Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

Ugh. My sister may have it.

She has had a steadily building temperature. It started out at 100 and three days later it is at 103. It's still possible she has some other bug, but worried. Luckily, she says she's experiencing no respiratory issues. Frustrating that she lives in New York, but I don't know that I could do much in any case.

On the positive side, her voice sounded stronger this morning.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 17

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

Things you discover when entering long term quarantine:

your freezer is half full of popsicles for some reason 

mine has a amazing amount of flaked coconut, somebody needs to make some macaroons or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

Ugh. My sister may have it.

She has had a steadily building temperature. It started out at 100 and three days later it is at 103. It's still possible she has some other bug, but worried. Luckily, she says she's experiencing no respiratory issues. Frustrating that she lives in New York, but I don't know that I could do much in any case.

On the positive side, her voice sounded stronger this morning.

Update: My sister was taken by ambulance to a hospital where she was able to get tested. The test results will be available in approximately five days. The good news is that at the hospital her temperature was recorded at under 100 and the chest X-Rays came out fine. We still don't know if she has it, but at least we know that whatever she has is not in a critical stage.

She's back home now. Tired, but keeping on.

Note: the ambulance drivers told her with this bug it may be better to be upright or walking than lying down. I was assuming the opposite, you know, lie down and sleep out the fever. 

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If I were in the Atlanta area, It'd definitely be hard to stay in shape. So much artery clogging goodness out there...

But I've only eaten at home!...minus the smoked sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardee's on my way home from the vet Friday. (And I only did that because I was passing by & as a manager from the 80s, I know they make absolutely perfect biscuits. ) 

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Note: the ambulance drivers told her with this bug it may be better to be upright or walking than lying down. I was assuming the opposite, you know, lie down and sleep out the fever. 

Laying down will tend to let anything in the lungs "settle", which is the real danger. Hope she continues to improve! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

you might suggest her focusing on fully inhaling and exhaling if trouble breathing at all .

walks help

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Update: My sister was taken by ambulance to a hospital where she was able to get tested. The test results will be available in approximately five days. The good news is that at the hospital her temperature was recorded at under 100 and the chest X-Rays came out fine. We still don't know if she has it, but at least we know that whatever she has is not in a critical stage.

She's back home now. Tired, but keeping on.

Keeping positive woo for your sister.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

But I've only eaten at home!...minus the smoked sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from Hardee's on my way home from the vet Friday. (And I only did that because I was passing by & as a manager from the 80s, I know they make absolutely perfect biscuits. ) 

Laying down will tend to let anything in the lungs "settle", which is the real danger. Hope she continues to improve! 

19 minutes ago, twa said:

you might suggest her focusing on fully inhaling and exhaling if trouble breathing at all .

walks help

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Keeping positive woo for your sister.

Thanks all.  Feeling better about this than in the morning, but it's still not an easy thing to know someone you love is unwell and you are powerless to help.

• Like 6

I'm 100% convinced my best friend had it beginning of March, prior to any cases in and around Charlotte.  We went out on March 4th, got hammered and he crashed at the house.  He was supposed to come over and watch basketball, XFL, etc. the following Saturday and texted me that morning that he was sick and wasn't coming over.  

Said that he had chest pains the Friday night before at the gym and was coughing.  Then up all night and Sat. morning with chills and sweats.  He was sick for like 5 days.  He didn't have a thermometer, so he didn't know what his temp was, but it's obvious that he had a fever with chills/sweats.  Fast forward to now, all of his symptoms are on record for possible coronavirus.  

Back then, symptoms were just like high fever, chest pain, dry cough, trouble breathing.  Now it includes so many more symptoms.  It could have just been a really bad cold or some bug, but it makes you wonder.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Sad 4

I got a resistance bands set today from Amazon.  I played around a little bit with it but I'm not really sure how well this will hold me over until the gym opens.  I'm going to try and find some videos on how to get a "real" workout from them though.  It came with the door anchor and I tried some cable flies earlier, but it just felt weird, especially because it's coming from directly behind you instead of the sides like a cable machine.  Tried some curls by standing on the cables and it felt a bit weird too because I have long arms and such little resistance at the bottom.

I want to post this advice about how the virus is built and how to destroy it. Hope this is okay. It's long but useful.

The following is from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University, quite informative.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).

By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only
-between 3 hours (fabric and porous),
-4 hours (copper and wood)
-24 hours (cardboard),
- 42 hours (metal) and
-72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.

They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to Moisturize dry hands from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

So my community has an extensive network of walking paths, numerous playgrounds, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc.  The HOA decided to leave all of those things open to its residents.  Well, the online backlash in the community facebook page has been swift and brutal.  All of the housewives are up in arms.  The HOA itself is closed due to Coronavirus fears.  People are complaining about kids playing basketball in groups of 10 or more with close contact, kids playing on the playgrounds.  They're worried that kids will spread the virus and demanding that they close all of the amenities.

So that's interesting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So my community has an extensive network of walking paths, numerous playgrounds, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc.  The HOA decided to leave all of those things open to its residents.  Well, the online backlash in the community facebook page has been swift and brutal.  All of the housewives are up in arms.  The HOA itself is closed due to Coronavirus fears.  People are complaining about kids playing basketball in groups of 10 or more with close contact, kids playing on the playgrounds.  They're worried that kids will spread the virus and demanding that they close all of the amenities.

So that's interesting.

A few weeks ago, kids in my neighborhood were playing football/basketball.  No organized or group games since.  I live right by the community amenities and my son is 13, so we would know if it was going on.  There are definitely a lot more people out and about throughout the day, walking their dogs, families coming up with their kids, but not in groups.  I have no desire to get all 'Karen' on anybody, so I hope things stay the course.  I actually don't blame folks in this instance for raising hell about groups playing basketball and things like that.  It's just stupid.