Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Bust - Landon Collins

Silvernon

That touchdown pass to Woods was perfect design. The fade with 1 and the post corner with 2 froze Collins. The corners job in cover 2 is to drop with 1 until there’s a threat to the flat. He can be trail technique because he has help behind. So he sees the back and continues his drop eyeballing the threat. In hindsight he could have continued to drop, but he is flat responsible and the back acted as if he was flaring. I would have told the corner that you carry one if he’s vertical and let the backers rally to the underneath throw. Yes, if they hit the back in the flat it’s a sizeable gain, but it’s not 6. 

the backer to that side drops to his hook/curl responsibility and he carries #2. 

#2 did a great job in getting behind the backer and selling post before breaking to the corner route, so the backer froze. 

Apke would have been under the post if it continued, but the receiver planted and broke to the corner. Collins initially had okay position. He made a few glaring errors though. 

He didn’t stay deeper than the deepest threat, he did a sprint turn and I think the 2 receiver may have been a post corner option... so when he saw Collins frozen and not moving towards one he kept him frozen by running the corner. 

The CB did continue to carry after a hesitation for the back to the flat but Woods was gone.

Apke was a little too flat footed for me, too, because if Collins went over the top to 1 the second receiver would have likely broken skinnier and been open in the middle of the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexa said:

what did they actually see in him on film that says he was worth the money they gave him. 

A guy who went to three Pro Bowls, was an All-Pro, and NFC Defensive Player of the Year (I think).

Not saying he is worth what we signed him but we tend to ruin players.

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Just another one in a long line that includes Stanley Richard, Dana Stubblefield, Adam Archuleta and Deion among others.  You can't throw money at a problem and expect it to be fixed.   

Norman too 😬

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

A guy who went to three Pro Bowls, was an All-Pro, and NFC Defensive Player of the Year (I think).

Not saying he is worth what we signed him but we tend to ruin players.

Or, they were never that good to begin with and had a better supporting cast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Loved the signing.

However, I thought his play was over rated last year and this year it’s even worse.

That said, I’m that lost with the way this season has played out so far for the team overall that I’ll reserve judgement on him for a few more weeks yet.

Yeah this was my take. I liked the signing, by every report he was a good to great player.  But just as with Norman's first year here I didn't understand the praise, he was nothing special last year and downright terrible this season.

Safety. Seems we have been fielding terrible players at the position forever. I miss Sean Taylor.  :(

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Kind of makes me wonder if we should have kept Kevin O'Connell

I will say that Dwayne would have looked better the first 4 games building off the continuity from 2019 at the minimum. I was pissed when they replaced him with Turner but I don't think Turner is as bad as some on this board are making him out to be. Outside of yesterday, this offense has moved the ball and put up points despite having the 2rd or 3th worst set of talent on the offensive side of the ball (I would say we only beat out the Jets)

56 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's worked out wonderfully,  on the field. As it pertains to his injuries, I file them largely under "**** happens." Doesn't mean it happens here. Don't recall him being an oft injured player in college.

Your point of how we make easy things so damn hard, I’m sure the chargers are saying the same thing about him right now.

26 minutes ago, method man said:

I will say that Dwayne would have looked better the first 4 games building off the continuity from 2019 at the minimum. I was pissed when they replaced him with Turner but I don't think Turner is as bad as some on this board are making him out to be. Outside of yesterday, this offense has moved the ball and put up points despite having the 2rd or 3th worst set of talent on the offensive side of the ball (I would say we only beat out the Jets)

We're the 32nd ranked offense in terms of yardage and 30th in points.  Let's not make it out like Turner's working miracles here because we average more points then the Jets and Giants.  

50 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Norman too 😬

Or, they were never that good to begin with and had a better supporting cast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Whatever the case may be and I’m not disagreeing with you, but he did have accomplishments. He’s played way worse here.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Terrible in coverage, but that's not his game and everyone knew it when we signed him.

Exactly -- he was another Dan/Bruce signing using one of their fool proof methods of talent evaluation:

- A fan of the team growing up

- Raised or played in the local DMV area

- Played at Alabama

It's working out really well so far!

Edited by Probos
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, drowland said:

We're the 32nd ranked offense in terms of yardage and 30th in points.  Let's not make it out like Turner's working miracles here because we average more points then the Jets and Giants.  

Turner's offense is garbage and Carolina was glad to get rid of him. Look at Carolina's offense now with a real OC compared to Turner's 2nd half 2019 performance. It's night and day. KOC>>Turner. It's evident.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That touchdown pass to Woods was perfect design. The fade with 1 and the post corner with 2 froze Collins. The corners job in cover 2 is to drop with 1 until there’s a threat to the flat. He can be trail technique because he has help behind. So he sees the back and continues his drop eyeballing the threat. In hindsight he could have continued to drop, but he is flat responsible and the back acted as if he was flaring. I would have told the corner that you carry one if he’s vertical and let the backers rally to the underneath throw. Yes, if they hit the back in the flat it’s a sizeable gain, but it’s not 6. 

the backer to that side drops to his hook/curl responsibility and he carries #2. 

#2 did a great job in getting behind the backer and selling post before breaking to the corner route, so the backer froze. 

Apke would have been under the post if it continued, but the receiver planted and broke to the corner. Collins initially had okay position. He made a few glaring errors though. 

He didn’t stay deeper than the deepest threat, he did a sprint turn and I think the 2 receiver may have been a post corner option... so when he saw Collins frozen and not moving towards one he kept him frozen by running the corner. 

The CB did continue to carry after a hesitation for the back to the flat but Woods was gone.

Apke was a little too flat footed for me, too, because if Collins went over the top to 1 the second receiver would have likely broken skinnier and been open in the middle of the field.

Everett was in on that play. C'mon man. 

He dropped down and probably would have been beaten on that post, but that was his route to take and Collins needed to stay with the outside receiver. Only two receivers were running deep, and the offensive weapons are lined up to start on Collins side. 

He needs to show a better understanding of cover 2. 

3 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Everett was in on that play. C'mon man. 

He dropped down and probably would have been beaten on that post, but that was his route to take and Collins needed to stay with the outside receiver. Only two receivers were running deep, and the offensive weapons are lined up to start on Collins side. 

He needs to show a better understanding of cover 2. 

Okay. I can't tell who the hell it was. Why does that matter with the analysis part? :ols:

Replace the Apke's with Everett.

Edited by KDawg

Just now, KDawg said:

Okay. I can't tell who the hell it was. Why does that matter with the analysis part? :ols:

Cover 2 with two verticals the safety needs to get depth, spilt the difference, key QB eyes with peripheral on receivers and react to the ball. Collins did not get depth (was too sallow by alignment), sort of split the difference but that is a moot point without proper depth, reacted late, and got burned badly.

1 minute ago, pico926 said:

Cover 2 with two verticals the safety needs to get depth, spilt the difference, key QB eyes with peripheral on receivers and react to the ball. Collins did not get depth (was too sallow by alignment), sort of split the difference but that is a moot point without proper depth, reacted late, and got burned badly.

Didn't I say that?

He didn’t stay deeper than the deepest threat,

Yup. 

3rd and 4 or more should be Bostic off the field and Collins as the lone backer and someone over the top. Put Collins where his lack of speed isn’t an issue. Eying the QB and backfield playing forward versus backwards is his game in my time watching him. 

Is this realistic or laymen fan view? 

Edited by wit33