Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I was standing up peeing the other day and she just came in and started doing her hair, talking about it's nothing she hasn't seen or smelled before. 

I guess that my wife is on a different level then.

I'll tell her where I'm going and what I'm doing, then 30 seconds later she walks into the bathroom, while I'm middump, talking about something to both of her sisters on videocall on her phone, just to tell me that she'll just be at the sink doing something while I try to keep the sound down for the next minute.

Her sisters live in Belgium and Singapore therefore whenever they ask " what was that sound" I know that my farts are heard around the world.

• Haha 10

So I made a decision to all but stop drinking about a year ago. Been treating the anxiety with some binge drinking. Well it's been an up and down road but felt like I turned the corner just before all this **** started. Fast forward to last week when my wife was called in for covid-19 patient. Man I was a tad....anxious. She gets home and tells me the patient turned out negative for the little ****er. I didn't just fall off the wagon,I jumped in front of the ****er. ;)     Anyway. Back on it now. Otherwise,with a wife who is a nurse and me working at the big orange box store,I think my nickname would be puddles.  ;) 

• Like 7

Nearly 40 caps and a flyback later, after probably 5 hours total, I have finished my first attempt at a capkit and flyback replacement.  I had a scare when I first turned the monitor on as I heard it but saw nothing.  I did hear the monitor power up and what not.  But I went and turned the SCREEN knob up on the flyback and there it was.  I didn't have much time to tweak it as I'm tired for the night, but I think all is well at first glance.

qPjzWKe.jpg

Edited by purbeast
https://i.imgur.com/qPjzWKe.jpg
  • Like 1

Watching season 4 of Kim's Convenience with my mom right now. 

It just came out on Netflix today, I think.  

Watched some Picard (with the free month of CBS all access) and caught up on Murdoch Mysteries and did some D&D with the family earlier in the evening.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

If you're somebody who plays Dungeons and Dragons or other miniatures games, might be worth supporting this company:

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/04/01/dungeons-dragons-business-arms-reno-hospitals-with-gear-to-battle-coronavirus/5101608002/

They've turned over 75% of their 3D print capacity to manufacturing PPE to donate to hospitals. The other 25% I assume they're using just to keep themselves afloat for the time being.

The company's site:

https://www.griffonco.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went from working four 10 hour shifts a week, to working eight 5 hour shifts a week.

Sounds bad, but there's barely anything to do besides odd jobs and the basics that are still required.

Being at work every day is weird, pretty annoying, but I have to admit taking a break from the real deal is pretty damn relieving.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What was that whole spiel about the "Paradox of choice?" Yeah, that's me right about now. So much to entertain myself with, and nearly infinite amount of free time, yet I find myself paralyzed by indecision, unable to enjoy it

Speaking out loud, for me, that's called boredom.

I'm not saying what your doing is right or wrong, just speaking what works for me when I get to what you are saying.  You mentioned routine the other day, staying goal oriented is my way of trying to protect that as well. 

If nothing interests me at the moment, then either none of it was actually interesting in the first place (vs just having time to do it) or I'm having a downward spike of depression, typically the later. 

This is where long term goals for me come in, entertainment is for the breaks.  It's hard to say which goals are even going to be relevant in a year, but I'm just going to trigger my anxiety trying to figure that out. 

Studying for the CISSP even though I'm sure the testing centers are closed now, the point is they will reopen eventually so I'm not going to stop studying for it.  After that, focusing on career plan I already had and learning two languages, one my wife's dialect, the other Spanish.  Those I know will come in handy even if everything goes to **** in the end.

One of the few ways I can get through something like racing thoughts or things that can or are triggering me is to just pick something I think is worth putting my all into and requires a lot if not all my attention.  That's my form of meditation.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

Not be snarky (cuz believe me, you'd KNOW it if I were) but I swear to doG I don't know how y'all have time for some of these things. I am busy as ****. Tearing apart the Jeep today (balljoints/bearing assys/coils/fuel injectors), gotta get back to running new water lines to the kitchen, have a new vanity and fixtures for the bathroom in the shed, along with all the daily house stuff, I need to find time to get to the gardens soon. Still have stuff squirreled away to try and get to in May, new stairs to the attic along with moving light fixtures and wiring, new top damper for the fireplace, demo and rebuild for a new set of Bilco doors to the basement, etc., I'm kinda happy everyone is keeping their distance right now because it means I don't have a bunch of neighbors at the door asking for my help. If the govt actually does cough up some coin, I'll be hauling a load of 2Xs and drywall to try and get a half bath added this summer. Count your blessings........

• Like 2

13 hours ago, China said:

In time of crisis, Alabamians flock to liquor stores

Package stores in Birmingham are considered essential businesses during the city’s coronavirus shelter-in-place ordinance, and Mike Carpri has a theory about that.

It’s to maintain a civil society.

“If they stop liquor sales, that’s going to start the rioting and the looting,” said Carpri, who runs Lou’s Pub and Package Store in Lakeview. “Taking the availability of alcohol away will start the hysteria.”

Pacify the herd, in other words. Rule No.1 in a time of crisis.

When people are stressed and have nothing to do, it’s best to just let them drink and sleep it off. Or so the theory goes.

These Zoom chats are nice, but they’re just not the same. Still, it was a passing joke by a friend of mine during a “Zoom birthday party” that summed up our drinking habits during this health crisis.

“People are stocking up for the month three times a week,” he said.

Remain calm, wash your hands and do what you gotta do to stay sane and pass the time. For a lot of people, that’s drinking.

Click on the link for more

I agree that keeping liquor stores open was the smart move, without that you would indeed have people breaking down doors. I wasn't sure so I stocked up several weeks ago. Of course I find myself drinking more so there's that.

11 hours ago, PCS said:

So I made a decision to all but stop drinking about a year ago. Been treating the anxiety with some binge drinking. Well it's been an up and down road but felt like I turned the corner just before all this **** started. Fast forward to last week when my wife was called in for covid-19 patient. Man I was a tad....anxious. She gets home and tells me the patient turned out negative for the little ****er. I didn't just fall off the wagon,I jumped in front of the ****er. ;)     Anyway. Back on it now. Otherwise,with a wife who is a nurse and me working at the big orange box store,I think my nickname would be puddles.  ;) 

Take care of yourself, my friend.  These are tough times, but we need to take care of ourselves. 

I saw this and thought it was pretty smart:

91778039_10216457386723227_4091334323741

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Great, Top Gun 2 has been pushed back to Christmas.  Was hoping they'd release it on iTunes in June.  

18 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'll try Costco next week. I overslept this morning to try to get in during senior hour. 

Quite possibly the most senior sentence ever written :ols:

• Haha 4

Obviously, we're not all the same, but I don't understand the "boredom" thing. I have so much here to keep me entertained that it sick. In fact, I hope I do get bored, I hope it feels like I've been in the house for a month. I've never taken a vacation in my adult life...EVER! This is the closest I've ever gotten to one...a freaking self quarantine. I feel bad for everyone caught up in this and I hope it doesn't go on longer than needed...but I'm going to take advantage while I can.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Obviously, we're not all the same, but I don't understand the "boredom" thing...

"Boredom " isn't quite the right word. "Distracted" is probably closer to the word I'm looking for. For awhile now, Ive been so used to 100% making the most of the limited entertainment time that I had, that when I finally have plenty of time, I don't really know what to do with it

Everything I did was routine oriented, and now that there's so many moments where I can ad-lib and chill out, I'm finding it difficult to sit still and just ****ing pick something to do.  I was always moving on to the next thing, whatever that thing was, and now my "Thing" is to literally sit at my computer in my room and "Work," and do basically nothing else of note from a leaving the house standpoint. No gym, no dating, no trips to the barber shop, no going out with friends/co-workers, etc.

But all the shows and games and movies I've regrettably missed over the years? It's all here. It's like getting 3 wishes from a sneaky cable god/djinn.

You get what you want (sort of) by giving up something you cherish in return.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

"Boredom " isn't quite the right word. "Distracted" is probably closer to the word I'm looking for. For awhile now, Ive been so used to 100% making the most of the limited entertainment time that I had, that when I finally have plenty of time, I don't really know what to do with it

Everything I did was routine oriented, and now that there's so many moments where I can ad-lib and chill out, I'm finding it difficult to sit still and just ****ing pick something to do.  I was always moving on to the next thing, whatever that thing was, and now my "Thing" is to literally sit at my computer in my room and "Work," and do basically nothing else of note from a leaving the house standpoint. No gym, no dating, no trips to the barber shop, no going out with friends/co-workers, etc.

But all the shows and games and movies I've regrettably missed over the years? It's all here. It's like getting 3 wishes from a sneaky cable god/djinn.

You get what you want (sort of) by giving up something you cherish in return.

For me, the routine of making a list the night before with all the stuff I have to do the next day helps.  There's a small satisfaction in crossing things off throughout the day and crumpling up the list at the end of the day.  I use a post-it note, if I need more than one then that usually means there's too much **** to do and I need to re-prioritize everything.  

• Like 2