Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see if the moron owner can stay out of Rivera and Wright's way.  Past history indicates he can't.   If the past is prologue, he's too emotional, dumb and dense.  I think this is his last stand whether he realizes it or not.

The fact that he has this desire to inform the media that he wasn't suspended and in turn came off like he was taking a victory lap on that front shows IMO that he still is dense.  It's amusing to me in a sad way to hear Sheehan re-tell the story on a recent podcast that he heard they did an internal poll late 2019 to see Dan and Bruce's popularity with fans and both had negatives in the 90s.  In my line of work, I've done my share of polls.  I've never seen a well know public figure with 90% plus negative ratings.  According to Sheehan both Bruce and Dan were shocked by those numbers.  

I get the impression that Dan probably just blamed those numbers on Bruce.  The fact that he's trying to sell fans/local media that we are clamoring for more hands on involvement from him and the problem previously was too little Dan involvement IMO shows how wildly he's still out of touch,

Hopefully for all his stupidity, he at least understands that he's not going to survive PR wise another purge combined with his next "new beginnings" sell for a new regime of some kind.  He's got the right team IMO now hopefully he stays out of their way.   Also, if he screws it up with Wright (after doing so with Lafemina), good luck finding good people to help run the organization. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/10/washington-football-team-future-jason-wright/

“There’s that old saying ‘Actions speak louder than words,’ and I do believe that if Jason and [Coach Ron Rivera] are given the leeway to effectuate change, they will effectuate change,” said Amy Trask, the former CEO of the Oakland Raiders. “But only time is going to tell if the leeway it appears they are being given is true leeway, and if it’s lasting leeway.”

...Washington’s vision for a new stadium is centered around the idea of creating a year-round entertainment venue to host concerts and other events. It also includes a surrounding economic development project with retail, work and living space, restaurants and perhaps even a community element to create “social good that outlasts any of us,” such as creating green space that can double as a parking lot.

Basically: a stadium that is more than just a stadium.

“First and foremost, it’s an economic development engine,” Wright said. “And my background at McKinsey, when I thought about big mega projects like this, especially through the lens of equity and what it means for developing an equitable economy are major. Because it’s a lot of money that goes into the development of this, and it’s a lot of jobs that are created. … It can be generationally changing for an area.”

But the challenges there are lengthy, too, especially for a team that, according to ESPN, ranked at or near the bottom of the NFL in home attendance for nine of the 10 seasons before Rivera and Wright arrived.

For the past 11 months, Washington’s business operations — and its football team — have shown signs of change. But whether Wright and his team of “outsiders” can create a new product or merely a new facade will depend on the top.

“I’ve been very outspoken over many years, going back to my years in the league, about changes that needed to be made in that organization,” said Trask, the former Raiders CEO. “If these two are given the opportunity to right some of the wrongs that were effectuated by those in place before them, we will see that.

Effectuate.

7B185F72-C3EF-4D77-AACC-3DDE7BF99549.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

He won’t realize it. That’s why I find it funny, he thinks he’s getting a new stadium. Either someone paying for it or fans thru psls.

When this all blows over; Dan will revert to his usual self. If Rivera isn’t winning; he  and his Gm team will be gone. Wright and Donaldson will be gone. Once the nfl is no longer watching him; he will undo all the changes.  

I am just going to enjoy the Rivera era but I know it will end and once it does; then that will be it. If he hasn’t conned a new stadium out if someone by then; then it won’t happen.  Fandom will dwindle to less than 5000.

• Like 1

If that seems overly pessimistic, consider that we — collectively, as Washington NFL consumers and observers — have been bludgeoned into that stance not in 2021 but over decades. Talk to people who have worked for Washington under Snyder’s watch, and they can simultaneously be encouraged by all of the change but view it askance. Rightfully so. There have been so many attempts at clean breaks, at starting anew, at trying something different that it all fosters skepticism, even among optimists. That’s not a healthy way to live. But it’s a realistic — even protective — stance to consider anything in which Snyder’s talons are still embedded.

About that: We don’t know what kind of leader Tanya Snyder will be or how long “the next several months” will last or whether she intends to put any sort of personal imprint on what has forever been her husband’s team and toy. What we do know is that Tanya Snyder is still married to Dan. Think dinner conversation will be devoid of the Football Team? Dan is still here. Maybe not day-to-day but whatever. That’s not as important as year-to-year anyway.

One possibility, I suppose: Could he — gulp — return a changed man?

“Over the past 18 months, Dan and Tanya have recognized the need for change and have undertaken important steps to make the workplace comfortable and dignified for all employees, and those changes, if sustained and built upon, should allow the club to achieve its goal of having a truly first-tier workplace,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement when the league vaguely summarized Wilkinson’s findings.

A question and an observation: Given the detailed accusations in The Washington Post’s reporting that precipitated Wilkinson’s investigation in the first place — the routine demeaning of women, a virtually nonexistent system for reporting harassment, an outdated locker-room culture that permeated the building — why did it take the past year-and-a-half for the Snyders to recognize the need for change? Moving forward, though, the key phrase in Goodell’s pablum is this: “if sustained and built upon.”

That’s the key. Wright may consider himself an autonomous leader with the power to make meaningful decisions about how the franchise operates and whom it hires and therefore how it’s perceived. Rivera may have full say over the football operation, empowered to choose players and staff and to run the systems he sees fit. It’s possible he doesn’t realize how unusual that is here. If he’s curious, he should hook up with Jim Zorn or Jay Gruden — just picking names from a hat.

But “if sustained and built upon,” that’s the thing. Not just in the changes that turn an organization run amok into something resembling a respectful American workplace. Rather, the changes — fundamental changes — in how someone who’s an owner and leader operates, in what he values, in whom he empowers and for how long.

Wright and Rivera may well be the right leaders in the correct positions for the Washington Football Team as the 2021 season approaches. Here’s hoping they are. But that’s not the test. The test will be whether the practices they put in place are allowed to flourish and foster into 2022, 2023 — and beyond. The NFL’s wrist slap of Daniel Snyder was just that, painless. Yes, his wife’s name is on his old office door. But his will return, and for more than 20 years, that mere fact has trumped all others in Ashburn. For the results to change, he will have to, too. Is that even possible?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/11/daniel-snyder-culture-washington-football/

• Like 2

Last February, I spent a couple of days with Rivera and his family at their offseason home in Monterey, Calif., and they recounted the challenges -- physically, mentally, emotionally and professionally -- that he faced as he underwent intensive treatment for squamous-cell carcinoma. I may share some of those details in future writings, but for now I'll just give you my main takeaway: Rivera is a strong, stubborn and resilient man who is not prone to complaint or self-pity; this illness (and treatment) absolutely walloped him, and in retrospect the fact that he coached through it seems somewhat insane.

All of this brings me to the reason I'm writing this column, and will be writing regularly for this site, along with joining the broadcast team for preseason games and paying special attention to the Washington Football Team: The simple answer is, Ron Rivera asked me to come aboard, and there's no one I'd rather follow.

It certainly doesn't hurt that this is a franchise steeped in history, some of which I've been fortunate enough to witness first-hand. I'll never forget my first trip to RFK Stadium -- for a Monday Night showdown between the Bill Walsh-coached 49ers and the Joe Gibbs-coached defending Super Bowl champs -- on Nov. 21, 1988. Both teams were a disappointing 6-5 coming in, and I freelanced a sidebar on the Niners' 37-21 victory for the San Francisco Chronicle. (A couple of weeks later I moved from Long Island, where I'd been covering preps for Newsday following my summer internship, to The District., renting a room in a group house on Taylor and 14th N.W., just off the Piney Branch Parkway. I did temp work by day and hustled for freelance journalism assignments on the side while spending time with my college girlfriend, with whom I just celebrated a 30th wedding anniversary. That's one thing Ron and I have in common: We got to Cal, overachieved in the girlfriend department and had the good sense to lock it down in perpetuity.)

• Like 1

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I'm not thrilled with it. Most of the exposure I get to Mike Silver is him beefing with fans in TK's twitter display, ending with Silver announcing the latest person to get blocked from his feed. I don't have anything to say about his articles, just not looking forward to a team contributor getting more attention while getting in twitter fights.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Last February, I spent a couple of days with Rivera and his family at their offseason home in Monterey, Calif., and they recounted the challenges -- physically, mentally, emotionally and professionally -- that he faced as he underwent intensive treatment for squamous-cell carcinoma. I may share some of those details in future writings, but for now I'll just give you my main takeaway: Rivera is a strong, stubborn and resilient man who is not prone to complaint or self-pity; this illness (and treatment) absolutely walloped him, and in retrospect the fact that he coached through it seems somewhat insane.

All of this brings me to the reason I'm writing this column, and will be writing regularly for this site, along with joining the broadcast team for preseason games and paying special attention to the Washington Football Team: The simple answer is, Ron Rivera asked me to come aboard, and there's no one I'd rather follow.

It certainly doesn't hurt that this is a franchise steeped in history, some of which I've been fortunate enough to witness first-hand. I'll never forget my first trip to RFK Stadium -- for a Monday Night showdown between the Bill Walsh-coached 49ers and the Joe Gibbs-coached defending Super Bowl champs -- on Nov. 21, 1988. Both teams were a disappointing 6-5 coming in, and I freelanced a sidebar on the Niners' 37-21 victory for the San Francisco Chronicle. (A couple of weeks later I moved from Long Island, where I'd been covering preps for Newsday following my summer internship, to The District., renting a room in a group house on Taylor and 14th N.W., just off the Piney Branch Parkway. I did temp work by day and hustled for freelance journalism assignments on the side while spending time with my college girlfriend, with whom I just celebrated a 30th wedding anniversary. That's one thing Ron and I have in common: We got to Cal, overachieved in the girlfriend department and had the good sense to lock it down in perpetuity.)

So glad Rivera asked him to cover the team.  When I was in California he covered the 49ers a lot and he knows the NFL well

• Like 2

I'm disappointed to see we're one of two teams in the entire league that has less than a 50% vaccination rate, I worry this could be a hidden distraction throughout the year.

This is what players give up when they don't get vaccinated.

Unvaccinated players must continue to get daily testing, wear masks and practice physical distancing. They won't be allowed to eat meals with teammates, can't participate in media or marketing activities while traveling, aren't permitted to use the sauna or steam room, and may not leave the team hotel or interact with people outside the team while traveling. Vaccinated players will not have any of those restrictions.

• Sad 5

Mike Silver sucks and is not the type of guy I’d want around an organization that has Dan Snyder and the history of backstabbing office politics we have had here. He was responsible for a ton of the division in the Browns FO and media, as he was good friends with Hue Jackson when things were going bad during his tenure. Tons of leaks and shady stories that were clearly coming from Hue’s camp.

Working directly for the team, he’s not going to be writing anything controversial like that, but I just hope he doesn’t have any close relationships with coaches who perform poorly here, because he’s got tons of connection by which he can leak dirt to support his guy. 

He’s a huge drama whore, very weird hire given everything Rivera and Wright are building here. I imagine he must have a good professional relationship with Donaldson. I’m sure it’ll be fine as a contributor on the team site, he just rubs me the wrong way big time.

edit: ah, he knows Rivera through Cal. Interesting.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Funny thing is they started with the worst. lol  So he was first one reviewed. 

That's the joke.  He was also "first" last year and the year before.  I'm not sure what would have to change for him to move up to #31.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Mike Silver sucks and is not the type of guy I’d want around an organization that has Dan Snyder and the history of backstabbing office politics we have had here. He was responsible for a ton of the division in the Browns FO and media, as he was good friends with Hue Jackson when things were going bad during his tenure. Tons of leaks and shady stories that were clearly coming from Hue’s camp.

I'll trust Rivera, and maybe this is a move to help control the message getting out, but I'm with you on Silver. I never took him seriously and always thought he was a hot-take machine.

• Like 1