Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

Contract Terms: 6 yrears / $84,000,000 !!!!  Another example why most of the FA big money seekers don't live up to their big juicy contracts, and we've got a bad history about that.

That was a huge over reach under the Bruce Allen regime to "win off the field".

Unfortunate because Collins is nowhere near worth it 😕

23 hours ago, method man said:

You know how we pay Payne and Sweat? Let Scherff, Collins and Fuller go

Scherff shouldn't be here this season, No way he will be here next year. He has so called turned down a deal which would have made him the highest paid G in the NFL. Personally I would have taken a 2nd/3rd round pick for him and gone with Schweitzer at RG, and spent the 15m on upgrading the LB's. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Collins and Scherff are definitely gone. Fuller I'm not sure. I know he's struggling now but he was good last year and his contract isn't that bad I don't think. Plus its just really hard to find good Corners.

Fuller gets another year. 

It'll end up being a 3 yr $31.5 million deal for him.

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

That was a huge over reach under the Bruce Allen regime to "win off the field".

Unfortunate because Collins is nowhere near worth it 😕

2022 Post June 1st trade or cut --> dead money : $4,200,000
 cap savings : $12,000,000

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Has it been declared he’s playing poorly? Is there something out there breaking down his play over the first two weeks? 

Just watching him. He is freelancing, not a good tackler and trying to do too much instead of his 1/11th. In a blitz defense (which this needs to be) you can’t freestyle. You have to do your job. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Why though? Curious, wanting to learn more about his play up to this point. 

Off the top of my head he got juked out by Daniel Jones for what was almost a touchdown if it weren't for a flag. Not to mention he doesn't have the closing speed to catch up to him. He was off the edge, he bit hard on the handoff to the RB. Does that look like a top paid safety to you? I don't need a PFF grade to tell me he sucks. but If you want his 2021 grade its 47.6, which sucks for a top paid FA. He has sucked ever since he got here. 

• Like 1

I think a big reason Collins isn’t playing well is what we expect from safeties schematically. Collins would excel as a robber safety who eyeballs the QB and makes plays. He’d likely be fine as a 2 high strong safety as well. 

He struggles rolling down into the box and playing run support. Playing man under 2-high is a weak point too because he breaks on anything that he perceived as uncovered. 

Collins CAN play in the league. And well… but unless we change our approach it won’t be here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Jones has enough speed and angle that he would have outrun most safeties. Plays like this happen but overall the defense is not doing enough. 

Yes he has enough speed but if you see the play Collins bites....had he held his containment jones gets tackled for a loss Danny Dimes is NOT mike vick.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Jones has enough speed and angle that he would have outrun most safeties. Plays like this happen but overall the defense is not doing enough. 

If you think Jones is fast, Josh Allen is faster than him.  Adjustments need to be made or it's going to be a real long day next Sunday.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think a big reason Collins isn’t playing well is what we expect from safeties schematically. Collins would excel as a robber safety who eyeballs the QB and makes plays.

Can this actually be a consistent role for some one within the structure of a whole defense? I’ve heard of top end FS roaming and getting outside of the scheme when they felt a play was to be made (Ed Reed or Polamalu), but thought that was more being opportunistic within the structure of a scheme. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He struggles rolling down into the box and playing run support. Playing man under 2-high is a weak point too because he breaks on anything that he perceived as uncovered.

Well damn, I thought this was his strength. 

8 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Besides allowing the Jones run. Rivera mentioned that the safety (Collins) was supposed to stay high on the Slayton TD drop. 

Eeek… did not know that was confirmed. Okay, then, missing containment of Jones’ run and assignment to be the deep safety are not good. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

If you think Jones is fast, Josh Allen is faster than him.  Adjustments need to be made or it's going to be a real long day next Sunday.

Allen can score on his feet too.

in his first 3 years, prior to this season, he had 25 rushing TD's

He's averaging almost 9 Rushing TD's per year.

With runs as long as 45, 36, and 24 yards.

Often he can run for a TD, longer than Dustin Hopkins can kick a FG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Just watching him. He is freelancing, not a good tackler and trying to do too much instead of his 1/11th. In a blitz defense (which this needs to be) you can’t freestyle. You have to do your job. 

This was exactly his problem last year. It's no surprise that after he got hurt we suddenly saw the defense improve and stop allowing big plays. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Eeek… did not know that was confirmed. Okay, then, missing containment of Jones’ run and assignment to be the deep safety are not good. 

Do you remember the Julie Donaldson interview with Del Rio in the offseason  They talked Landon Collins and he mentioned Landon needing to "be in the right place, at the right time". 

This isn't new. They're working with the talent they have, and there are some good moments to be fair, but the bad amounting to a couple of TDs per game will negate the positives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Has it been declared he’s playing poorly? Is there something out there breaking down his play over the first two weeks? 

You watch Thursday night’s games.  Someone already mentioned Daniel Jones long run where Collins took a bad angle.  How about Slayton’s dropped TD where no defender was within 20 yards of him?  That was on Collins who bit on the TE

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think a big reason Collins isn’t playing well is what we expect from safeties schematically. Collins would excel as a robber safety who eyeballs the QB and makes plays. He’d likely be fine as a 2 high strong safety as well. 

Collins CAN play in the league. And well… but unless we change our approach it won’t be here.

Seems like typical WFT, asking players to do things outside their skill set. 

39 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Seems like typical WFT, asking players to do things outside their skill set. 

I think those days are gone.  We’re establishing what we do offensively and defensively.  Now we draft to that.  Collins is a hold over.  We let him play and maybe someone gives us something.  He’s gone after this season either way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

I think those days are gone.  We’re establishing what we do offensively and defensively.  Now we draft to that.  Collins is a hold over.  We let him play and maybe someone gives us something.  He’s gone after this season either way

No thanks. Let Kam Curl play. Bench this bum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Besides allowing the Jones run. Rivera mentioned that the safety (Collins) was supposed to stay high on the Slayton TD drop. 

Can we please stop calling that a drop?  He was open by 30 yards and Jones overthrew him.  All he had to do was lay it up and instead made him full sprint and extend and it still just barely touched his fingertips.  Lets not miss a chance to dunk on DJ please :)

USATSI_16766063.jpg

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1