Like 2

Collins is the Jaylon Smith on our defense. He thinks he's great, the coaching staff thinks he's great, then you put on the film and watch him, and holy ****, he's basically responsible for nearly every big play against the defense. 

The amount of hype he got from the media was ridiculous, anyone with a brain knew it wasn't going to carry over into game days. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

I don't think it's contract. I think it's measurables. This offseason, Rivera and co. made a huge push to upgrade the speed of the defense. If I remember correctly, Collins is fast while Kurl is not. Mind you, fast doesn't help if you make mistakes, play out of position, etc because the relative difference between fast and not fast (Let's say 4.5 vs. 4.8 is very slight).

32 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Box safety's are a dime a dozen and yet plenty of teams continue to make the monumental error of overpaying for them. It's odd. I'm with those vying for Curl and McCain.

You should be a Jamal Adams type to get paid as a box safety.

McCain has had a couple of moments, but otherwise has been solid. I would agree McCain and Curl have to be on the field more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1