Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

14 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

If Collins doesn't get benched I'm going to be very confused and upset as to why they are sticking with him over Kurl. 

I’m with you 1000%.

It is likely a tough decision for the coaches. Collins and Bostic are the type of leaders and classroom examples the coaching staff promote. Those aren’t the type of guys you want disgruntled. 

Edited by Leonard Washington

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think a big reason Collins isn’t playing well is what we expect from safeties schematically. Collins would excel as a robber safety who eyeballs the QB and makes plays. He’d likely be fine as a 2 high strong safety as well. 

He struggles rolling down into the box and playing run support. Playing man under 2-high is a weak point too because he breaks on anything that he perceived as uncovered. 

Collins CAN play in the league. And well… but unless we change our approach it won’t be here.

This. And yes the DL has been a disappointment so far as well. But opposing offenses are getting the ball out quick. My issue with JDR's scheme so far is that if opponents are going to play the quick passing game he needs to press more. Just sitting back and letting them quick pass you to death isnt gonna work when the DL has no time to get home. You need your secondary to disrupt routes so the QB's timing is thrown off. I am sure JDR will adjust that going forward. Fuller and WJ3 are better at press than zone anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's trying to do too much right now, while having Curl breathing down his neck for PT.

By the end of the season, I think we'll be pretty happy he's on the team. (of course not with his contract)

I was thinking and hoping for that too but after watching Daniel Jones burn and then pull away from him making him look like a fool I've kind of lost faith in that happening. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mojo said:

I was really year 2 in the system was going to allow the D to come out of the gates quickly but they just as lost and confused as they did at the beginning of last season.

Isn't it a thing where defenses have to adjust to offenses every year and they tend to perform better down the stretch or is that the other way around?

2 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

Isn't it a thing where defenses have to adjust to offenses every year and they tend to perform better down the stretch or is that the other way around?

Its more so that as the weather gets colder and guys start to get worn down/injured that offenses start dropping off more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redskinss said:

I was thinking and hoping for that too but after watching Daniel Jones burn and then pull away from him making him look like a fool I've kind of lost faith in that happening. 

Yeah, I watched that happen with a furrowed brow. Collins, a DB, couldn't catch a quarterback who ran a 4.80 40 time at the combine. Pretty pathetic.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's trying to do too much right now, while having Curl breathing down his neck for PT.

By the end of the season, I think we'll be pretty happy he's on the team. (of course not with his contract)

I can't come to the same conclusion. He was average his first year, certainly didn't live up to his contract or match his play in NY. Last year he was bad before the injury, now he's bad again. He has never played well here and I'm not expecting this to change.  It is mind boggling that they continue to play him.  Curl should be returned to his best position and the signed a FS in free agency.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I can't come to the same conclusion. He was average his first year, certainly didn't live up to his contract or match his play in NY. Last year he was bad before the injury, now he's bad again. He has never played well here and I'm not expecting this to change.  It is mind boggling that they continue to play him.  Curl should be returned to his best position and the signed a FS in free agency.  

That's fair. He has the ability to be a very good player, so the potential is there.

We signed McCain for FS but he hasn't been good for us.

Curl’s playing time has increased from week 1 to week 2.

I think the coaching staff was trying to figure out how to play all their safeties.  It’s a bit of an experiment at the moment.  

Eventually I think they’re going to realize the best situation is with Curl on the field and Collins on the sidelines.  But I don’t blame them for at least trying to get everybody playing time. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, ExoDus84 said:

Yeah, I watched that happen with a furrowed brow. Collins, a DB, couldn't catch a quarterback who ran a 4.80 40 time at the combine. Pretty pathetic.

Jones must have some kind of Turbo Boost because he had the fastest running speed in the entire league on one of his TD runs. How is that possible?

Im not surprised, personally I thought he was a poor safety coming out of college and couldnt understand the first round hype for him leading up to the draft.  He could make some hits but was terrible in coverage, and was actually a really bad tackler.  It just look like he used his physical abilities to knock players down.  Any player taken in the draft has the talent to produce some good games and hope for people, but he never had any real "football" tools and the longer we hang on to him the more we are just fooling ourselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Im not surprised, personally I thought he was a poor safety coming out of college and couldnt understand the first round hype for him leading up to the draft.  He could make some hits but was terrible in coverage, and was actually a really bad tackler.  It just look like he used his physical abilities to knock players down.  Any player taken in the draft has the talent to produce some good games and hope for people, but he never had any real "football" tools and the longer we hang on to him the more we are just fooling ourselves.

That's not really fair. Collins was at one point very good. You don't get named All Pro for nothing. The problem is he's an in the box Safety in a league that is shifting more and more to being much more wide open and vertical. The only real worthwhile in the box Safety in the league now is Jamaal Adams because of how good of a blitzer he is so his pass rush/ability to get sacks more than makes up for being a non factor in coverage. Collins doesn't have that ability. On top of all that, he's coming off injury so his quickness has gone down.

What exactly is an “in box” safety as a safety you need to be able to cover and play jn the box and make plays i dont think he can do either... have people not seen him in the box and overplaying the run vs jones twice? Or should we be strictly using him as an outside linebacker?....theres no defending his play here its been horrid imo. Which is why we shouldnt be giving large contracrs to players on crap football teams.

He’s gotten generational wealth because he went to Bama, had an unsustainable 2016, and got Bruce Allen horny because he was a Sean Taylor fan. I’m glad to see guys get paid because careers are fleeting but i HATE that my team is the one paying him…especially after being overrated for a rival.

He’s the last bastion of the Bruce Allen era and once he’s gone, I’ll be glad. Also by all accounts, he’s a great guy and teammate. I just hate his game as a player. Hate it. 

33 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He’s gotten generational wealth because he went to Bama, had an unsustainable 2016, and got Bruce Allen horny because he was a Sean Taylor fan. I’m glad to see guys get paid because careers are fleeting but i HATE that my team is the one paying him…especially after being overrated for a rival.

He’s the last bastion of the Bruce Allen era and once he’s gone, I’ll be glad. Also by all accounts, he’s a great guy and teammate. I just hate his game as a player. Hate it. 

**** it sucks..excuse my language but it does...when he was with..them..I remember so many big ints he had...even returned for tds..but here it's been complete meh..he leaves than starts to ball out again and comes at us like Jason taylor I'll be so pissed!!

30 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

**** it sucks..excuse my language but it does...when he was with..them..I remember so many big ints he had...even returned for tds..but here it's been complete meh..he leaves than starts to ball out again and comes at us like Jason taylor I'll be so pissed!!

I wouldn't worry about Landon Collins being a threat/problem on a rival.

Like Norman, his career is going downhill fast. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I wouldn't worry about Landon Collins being a threat/problem on a rival.

Like Norman, his career is going downhill fast. 

Thank ****ing God Bruce is gone...only thing he ever got right was choosing to drink coors light!!!..I'm a poet and didn't know it...Go WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM!!!

• Haha 1