Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I mean, if we're worried about loose lips sinking this ship in regards to what FA safety we're signing off the scrap heap, I dunno.  I agree to a certain extent but I really don't care what gets leaked when it comes to in season FA acquisitions.  

Actually I was referring to his injury, the reports were that they feared he tore his Achilles but I haven't seen any confirmation. 

Does anybody know if that's been confirmed yet?

• Like 1

Collins was ok. Just spent a lot of time making up for the FS issues. We've seen many times when he does play within his capability, he's making big hits for losses and causing turnovers. Communication was always the issue with this defense in the past. It still is for the most part. He was brought her to play in the box. But of course like most FA that come here, they end up playing outside of what got them the FA money. So who's fault is that? 

Edited by joeken24
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looks like they signed Jeremy Reaves off the practice squad to take his roster spot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/27/washington-puts-landon-collins-on-ir/

The Football Team signed safety Jeremy Reaves off the practice squad to fill the open roster spot. He had 15 tackles in 11 games with the team over the last two seasons.

Edited by owa
Added URL

Looks like they offered Reid a practice squad slot but he refused.  Can't blame him for feeling it is beneath him but I bet he would have made the active roster at some point.  Hope Reaves does well so we don't have to worry about signing anyone else.

Not a bust. He's made plays. But he's also missed some tackles and assignments. Case in point.....

Pretty easy assignment. No explaining needed. The pics says it all. Should have been a negative play for the offense.

291447424_Missedassignment.JPG.d592923311f6e24c4d18def28a5ff198.JPG

But one missed assignment

816365818_missedassignment1.JPG.c5fe9d281b5e551915efb1058487d4f6.JPG

And boom

1833059661_missedassignment2.JPG.7c6e08cc0df12e13d179e9b70349609d.JPG

Yes, critique his play and you find some issues but you also find some plays others don't make.  He's not a bust second year in on a long term deal.  You've got to have all the pieces to the defense in place to start pointing fingers as a Bust signing.  I'm trying to be fair and it seems clear that labeling him a bust is amateur talk and unsubstantiated with all things considered. 

If he's unable to comeback from the injury then everyone gets off the hook for the signing. 

• Like 1

Given that his 2021 salary guarantees for injury shortly after the start of the 2021 league year, it’s pretty much a given that we are already on the hook for that outlay.

I guess we get a real good evaluation of Kam Curl for now, and that should help him develop into next year too.

14 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yes, critique his play and you find some issues but you also find some plays others don't make.  He's not a bust second year in on a long term deal.  You've got to have all the pieces to the defense in place to start pointing fingers as a Bust signing.  I'm trying to be fair and it seems clear that labeling him a bust is amateur talk and unsubstantiated with all things considered. 

If he's unable to comeback from the injury then everyone gets off the hook for the signing. 

Man, look at the tale of the tape. 

He's been brutal all year. Near countless examples of blown assignments, poor angles and missed tackles. 

Amateur talk is defending a player that plays poorly. 

Edited by Silvernon
Typo

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Bump.

Different year, same story.

And below is what I expect we'll see a lot of this year as Landon tries to 'make a play' and in the process allow the big play. 

So are you contending that Collins is out on the field freelancing and not following his assignments?

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

So are you contending that Collins is out on the field freelancing and not following his assignments?

It's been danced around quite a bit. Diplomatically addressing it.

The below interview is interesting from Landon Collins. First 3 minutes. John Keim asks a good question that gets sort-of answered. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/landon-collins-reveals-thoughts-on-washington-football-team-change-idea

• Thanks 2

If Collins is freelancing (he is, you can see it) and they are allowing it... I put a very vast majority of the issues with the defense specifically on their desire to play Landon Collins.

Collins was out last year and Curl did great and the D performed. When Collins was in they weren't as good. I don't believe that is a coincidence. Secondary assignment football matters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2