Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

21 hours ago, purbeast said:

I got a resistance bands set today from Amazon.  I played around a little bit with it but I'm not really sure how well this will hold me over until the gym opens.  I'm going to try and find some videos on how to get a "real" workout from them though.  It came with the door anchor and I tried some cable flies earlier, but it just felt weird, especially because it's coming from directly behind you instead of the sides like a cable machine.  Tried some curls by standing on the cables and it felt a bit weird too because I have long arms and such little resistance at the bottom.

Lockdown: how to stay fit at home

A third of humanity is now under lockdown.

Physical activity also helps to keep your immune system working effectively as it flushes bacteria from the lungs and airways, increases white blood cell circulation and raises body temperature, all of which help the body fight infection.

As well as the physical health benefits, keeping active is a great way to ward off some of the psychological issues associated with being cooped up for an extended time. Being active helps lower stress hormones such as cortisol and promotes the release of feel-good hormones, such as endorphins.

Many people exercise in a gym or go for a run in a local park, so being forced to spend long periods of time at home is going to pose a challenge for remaining active. So what can we do to ensure we make the most of the situation and keep ourselves fit and healthy?

First, if you are not in self-isolation and are allowed to venture outside, then regular walking, running or cycling is a great way to stay active. Just be sure to keep a distance of six feet (two metres) away from other people.

Improvise
But even if you’re stuck at home, there are ways you can stay active and continue your workout routine – and some of these require very little or no equipment. If you are lucky enough to own an exercise bike or treadmill, then you will already be accustomed to this in-house way of keeping fit. But if these are not possible then any activity that raises the heart rate is good for cardiovascular health.

Try walking briskly around the house or up and down the stairs. And stand or walk around when you’re on the phone, rather than sitting down. Dancing is also a great way to keep active, especially with children, so putting on some music for ten to 15 minutes, two or three times each day can really contribute to the daily exercise quota.

Alternatively, you could dig out that old skipping rope from the garage, reengage with those long-forgotten fitness, yoga, tai chi or pilates DVDs, or use the many apps and YouTube videos promoting physical activity.

Resistance exercises can also help strengthen your muscles and improve your mobility. Some of these exercises can be performed using weights or resistance bands, but if you don’t have access to them, that shouldn’t stop you. Squats or sit-to-stands from a sturdy chair, push-ups against a wall or the kitchen counter, and lunges or single-leg step-ups on stairs are all great for those new to these kinds of exercises.

You could even put your tins of baked beans, bags of rice, bottled water or flour to good use. They make great dumbbell substitutes or, if you tie them up in a carrier bag, you have an improvised kettlebell.

If these items aren’t heavy enough for you, consider using the heaviest item in many households – your children. Safely, of course.

As a balanced workout should incorporate pulling as well as pushing motions, take a jacket (made of a relatively strong material) and tie it tightly around a post (or tree) and pull your body weight.

If you need some guidance about the kind of exercises to do at home then the NHS has put together a 10 minute home workout to get you started. Or if you fancy a bit more of a challenge, you could always try this BBC Resource developed with Team GB Olympians.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 3

Just now, clietas said:

Yeah I'm running outs. Its definitely essential in a situation such as this. 

I was getting mine from a guy who would meet halfway from D.C., can people still travel between D.C. and VA? I just got home and I'm trying to play catch up with the news. Is it Maryland that won't let people in?

I ended up doing a workout with those resistance bands today and it was actually alright.

Things they suck for is chest.  I tried doing some kind of press with them and it is just bad.  I ended up doing pushups instead which felt much better.  I did do some flies with them though and that felt alright.

They were decent for shoulder presses but just kind of awkward.  Also the bands rub against my arms and it's not comfortable, but towards the end I ended up figuring out a way to do them decently.  They were decent also for side and front raises.  I did some shrugs but very awkward because I had to spread my feet out wide as hell to be able to stand on the bands with enough resistance that low for a shrug.  I loaded up all bands when I did them and it was alright.

They actually felt really good for normal curls.  And then I did some hammer curls after.  I tried doing preacher curls sitting on a foldout chair backwards with the bands anchored to the bottom of a door but it felt weird.

Speaking of that, I did some overhead tricep extensions with it anchored to the bottom and it felt okay.  I tried some pushdowns with it anchored to the top of the door and it felt kinda alright.

I did some standing rows which felt okay, but then I tried them sitting down in a chair and those actually felt really nice.   Those and curls are probably what felt like they actually did the most of anything and almost like a real exercise.

I was working out for like 90 minutes probably which is way longer than I normally do but I wanted to try different things out.  I am going to try some leg things tomorrow and work on abs a bit too.  I plan to split up the workout I did today into 2 days in the future for time purposes.  

I mean it is not like working out with weights in the gym at all, but it's better than nothing.  I am hoping tomorrow I feel sore because I miss that damn feeling.

I’ve taken my treadmill run to a run outdoors.  At least 1.75 miles, sometimes as much as 3.25.  5 days a week so far.  Been doing 100 push ups every 2 days.  I need more but I don’t have any free weights over 25 lbs.  I do have resistance bands that I’ll probably break out tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

So I ran out of my daily multivitamin.  Any chance they have some in the stores these days?

Are you aware of Amazon?  It’s like this company that, like, will send you whatever you want. By mail. It’s grrrrreat. 👍

www.amazon.com

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

So I ran out of my daily multivitamin.  Any chance they have some in the stores these days?

People ain't running for multivitamins. Maybe you might have trouble finding vitamin c or acetaminophen but most meds are stocked like regular.

59 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

People ain't running for multivitamins. Maybe you might have trouble finding vitamin c or acetaminophen but most meds are stocked like regular.

Let me tell you some **** though. There is a war on for white cheez-itz. They had every. ****ing. Kind. EXCEPT for white (even the tobasco ones, which I swear I haven't seen in like 5 years).

What kind of sickness is this?

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I prefer my vitamins from the druggist

Yea me too, I call them drugs. 

****ing China beat me to it. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Let me tell you some **** though. There is a war on for white cheez-itz. They had every. ****ing. Kind. EXCEPT for white (even the tobasco ones, which I swear I haven't seen in like 5 years).

What kind of sickness is this?

Opposite for me. My kid likes regular cheese-itz and all i could find was white chees-itz. My kid looked at me like 

giphy.gif

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Survey: 12 percent of at-home workers skip video due to lack of clothes

March 26 (UPI) -- A survey of stay-at-home workers in the United States suggests 12 percent of workers have kept their cameras switched off during video calls due to a lack of clothing.

Mentimeter, an interactive presentation tool, announced it commissioned a survey of 1,500 people working from home amid the COVID-19 pandemic and found 12 percent of respondents admitted to keeping their video cameras off during meetings on Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts because they were naked or only partially clothed.

Click on the link for the full article

4 minutes ago, China said:

March 26 (UPI) -- A survey of stay-at-home workers in the United States suggests 12 percent of workers have kept their cameras switched off during video calls due to a lack of clothing.

I’ve done this prior to Coronavirus. 

• Thanks 1