Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

It really baffles me when a player is really good, which Collins was in New York, went to three Pro Bowls, then absolutely falls off.  Is it a change of systems?  Lack of conditioning?  Lack of motivation?  Maybe a little bit of all three.  I just don't get it, we can't be that bad of an organization where dudes come here and straight suck just because.  There has to be a reason.

NY media propping him up as really good cannot be overlooked.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

It really baffles me when a player is really good, which Collins was in New York, went to three Pro Bowls, then absolutely falls off.  Is it a change of systems?  Lack of conditioning?  Lack of motivation?  Maybe a little bit of all three.  I just don't get it, we can't be that bad of an organization where dudes come here and straight suck just because.  There has to be a reason.

It's like our 2020 season, we played against some bad offenses that year that made our defense look great.  His best year in 2016, was against the a list of crappy offenses.

Case Keenum led Rams, with Jeff Fisher as headcoach.

Jay Cutler's retirement tour

Josh McCown led Browns

Andy Dalton led Bengals

Joe Flacco

Carson Wentz rookie year x2

Eli Manning x2

Dak Prescott rookie year x2

In the blowout playoff loss against Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers went 25-40, 362 yards, 4 TD's, 0 Int's,

So Landon Collins best year, in 2016, WAS really good.  But strength of competition wasn't good.  And in each ensuing year he looked worse and worse.  In 2018, I really don't know how he made the pro-bowl.  He was already poor in coverage at that point.  His run defense was better, so maybe that's why?  He's washed up at this point and can't break down while approaching against a NFL caliber athlete to make a tackle.

Missed Tackle Rate:

2018: 8.6% (last season with Giants)

2019: 12%

2020: 18%

2021: 15.2%

I'd also argue 15.2% should be double that, as he's now too slow to actually get near the ballcarrier to make a tackle.  For reference to our other linebackers (as Collins is one now), Holcomb's missed tackle rate is 9.4%, Davis's is 6.9%, and Bostic's was 15.4%.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He made Pro Bowls as an in the box Safety but those types of players are being phased out. Jamal Adams is the same way in Seattle and has been complete garbagio this year. Its all about having range and speed nowadays.

Box Safety was phased out in 2007.  Remember Roy Williams in Dallas?  1st round pick, multiple pro-bowls, then offenses started using the slot WR better and TE's became more of a passing threat and suddenly he was quickly out of the league.

Lone exception might be Kam Chancellor, but he had HoF talent in the secondary and linebacker groups to make things easier for him and let his box-safety talent shine.

Jamal Adams isn't just a box safety though.  His pass rushing skills are maybe the best from a safety ever.  But their new DC doesn't like blitzing safeties, which is utterly foolish because that's Adams best skill.  You need an aggressive defensive scheme to use Jamal Adams, not a play it safe Cover 2 shell like they have been using.

• Like 1